April 16, 2014 | 1488 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Bare Minerals Foundation #3

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2009 7:32:00 PM More reviews by hera54

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought into the mineral makeup hype since I keep hearing it's good for oily, acne prone skin, etc. I've discovered that mineral makeup is NOT made for me. If anything, it has clogged my pores, accentuated my pores, and I get all these bumps on my skin that was never there before. It's too bad since I want to like it, I liked the coverage and finish. My skin just doesn't like it!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2009 3:24:00 PM More reviews by dotix

Ugh, where do I start? Okay, I LOVE this foundation on days my skin is happy. I don't really get pimples neither do I have acne but sometimes it does to dry in random patchy spots especially in winter. I need to have happy skin to love this! This foundation makes my skin happier! ... or dare I say... happiest! The coverage is so natural and it gives my face a nice halo of light making my skin look GLORIOUS in any light. I've had friends who are close to me asking me what I did/use on my skin and i'm sorry BE, I told them it was rosehip oil (which I needed to continue using this anyway) and now I have a cult following of rosehip oil users. I went to a skin doctors office with my father and he commented on how beautiful my skin was and that was it... BE, you are on a pedestal.

However, I HATE this foundation when I have dry patchy skin... most of the time on my nose (the center of attention) and sometimes under my cheekbones. It makes it look flakier and drier. It doesnt matter if I've smothered a dozen kinds of moisturizing agents. This still highlights my dry skin so people with dry skin... stay away... far far away....

Shade #3 matches my skin perfectly and it does feel like silk. Though it says it is possible, do not try to use this as a concealer by caking on more of it on problem spots. It will end up... cakey. Crusty cakey. I've had this for a year now and I still have more than half left. I would repurchase... if it ever finishes.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2009 5:26:00 PM More reviews by w1lk1ns

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using BE foundation (in Light) for over a year now. At first I struggled to apply the right amount as sometimes it would look caked on. I think that I have finally realized that less is more when it comes to this foundation and I love it. Great coverage once you get it right, it feels wonderful, and doesn't streak or look like a mask. The Light shade is fair enough for my skin but dark enough as it has a yellow undertone that works perfect for me. When it comes to BE foundation don't pile it on, and remember that it has to "melt" into your skin. Once it sinks in it will look great.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/8/2009 12:49:00 AM More reviews by flightgirl7777

I found on my forty year old skin this makeup was far too dry. I found it unnatural and cakey. When I looked in a magnifying mirror I found my skin looked awful. I used the powder as the representative showed me, watched the dvd and yet I still found it entirely too cakey. I found myself taking half of it off after the application. In the few months I was using it, my skin has become much much drier. I know my age and winter plays a part but I do not think this powder is helping the problem. If you tend to have dry skin DO NOT buy this product. The powder tends to settle and accumulate in these areas.It was a huge problem for me. I did like the mineral powder as a translucent powder. I now use it sparingly with Armani foundation. I also had problems with the brushes losing their thistles and the powder caking up on them. I think the hype is that just hype. I feel the product made my skin look 10 years older.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/4/2009 12:33:00 AM More reviews by APaleBlondeSpeaks

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product is worse than any drugstore makeup, and please let me explain. I went to the Bare Escentuals store and their regional makeup artist from New York made me over. Unfortunately, I'd bought into the hype and didn't notice that the makeup made me look ten years older by settling into my fine lines and accentuating pores I didn't even know I had until the friends who I went with told me afterwards. When I got home in different (brighter) lighting, I saw that my friends were right even though a BE professional put it on me! But I'd already bought the "good for your skin" hype (hype that has no scientific basis), so I decided to try it out.

****On a practical level, the makeup is sorely lacking. The application of the makeup added ten minutes to my makeup time. The tops of the jars aren't labeled, so you have to turn the jars upside down to read what product you're using. And the "swirl-tap" method is messy (powder all over the counter) and time-consuming. The price is appealing until you also have to buy the brush cleaners, and all the rest of it. The marketing is genius because they essentially convince you that you need a foundation, a blush, an all-over face color, a mineral veil, and on and on, a lot of made-up make-up to take more of your money. Glee looks like mud, plain and simple. It adds another layer of corn starch to your face. The hype surrounding this makeup is unbelievable. Can you tell me the difference between the all-over face-color, the radiance colors, and the blushes? They want you to use all three, so how are all three different from just one? I'll tell you the difference: $44 dollars is the difference! Instead of just getting a blush and using it lightly in some areas, heavier in other areas, they get you to buy three different products. Bare Escentuals are also highly inconvenient to travel with because of the holes in the tops of the jars (the makeup shakes around and leaves a fine powder over everything).

