November 24, 2014 | 1143 users online

Foundations - Lucy Minerals Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2013 12:44:00 AM More reviews by vyuen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I have using Lucy Minerals for over 4 years now, love it especially using the hot summer days. I do have drier skin in winter so I usually switch to a liquid mineral foundation or bb cream for those cooler months. I tried many mineral foundation brands (those big names out there like Bare Minerals, Everyday Minerals & many others) and ended up with Lucy Minerals, and is still loving it after 4 years!

This mineral foundation has decent coverage, no sparkles, medium to even full coverage if layer it with a good mineral powder brush. At my age, I need medium coverage at least and this mineral foundation works really well for me. So far, I tried both their original and their light formulations, both work fine for my skin too. My skin does get sensitive once in a while, but so far so good, no reaction at all.

I start with my daily sunscreen lotion to prep my skin, and then gently buff this foundation on, and layer it if needed for extra coverage. I then wait for a few minutes to let the foundation sinks in. You will notice the texture gets almost creamy like with the warmth of our skin, which I like (because it is not the super mask like matte look. This has a soft satin texture once it gets warmed up to our skin). I then finish off with their finishing powder (a thin layer) and I am good to go for a day there.

For reference using MAC foundation: I am generally NC25 all year round, winters I can wear as pale as NC20, and summers I can wear up to NC30. I am Asian & have light warm skin tone, so the shade 'Cream' works well for me. I tried the shade 'Light' but it is too pink for me. I also try to mix (they offer custom mixing too) with 1/2 cream 1/2 light and it works good on the days when I need a little touch of colour to my face, otherwise, the Cream shade alone works well too.

Price is really reasonable for the amount you get, a little goes a long way so a regular size should last you a long time. They also have sales & promos periodically so I do get a good deal with my purchase.

Definitely my 'go-to' for mineral foundations, and will continue to re-purchase in future.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2013 11:14:00 AM More reviews by Missconsistency

I read Ms.Langguth mini history of what got her to start her own good mineral make up line. I find it to be very inspiring of how she got her inspiration from her father Mr.Theiss whom happened to own a pharmacy. Where Ms.Langguth ended up mixing in her own special skin solutions. Also i find her Mineral make up ingredients to be so unique, different and interesting as her mineral make up contains as you can see this picture shows to read, Green coffe bean extract, Apple Poly, and Magnesium! Those ingredients and her story of what has led her to come up with this special Mineral make up is what got me itching to buy and try out her products. Feel free to visit my beauty site http://www.vividsavvy.com/ to see my review on Lucy minerals.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2013 7:56:00 PM More reviews by Siylii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Website looked shady to me (seriously, an AOL email address?!), but it's actually the best makeup I've ever tried. As a long-time user of mineral makeup, I was getting frustrated with the lack of coverage I was experiencing with another highly rated brand (EDM). A Google search and lots of blog research led me to Lucy Minerals.
Normally, my face requires all kinds of preparation and maintenance to handle the oilies. This brand's OCC formula lasts better than any other makeup I've tried, mineral or otherwise.
This is also the best coverage I've seen yet from a mineral makeup. Honestly, when I first put it on it looked chalky and I almost panicked. But after a few minutes on my skin, it seemed to warm up and settle in a more natural way, blending in beautifully but with awesome coverage. My skin has never photographed better, even with a huge red zit and no concealer. My favorite is the OCC formula in Pale Olive. I bought three jars of Fair only to discover later that PO is way better for me. No exchanges on foundations, unfortunately.
Brand has an awesome range of formulas and plenty of shades for lighter skin tones, but they don't go very dark. Use a moisturizer or BB cream to help the powder blend naturally.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2013 12:08:00 PM More reviews by doriano

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I live in Brazil, Rio de Janeiro = hot and humid weather.
Really like this foundation. Works perfectly for me, but I don't use foundation for long periods of time (so I can't comment on this aspect). I got the Lucy Light and I like to apply some powder after. I use Banana/Neutral Set by Ben Nye or pure Calcium Carbonate (found in pharmacies) - pressing against the skin.
I also like to mix this foundation with a bit of sericite (coastal scents), to facilitate the application.
If I don't use moisturizer it can mark some lines.

