November 28, 2014 | 960 users online

Crème - Neutrogena - Healthy Skin Compact Makeup SPF 55 Helioplex

rated 2 of 5 on 2/3/2012 5:23:00 AM More reviews by lyssastyle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Was on a hunt for makeup for winter for my dry skin. Thought to try this. I'm about nc 40/42 and picked up shade natural beige 60 (a bit too light). Maybe fresh beige 70 or even 80 would've been better. I have dry skin and thought a cream foundation would be best for winter, but nope not this. I like the liquid version and since I was out, thought I would try this one. This will accentuate dry patches, is not long lasting, but it is lightweight. Good uva-uvb protection, but not really good for medium-full coverage. Packaging is nice, just wish this would've worked for me or just as good as the liquid version...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2012 9:25:00 PM More reviews by three_black_cats

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using Neutrogena Healthy Skin liquid makeup for over a year now, and once I got the color right (all the lighter shades I've tried seem to go on even lighter than they look in the bottle) it has worked really well. And I love the SPF!

When I went to purchase another bottle, there was a buy-one-get-one offer, so on a whim I picked up this compact makeup in the same shade I use in the liquid. I was not disappointed. The shade was just as true to my skin tone as the liquid was in the same shade.

It isn't as moisturizing as the liquid, obviously, but it was not at all cakey nor too heavy, and the SPF factor is higher. This compact foundation is easy to apply, and the included sponge does a good job. It definitely evens out my skin tone and leaves a nice semi-matte finish, not as dewy as the liquid version. So far, it has not caked, or settled into fine lines, or streaked as my face gets more oily towards the end of the day. Your mileage may vary depending on your skin type.

I think the previous reviewer really made some excellent points. Good packaging (although it is a bit tricky) that will NOT come open unexpectedly in your makeup bag or purse. It works well for touchups, doesn't moisturize but doesn't accentuate my dry spots, as long as I have properly exfoliated and moisturized prior to applying this foundation. Love the SPF 55, but I wouldn't rely on that alone, and I always use an SPF moisturizer or base before applying makeup. With the liquid version of this foundation, I always need a powder to set it, but with the compact version, I can see skipping the powder. The application is a bit drier than the liquid form, which makes sense. This particular compact foundation doesn't leave glistening streaks of silicone as I smooth it on, which is a relief, since a lot of compact makeups just seem to either dry me out or soak me in silicone.

I can totally see taking this with me when I go out or travel because it is quick and easy and gives good results without being too heavy or cakey or greasy, and it is totally portable and self contained. I would purchase this again, but still won't give up the same product in liquid form. Both are very good products that I enjoy using. Another win for Neutrogena!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2011 11:29:00 PM More reviews by Lanolin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I think some of the negative reviews come from expecting this product to be what it is not. Yes, it is makeup but if you look at the back, it says, "Purpose: Sunscreen." So I'd say, first and foremost, it is a sunscreen....that looks and behaves like a foundation. I started using Retin-A and was looking for a compact style foundation that would be a little bit of extra insurance in the SPF department. My first impression: Semi-pricy @ $12 a pop at Target. Second impression: Solid packaging (though you need to figure out how it opens. It has an odd latch.) The sponge is kept separate from the makeup and the foundation you see through the compact is actually the bottom of the product, I guess to keep it looking pretty. As for the product itself:

1.) It smells like sunscreen (Not surprising)

2.) It goes on smoothly

3.) I would describe the coverage as "sheer-medium" and "natural." It covers but DOES NOT build. I have very red cheeks along with freckles and dark spots, and this product gave me a natural glow. Redness was very toned down and freckles and dark spots were evened out to the point of being unnoticeable. I hate the look of sheer foundation which has a tendency to look fake because it only half-covers things like broken blood vessels and freckles which makes it looks like you are totally wearing crappy foundation. I didn't have that effect with this product but like I said, it does not build so it is best to apply a thin, even layer.

4.) I noticed that it can (I'm not saying it will) settle into fine lines. Occasionally I've had to smooth out a little settling in a line or 2 but it isn't horrible. But, on a related note, I've noticed it disappearing in "high traffic" areas like my nose or corner of my mouth by the afternoon but the good thing about the product is that it touches up well. 1 or 2 light pats and the problem is totally fixed.

5.) This is essentially a sunscreen so don't expect it to absorb oil. I've had to touch up with oil blotters and a little powder around my nose every once in a while. No biggie.

6.) Unless you like the Just-Applied-Sunscreen look, you'll have to set it with powder. I used Clinique Transparent Powder which has worked really well with it.

7.) The makeup goes on lighter than what it looks like in the compact. Be forewarned.

