Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base

4.3

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I sincerely feel apologetic for not shouting from the rooftops on this one. Excited from the reviews I purchased two. This is what I did for a week
Tried it with loreal million mascara, no difference, tried one eye with and one without absolutely no difference
Tried it with smoky lash from mufe again no difference between an eye with and an eye without
Maybe a bad batch, or maybe my eyelashes don't need it, I don't know. I wanted big bold lashes. That being said, i owe a big thank u to this stuff...knowing I was going to purchase this made me look at drugstore brands and I found my new mascara love, marcelle twist up mascara - phenomenal. As good as hypnose at a third of the price and I've been raving endlessly about it, def check it out!!!

This is my everything! It's been forever since I've last found it, you don't really run into many Shiseido products in my city. Like I said, I've bought it so long ago, and still have bits of it. I don't really recommend using it without a coat of mascara on, if you have long eyelashes, it appears quite grayish/white-ish on the ends of the lashes. But with my hard to deal with eyelashes, this is the only thing that works! A bit pricy, but lasts long, so definitely worth it!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

On its official website, Shiseido states that this product "create[s] unprecedented impact by dramatically intensifying mascara finish." It "enhances the volume, length and curl of every lash". Why is it called a "nourishing" mascara base then? Anyway, I bought this for SGD40 here, in Singapore. It is an expensive product but it does what it claims - it creates volume, increases length and curls lashes. There is a noticeable difference in how my eyelashes look like after I have applied this base and mascara. It is a base so it is a prep step. I have read reviews where people say that you can wear it alone, without any mascara. Unless you want to step out of the house with white residue on your eyelashes, this is not a good idea. When you are using this base, make sure that all your lashes are fully coated with the product. Once you have done so, you can either wait for the base to dry or apply your mascara when it is still wet. Applying mascara when the base has already dried will mean that it will be slightly difficult to apply the mascara. Mascara glides very well when the base is still wet. How your eyelashes look at the end of it all also depends on how good and effective your mascara is. It complements a mascara; it does not substitute it. Overall, this is a good product which I will consider repurchasing.

on 2/18/2013 1:05:00 AM

Tried lancome and a couple other brands, always come back to this one. make my asian eyelash stay up and curl!

on 2/17/2013 11:40:00 PM

I absolutely adore this! I'm on my third tube of this and I even buy backups when Nordstrom has their Mascara Madness events where you buy 2 and get 1 free because, for me, it's That.Good.

What Shiseido claims it does: "Intensifies volume, length and curl- Conditions and make lashes more supple- Provides elegant glossy finish when worn alone." I can say that it really does all that for my wimpy, medium length straight lashes. Between my Shu Uemura eyelash curler and this, my lashes end up looking feathery and pretty. I've come to face the fact that if I wasn't born with lush thick lashes, no mascara in the world is going to give me "va-va-voom" Samantha Barks lashes. Volumizing mascaras instead make mine look like spider legs- clumpy and sparse; however, when I want an evening look I apply two thick coats of this (letting the first coat dry before the second coat) and my mascara and that does the trick. For every day, I just apply 2 thin coats alone and I am out the door knowing that my lashes will stay curled all day and night until I wash it off. I hope Shiseido never changes the formula.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I wish I would've discovered this sooner. This product is amazing!! It makes me lashes look longer and fuller. I have long lashes, only problem is that they're straight. I curl my lashes with the shiseido eyelash curler, apply this product to the tips of my lashes and then one coat from the roots, then 2 coats of my HG mascara: maybelline waterproof full n soft. I wait couple minutes between each maybelline coat. I love using this product on my lower lashes too. Holds my curl throughout the day and easy to remove at the end of the night. Def would repurchase! :)

on 12/31/2012 4:41:00 PM

PROS: Let me first say that I have never used the old version. That being said, I like this stuff. I'm actually glad that it doesn't thicken much like the old one did because I choose mascara based on what I need. So if I am already getting the amount of volumizing I want from my mascara I chose, I don't need more. But I do think this makes my lashes look just a bit thicker and nicer when I use it. I read the other one could leave a gray film on lashes if a little too much was applied. This one doesn't, so again, I'm quite happy with this formula. Doesn't bother my very sensitive eyes at all. Seems to make my curl last longer. This also seems to make my mascara last longer without flaking/smudging.

CONS: Price. (But I now can use cheaper drugstore mascaras, because of how this makes them perform with holding curl and lasting on my lashes.) I ran into the problem that others did with it changing in the tube on me quite soon after buying. (And no, I didn't get it on Ebay or something like that.) It became sort of funky (hard to describe the texture difference) where the mascara didn't apply quite as beautifully on top of it like it did before (but it's still applies okay.)

APPLICATION TIPS: I've tried this right before applying mascara and also tried letting it dry a bit first. Either way is okay, but I prefer applying the mascara right away, while the primer is still wet. I think the mascara is easier to apply that way. The lashes just look better when the mascara is on too. And the lasting power (no smudging/flaking) was better when I applied the mascara while the primer was wet. Love using this with the Shiseido curler because it creates a curl that lasts a long time for me. Favorite mascaras to use with this: Covergirl Remarkable Mascara (stays on well for nonwaterproof) or Milani's Runway Lashes, which is gorgeous for length/volume (I cover it with Clarins Double Fix to make it last.)

on 12/26/2012 1:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a must-have product for me. I'm Asian with fairly large eyes and thick eyelashes, but the curl just won't hold on its own. This mascara base is the only thing that keeps my curl up and lengthen my lashes. Regardless of what mascara I use after using this, my eyelashes are beautiful after. I usually use this base followed by a drugstore brand mascara. It works really well with CoverGirl mascaras and my eyelashes stay bright and long all day long. I highly recommend this product.

on 11/30/2012 6:30:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

My favourite base.

Holds my curl, makes the follow up mascara apply evenly and stick to my lashes.

I can almost make any mascara better; there are some mascaras out there that can't be saved at all.

This is also great for grooming my eyebrows. I usually use the older tube that I have and it is a lot better than proper eyebrow gels for holding them in place.

on 11/29/2012 11:46:00 PM

I have tried tons of primers and I must say I am in LOVE!
I like this base for several reasons:
1- It goes on clear, so whatever mascara you wear you will be fine! No need to tons of coats.
2- It isn't hard. This is not like Lancome's base. This is very smooth, soft and nourishing.
3- It helps curling. If you have curl-resistant eyelashes this is worth trying. Curl, apply and apply mascara right on top. You will get great eyelashes.
4- Not hard to remove. Again! not your heavy white stuff! This actually breaks down easily with makeup remover, but resists humidity and heat.

LOVE LOVE LOVE

..................................................
Update:
After 6 months with this product I continue to love it and recommend it to everyone who has short and curl-resistant eye lashes.

Top Rated Shiseido Products