Colors:
I have medium/tan (?) skin and strong yellow undertones.
MAC Face & Body C4 --> needs more yellow, but it works.
Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse Natural Beige 2.5 --> perfect
The All Natural Face Light Beige Warmest --> still testing but I think this is the color
O Boticario Intense Antibrilho, efeito mate, Cor 2 --> deixa a pele muito seca, mas a cor funciona.
I use Tan Olive and Golden Medium. Both work for me, but I like to mix them (50/50).

I hope the store doesn't stop selling to international customers whose countries have representatives.

-------------------- edit 25/09/3013
1. After using it a LOT more, I think both Tan Olive and Golden Medium are just an OK match. Not perfect, need more yellow/olive, and just a little bit too light. (btw, TANF Light Beige Warmest is too light as well. I would say this color is very similar to TO and GM from Lucy).
2. It accentuates my pores. It has shiny particles (not too obvious though).

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/30/2013 8:14:00 PM More reviews by bomkin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Updated: Nov 2014, a year+ from last edit (had to change my original post to accommodate what I've learned after several years)

MY SKIN: Combo/Acne-prone/Sensitive. Difficult to describe, a pain to deal with. Some areas turns into an oil slick within several hours. While being dry/patchy at the same time. The poster child of Contradiction. Easily affected by weather/diet/water temperature/how frequently the towel on the pillow changes/etc. Needs effort to strike a balance between all of these. Hyperpigmentation marks that refuses to fade after many years. Several pitted acne scars. Yellow and olive undertones (of East Asian descent). Prominent dark under-eye circles.. Currently learning to love it, despite some issues. As of now, pretty okay and smooth in some areas, but still finicky and break-out prone/reactive.

MY DISPOSITION: Long history of I-hate-my-skin-my-skin-hates-me short: name a product, natural or man-made, I've probably used it. HARDCORE research and epiphany induces philosophy of minimalism in the number of skin care and makeup used. The ingredient list comprehensive and shorter still. Results: life altering changes to my physical & mental health; Wallet-friendly, animal-friendly, environment-friendly.

PRE-LUCY: Modeling after my (ex-)skin care routine, used all kinds of stick, liquid, powder, and cream foundations and concealers over the years. Broke out from nearly all of them. Vicious cycle of break-out-cover-up-break-out-AGAIN. Believe skin would not have gotten as bad as it got if I hadn't used so many different foundations with so many damaging ingredients. Started looking into mineral makeup w/o results. Settled with MAC's Studio Finish Concealer nc35 for a long time (years) - giving my skin time to steadily improve - and used it almost as one would use a foundation. Couldn't cover dark circles and acne marks completely with it but had decent results. Believed that was the best it was going to get for my skin.

I now use a Golden Medium and Medium Olive custom mix + Snow White to control the depth of color according to seasonal changes/how pale or tan I get. (The original formula definitely breaks me out a little, so I'm sticking to the Light formula. But remember that I have extremely sensitive skin.) LOVE the finishing powder, really smoothes out the look at the end. If you are of Asian descent and need a bit of boost matching undertones, please read: http://musicalhouses.blogspot.com/2010/01/undertones-for-asians-how-to-tell-if.html

LUCY: It's pretty much my "home" foundie now. I've been using it for several years. I hate to over-idealize anything I use, as I have quite high standards despite being on a budget. But this is the happiest I've been with anything I've used so far. It's holding up well in the California heat (it's going up to 115 degrees these days). The texture is not powdery (meaning it doesn't fly all over the place) at all. It is very creamy and dense. Another good thing about Lucy is that it contains a lot of physical sun blockers so I feel safe to skip sunscreen most days. It is also completely waterproof when worn on top of sunscreen (went swimming in it). However, it is not oil/rub-proof. To remove this and other makeup, I just rub EVOO all over my face (use a cleanser after, sing Happy Birthday twice, as that is how long it takes for soap to break apart oil) and it works amazingly well, considering I wear mostly waterproof things because of my straight lashes & eye shape/Cali heat.

