LUSH Full of Grace Serum Bar

4.3

Murumuru Butter (Astrocaryum murumuru), Calamine Powder, Cupuacu Butter (Theobroma grandiflorum), Fresh Rose Petal Infusion (Rosa damascena), Organic Almond Oil (Prunus dulcis), Perfume, Fresh Portobello Mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus), Chamomile Blue Oil (Matricaria chamomilla), Rose Oil (Rosa damascena), Tagetes Oil (Tagetes minuta), *Eugenol, *Geraniol, *Benzyl Benzoate, *Benzyl Cinnamate, *Citronellol, *Farnesol, *Limonene, *Linalool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

This funny-looking thing is a facial serum, Lushís Full of Grace. It is probably the most un-serumy serum Iíve ever tried, and actually the first one that Iíve gone to the bother of purchasing on my own. It was probably the unorthodox presentation that led me to buy it in the first place, since I tend to have magpie tendencies for cosmetics in odd formats. The ingredients list sounded interesting, too Ė murumuru and cupuacu butters (like palm and cocoa butter, but not), calamine, rose petal infusion, almond oil, rose oil and portabello mushrooms. Mushrooms, really? They say it has skin-protecting vitamins and minerals ó maybe thatís a good reason for people to eat them, but I canít say I ever thought of putting them in makeup before. Still not sure if they actually do anything or if it is just a gimmick, but the rest of the ingredients definitely work.

I generally like Lushís facial care products because they usually (thereís a few exceptions) donít bother my overly sensitive skin. Not sensitive in the I-break-out-in-acne-a-day-later sort of way, but sensitive in the OMG-swelling-hives-on-my-face-where-is-the-prednisone way. My momís the same, so thanks, genetics. As I mentioned in a previous post about facial moisturizers, this tendency has led to my warily making my way through entire aisles of products and coming away with only a handful of items that are actually compatible. Iíve had good luck with a few of Lushís facial moisturizers, so thought Iíd give the serum a chance as well. The description mentions that this serum contains chamomile and calamine for calming easily aggravated skin, and I have noticed that my complexion is less red and blotchy (it still gets that way from winter weather at times, even with assiduous moisturizing) on the days I go to sleep with this stuff on.

So yes, calming and soothing, check. Moisturizing? Yeah, Iíd say so. In fact, to the point where itís a bit on the greasy side, which is not something Iíve experienced with the serum genre before. Probably because of those fancy-named butters. Itís not the type of greasiness that translates to breakouts, though, so thatís okay. It does mean that you have to wait a while between application and moisturizing and/or makeup, if you go that route, though. I usually only use this at night or when Iím going to be schlepping around the house with a bare face, so itís a non-issue. The smell is nice, sort of rosey and earthy and warm, but not in an overly flowery sort of way. Itís a scent that works well when you use it before going to sleep.

I guess that leaves us with commentary on the format. I keep my bar in the wax paper it was originally wrapped in, and that works fine. We do live in Finland, though, so itís not like we ever have to worry about anything melting from the heat, even at the height of summer. I started off applying this directly to my face, but found that I get more even (and less greasy) results from rubbing it between my palms until enough melts off, then smoothing it onto the face. Thereís usually enough to get my neck as well and any leftovers are good for my much-abused and constantly-washed hands anyway, so I donít feel like any is going to waste. I do sometimes wonder how hygienic leaving it open to the air like that could be, and there have been a few close calls where I have almost dropped it and would have had trouble figuring out how to wash/wipe it off (I mean, really, wash a bar of butter?) if I had. Perhaps some sort option for an applicator mechanism wouldnít be bad.

Would I buy this again? Sure. Itís only £8.50 a bar and has lasted me going on two months now, though Iíve not been using it on a daily basis. Would still be decently priced if I did use it daily (like I should). Serums in general are usually the priciest things on the shelves, and this isnít even in the ballpark with some of the other things Iíve been using. I have a few other jars of stuff to finish off after this bar is done, but itís definitely on my re-order list for when the time comes.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

This serum bar is great for dry sensitive skin. You rub the bar between your hands to melt it and then apply to your face. I've only used this at night so far so I'm not exactly sure how it wears throughout the day or under make-up but I have no complaints for night time use thus far.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Love this little bar so much! I have had many allergic reactions since my skin is extremely sensitive and dry. This has really worked for me. It's really soothing and moisturising. I use it as a moisturiser and I use it twice a day after cleansing with Lush's Fresh Farmacy soap bar. Both are amazing and good for my extremely sensitive skin! My skin is liking something at last!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I'm in love with this product. Unlike the other reviews, I don't find it greasy. I'm use to using oils I'm my skin, so that may be the reason. My skin feels comfortable and healthy with this product. It has calamine which is good for reactive skin, like mine. It smells divine. No itchy, red, irritated skin for me. The only criticism I have is the fact that it has no packaging.

