LUSH coal face soap

Liquorice Root Decoction (Glycyrrhiza glabra) , Water (Aqua) , Rapeseed Oil (Brassica napus) , Glycerine , Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera) , Sorbitol , Fragrance , Sodium Stearate , Sodium Hydroxide , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Sandalwood Oil (Santalum austro-caledonicum vieill and Fusanus spicatus) , Rosewood Oil (Aniba rosaeordora) , Powdered Charcoal , Sodium Chloride , EDTA , Tetrasodium Etidronate , Farnesol , Geraniol , Linalool , Silver Lustre (Potassium silicate, Titanium dioxide, Iron oxides and Iron hydroxides) .

on 12/18/2013 3:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

As I am writing this review, I am currently using the LUSH Coalface cleanser as part of my morning and night skin care routine. I am obsessed with the way this cleanser deep cleanses your skin; it literally removes all the oil and dirt sitting in your pores.
At night, I use this with my Clarisonic Mia and I notice that my skin is definitely super "squeeky-clean" afterwards. This cleanser removes makeup pretty well, but I still have to use a makeup wipe or some sort of makeup remover beforehand. If it did completely remove makeup, I would have given this product a 5 out of 5 instantly.
I initially picked up this cleanser as I had tried other cleanses from LUSH such as Fresh Farmacy, Herbalism, and Bûche De Noël and had always been very disappointed in the results. I thought I would give it a shot as this cleanser is for people with combination to oily skin types, which I definitely fall under as I have very oily skin. I think the price is very reasonable; $13.95 per 100g, and that amount will last you from three to four or five months, which is crazy! You definitely do not need to purchase anymore than that unless you were going to stock up or separate it in multiple pieces for other people or whatnot.
The charcoal in this product actually really helps to absorb the oil deep within the pores, which has helped my acne from reoccurring so often. Additionally, there is also liquorice extract in here as the first ingredient, and what this ingredient does is it helps fade away post-acne marks (which I have).
It doesn't have a very strong fragrance to it, but at the same time, it doesn't smell necessarily that "good". It doesn't have a sweet smell or citrusy smell either; rather, it smells kind of just like.. soap. It's kind of hard to describe. But it isn't unbearable.
How I use it is I wet my face first with warm water, and I rub the bar on the palm of my hand until it makes a foam, and then I massage that foam over my face in circular motions for around 30 seconds. Then, I rinse, and pat dry, like normal. It deep cleanses so well that you can literally feel your skin "breathe" after washing your skin with it; it's pretty fascinating.
From all the LUSH cleansers I have used thus far, Coalface is the only one that hasn't broke me out whatsoever and that has actually made somewhat of a difference in my skin. I have been using this for the past three months, and I notice that the texture of my skin is a lot more smooth and soft than what it used to be. I use this cleanser in combination with the Tea Tree Water Toner and the Enzymion Facial Moisturizer, both by LUSH.
If there is one con about this product, it is probably that it does not have packaging to it. It is literally a "naked" product, as LUSH would put it. Which, in a way, is great, as it is more beneficial to the environment, but I would rather it had some sort of an enclosed packaging to keep the bar clean from the bacteria possibly floating around in my bathroom. Other than that, I'm satisfied. I would repurchase this and I do recommend this product for individuals with oiler skins.

on 11/7/2013 2:03:00 AM

I use this as my Morning soap, I first use my Clarisonic with the Philosophy Purity cleanser and while my face is all lathered up I grab my Coal Face lather it in my hands and rub it in with the sudsy mess on my face and rinse. As soon as I pat dry my face I instantly notice how mattified my face is. Not dry but just very matte. I then proceed to continue the rest oft morning routine. It pulls all of the crap out of my face. And for how oily my skin is, this soap has really made a difference.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

At first, I thought this product was a miracle worker. Overtime, I realized it was making my skin worse. When I first used this, it mad my pimples smaller. Overtime though, it was bringing more and more out. Although it was shrinking them, it was creating more problems. My skin started to look dull and oily at the same time. Don't ask me how that's possible, because I don't know. I'm fairly disappointed with ALL of LUSH's products. All the way from the face products to their hair products. The only products I actually enjoy are the dusting powders and stick deodorant. Skip this product along with; Herbalism (I broke out), Angels on bare skin (Did Nothing), Grease lightning (Brought more spots) and Retread Conditioner( made my hair feel like straw).

