April 17, 2014 | 1845 users online

Shampoo - Desert Essence - Coconut Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2011 5:25:00 PM More reviews by krisiva

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I tried a lot of SLES- and paraben- free shampoos in an attempt to find the product that will really benefit my hair. And I think that this is one of the best. It leathers well and cleans perfect without drying the hair. In combination with the coconut conditioner it makes my curly hair soft, shiny and manageable. I am not big fan of the coconut smell, but this is not overpowering at all.
I bought it for a very good price from www.iherb.com (code TOV 126 for $10 discount).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2011 6:27:00 PM More reviews by psmitty

Wow, very impressed! Usually I find many natural products are either expensive or have compromised effectiveness. This is mostly natural, very reasonable and very effective for me. It cost me $8.99 CDN, which is lower than many drugstore brands here in Canada. The packaging is a fantastic, travel-friendly squeezy tube. A tiny amount lathers up and cleans my hair without drying it out. With the conditioner, I can actually comb through my hair and it has soft ends without feeling heavy. If this was a chemical, typical drugstore formula I'd be impressed with the quality, price and scent. Since this is cruelty-free and natural, big bonus!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/29/2011 9:54:00 AM More reviews by lvstunnah06

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Imagine being stuck out in the desert, your tongue like sandpaper, the hot sun bearing down on your entire body. As vultures circle overhead, you spot a juice stand oasis in the distance. Using your last bit of strength, you finally reach the stand and order the most refreshing drink on the menu. As the coconutty concoction hits your lips, you're instantly hydrated and refreshed-- brought back from almost certain death!

Yea, this shampoo is just like that, except for your hair.

Haha, ANYWAYS... Desert Essence Coconut Shampoo is awesome. Let me start out by saying that I'm due for a haircut: ends are dry, split, coarse, and close to unmanageable. After using this product, the damage isn't exactly reversed, but there's an absolute improvement.

My quest for sulfate-free, eco-friendly haircare led me to the Desert Essence brand. The shampoo itself is void of parabens, sodium lauryl/laureth sulfates, phthalates, etc. (it's also "100% vegan, wheat and gluten free", for those of you who are into that). While I don't claim to know the exact science behind why these ingredients aren't the best, I DO know they conflict with my goal of using mostly all-natural hair products.

So after reading the positive reviews of DE Coconut Shampoo on MUA (shoutout!), I made my way to the local Whole Foods to pick up both the shampoo and conditioner. Each came in at $6.99USD, which seemed pretty reasonable for 8 oz. of a product with good ratings.

If you're a fan of coconut, prepare to love the smell of this shampoo. It's a very summery scent to me-- kind of reminds me a bit of Banana Boat's tanning sprays with a hint of pineapple. So perhaps slightly synthetic, but delicious IMO nonetheless. If you're concerned about smelling like a poolside alcoholic beverage, don't worry-- the strength of the smell dissipates soon after rinsing.

Overall, I'm so happy to be using this shampoo. I'm not sure exactly how it'd work as a standalone or with another conditioner, as I use this in conjunction with the DE Coconut Conditioner. What I CAN tell you is that this shampoo has helped my hair tremendously-- transforming my frizzy, unruly ends into more manageable hair (and in the summertime, at that!).

Not sure if this is a HG, since I enjoy bouncing around from one shampoo to the next, but it's good to know that there's a sulfate-free, eco-friendly option out there that has truly brought some hydrating relief to my hair-- although I don't know how much longer I can stave off a haircut!!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2011 1:55:00 PM More reviews by koukla8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I finally found my forever shampoo, after a long struggle with dry and damaged hair. Although it is sulfate-free, it lathers really well and you don't have to use a lot.