My skin: in the past I had rosacea (flushing, red bumps and a few pustules) on my cheeks mainly. Typically oilier T-zone with dry cheeks. Very pale and translucent with dark under eye shadows. Sensitive to temperature changes.

Why purchase?: I bought this on a whim whilst browsing in Lush in January 2014 when I asked about their best moisturiser for rosacea.

How to apply?: It is a serum so I warm it up with my hands and glide it on underneath my make up.

Pros?: It does not aggravate my rosacea, it doesn't smell offensive, and it feels like a light moisturiser. It will last for ages as no product is wasted. Doesn't affect my make up routine.

Cons?: a lack of packaging. I keep mine in an upturned shell from the beach.

Recommend?: If you have sensitive skin I would give this a go - it's very gentle and contains no harsh chemicals.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Recently got hooked onto Lush products and decided to try this since my face skin is uncomfortably dry during Toronto's winter months. This seemed to work really well during the 1st week. It's like a solid bar of butter, melts into your hands. I use a generous amount of it every night after cleansing. It makes my face skin feel so comfortable and look so healthy. But after a well, it seems that it doesn't really moisturize my skin. Underneath the product, my skin seemed to be getting drier and drier continue using this. Eventually, I had to stop using it to recover the dryness of my skin. I really liked the idea of the moisturizer in a bar form, but unfortunately it doesn't moisturize well over time.

AMAZING! Love this product! I have really dry skin & as a serum/face oil goes I don't find it moisturizing enough on it's own without adding rose hip oil over the top however, I use this everyday as an 'anti-acne' agent. The 1st bar of this I purchased I noticed my (regular) hormonal breakouts weren't as prominent or inflamed....no one would've known looking at my face that I actually had any pimples. They also fully cleared much quicker than normal. When I ran out of the 1st bar I wasn't going to repurchase, however after two days I had a massive breakout.....I repurchased as it was the only thing I had changed in my routine....after a couple of applications the redness was gone ' my skin was noticeably clearer. After battling adult acne & hormonal breakouts (despite having dry, dry skin) for well over 10 years with regular use of this serum I barely get any blemishes at all!!! I simply would not be without it now!!! I would urge lush to make a tin for it though.....I struggle to store the product well....

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

this product has me conflicted.

for one thing, this serum does not have a designated tin that they sell to store it in, but trust me when i say you WILL need one. i had to bring my own so i wouldn't have another one melt on me and become unsalvagable.

serums aren't cheap in the first place, so fifteen dollars didnt seem that much even though it appeared small, and i figured maybe the solid form meant i'd be using less because the product was compact, but now i'm not so sure. i can already see the wear on the bar and i've only had this one for maybe a week. i haven't even used it every day. i love the smell and the effect it has on my skin, especially in the winter. it leaves me feeling glowy somehow. but as far as the price, i have to hesitate.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I really like this product. The scent is divine. It is really moisturizing and seems to agree with my skin so far. No dodgy winter skin so far!

It is expensive for a very very small bar but it seems to be lasting really well. It doesn't really work under make up though - my foundation goes patchy over it so I think its best used at night.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

LOVE this little thing. Perfect for my winter skin, gets dry easily but nothing too gnarly. I put this on before bed every night and I swear it helps calm pimples so much. Also skin looks just generally more supple, even, and brighter. Just melts right in and smells delicious. I've attributed this to my sleepy time smell. No complaints except its hard to travel with, but what can they do? I just have them put mine in a little tin (that their hard shampoos come in) and it fits perfectly. BUT if I know that I won't be home immediately and its warm outside, I have them put it in their plastic containers, because if it melts I can just refrigerate and it holds it's shape. I would NEVER put it in one of their paper bags, if it melts, you're out $15.