October 1, 2014 | 1862 users online

Skincare - Face - Turmeric Mask

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2013 3:43:00 AM More reviews by naj123

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I use this to stop scarring.

When I was a kid and I fell down and had gashes on my body and face, my mom would make a quick paste with this and would apply it to the wound until it was healed. I have to admit the yellow coloring isn't attractive but whatevs it works.

As an adult, I used this for acne scars. After any zits pop, this immediately goes on it and I sleep with it, I would always have stained pillowcases, but its one of the few things that I always recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2013 7:24:00 PM More reviews by sarahkins17

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Turmeric is awesome! My mom told me about it and I have family members who use it. I saw the good rating it had on here and thought I would try it. I made a mask out of powdered turmeric and honey. I left it on my face for about 30 minutes. Then I washed it off with warm water in the shower. The mask worked so well. My face looked so radiant and fresh afterwards. Nature is amazing.

I will keep using turmeric for sure.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2013 10:30:00 AM More reviews by onebadassninja

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

LET ME CHANGE YOUR LIFE.

you probably wear foundation. if you, like me, have (strong) yellow tones in your skin, you know how frustrating it is to find / stick with a foundation. maybe one foundation actually matches your skin, but it breaks you out, or it pools into your pores after five hours, or it makes you look like a disco ball, etc.

if you've ever thought to yourself, 'uuuuughhhhhh this foundation would be literally perfect if it matched my skin, ie. were less pink / gray and more yellow. ffffff' -- there is an answer. get excited.

TURMERIC. it is a spice. it's used in curry. a jar of organic tumeric will cost like $5 maximum.

besides being great for acne-prone skin (internally and externally), it is incredibly yellow. i actually got the idea of mixing turmeric powder into my foundation after i was left with yellow fingers post-manuka-honey-and-turmeric-mask application. the mask is great for inflamed, acne-prone skin, but that's beside the point, which is that YOU SHOULD RUN AND BUY TURMERIC IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY. and mix into your foundation, caaaarefully and gradually increasing the amount. i wouldn't recommend mixing on a daily basis - turmeric is so yellow that it's beyond easy to end up looking like you have jaundice if you try to mix it with a small amount of foundation. i've tried to add a tiny bit to a pump or two of foundation, and it's really hard to do well.

your best bet is to mix it directly into your foundation supply. this will prevent a. having differing degrees of yellowness in your facial coloring on a day-to-day basis and b. save you a lot of time by doing it all at once. i did this with my revlon colorstay whipped creme foundation, which works great because it comes in a jar. i'd imagine the process would be more difficult with bottles, as the powder obviously doesn't disperse readily - it needs to be mixed in.

i don't have measurements for how much i mixed into my 0.8oz jar of foundation. just keep testing the color as you go, and you'll be fine.

if you have a mortar and pestle, i'd imagine you'd have even better results by grinding up the turmeric before mixing it into your foundation. i didn't do that and still got great results.

i hope this somewhat bizarre trick renders a bit more fruitful your quest for your hg foundation. goodness knows we have enough other factors to worry about aside from a foundation not being yellow enough.

bless!

33 out of 38 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2013 10:54:00 PM More reviews by CamiWillians

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Mix with flour and milk and it does a great job at preventing breakouts. I used to swear by making different masks with this!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2013 11:24:00 AM More reviews by JenuineArticle2013

I decided to try a Turmeric mask after reading positive reviews on MUA that it helped acne. I'm really glad I did! I have persistant but light adult acne - my skin never seems clear, Ialways have at least one or two zits on my face all the time.

The mask I have been using is two heaped teaspoons of plain natural yogurt and half teaspoon of ground turmeric (bought at the supermarket), I leave the mask until it dries (usually this is at least an hour) and then wash it off with lukewarm water. Make sure you cleanse your face before you apply the mask, that way you can just wash off the mask with water rather than using cleanser again. Your face will be a yellowy tinge - don't worry it will wash off with cleanser the following morning. I use this mask at least twice per week. I also use just the plain natural yogurt on its own as a mask twice a week which I feel helps acne as well and is naturally exfoliating and not as drying as when mixed with the Turmeric.

I have also been taking Turmeric internally morning and evening - two heaped teaspoons of Turmeric with half teaspoon of black ground pepper mixed in half a glass of skim milk morning and evening. Beware it does not taste nice at all!

BUT My skin has not been consistantly as clear as this in a long long time (been doing this for over one month now so I know its made a difference). Try it, its cheap plus it has lots of other health benefits, anti inflammatory, anti cancer etc so its actually good for you, not only in helping your acne. I tried it and I'm sticking with it for sure.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2013 9:32:00 PM More reviews by JennyWalsh1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Didn't really do much for me as other people have said but at least it didn't cost me a fortune. To each her own, I didn't get results besides a pale/yellowish face for a few days..

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2013 8:43:00 PM More reviews by lostinbk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My Skin: Normal to dry, being on the dry side lately. I also have a lot of redness in my skin.

