September 17, 2014 | 1781 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #130 Short Duo Fibre Brush

rated 2 of 5 on 7/12/2012 1:17:00 AM More reviews by Arod4744

Oh the Mac 130 how I dont like you. This brush was so expensive and it shed so much it not ecen funny. I used this with liquid foundation and i kept having to remove the hairs from my face it was ao annoying. Sigmas F80 is so much better then this brush a cost less. The washing and drying of this brush is very easy. But in the end i regret buying this brush wish i could return it ..

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2012 11:27:00 AM More reviews by feveragnes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

MAC 130 Duo Fibre Brush is a brush with dense bristles to apply and blend creamy and powdery products. I tend to use it to blend out concealers under my eye as its size is perfect for the area. The coverage is full and natural, yet does not take up as much product comparing to using a traditional foudation brush. It is easy to just stipple it on my skin and no irritation has been caused so far. Blushes and bronzers can also be applied with this if the products are not so pigmented, and the colours are sealed properly on my skin. It gives precise application and does not shed. If you like the 187, you'll also love 130 for smaller area application , it's just 130 is much more densely packed and so it's easy to apply too much sometimes. It's very expensive for such a small brush but I think it's worth it and I reach for it every single day, replacing my MAC 195 concealer brush which is a bit too small to blend concealers to cover my dark eye circles and freckles.

One more plus is that it's so easy to wash and dry - much better than traditonal foundation brushes which pack up so much foundation and it can never be 100% washed off.

Bristles: 4.5/5
shape: 5/5
versatility: 5/5
application: 4.5/5
price: 4/5
Overall: 4.5/5

rated 3 of 5 on 6/23/2012 2:18:00 AM More reviews by cocolovescocopuffs

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

In theory I love this brush. It works great and I like the finish it provides with my foundation. HOWEVER I have washed it now about 10 times and its still bleeding black dye and the white bristles are now grey. I know this doesn't affect how it functions but it bothers me still and I'm mad about it and the MAC store closed in my city so it would be a real PITA to return it.

UPDATE: I contacted MAC customer service over the phone and they sent me a new 130 brush and a label to ship back the old one. It doesn't bleed, not even the first wash (yay)! but it doesn't seem as bushy/dense as the one I'm sending back to them. I think it has fewer bristles but it could just be that its brand new and unused.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2012 1:16:00 PM More reviews by DPD

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was using an equivalent of the 187 (Ruby & Millie one from Boots UK) and also a regular type of syntheic foundations ( i have about 5! MAC, Smashbox, Japonesque) and saw this when it first came out alongside one of the cream compact foundations that MAC released. Using only liquid foundations I initially passed but being a product junkie i bought it.

I use this for all my foundations just not TM. Thebestthing about this brush is that you can get a great finish with a full coverage foundation which i rarely use by stippling the smallest amount. This way the look looks so much more natural, than applying layers of medium coverage. It also lasts longer.
There is no streaking and i havent experienced any fallout or splaying.
It also has worked with my dreaded Benefit Foundation faker which i was about to throw out. I still dont like it but i will wear it using the 130 when im at home or just going out to do chores.
I use this brush most days. Ive tried it with the new type of foundations that set like Chanel perfection and althoughi dont like the foundation per say as its too heavy and cakey and makes my normal skin look dry this brush allows me to put on a light coverage.
Worth the money

EDIT I dont reach for this all the time partly because I have about 6 foundation brushes and have just purchased a beautyblender. But what I will say is i do use it for applying primer as it does the job perfectly. I also dont use it for TM but more for medium coverage foundations (I dont really use heavy coverage ones)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2012 2:50:00 PM More reviews by DannyMAC

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Hey everyone. I was definitely tempted not to buy this brush, due to the so/so reviews and people complaining about fall out. Actually, I was interested in the 187, but after I used the 130 on myself first, I was sold. Didn't even bother using the 187 (which were the same $42 price...WTH). I really like this brush. I like that it gets all the little corners by the nose and you can build up your foundation too. ALSO, can use this for cream blush/bronzers YAY. I will say, that after one was, it had some splaying, which is more annoying than anything.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2012 8:17:00 AM More reviews by cat1201