on 9/16/2013 1:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I'm 36 and just started breaking out again. I tried everything and it still wasn't clearing up at all. The first time I used Coal face my acne looked better and less red. After a week, it is no longer "active" acne, there are just spots left now. My skin is also less oily. Its quite embarrassing to have this kind of acne at my age. I just purchased another bar of this little miracle cleanser so my skin will stay clear.

on 9/4/2013 2:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

i use this on my night rutine after all the oils of my face has come to the surface, the pollution and makeup as well... so i find it very refreshing and takes away everything. this soap has two surfaces on top its exfoliating, has sand or grains or something and the other side its just the soap. so i use the soft side all the time and once a week the top side.
NO, it has not dried me, it has not irritated my skin, it has not broke me out.
I dont love the smell, it actually makes me hold my breath as im using it haha.. but its nature girls!! haha yes, ill keep repurchasing it i just love it, my face loves it.

on 7/4/2013 12:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

This was the first Lush face cleanser, I have ever tried and i must say that I'm not impressed..
First of I guess I'm just not a fan of "soap-formula" cleansers. It's really unpracticle I think, and I like things to be quick, espacially in the morning. But when you have really made it lather up, it actually feels nice on the face. Slighty exfoliating also.

Another reason why I don't like this, is because I think it made me break me out. The day after I tried this I had red patches on my cheeks and I'm pretty sure it's from this soap, because I have never really had it before? So yeah.. Not a huge fan of this Lush product.

on 6/19/2013 4:42:00 AM

So here is my review for this simple cleanser.

I have combination skin and I find this non-drying if you rinse it away after a full wash on the face. To others it may become drying especially if you let it sit on the face, which I never do with any cleanser. It works for me. It helped clear my face, helped heal my insect bites on my face and it did not clog my pores.

I will buy a fresh cut once I run out. Don't let it sit in a wet container/drainer because it will get goopy and you will waste the product. Overall it's good, except that it smells like rubber tires but the scent goes away as soon as you rinse it.

on 5/30/2013 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product is perfect for oily faces. I use this cleanser daily all year-round as I have an oily t-zone and sometimes chin. It is best in the summer when it is humid, and as soon as I use it, I can feel all the oil disappear off my face.
It does tend to dry out your face if you use it frequently, but a moisturizer will help this. I recommend another Lush product, "Vanishing Cream," which is a light moisturizer with no oil. I would not recommend this product for anyone that doesn't experience an oily face.
This product is also VERY long-lasting, which is why I rated the price so low. A small chunk lasts months. I have been using this product for 2+ years and have only repurchased three times.

on 3/11/2013 8:02:00 AM

I bought a small peice of this because even at my age
I've still got an oily T-zone.Maybe it's the wrong cleanser for me but you can't get away from the fact that it is full of irritants.What's coal powder supposed to do for skin?This was horrible, left my face feeling dry and irritated .You shouldn't have to rush for the moisturiser after cleansing. That's not a good sign no matter what skin type. In the long run made my T-zone worse.Sandlewood and rosewood oils wont help eitherJust because your skin is oily and I was plagued with oily skin as a youngster,dosen't mean you have to strip it with products like thisYou will do more harm than good in the long run..According to Paula Begoun you'd be as well washing your face in the fireplace(ok a bit dramatic)But what she's trying to say is this stuff is RUBBISH.I don't agree with all her reviews but I'm with her on this one.

on 3/8/2013 11:58:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I bought this on a whim one day when i was at the mall and i'm glad i did! My skin gets oily throughout the day even with a mattifying powder and i can really tell a difference when i don't use this in the morning. Instead of getting oily at 10, i get oily around 2. I've been using this since December and my skin has never looked this good. It really helped clear up my acne and blackheads. The reason i gave it 4 stars was because it makes my skin feel very tight and dry after i use it so make sure to use a moisturizer after washing your face with this.