My turmeric recipe: I had no coconut oil! We recently ran out and I've been waiting for a good deal on Tropical Traditions. :) So I used what fat I had in the kitchen- butter. Yep...butter haha. I also put a 2 tsp of raw honey. To keep the mask from falling off my face, I also added sunflower lecithin. The kind from Swanson. I just needed something besides regular flower. No chickpea flour right now, but I wish I had some stabilized rice bran on me, I think it would've made it even better. So for reiteration:
2 Tsp unsalted organic butter
2 Tsp Turmeric
2 Tsp honey
1 Tbl sunflower lecithin

It was quite orange! The honey darkened it a bit. For me, I did not get much staining after the mask was done. I left this on for 30 minutes. The hardest to remove was by my nose. My skin did glow but I didn't have the amazing benefit of the redness fading. Some people recommend leaving it on for 1 hour for the biggest difference.
The butter was a bad idea. Buttermilk I read, would work better in this situation. The butter was so...waxy/greasy. Even with the sunflower lecithin powder, when I went to rinse it off, it felt like I was trying to rinse off petroleum jelly. It took quite a few make up remover wipes to take it off. The butter did not clog my pores and it actually seemed to moisturize my skin, but I would not do it with butter again. I'm going to pick up some yogurt for the next mask and leave it on for a full hour. I'll update next time I try it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2013 3:56:00 PM More reviews by countrybearjamboree

Skin Type: Adult hormonal acne (mild) Reactive-Sensitivity to ingredients (moderate). Oily (very). Clog Prone (moderate). Uneven & dull skin tone.
I've only used turmeric as a facial mask once but I am in love. I'm so happy with the results and can't wait to use it again!
**Mask** 1/2 tsp. turmeric mixed with 1 tsp. of plain greek yogurt. Mixed until a mustard yellow paste forms. Layer mask until all the mixture is all used up. Let it sit on the skin until it dries (about 30 minutes).
Removal Process: I kept in mind how people mentioned this stains sinks and is messy. What I do to prevent any mess is dampen paper towels with warm water and wipe off the mask. I discard each paper towel in the waste basket immediately. No mess!
Lastly, I cleanse my skin with a gentle cleanser and pat dry.
Results: No yellow face! I was surprised that this didn't stain my face. A faint yellow residue came off during cleansing but that was nothing. My skin immediately looked radiant and even. Even days after I did the mask! It has been two days after the mask and my skin just looks better. Marks have faded out a bit. Skin looks more even toned and healthy. I wasn't at all familiar with the spice turmeric and I never cooked with it. Now, I'm looking up ways to use this miracle spice!

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2013 7:07:00 AM More reviews by LolaBlue

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm a sucker for homemade beauty products, mostly because I have very tricky skin: dry, but acne prone, and sensitive to a lot of common ingredients. I started seeing a lot of natural/homemade beauty blogs recommending this and thought I'd give it a try. The first recipe I tried was from the Crunchy Betty blog, and was as follows:

2tsp garbanzo flour
1tsp turmeric powder
3tbls plain yogurt

I followed my normal routine of massaging plain, virgin coconut oil into my skin and swiping my face with a damp washcloth to remove my makeup, and cleansing with Pears soap before applying this mask. I left it on for 30 minutes.

It dried but was easy enough to remove with water, and created a nice, gentle scrub as I used my hands to remove it. Though I am very fair skinned it did not stain, and my skin looked much healthier and more even toned when I removed it and into the next morning. Over the next day though I did develop some clogged pores. This has been an issue for me whenever I put yogurt or honey on my face so I wasn't surprised.

The next time I used it I improvised a little. I followed exactly the same routine before applying a mask made up of:

2tbls water
1/2tsp turmeric powder
1/2tsp dried thyme
+ enough garbanzo flour to create a paste

I added thyme because it's supposed to be good for treating acne, and reduced the amount of turmeric because I was a little worried it would stain without the buffer of yogurt. Again, I left it on for 30 minutes.

This mask was harder to remove than the previous one; I really had to work at it, but I figured it was better than (possibly) staining one of my washcloths. Though it felt a little gritty it didn't have the nice scrubbing effect the first one had. Also, naturally, without the yogurt it was a little drying, like using a very mild clay mask.

Again though, my skin looked healthier and more even toned into the next morning. And without the yogurt I didn't experience anymore clogged pores, so that's a win. I've only been using it for about a week - and not daily - so I can't really say what the long term effects are, but so far my active acne is healing faster, it's not irritating my skin, and my skin tone seems more even. And it's very economical; I spent about $5 for a 1Lb bag of the flour and a 4oz jar of turmeric and that will make innumerable masks. So right now, overall, I'm very happy with it. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Update (2/9/14) - still using this, though I've fiddled with the recipe a little:

2tbls fresh, strongly brewed green tea
1tsp lime juice
1/2tsp turmeric
+ enough garbanzo flour to make a paste

I added the green tea for the antioxidants (though God knows if it actually makes a difference or if that's just wishful thinking on my part), and lime juice for some mild exfoliation. I do this mask a couple of times a week, alternating it with a clay mask (Freeman strawberry & chocolate, lately). Definitely still happy with it, and my skin tone is slowly evening out. I keep reading about the "softening" properties of this mask, and if it's doing that I'm not seeing it - maybe because I don't use it daily, or maybe because I don't really have wrinkles yet (*knock on wood*). Overall though, it's the best homemade mask I've used, and I've yet to have to replace the ingredients, so that's very economical. Still a little messy and bit more of a hassle than squeezing something out of tube, but well worth it ;)

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2013 4:28:00 PM More reviews by siringlamgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I recently tried out a pre-made turmeric mask because I didn't like the yellow mess that I found that my own homemade turmeric mask was creating! I absolutely love it! They mentioned that their turmeric doesn't stain your skin but I found it was just completely cleaner in general... there wasn't yellow everyone on my sink and towels etc. They give you a couple of options for mixing. I mixed with a little bit of oil and mostly yogurt.

The mask worked wonderfully. My skin was soo smooth and seemed to glow after and i've used it now for 2 weeks and have gotten compliments already. I've never gotten compliments on my skin before! I do it twice weekly as they suggest. I will continue. You can buy it at the amberlilynaturals.com site if your interested!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No