****Now, of course, if you put enough makeup on (ANY kind of makeup), your complexion will look better. But be warned: this makeup is no more natural or mineral-like than any other makeup, and that's a fact, just read the labels. According to the ingredients, THIS MAKEUP IS NOT ANY BETTER FOR YOUR FACE THAN ANY OTHER MAKEUP WITH SPF. Many consumers of BE report a drying and aging effect. Upon inspecting the ingredients at home, I found that corn starch was one of the main ingredients, and I imagine there are better things to put on your face than corn starch. Within a week of using Bare Minerals, my skin broke out horribly. Right now, their blemish formula is one of their bestselling products, and now you know why. I strongly believe that Bare Minerals is all hype--an infomercial phenomenon that is the equivalent of selling you beach-front property. I saw many women around me on that Make-Under event day in the Bare Escentuals store look horrible and get taken for a lot of money. I have never seen anyone look good in this makeup, just my opinion. I have been complimented on my skin a lot and I take good care of it, but this makeup made it look terrible.

****Ladies, most commercials are under 2 minutes, but BareEscentuals has a commercial that runs much longer: the long commercial full of nothing but promises and enthusiastic accolades with no proof but well-doctored photos and well-lit models is designed to make you think that it is the ONLY worthy makeup, the savior of makeups. Consumer loyalty is created by the commercials, but the product is NOT better for your skin than other oil-free brands with SPF.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/28/2008 9:37:00 PM More reviews by ProductWhore26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This type of loose make up is not for me. The kit is an amazing value however not something I would use on the regular. Its too messy and does not give me the coverage I need. The "Swirl,Tap and Buff" is just too much for me. That is just my preference. I know that this line of product has done wonders for my sister. Its just too messy for me and not a good line to travel with or for touch ups.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2008 8:48:00 AM More reviews by achatterton

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It seems that people are either in the 'Love it' or 'Hate it' category with this product.

I happen to be in the 'Love it' category. I have used Bare Minerals (BE)Foundation for about 3 years now. I did briefly try Mary Kay's mineral powder foundation but came straight back to BE as soon as it was time to repurchase.

For me, the key to great application is having my face thoroughly moisturized and waiting for about 10 minutes before applying the foundation. In addition, the makeup seems to blend with the oils in your skin after a few minutes. I will put on two light layers, wait for 2 or 3 minutes and then assess if I need more.

Travel with loose powders is a pain but here is my trick:

The sifter part of the lid will lift off if you run your fingernail underneath the edge. I lift the sifter lid off (CAREFULLY) and pour any loose powder back in the jar. I then replace the sifter lid and wipe off any of the loose powder with a tissue. I then take a piece of scotch tape and place it over the holes on the lid. When you are ready to use the powder, remove the tape and place it on the very top of the outside lid or jar so you can reuse it on your way home.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/12/2008 11:53:00 PM More reviews by productJUNKI

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been using BE on and off for the past year. I love the coverage, finish and how it feels on my skin. The only complaint I have is I can't find the right color. The light is too yellow and the medium beige is too orange. I have found #3 to be the best color for my light/cool skin, but even that is too light. I have tried mixing colors together, but have yet to find the perfect match. For that reason, I keep trying other MMU and liquid foundations but I keep going back to BE. I hate the way the liquid foundation feels on my skin, and my face is clearer when using BE and has a healthy glow. I have also found I get the best finish with the flawless face brush (even though it is a little scratchy). Overall it is the best foundation I have tried.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/8/2008 2:01:00 PM More reviews by phoenixjn

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I hate Bare Escentuals! Sure it as a makeup it looks great but it messed up my skin big time. When I became a raw foodist two years ago, I wanted to move to all natural products. I thought that Bare Escentuals was the answer to my prayers because it was supposed to me "so pure you could sleep in it." But I kept getting break outs and my face was always slightly itchy. I could not wait to wash it off at night.

Over the two years I used it my pores got bigger and I developed an uneven skin texture. Somehow I did not make the association with the makeup and kept switching skin care lines. I thought maybe it was just part of getting old.

Finally I read the reviews on this website about the Bismuth Oxychloride. I quit using it last month and already my face looks much better and has stopped itching. I hope it's not to late to reverse the damage. Don't use anything with Bismuth Oxychloride! It blocks pores and 75% of people are allergic too it.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/17/2008 6:17:00 PM More reviews by Aquarius51o

I hated this mineral foundation. This foundation made my scars look ashy and more visible. It had this pearl like effect to it that I also didn't like. It also isn't the best foundation for darker skinned women because of the lack of colors. Numerous cheaper brands, such as Everyday Minerals and Maybelline Mineral Power are so much better. However, if you haven. near perfect skin, I'm sure this foundation would look nice on you. I have no idea why there's so much hype about this product and its "magical abilities." The brushes that came with this product are a different story though, some of the best brushes I've ever used. Anyways, I won't be buying this foundation again.