8.) I can see how this product would NOT look good on someone with serious problem skin. On a day I neglected to exfoliate (Retin-A issues) I noticed that it "highlighted" some dry skin on my nose. It was only noticeable in a magnified mirror up-close, but still, proper exfoliation and hydration might be necessary.

My overall impression is that this is a good product. It makes my skin feel good, it goes on smoothly, and gives a naturally even look. I would give it a 5 only if it was a total miracle-worker and performed better in the longevity and oil absorbing department. But for what it is, I'm happy with it. I will totally buy this again

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/22/2011 5:54:00 PM More reviews by CiciCharmaine

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

PROS
- Sturdy packaging
- Includes separate compartment for sponge

CONS
- Dry
- (and therefore) Cakey
- Holds onto and emphasizes flakey, dry skin
- Grainy texture
- If you rub your face when it's dry, it balls up into grainy pieces!
- Looks greasy (not even close to a dewy look!)
- Sinks into fine lines
- Bulky packaging

OTHER
- Can't tell you how horrible this foundation is. I've tried to like it but can't. Even though I have only used brushes and the included sponge in this to apply this, but somehow little artificial hairs are in it! Yuck. I tried diluting this with a face moisturizer to smooth out its texture and make a tinted moisturizer, but it became even more grainy. This has made me come to hate pan/cream foundations as this is my first pan/cream foundation I've tried. I was very disappointed as I paid $13 for it and I know cheaper DG foundations that are far better. Will definitely not buy again.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/20/2011 10:58:00 PM More reviews by ag0928

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I thought this stuff was gonna be wonderful considering the liquid Healthy Skin makeup was a perfect match for my skin but I am regreting the buy now. I have been using this for awhile and thought I was breaking out from the new powder I was using over it. But since the powder is all mineral and doesn't have really any skin irritants in it I thought I would experiement. I have not had the foundation on in about two weeks but have been wearing my Physicians Formula All Mineral Talc Free Powder alone. My skin was awesome! Glowing and no bumps on my chin....finally! Today I had a job interview and wanted extra coverage. I put the creme Healthy Skin Helioplex foundation on my face and a light brush of my mineral powder over top. It is unbelievable...I put this on at 12:30pm and at 3:00pm my chin now has a bunch of tiny red bumps and a larger blind pimple which is painful to the touch now forming. This is crazyness! If you have sensitive skin DO NOT TRY THIS!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2011 5:47:00 PM More reviews by dbmiller

Greasy. And weird. I have very dry skin and yet this still makes me look like a greasball, and I happen to like a dewy look. Not a lot of coverage, and like someone else said, powder only takes down the shine for about three minutes. It also accentuates pores and dry skin. Not a fan of this one, needless to say.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/28/2011 10:42:00 PM More reviews by adkinsjr

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Bought this when looking for a non-liquid foundation for air travel, as I don't like to check my luggage. The SPF 55 seemed like a bonus as well, as I have very fair skin and burn easily. I didn't care much for the coverage; seemed to emphasize my pores. I tried application with both the included sponge and a foundation brush with similar effect. However my biggest issue was that it didn't agree with my skin creating small red bumps, so I must have an issue with one of the ingredients. If it hadn't been for the skin irritation, I probably would keep using it to see if I could improve on the other issues, but basically it just didn't work for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/18/2011 9:44:00 PM More reviews by KitoX

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Loved the SPF 55, but I just couldn't get the oily sheen off my face after using this product. Powder was only a temporary fix. I've got naturally-oily skin w/a history of acne. The "Natural Beige 60" color matched my NC42 skin tone well. This foundation didn't break me out, but I just don't have time to blot/powder every 30 min.

I'd recommend it to people w/naturally dry skin, as it's kind of greasy from the get-go.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/15/2011 9:09:00 AM More reviews by reaganyouthh

was looking for another creme foundation because the one i had was making me break out and picked this up. first things first, it's waaaay too light/yellow toned for my skin. i think this might've been because of the crappy in-store lighting. not so bad with a darker toned powder over it, though.
the pros are that it's very easy to blend and the finish is natural looking & very buildable. however, it has a tendency to sink into lines, and it drew tons of attention to some dry flaky patches on my cheeks that weren't visible at all before. i had to remove all my makeup and exfoliate the crap out of my face before i could get it to look okay...never really had that problem before with other foundations.

unless you have perfect skin with no issues like dryness or acne or wrinkles (in which case you wouldn't really need foundation anyways), i'd probably skip this foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/20/2011 3:01:00 PM More reviews by Daenaalee

This is what I use when I'm in a hurry in the morning. I like that it is easy to apply, even though the coverage is more like a tint than a foundation. I do have somewhat oily skin and I'll blot during the day, but the foundation seems to wear well. It feels moist going on and takes some time to feel dry, but it works for me.