September 2, 2014 | 1907 users online

Shampoo - Desert Essence - Coconut Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2012 2:42:00 AM More reviews by Ehrial

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This shampoo smells amazing! I bought it for approximately $10CAD which I do consider a bit steep but, a little goes a long way. For a product that doesn't have many chemicals, it lathers really well. I'm actually allergic to fragrances (I end up with patches of eczema) but, even though this smells like juicy fresh coconuts, I can use it without worry. It cleans my hair like any other shampoo and leaves it very soft. I'd recommend this to anyone that wants a shampoo that smells great, cleans your hair and is organic.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/14/2012 3:37:00 PM More reviews by ver280

This shampoo gives me frizzy hair. I have normal hair a d this just gives me awful hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2012 3:35:00 PM More reviews by kristlkrost

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! I will never use a sulfate shampoo again.Smells great and my hair is like silk and my hair was dry as hell after using Pantene only pretty much for years..All of a sudden..I also got a Culligan filtered shower head but that was after I used this and it was great before too.. Lather really well and you only need little..Yes I have bought again

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2012 9:27:00 AM More reviews by lonic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Wonderful shampoo. Gets my hair clean and smelling nice without leaving it stripped. Lathers up nice for being a natural product. +++ for amazing price, it costs nothing!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2011 8:54:00 AM More reviews by gaelicas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this shampoo along with the Lemon Tea Tree from the same brand, and I love both of them. This is a little bit more moisturizing than the tea tree one, but I don't think there is a great difference between them. Both are great for my oily and itchy scalp, and no too dry for my fine and damaged hair. They keep my hair clean for more than two days and my hair is bouncy and super-shiny. I also love that these shampoos haven't any SLS or cones. I only need one wash to clean my hair, and I pair it with a conditioner from Kiss my Face (Whenever Conditioner); my hair has never been better. I prefer the lemon scent, but this one is wonderful too.

The price is great: I bought it on iHerb for 6.03$. If you use the code LOP266 at checkout, you will save 5$ on your first order.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2011 5:25:00 PM More reviews by krisiva

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I tried a lot of SLES- and paraben- free shampoos in an attempt to find the product that will really benefit my hair. And I think that this is one of the best. It leathers well and cleans perfect without drying the hair. In combination with the coconut conditioner it makes my curly hair soft, shiny and manageable. I am not big fan of the coconut smell, but this is not overpowering at all.
I bought it for a very good price from www.iherb.com (code TOV 126 for $10 discount).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2011 6:27:00 PM More reviews by psmitty

Wow, very impressed! Usually I find many natural products are either expensive or have compromised effectiveness. This is mostly natural, very reasonable and very effective for me. It cost me $8.99 CDN, which is lower than many drugstore brands here in Canada. The packaging is a fantastic, travel-friendly squeezy tube. A tiny amount lathers up and cleans my hair without drying it out. With the conditioner, I can actually comb through my hair and it has soft ends without feeling heavy. If this was a chemical, typical drugstore formula I'd be impressed with the quality, price and scent. Since this is cruelty-free and natural, big bonus!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/29/2011 9:54:00 AM More reviews by lvstunnah06

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Imagine being stuck out in the desert, your tongue like sandpaper, the hot sun bearing down on your entire body. As vultures circle overhead, you spot a juice stand oasis in the distance. Using your last bit of strength, you finally reach the stand and order the most refreshing drink on the menu. As the coconutty concoction hits your lips, you're instantly hydrated and refreshed-- brought back from almost certain death!

Yea, this shampoo is just like that, except for your hair.

Haha, ANYWAYS... Desert Essence Coconut Shampoo is awesome. Let me start out by saying that I'm due for a haircut: ends are dry, split, coarse, and close to unmanageable. After using this product, the damage isn't exactly reversed, but there's an absolute improvement.

My quest for sulfate-free, eco-friendly haircare led me to the Desert Essence brand. The shampoo itself is void of parabens, sodium lauryl/laureth sulfates, phthalates, etc. (it's also "100% vegan, wheat and gluten free", for those of you who are into that). While I don't claim to know the exact science behind why these ingredients aren't the best, I DO know they conflict with my goal of using mostly all-natural hair products.

So after reading the positive reviews of DE Coconut Shampoo on MUA (shoutout!), I made my way to the local Whole Foods to pick up both the shampoo and conditioner. Each came in at $6.99USD, which seemed pretty reasonable for 8 oz. of a product with good ratings.

If you're a fan of coconut, prepare to love the smell of this shampoo. It's a very summery scent to me-- kind of reminds me a bit of Banana Boat's tanning sprays with a hint of pineapple. So perhaps slightly synthetic, but delicious IMO nonetheless. If you're concerned about smelling like a poolside alcoholic beverage, don't worry-- the strength of the smell dissipates soon after rinsing.

Overall, I'm so happy to be using this shampoo. I'm not sure exactly how it'd work as a standalone or with another conditioner, as I use this in conjunction with the DE Coconut Conditioner. What I CAN tell you is that this shampoo has helped my hair tremendously-- transforming my frizzy, unruly ends into more manageable hair (and in the summertime, at that!).

Not sure if this is a HG, since I enjoy bouncing around from one shampoo to the next, but it's good to know that there's a sulfate-free, eco-friendly option out there that has truly brought some hydrating relief to my hair-- although I don't know how much longer I can stave off a haircut!!

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2011 1:55:00 PM More reviews by koukla8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I finally found my forever shampoo, after a long struggle with dry and damaged hair. Although it is sulfate-free, it lathers really well and you don't have to use a lot.

It smells great, like (real) coconut. It isn't fragrance free, but fragrance is the last ingredient. I've probably only used it 3 times, because I only wash my hair every 4 days, but I already notice how much smoother and sleek my hair is.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/18/2011 8:26:00 AM More reviews by Rienne

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This stuff smells amazing and is fun to use, but unfortunately is much too drying to use in the long run. I ended up with crunchy straw hair after using the shampoo and conditioner for a run of one tube each.