The best part about Lucy is the coverage! Wow, nothing, and I mean NOTHING has impressed me this much in terms of coverage. In my previous experience, I always had to sacrifice natural-looking skin in order to achieve the coverage I wanted. But with Lucy, I get the most natural looking makeup job I can get while covering all of my imperfections - acne marks & all. Even if I am in a hurry and don't have the time to layer on little by little (as another reviewer said, it's hard to retrain myself to not pile it on as I've always done with other foundations), it still comes out pretty lovely. I can't explain it. It makes my face look so.. pleasant. And this is the ONLY thing I have found that actually covers AND stays covering my dark circles all day.

I went to a clinic a couple of days ago, and the person at the counter paused to look at my face and said my skin looked "very pretty". I honestly can't remember the last time someone told me something like that. It was 108 degrees that day and I was running on 5 hours of sleep each for the last several days. I was also in a rush and skipped everything other than Lucy Light, finishing powder & blush.

I adore it, but it's not without its flaws. Afterall, nothing is absolutely perfect (but this is pretty close for me). For one thing, when I'm oilier, I must use the finishing powder under AND over my foundation, which greatly helps the longevity of my makeup. Also, for those of you who are saying that LM makes you oilier than not wearing any, after reading other people's experiences with other types of mineral makeup, I think makeup with ZO/TO can make some people's skin a lot more oilier, or help control oil, depending on skin type. Another thing to be aware of is that the colors are slightly different between the different formulas.

It also isn't the best makeup type to use if you have or you're going through an extremely dry skin spell. If you must use it, try patting it on instead of buffing with a buffing brush, to help flatten flakes. Buffing aggravates dry patches. Also try spraying rosewater in between layers and as a finishing touch to get rid of any powdery look. Alternatively, sometimes I take some of my moisturizer (rosehip oil) and mix it with the foundie and use it as a concealer. Once blended in, it looks natural with no patches. I wouldn't recommend this to those who are very oily or to use on oily areas, though.

All in all, a wonderful, versatile, bare-bones product.

19 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2013 2:22:00 AM More reviews by clarabeau

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like this stuff! It has the distinction of being the only makeup I have ever used that blended into my skin-tone perfectly, a seamless color match. You can actually get your color match custom-blended, which is so nice, especially if you have a difficult skin-tone to match. After I tried samples, I realized that my perfect blend would be half of the Fair shade mixed with half of the Pale Olive shade. Literally, that is my exact skin color. I was so happy! I like how pigmented the minerals are, that I can put some on a small fluffy brush to use as a concealer. Even if I'm wearing liquid foundation instead, I will still use this as concealer for zits and for my dark circles, as long as I've really moisturized. It really covers amazingly well!

The only thing that made it a little difficult to get the hang of using this was that it is so pigmented and creamy for a powder, you really need very little. I have a tendency to want to slather my face in it and I really had to break that habit. Small layers! that needs to be one's mantra with this. I also found that I need a primer underneath this (I use Tarte's BB primer) and the finish stays nice all day. Without a primer, on me it seems to go a little patchy by the end of the day. I have dry/combo skin, for the record.

I definitely recommend trying samples! I tried all the formulas too and settled on the Lucy Light formula since I'm so sensitive. There are oil control options too, plus the standard formula that has added antioxidants.

