December 20, 2014 | 1404 users online

Styling Products - Sexy Hair Concepts - Powder Play

rated 4 of 5 on 8/24/2011 4:12:00 PM More reviews by laradaniellepark

I have the thinnest, most drab hair that no amount of teasing could fix...until my stylist showed me Powder Play. I start by pulling up the top layers around my crown in 4 pieces and then sprinkle the product on my roots, then I take a comb and gently tease the hair near the roots. It keeps my pomps and ponytails full and voluminous throughout the day. It has a lot of staying power and since I only wash my hair every other day, I can usually restyle my hair the next morning without adding any product. I have not tried this without teasing my hair so I don't know how it would work on it's own, but if you tease your hair and you're looking for volume- this is it. The only con is that you need to really massage the crap out of your roots/scalp in the shower to get all the product out, but I love long showers so I don't mind.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/11/2011 4:39:00 AM More reviews by sharninini

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

i hate flat hair but try to avoid blowdrying at all costs to keep my hair healthy and with natural wave, which i prefer to a straight blowdry.

well, this really is a MIRACLE PRODUCT. i put it on my hands to control the amount and then rub it into my roots under the first layer of hair. works well even without shorter layers, cannot see or smell it, and it doesnt make hair gunky. i was warned would make my hair feel gritty but I FEEL NOTHING! EASY TO WASH OUT AS WELL! cannot feel it at all.

PROS
-add volume and texture
-can be used on dry hair
-a little goes a long way
-small bottle easy to take around
-doesnt require heat
-cannot see, smell or feel
-washes out easily

CONS
-expensive (but worth it)
-small bottle, but product should last long time
-can make my fly aways a little more pronounced

HIGHLY RECCOMENDED!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/19/2011 10:39:00 AM More reviews by KiwiPi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

This is one strange product, and I'm still experimenting with how to best use it...but overall, I do really like it. Like some other reviewers, I bought it based on my stylist's recommendation. I have an extremely annoying cowlick at the crown of my head that makes my hair lie pretty flat, when I wear my hair in a stacked bob and want LOTS of volume there. Have struggled for years to get some lift in that area. Powder Play ACTUALLY DOES IT!! But it does feel weird. Chalky and coarse...but I'm OK with it. I have to use more product than I figured I would, but that's just par for the course with my hair. As at least one other reviewer mentioned, it is extremely difficult to wash out. I've had times where I've intensively shampooed the crown of my head twice and still have some product in it afterwards. Still...it's not perfect, but I do love it.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/22/2011 8:32:00 PM More reviews by Lilypill

This stuff is awesome! I have fine blond hair & my stylist showed me how to apply it correctly. I love the stuff & will definitely buy it again!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/10/2011 2:27:00 PM More reviews by Lisalisa29

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I really wanted to love this product but I HATED IT.

My stylist tried it out on me to give me some body...I have long blonde hair and it's very fine so I don't get much body. It felt weird but I gave it a try on her recommendation.

But I could not wash it out of my hair...it was sick. I had to wash it many times to get it out. The shampoo wouldn't even sudse up ahaha

I bought it at Ulta after my salon visit....I did try it out like my stylist showed me, tried it for 2 days and said forget it...returned it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2011 7:51:00 PM More reviews by makeupofdesire

My hubby and I just got our hair cut and colored 2 days ago and our hairstylist used the powder play on both of us. WOW is what we both say! Neither of us have washed our hair yet (veggin on vacay) and the volume we both got from the product on Wed. (now Fri) is still here! it looks like we both just walked out of the salon. The product is amazing and does exactly what it says it will do. You can constantly massage your scalp and reboost the volume, if necessary. Hubby even wore a beanie for 1/2 the day and took it off and his hair went right back into style(faux hawk). Hubby is going to the salon on Tues when they open again and he's buying us both one! And you should buy yourself one, too!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2010 10:48:00 PM More reviews by saucyblossom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Fabulous lift for my fine hair! Be sure to apply correctly though..(.I really don't see any way this product could be useful if the directions were not followed exactly). You should section the hair, like you were going to tease it , but don't, Instead shake a little powder near the root, lay the hair down where you want it to lay and run your fingers through your hair where the powder is. . You will feel the hairs start to get slightly sticky and stand up. The more you play with the powdered area, the more volume you get! It lasts all day, washes out fine for me, and doesn't show at all in my brown/ black hair. Even my husband and students ( high school) have commented on how nice my hair looks lately. Pretty awesome stuff for us fine haired gals!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/3/2010 6:31:00 PM More reviews by alysser

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Someone gave me this product and I didn't know how to use it at first. I kept putting it in my palms and trying to rub it into my roots and it wasn't really doing anything. My friend who's a hairdresser showed me how to use it the right way and now I really LOVE IT!!
I sprinkle a little on right at my root and it's instantly awesome and huge. You don't need that much to make it look good.
I just wish it didn't come out of the container so fast- the powder is so fine and the holes in the lid are just a little too big I suppose! I'm always afraid too much will come out. Besides that, I really like this stuff a lot.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2010 12:41:00 AM More reviews by frenchconnection

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product reminds me of Prescriptives Magic Powder....only for the hair. It's a white powder and is packaged in a small shaker bottle. You're supposed to shake it in your hair, but I didn't use this method. I shook a bit of product into my hands, rubbed them together and then rubbed my hands through my hair (at the scalp). I don't notice any fragrance, and I really like that. I did notice the product residue was difficult to wash off my hands.

I was looking for something to replace my Oscar Blandi dry shampoo as it tends to make my hair a little dull and white. This is an improvement, but it's not entirely fitting the bill. I have long, highlighted hair that is thick and fairly coarse. I don't feel this product works that well on long, thick hair. If you have short hair, it will probably give you more lift and volume at the roots.

Overall it's a nice product, and I like the concept. Would work best for those with shorter hair

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2010 1:17:00 AM More reviews by sugarbrokespice

So it turns out this product is kind of awesome. I have to admit I was kinda expecting it to suck. But I was really curious to try it, so I got the travel size for $2 at Trade Secret. I used it for the first time today and WOW, it does exactly what it says it will on the bottle (which is a pretty big deal, since most hair products promise the moon but rarely deliver). It adds loads of volume (which is very hard to do with my super fine hair) and texture. I wore my hair in a side pony today and it stayed looking fluffy and cute, with volume at the crown. I don't tease my hair, but I imagine this product would work great for people that do.
This product is very unique. I've never used anything else like it. It comes out of the bottle a white powder, but turns almost liquid-y when it touches skin or hair. The directions say to shake it directly onto your hair, but I shook it into my hands first, rubbed them together, and then applied it to my hair (concentrating on the roots, mainly). My hair color is medium brown and, even though this powder is white, it did not leave any weird white residue on my hair. It blended right in once I applied it.
Planning on getting the full size of this as soon as I can. The only down side is that it is kinda on the pricey side.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No