It smells great, like (real) coconut. It isn't fragrance free, but fragrance is the last ingredient. I've probably only used it 3 times, because I only wash my hair every 4 days, but I already notice how much smoother and sleek my hair is.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/18/2011 8:26:00 AM More reviews by Rienne

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This stuff smells amazing and is fun to use, but unfortunately is much too drying to use in the long run. I ended up with crunchy straw hair after using the shampoo and conditioner for a run of one tube each.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2011 4:34:00 PM More reviews by cloroxcowgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been searching for a good sulfate free shampoo for a long time. I was buying Burt's Bees shampoos off and on for several years but I wasn't totally happy with how they treated my hair. The L'oreal Everpure line was a fail for me as well. Then I heard about this shampoo from a Youtube guru and decided to try it. WOW :o This is everything that I've wanted in a shampoo. It hydrates my damaged, colored treated hair and makes it look and feel healthy. Not to mention it has a delicious coconut scent and lathers nicely. I don't need to use very much so it lasts longer than other shampoos. In short, I'm pretty much in love with this product and look forward to trying the matching conditioner soon as well. It is a little more expensive than my drugstore shampoos, but it's totally worth it. EDIT: Several months later I'm still loving this shampoo, and the matching conditioner is just as good. I'm glad to see this product is getting so many positive reviews on here. I've noticed an overall improvement in the health of my hair with this shampoo, even when I switch off to a different shampoo and conditioner my hair still continues to look healthier from the effects of this product. I don't think I've ever experienced this with any hair products before. HG forever shampoo :D Never discontinue this Desert Essence!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2011 4:25:00 AM More reviews by OpenPlains

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This works well for me. I've used it for about a month and my hair doesn't seem any drier than it was before and there's no weird buildup or anything either. I've never cared for coconut scented products, but this version is more tolerable than many. I will continue to use this shampoo for the foreseeable future.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2011 1:34:00 PM More reviews by renia22

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

It is so frustrating to try to find a natural shampoo that lathers well and that isn't drying or that doesn't start to do weird things to your hair. The Desert Essence line has quite a few choices & formulas, and I decided to try this one since it gets so many good reviews from various sites. My hair is fine & it tends to go flat and it gets oily at the roots. However the length of it gets dried out and frizzy with the wrong products. This coconut shampoo lathers well & you only need a little bit. It does not tangle my hair in the shower, nor does it give me knots. The smell is strong, a pineapple-coconut pina colada type scent, not straight coconut. And unlike the some of the other shampoos & conditioners from this line, the coconut ones *do* contain synthetic 'fragrance' so be aware if you are avoiding synthetic scents. After drying, my hair is soft & shiny but I have to be careful because it can go a little flat throughout the day if I overdo the conditioner or if I use too much product. The key with these is to use a lot less than you normally would with other shampoos. I use about a dime sized amount on the first shampoo, sometimes skipping the second shampoo & followed with a pea sized amount of conditioner. Using less product definitely gives me better results & I end up with nice, shiny, bouncy hair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2011 2:56:00 PM More reviews by darling20

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

HG! The smell, the consistency, the ingredients. Perfection in a bottle! My hair is more fried than KFC, and this is the most moisturizing shampoo I've ever tried. Of course, this comes as no surprise, given that the ingredients are coconut oil, jojoba oil, and olive oil. I initially bought it because I'm on a mission to eliminate any and all sulfates from my daily routine (sulfates break me out). This shampoo is sulfate-free, and as the reviewer below me mentioned, it lathers incredibly well! Would recommend this to anyone, and it's only $5 on Vitacost!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2011 2:36:00 AM More reviews by emodel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Finally, a creamy natural shampoo, not the gel looking ones that my hair hates. Very creamy, and I couldn`t believe that this sulfate-free shampoo lathered this well, but it really does. All the other bio-shampoes made my hair super dry like straw. But this coconut one is fantastic! Lathers really well, it has my favorite smell on the planet: coconut, and cleans hair 100% without drying. I love it. I have very fine, wavy, colored (blonde) hair and this stuff is great. The conditioner is great too! :-)