I've found that I get a lot of compliments on my skin when I use this... and when I mention I'm wearing a lot of makeup, people are shocked! So evidently it is undetectable. Someone even once said I had an ethereal glow, and this was all I was wearing. I was very flattered! And I think having such a good shade match really makes all the difference.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2013 1:59:00 PM More reviews by beautyforless

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

For the longest time, I hated, loathed, and went out of my way to avoid mineral foundations. After a brief experience with Bare Minerals left my skin wrecked, I vowed to stay away, and scoffed at the women who worshipped the holy trinity of Bare Minerals, Pur Minerals...and whatever other mineral makeup made its way into the market.
But along came Lucy.
I was intrigued by the reviewers who mentioned the full coverage effect. Given that no matter how much Bare Minerals I applied I couldn't get even the slightest imperfection to go away, I was skeptical. Luckily, Lucy Minerals will send Try-It sizes for $2.50. I was sold and had one sent my way.
I guess other users have nicer skin than I, because full coverage couldn't be achieved without layers and layers of this stuff. It did end up looking cakey, but not terribly so. Lesson learned: Lucy Minerals does not a full coverage foundation make.
Disappointed, I settled for using it as a setting powder when I ran out of my beloved Milani Multitasker, which will be HG for me for life. I never thought a simple, cheap mineral foundation could stand on the same pedestal as Milani, until I took a small amount on my ELF Studio Powder brush and used to to set my Wet n Wild Coverall Cream.
And it was love at first sight.
My pores vanished, my skin got extra coverage and looked oh so smooth (not a dry flake was emphasized), and my face looked flawless. Despite my oily tzone, there was no need for retouching. I got so many compliments I immediately placed an order for the full sized foundation.
So I guess if you're like me, with problematic skin, this won't be a fix-all. But using it to set any liquid product equals pure magic. And in that regard, it's a keeper.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2013 4:58:00 PM More reviews by thegrumpus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Seriously, what's not to love about Lucy Minerals foundation? The foundation offers great coverage (in fact better coverage than I've been able to get with most liquid foundations; a friend tried it and was amazed with how much coverage she got with just one swipe), doesn't break me out, has fantastic staying power (I fell asleep with it on once, and when I woke up my foundation still looked good!), you can have it customized to match your skin tone perfectly(you just have to email the company and tell them what shades to use and how many parts of each shade to mix). Oh and on top of all that, it is very reasonably priced at $15 dollars and lasts for a long time since you only need to use a little to get good coverage. Did I mention you also get to support a little indie company?? Sure their website looks a little dated, but it's charming! I am absolutely in love with this foundation and have been using it for the last few months and I can't see that changing anytime soon. I would suggest buying a few samples first so you can experiment and come up with the best match for your skin tone before purchasing the full sized tub.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/3/2013 2:43:00 PM More reviews by indiajane

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I wanted SO bad to like this foundation. I really did. I bought sample sizes in Cream and Pale Olive of the original, silica, calcium carbonate, and lucy light formulas. The only thing that I really liked about this foundation was the colors; Pale Olive was a perfect match, although I could definitely wear cream if I wanted to, I just tended to gravitate towards the Pale Olive. So yeah, colors are great. Lots of variety. Five stars for the color selection.
I washed, exfoliated, and moisturized my face with CeraVe moisturizer, but I later used Eucerine facial moisturizer with sunscreen. The foundation applied really nice with a flat top buffer brush from coastal scents. At first, it looked a little dry and cakey and I was feeling kind of mehhhh, but five minutes passed and when I looked in the mirror again in natural lighting, it looked absolutely flawless. Totally amazing. I was stoked. But, to my dismay, another ten minutes passed and I went to look in the mirror again. What did I see? OILY MESS! My skin looked oilier than it normally does with no makeup on! What the hell? I tried all the formulas and even the oil control made my face look like an oil slick. And when I touched my face the makeup would come off on my fingers. I tried all the formulas and even switched my moisturizers back and forth, and even tried different setting powders. Nothing worked. I went to my lighted mirror to tweeze my brows when I had the powder on and I was literally disgusted. Everything had separated and looked totally cakey, and I barely used any product, AND I used a light hand! Guess I'm just one of those unlucky people that Lucy did not agree with. I would order a sample size and try it out, because all the reviews here seem to love it. So sad :(

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2013 1:55:00 PM More reviews by obrienm5

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I tried the original formulas... Awful. Looked cakey and dry and unnatural. Then I tried the Lucy Light. Amazing! Goes on so smoothly and looks like beautiful, healthy skin! So impressed. Definitely order samples to find color match and formulation that works best for you.