April 21, 2014 | 1394 users online

Makeup Brushes - Ecotools - 6 Piece Eye Brush Set (5 brushes + case)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2012 6:05:00 AM More reviews by samsungasong

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

When I began using makeup brushes I didn't know which ones to buy & for $5 I thought these were a great start. I had a similar problem when I began painting on canvass & it wasn't until I tried a few different types that I became aware of my preferences. This set comes very nicely presented. It comes in a roll up pouch & plastic package - ideal as a gift. My favourites are the eye shadow brushes for application & blending yet my most favourite is the eyeliner brush for more precise application such as the crease, eyeliner to both top & bottom lashes & lid colour if I'm not wanting it to overlap to the crease. I havenít given them 5 lippies because there are some brushes I don't like such as the blush brush as I feel it's too big for what I prefer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2012 4:09:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

EcoTools calls this six piece brush set an "eye makover on the go". Each of the five brushes is designed to have multiple functions. These brushes feature "soft, cruelty free taklon bristles, recycled aluminum ferrules, and sleek bamboo handles." EcoTools is a wildly popular brand among bloggers big and small. As most already know, EcoTools make very reasonably priced brushes and other cosmetic accessories that can be bought worldwide at just about any drugstore and major retailers. I bought this brush set at Rite Aid on a buy one get one free deal for $7.99, the MSRP, but I've seen it priced for as low as $6, a great deal. I believe EcoTools products are made in America, they are a cruelty free brand.
The five brushes come wrapped up in a small hemp and cotton brush roll that resembles an envelope when closed via velcro. A small mirror can be found inside. It's a decent quality mirror, but too small to do your makeup with, except maybe lipstick or gloss. Five elastic loops inside hold the brushes in place. The case isn't cute by any means, but it's functional and well made. I don't store my brushes in this brush roll, but I do use it for travel purposes.
The brushes in this set are travel size, about five inches long from bottom of the handle to tip of the bristles. Each lacquered bamboo handle features the EcoTools logo and brush name carved into them. The aluminum ferrules are firmly attached to the handle and hold the synthetic bristles in place well. Each brush is dense, silky soft, splay free, washes well, and doesn't shed. The quality is fantastic, especially considering the price.
The first brush in the set is the Blend brush, also known as the Large Eye brush. . Large Eye brush is, in my opinion, a more apt name for this brush for two reasons. First off, it's an entirely different shape than most blending brushes, instead of being fluffy and round, this brush is flat but full, coming to a slightly rounded tip, not really the shape I think of for blending. The other reason? This brush's head is legit the same size as my eyelid. How can I blend with something that takes up the entire surface of my eyelid? That being said, this brush does blend really nicely, but I prefer to use to to apply a light wash of color over the whole lid in one go. This is a lazy day kind of brush.
Next up is the highlgiht brush. Long bristles taper into a softly pointed tip. I have never once used this brush to highlight, mainly because it's the perfect crease brush for my eye shape. I would buy this whole set again just for this brush. It applies and blends shadow into the crease flawlessly. It's the ideal shape for hooded, deep set, almond, or Asian shaped eyes, anyone with a small crease. Thinking about it, I suppose this brush would be good for highlighting for those with larger, rounder eyes. The precise point would be good for applying just a touch of shadow under the brow or in the inner corner.
The third brush in this collection is the Smudge brush. I think this brush could be improved upon a little. What would I change? I'd make it just a little stiffer. Because EcoTools Smudge brush isn't quite the stiffness I'd prefer, I find that it doesn't smudge shadow or liner as well as I'd like, but it could get the job done in a pinch. I prefer to use this brush in the outer V and to define the crease, it's the perfect size, shape, and density.
The Shade brush, a.k.a. the Petite Eye Shading Brush, is a teeny tiny shading/paddle brush, definitely the littlest one that I have. This brush is perfect for it's assigned function, it packs on eyeshadow beautifully, can be used to blend a bit, and is thin enough to use along the lower lash line. This brush is ideal for detail work and precise, perfect application.
Last and probably lease is the Crease brush. A gently angled brush, it's only a little too big for my crease, but it should be fine for most eye shapes and sizes. I use this brush when I want an extreme, rounded crease but it's otherwise impractical for me, personally. It's not a bad brush, it's just not suited for my smaller eyes. It blends really nicely, and creates a nice shape. This is the brush I reach for least frequently.
I really like the EcoTools 6 Piece Eye Brush set. There isn't a bad brush in the bunch. However I don't feel like it's fully complete. This kit could use a little angled liner brush or perhaps a fluffy blending brush. Of course I feel like most kits need an angled liner brush though, they're my favs. Aside from that, EcoTools offers a good selection of eye brushes, definitely all you need if you're traveling. This brush set is excellent, potentially some of the best brushes on the drugstore level, but I think everyone says that. I would repurchase this brush set if I needed to, but they seem very good quality, so I likely won't have to at least for quite a while. Go get these brushes, it'll be eight bucks well spent!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2012 12:47:00 AM More reviews by cheeky

i can't say enough good things about these brushes! i have had the blush brush for months, it has held up wonderfully, no shedding at all. i got the kit recently and am super impressed. i use the concealer brush with my mac studio finish concealer, the only thing better than the blush brush is the large powder one that i purchased separately. i got this kit at walmart, they are super soft and amazing quality for such a low price! i will purchase the bronzing brush next,

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2012 2:11:00 PM More reviews by EmiriamdD

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

In addition to everyone else's glowing comments about these brushes I want to add that the short handles are a godsend to the extremely myopic (namely me). I have to apply makeup holding a mirror very close to my face and these cute little brushes allow me to do that much more easily than most other brushes. Granted, I currently own a gazillion brushes and love them all but these little cuties are just so easy to work with. Also very well made, don't shed, cruelty free, soft, go back to their original shape after washing. Oh, and did I say cute?

rated 4 of 5 on 9/10/2012 12:54:00 PM More reviews by Dekilah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this a while ago at a grocery store on sale, but had not really used it until recently.

