Paula's Choice RESIST Advanced Replenishing Toner Skin Remodeling Complex

4.2

Not tested on animals

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone-based skin-conditioning agent), Glycerin (skin-identical ingredient), Glycerth-26 (emollient), Dimethiconol (silicone-based skin-conditioning agent), Linoleic Acid, Oleic Acid, Linolenic Acid (essential fatty acids/cell-communicating ingredients), Phospholipids (skin-identical ingredient), Carnosine (cell-communicating ingredient), Epigallocatechin Gallate, Genistein (antioxidants), Sodium Hyaluronate, Sphingolipids (skin-identical ingredients), Ferulic Acid (antioxidant), Laurdimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Soy Protein (skin-conditioning agent), Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract (anti-irritant), Acetyl Glucosamine (water-binding agent), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Ascorbyl Palmitate (stabilized vitamin C/antioxidant), Quercetin (antioxidant), Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil (non-fragrant plant oil), Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root Extract, Curcubita Pepo (Pumpkin) Seed Extract (antioxidants), Lecithin (cell-communicating ingredient), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (emollient), Hydrolyzed Corn Starch (opacifying agent), Polysorbate 20 (stabilizer), Hydrogenated Lecithin (cell-communicating ingredient), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Cellulose Gum (thickener), Laureth-23 (cleansing agent), Laureth-4 (emulsifier), Aminomethyl Propanol (pH adjuster), Disodium EDTA (stabilizer), Sorbic Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Benzoic Acid, Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol (preservatives).

on 7/18/2012 3:33:00 AM

I have tried all of PC's toners and with mixed results (Hydralight stung, Skin Balancing was okay, loved Clear Regular Strength). As a toner choice for AM use (& PM too if you have the patience to let it dry before applying your exfoliant treatment), Resist is my first choice. Soothing, full of antioxidants (I prefer just this then sun protection rather than toner, exfoliant, antioxidant serum THEN sunblock - too much for AM) & NEVER breaks me out (I'm on my fifth bottle). Leaves my combination skin surprisingly matte (being that it's a milky consistency toner).

*UPDATE 10 March 2015*
My skin type is now dry & sensitive - I no longer use this product as I find it to be a little dehydrating.

I really love this toner. It has a thicker consistency than water. I find it really soothes my skin and softens it up. I use along with the other products from the resist line I got it in a 20% off sale and id repurchase.

on 5/15/2012 11:19:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I've been using this product since it came out. Before that I had been using the Skin Recovery toner for a couple of years. The Resist just feels better, more moisturizing. For my regimen, I cleanse with Cerave cleanser using a washcloth, rubbing lightly. After that, while my skin is still damp, I pour some of this toner on a cotton pad and gently wipe all over my face and neck. I believe this will remove makeup and sunscreen at night, and in the morning traces of treatment, bacteria, and sweat, while treating my skin to Vitamins C and E and other good ingredients. When my face is dry I apply Clinique's Super City Block sunscreen (which is also my foundation) in the morning, and either the PC weekly AHA, BHA, or serum, followed by moisturizer at night. I have the usual creases for a 60+ person, but no wrinkles. I tend to get eczema but I have not had problems with this toner.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this as part of a complete set of the RESIST line (cleanser, toner, serum, daily exfoliator, weekly exfoliator, moisturizer w sunscreen and moisturizer w/o sunscreen). I have used the products from this package approximatelt half a year. This toner is so fantastically moisturizing and comfortable on your skin! I have never really understood what benefits you get from a toner until I tried this one. It feels almost as if you would have applied a very light lotion on your face. This is a keeper!

I love this toner-- as a matter of fact, I love this whole product line. Unlike alot of other toners I have used in the past which are very "alchoholy" this one is kinda creamy. I use in morning and night and I feel like it helps keep the moisture in my skin.