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This brush gets used every day for applying my foundation, and is small but dense enough to really work your foundation in to the skin. I'm a bit shocked to read that a lot of people are having problems with their 130 shedding, mine rarely does. It is very versatile - you can use it to apply foundation, cream/liquid products, powder, bronzer, what ever you like but I think the brush works best with liquid/cream products. I occasionally use it for my cream blushes as it blends them well.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2012 2:40:00 AM More reviews by bsampson09

The biggest problem I have with this brush is pretty much what I have seen with almost everyone else- the fall out! I've been using this brush for over a month and I still get little bristles on my face. I have heard that washing your brushes with baby shampoo BEFORE you start using them can help with fall out. I'll try that next time.

As for the actual brush itself, I LOVE how it works! It applies just the right amount of product so I'm not wasting any (I use this for applying my foundation) and it gives me a more natural, almost airbrushed look, compared to using sponges or other brushes.

The size of this brush is perfect! It does take a little longer to apply foundation than with the larger 187, but it allows you to get closer application around your nose and under the eyes.

In all, I think this is a great brush, but I would also like to try another stippling brush with a smaller price-tag, and hopefully get less bristle fall-out!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2012 3:03:00 PM More reviews by MoMo25

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this for cream blush and bronzer. I felt that this brush felt pokey. I do feel that this brush does the job of blending cream products well BUT I have a cheaper brushes (Sonia Kashuk, EcoTools, etc) that do way better and much cheaper! I had to return this brush because it was not worth it at all.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2012 9:51:00 AM More reviews by cherylf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

My first brush shed like crazy, so I exchanged it and the second one is MUCH better. I don't wear foundation, but I use this to apply concealer where necessary and it's great. Would buy again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2012 2:36:00 PM More reviews by TiaDGB

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

This would have gotten five stars had it not been for all of the shedding. Maybe I just got a dud, but everytime I use this brush to apply my liquid foundation, I end up having to pick little bristles off of my face. Also, the hairs seem to kind of fray out easily, so you need to be very careful when storing this brush (I recommend a good brush guard). That being said, based on performance alone, this brush is definitely deserving of a 5/5.

MAC's 130 brush is like a smaller, more densely packed version of the 187 Stippling brush (so if you love that, then you should definitely give 130 a try). It's small (the head is probably the size of a quarter) and densely packed so it gives great, precise application in areas like around the nose and eyes where a standard sized stippling brush would be too large to allow for precise application. Since this brush is densely packed, it allows for lots of control (yet it still has give). I mainly use this brush for liquid foundation because I find that I have to use very little product to get even, flawless coverage. Have you ladies ever experienced streakiness when applying liquid foundation with your fingers or a standard flat foundation brush? Well, never with the 130 brush. The best way to describe the finish that this brush provides is smooth and air-brushed.

Apart from liquid and cream foundations, I also like to use this brush for cream blushes and bronzers (best brush I've ever used for cream products since it distributes them so sheerly). Though this brush DOES work for powder blushes and bronzers, it's not my favorite. I think that a standard blush or contour brush would be better for powders.

Ladies be aware that this does not pick up tons of product so the coverage of your foundation may be sheerer than what you're used to if you use a regular foundation brush. For me that's a good thing though. This brush will never make you look cakey.

At $42 US, this brush is pricey as hell, but since it's so multi-purpose and high quality, I consider it well worth it. And if you take proper care of it, it will last you for years. I usually wash this with very gentle shampoo (baby shampoo is great if you have it). Be careful when washing though, because as I said the bristles have a tendency to splay.

And for anyone wondering, this brush is a blend of both natural and synthetic fibers.

Also, the Sigma F80 Flat Top brush is similar to MAC 130 for those of you who like the idea of this brush but not the price tag. Sigma's brush is slightly wider and flatter, but it essentially does the same thing.

To sum it up, I love the the effect and ease that this brush provides when applying my creme and liquid products, but I could definitely do without the shedding and splayed bristles. I will purchase again if I ever need to.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No