Now I have started to dabble in make-up and specifically smokey eyes and darker, blended styles. These brushes are really all I need to do that. The only other brush I use is an eyeliner brush. I will note that I have never really used any other brushes since I just started seriously experimenting with higher quality make up and such.

Here are the brushes and my take on each one (largest to smallest):

Blend: I use it to blend and it does a good job.

Crease: I do not use this one as much, but if I want a light sweep of color I will use it and then occasionally to blend as well.

Highlight: I pretty much use it to highlight on my brow bone and then at the inner corner of my eye. I use a lot of dark colors so this tends to be my light color brush. It is a bit big for the more precise application, but it works okay.

Shade: I use this the most. Generally I use it to pat on and apply the dark colors. I can use the shape to create the V or wing on the outside corner as well. My favorite of the set.

Smudge: Honestly, I do not use this much at all. I really just have not had a chance and have not really thought to use it when I do smudge. I tend to just use the Shade brush.

Some general notes on the brushes: The bristles are quite soft, but also the right amount of stiff. They seem to pick up color well. I like the overall sizes as well. The do not take up a lot of space and would fit nicely in my purse.

I really like the little case. It keeps everything neat and keeps me from having to search for brushes in my make up kit.

Overall, I will definitely be purchasing more brushes from Ecotools.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2012 11:12:00 PM More reviews by sweetfart

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Very impressed by this drugstore brand. Granted, I'm not claiming to be a brush connoisseur. But I have owned some MAC and other high end brushes before, and I honestly can't tell the difference between the feeling of their brush hairs and Ecotools brush hairs. I love that these are travel sized and can be neatly stored away in the handy pouch provided and thrown in my makeup bag or purse. I wish more companies would come out with travel eye brush kits.

I am a hard-core faithful of the daily cut crease look, so having the right cut of brushes is crucial. Using Inglot's 107R shadow, I use the smudge brush to cut the crease with my darkest color. The shading brush is used for the lid color. The highlight brush is used as for the medium color to deepen the crease further and blend out the cut crease line. Then I use the large blend brush with the lightest, taupey color to blend everything together. The crease brush is sometimes put to use to contour the sides of my nose or highlight smaller areas.

You can literally use these however you want, doesn't have to be according to what they labeled each brush's use.

In terms of softness, I would say these have a medium stiff-soft feeling. They don't feel as wirey as elf's brushes, but maybe not as ultra soft as Japonesque. I haven't used them long enough to see if there is significant fall-out in bristles or if they break after use, but I will update.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2012 11:51:00 PM More reviews by Marchoiness88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this at rite aid for 7.99 (Walgreens is more expensive) by the recommendation of a few ladies on the board. I love these things. I believe that the short handle helps you get a good grip and better movement when applying shadows. The brushes can be used for things other than stated (I.e the blending brush for highlighting). The bristles are soft and blend shadow like magic. I noticed no shedding after washing them twice. The holder is pretty cool but because of the light color, has a habit of getting dirty. If you get a chance, try the mini 5 piece face kit. It's awesome as well.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2012 12:44:00 PM More reviews by HotPinkLipstick01

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this yesterday at Walmart for 7 dollars. The brushes are good quality but they're kind of awkward. The shading brush is small but some of the others are huge. But it does work. You just have to get used to it :)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2012 10:21:00 PM More reviews by MMDLS

I bought these brushes on amazon for like 6 bucks and it was totally worth it :) theres 5 brushes and a little bag/wrap (but u probly already know that lol) They are these cute little bamboo handled brushes with white bristles with brown ends and theyre short brushes so they'll fit pretty much anywhere and theyre perfect for touching up in a hurry. And a plus is that theyre greener than most other ones :) One thing I will say is that I dont use the brushes for their specific use (each handle is labeled for a specific use). For example, the biggest brush says its for blending but I use it as a big shader and the highlighting one is better as a blending brush lol but maybe thats just me being wierd. Hope this helped!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/30/2012 10:57:00 AM More reviews by MasksOffMasksOn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I ordered this set since I wanted to have few smaller eye brushes to go in my morning makeup bag. These brushes are short in their length, but the Blend, Highlight and the Crease brushes' heads are SO big! Bigger than normal brushes. So you can't really apply eye shadows accurately with them. I've also found the Shade brush to be too small for anything but applying a light shadow in the inner C of the eye. The Smudge brush was too itchy to use around the eye area... The Blend brush even lost some hairs, and that was a big turn off for me...
BUT- I've found out that if I use them differently they do a pretty nice job so overall I did find use for them all and after the first not so good impression I had on them, I started liking them.
I use the Blend brush as a highlight brush.
I use the Highlight brush as a crease brush- it's perfect to blend shadows in that area.
I use the smudge brush to conceal tiny areas.
I use the crease brush as a shade brush, even though it is a little too big for that.
I use the shade brush to apply highlighter in the inner C of the eye.

The brushes are "green" and the case is really comfortable to carry while traveling. They are also soft and nice to hold.

So- Not a "must have", not even "good to have", but OK to have.