Love it!!

on 4/10/2012 5:33:00 AM

I would never spend this kind of money on a toner. I am a true cheapskate. However, I do not think of this product as a toner, nor do I use it as one. I put a small amount of this product in my palms and spread it onto my face as I would a lotion. The results are visible--less redness, smoother and more hydrated skin. When the results are visible immediately, as they are with this product, I take note.
I can tell the difference in my skin when I have and have not used this product--I have been experimenting over the last three months. Although the outcome is subjective, I can tell you that I will definitely be ordering this again!

on 3/20/2012 9:38:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

The only toner I have been able to use without a breakout. I absolutely love it!!

on 2/25/2012 9:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

My skin is combination and, at 62, definitely aging around the eyes, despite using sunscreen religiously since my teens. I've never been a devotee of toners until I tried this one. I could honestly see my skin plump up before my eyes! This toner is a white, milky liquid that I pat on with my fingers after using my RESIST Cleanser. It calms and smooths my skin and seems to magically erase tiny fine lines under my eyes and any slight flakiness around my nose. I can even use it on my eyelids - no stinging. Using it twice a day, a bottle lasts me about three to four months. Love it, definitely my HG toner.

on 1/29/2012 7:29:00 PM

Excellent product. I respect Paula Begoun for what she does, but at times, her delivery irks.

I have normal-dry skin (with some extremely dry patches through the year) that is extremely sensitive and rosacea-afflicted. I use this after cleansing morning and night. It truly does calm my skin both in appearance (less red, less irritated looking) and feel (less itchy and dry/tight feeling). It also removes any remaining makeup, debris, etc. I've been using it for a few weeks and find my skin to be much calmer. Even swiping this product over the eyes has produced no problems.

I do not find any smell at all (and I have a sensitive nose); it just has the typical fragrance-free scent (not perfume-y). The texture, as others has described, is not straight watery. It's a bit of a thickened/silky milk texture. To use, I put a generous amount (not so the cotton is drenched, but so it is thoroughly moistened) on a cotton round.

I have not tried the Skin Recovery toner (yet), but I did try the Moisture Boost for several days. I prefer this over that one. The Moisture Boost was not as rich (a true watery liquid) and I think it stung ever so slightly. I would recommend the Moisture Boost if you have non-reactive, normal skin that neither has any true tendency toward dry or oily. For true normal-dry skin that is sensitive, my vote is for the Resist. I will update when I try the Skin Recovery.

I don't really have any gripes about this product. While some complain Paula is pricy, compared to the ultra high end products out there that do nothing, this is OK price-wise. I try and buy on sale and paid $12-13 (and no tax) and no shipping. It's a bit hard to tell how much you have left with the opaque bottle (I know that's to preserve the contents, but I wish there were a thin strip of a clear window along the side to see what remains), but a customer service rep at Paula's Choice said 2-3 months with twice daily use.

As for comparisons to other toners outside Paula's Choice, I have not used another in years. I used to think toning was a useless step (and probably still is for many others), but this product really does soothe not only immediately after cleansing, but also in the long run (less rosacea redness/bumps of late). I've even had compliments on my skin of late and have changed nothing else in the routine.

EDIT: I tried the Skin Recovery and surprisingly, not impressed. Since it is the richest of the 3, I thought it'd be even more soothing, more milky, etc. It felt *very* similar to the Moisture Boost (lightweight, not particularly soothing, etc) and it stung every so slightly, just like the Moisture Boost. I'm sticking with the RESIST and even bought a second bottle. talked to a Paula's rep and she said that yes, Skin Recovery is the richest, but many ladies, including herself, find the RESIST even better.

on 1/23/2012 11:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

EDIT::: A really good product I have been using for several months now... it's just so expensive so I haven't repurchased, but it left my skin feeling soft and clear, so I think I'm going to have to go back to it soon. I was a bit skeptical of this toner because it didn't seem to remove any left over makeup as well as my others I've used, and it also had an odd smell, but the results were incredible when used with paula's choice skin balancing cleanser, RESIST AHA exfoliator and RESIST moisturiser... perfect combo for me, so I'll have to repurchase this again soon!

--------
Original post:

I haven't been using this for as long as I have been using other PC products but I'm not sure about this. It doesn't remove traces of leftover makeup as well as my other toners have and it smells really funky (and not in a good way haha). I will give this a go for a few weeks and make my mind up as to whether or not to go back to the ProActiv toner I have been using for the last year or so (which has helped me immensely and removes any leftover traces of my makeup after cleansing with a PC cleanser) or whether or not I will stick with this. It was expensive, but no more so than the proactiv one. I'm pretty loyal to PC products but still unsure about this. It really doesn't feel like a toner at all. Will update in a few weeks time! So far, it's only 'ok'.