Tarte Smooth Operator Micronized Clay Finishing Powder

4.1

Translucent - Silica, Kaolin, Lecithin, Lysophosphatidic Acid, Lysolecithin.

on 12/6/2013 3:03:00 PM

Following several years of foundation disappointment (I think I'm looking for something that doesn't exist) I decided to cut foundation out of my routine and just use concealer and translucent powder. I happened to have this in my collection and it wasn't getting a lot of love, so I began to use it. I've been loving it. It sets my concealer, blurs the appearance of pores (a big skincare issue with me) and keeps my skin mattified but in a natural looking way. In all honesty it almost looks like I have foundation on in the way that my skin looks much more perfected. I buff it on with the Real Techniques Buffing Brush. It's pricey but it's going to last me a very long time.

on 11/23/2013 3:17:00 PM

I have a bunch of deluxe samples and that's what led me to buying the larger size because I really like this powder. I have been using it for a long time now and for Winter it's great for me as it doesn't accentuate flakes! I do peels and I can get flakey and some powders just make it look hideous but Tarte's does not imo. For me I have combo skin and it gets dry in the colder months so this is excellent for me. The powder is super soft and for my pale self I don't have a white cast at all. Instead it gives my skin a soft focus finish without making my blush lighter. The key with this is it really is a finishing powder so when I use this at the end my makeup stays great. It really lasts and oil control is there I do not get very oily with this, or need to blot more.

Also the big one lasts ages I even have the samples that I use for travel because you really only need a little bit to set your face. I do full face most the time or even when I go simple this powder is what I reach for because of how well it works. I also find if I have a spot once I conceal I add a dot of this over and the zit stays hidden. So it locks in makeup really well in my case. My foundation doesn't cake or get melty with this either. It also doesn't settle in fine lines or creases which I love! Great powder and one I will continue to use because the results are consistent. So Recommended!

on 11/12/2013 4:58:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have had the oiliest of skin for foreverrrrrr and the only products that ever worked to control oil broke me out. This product works! its not perfect but it keeps me looking decent, oil wise, for hours at a time. i agree that the packaging isnt great (though i got a special edition and its super cute) the way i use it is i screw the lid on and bang it upside on the table a couple times. then i take a kabuki brush and apply it. its expensive but it lasts a while.
tips:
-make sure your face is clean of oil before you apply otherwise the whitish cast is noticible
-finish applying ALL concealer/foundation first. it will repel the oil in any makeup applied on top and look weird. works well OVER makeup

It surprises me greatly that the reviews are so good for this.

The price was steep, but I decided with all the popularity, that it had to be worth it so I bought the travel size version. I was not impressed. First of all, the packaging (as many mention) is very difficult. You lose product everytime if you dispense by pushing down over the hole (as the tutorial clip from Tarte describes). Even in the tutorial clip that Tarte gives, you can see some of it escaping.

Second of all, I think it gives kind of a whitish cast on the face noticeable in photos. Even if you use a small amount---definitely doesn't seem to work well for pictures.

On the plus side, it did not break me out which was good. And yes, it does control oil. It does a pretty good job. But there's got to be something better out there, especially for this price. If you are thinking of trying it out, you may want to look into the travel size so you won't spend so much if you don't like it. The travel size is available via Amazon.

on 10/19/2013 9:14:00 PM

This powder is my HG of setting powders! It's seriously amazing. I bought it after a recommendation at Sephora. The SA told me that it's a true translucent powder, there's zero pigment in it which means it's truly clear. The moment I tried it on my hand I couldn't stop touching it! The powder made it so soft and silky, and I noticed that the lines in my hand were even minimized! So after putting it on my face I had the same results. Absolutely amazing. Kept my makeup in place all day. No shine, perfect finish, airbrushed look. I didn't really notice a whole difference in my actual skin , like no difference in pore size but when I applied it I could notice something. As for packaging I think it's genius. This pot can last me a year or more! The little hole keeps you from using more than you need! It's worth every penny!

on 10/10/2013 11:36:00 PM

Wow. This stuff is seriously amazing. I hated my colored pressed powder, it made me look cakey, made my dry patches stand out, and kept me matte for about 30 min! I went on a hunt for the translucent powders. My first pick was the HD one, but the makeupally reviews weren't that great.. Then I came across this one. I went to sephora and the moment I touched it I knew I had to buy it. It is VERRY VERY super fine. It feels softer than air, it blends beautifully into the skin and makes it feel abnormally smooth. After using this for about 5 days my blackheads have diminished, and my pores look smaller. And I know I will see more results as time goes by. I went around sephora trying all the translucent powders and this is definitely the best one. I noticed urban decays super cute convenient compact one had very good reviews too, but when I tried to smooth it into my skin it was not as soft and white powder settled into my lines. At school I will go in the br, pull this out and swirl my finger into the tiny bit that's settled in the cap , then gently smooth over in circular motions on my oily areas (tip of nose, bridge of nose, middle forehead) it's so soft it doesn't mess up my foundation or make it cakey, it fills my pores and creates a complete matte finish. Completely amazing.

on 9/20/2013 1:10:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This product is absolutely amazing I use it on my eye makeup. I have super oily skin (to the point where you can literally drill for oil on my face...people say theirs a shortage on oil in the world well it's because it's on my face). It literally absorbs the oil so that my eye make up does not budge. No creasing, smudging or raccoon eyes here and I don't need to touch up. Now it does remove shine from my forehead and cheekbones for a couple hours (2-3 hrs) before I have to do a touch up...but It's worth it. As a person with extremely oily skin I have a hard time searching for products that reduce shine (aka actually works...some products claim to reduce shine but I find that they make my skin go into overdrive and cause my skin to shine even more). This product does reduce the shine.

on 8/26/2013 9:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

For a long time I was using MUFE HD Microfinish Powder and I couldn't stand the smell or that it had so many holes because powder would get everywhere or the white cast it would leave no matter how much you blended it. A lot of reviews on the MUFE powder suggested using this instead and this was everything I wanted MUFE powder to be. It leaves a soft airbrushed effect on my face, sets my foundation so it doesn't budge and doesn't leave that awful white cast. This has one hole which at first I loved because you could get out just what you needed but now that I've used quite a bit of the product it's becoming more difficult to get out which is really frustrating. I love this powder, I just wish they had one or two more holes!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I received a sample of this in a Sephora 500 pt gift pack. The powder feels amazingly soft to the touch, my skin felt like velvet when I applied it.

Sadly within an 2 hours my skin had an oily sheen to it, and by end of day nothing was set in place.

Looks great at first, but does not mattify or hold makeup in place throughout the day.

on 7/30/2013 10:52:00 PM

Really does the job! didnt notice my pores reduce, but I dont use it everyday.my only problem is that its a bit pricy and the packing - sometimes its tricky and too muck product gets out.