April 18, 2014 | 891 users online

Eye Primer - NYX - Eyeshadow Base in Skin Tone

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2012 6:08:00 PM More reviews by darkeyedfran

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Okay people, Please understand the difference between a base and a primer: NOT THE SAME THING! I think many people get confused beause MAC paint pots can be used as both. This is just a true base. This is a beautiful skintone (on me) color that helps my shadows stick and makes them more of a true color on my discolored lids. I use this under my ELF $1 primer and it works perfect in 100+ degree weather all day! I highly recommend this if you want something similar to the painterly paint pot but do not want to spend nearly as much.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2012 10:59:00 PM More reviews by white05mustang

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

UGH! I wanted SO BAD to love this stuff because of all the rave reviews, but I have really sensitive skin and it made my eyelids break out horribly. They were red and got really dry/itchy. The only other thing that has ever made my eyelids break out that bad is the crappy Ulta eyeshadow. My mom loves this stuff (she does not have sensitive skin like me), but it just doesn't work for me. :(

rated 2 of 5 on 7/27/2012 4:22:00 PM More reviews by MadchenRogue

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The reason I bought this it was because I wanted a primer that would even out my skintone. I have no problem with the color, I personally thought it was perfect. But my goodness, less than 30 minutes this would crease on me like there was no tomorrow. So for me, this is a fail. HOWEVER, I found it was perfect to only use this on my browbone area since I like my highlight not to fade through out the nite. As long as I use it above my crease area, then no problem. So for the oily lids girls like me, perfect for brownbone area-- forget it as a primer. If Nyx was smart enough, they should create this color in a jumbo eye pencil form.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/23/2012 8:51:00 AM More reviews by mlynde82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff is great! It definitely is a nice replacement for MAC paint pots (which I will no longer buy, as they have started marketing their products in China, which requires animal testing). For the price you really can't beat it.

Don't expect this to be a primer that will make your eyeshadow last a tremendously long time, but it works really well to even out the color of your lids (I have a few broken capillaries, etc, from allergies), and helps your shadow stick without fallout. It will help with staying power, but not to the extent of a typical high-end primer.

My only complaint (hence the 3 on packaging quality) is that this is sold in a small jar, intended for you to dip your finger into, which might give you trouble if you have long nails. You can use a small concealer brush with it, which might work better if you have this issue. I keep my nails fairly short, so it's not a problem for me!

EDIT: After having used this for a while, I am downgrading my review. This stuff is fine if you only apply a single shadow (like a cream shadow), but makes blending multiple shadows difficult. The finished look almost always has smudges of the base, as if it's not staying put. What a disappointment!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2012 6:36:00 PM More reviews by ChaseSpearing

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I literally waited MONTHS for my local Ulta to restock this in the skin tone shade. I mostly use it on lazy days to even out the weird veins on my eyelids.

I have the white one (not the pearly one) also and I find that one creamier and easier to blend than this one, but I do still really like it as a base.

If you're in the market for this, I would say check it out. But I do not plan to repurchase. Or maybe I will. Maybe I just got a dud :P

UPDATE: GAH. SHUT UP PAST SELF THIS IS GREAT. I was applying it with my fingers before, which did not yield good results. Now I apply it with a crease brush I got from Target and LOVE the effect that I get. It evens out the tone of my eyes, providing a blank canvas, and preps my eyes to receive shadows since it provides a slightly tacky base :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2012 3:44:00 PM More reviews by azmuslima

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Would give this item a 5 if the packaging were sanitary. I am not a fan of having to dip my finger or brush in the pot to get product out over and over.

I have used Urban Debay Primer Potion, Tarte eyeshadow primer, Too Faced, Smashbox, etc. Between Urban Decay and this one its a toss up. They are both great and for the price of this one i can buy all three shades instead of one Urban Decay.

Goes on well, stays put, no creasing, colors of eyeshadow come true and keeps shadow in place ALL day in 100+ temperatures of the Arizona desert. Very impressed!

EDIT: I have to change my rating on this one and lower it because i got horrible oily eyelids and creasing with my Tarte eyeshadows...would not buy again. I do use it under my eyes and under concealer which keeps the concealer from creasing and helpt it stay put.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/27/2012 6:31:00 PM More reviews by deehippolyte

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

Finally decided to try this. First off, i love this just by itself! I'm an NC50 and when applied all over my eyelid it has a fresh natural look It made my eyeshadow pop but gave just a few extra hours of wear.SO i'd say it wold work for a 6-8 hr event which is pretty fine for me!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2012 5:19:00 PM More reviews by syeung2

Product - Matte caramel-beige. Smooth and very creamy. Intended as a base, not a primer. I typically don't use a primer, just a base, and this holds up just fine for me for about 8 hrs without primer underneath (YMMV).

Comparisons - A shade deeper than MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre and perfect (and by perfect, I mean truly spot-on, dead-on, disappears into my skincolor) match for me (AAB/NC25). MAC Paint Pot in Nubile is a shade deeper and slightly pinker.

Packaging - No-fuss, white plastic screw-top lid over clear plastic jar.

Overall - Surprising and wonderful drugstore find, and a good value at $6.99. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 5/18/2012 4:36:00 PM More reviews by alright2009

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

In all honesty I will say I thought I was getting a primer, I bought it off ebay and it was listed as a "primer", but I certainly can see it as only a base or concealer. I HATE the packaging. I have long fingernails and right away just trying to apply with my fingers was a mess, it got under my nails, and I hated it! So I used the end of my rat tail comb to get a small amount out and put in the palm of my hand. I then have to swirl it around to warm it up to make it easier to apply to lid. I see some people here use it for a concealer for under thier lash line, it creases up horrible if any even gets under my eyes while I am applying it to my eyelid. I find it rather a pain to put on for my makeup routine which I have down to about 30 minutes, more if I am doing a dramatic look, this does hold the brighter colors of shadows, {pinks, rose hues} but I could skip it all together. It may work for some, just now something I want to tangle with every morning for my routine! A tube and softer texture would make it a easier item to use, regardless of what it is.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2012 2:42:00 AM More reviews by PiMehMeh

I am on the fence about this product. I have used this both with and without an eyeshadow primer (I used Victoria's Secret VS PRO Lasting FX Eyeshadow Primer). I have dark under-eye circles, some dark lines along the outer corner of my eyes, and occasionally some pink/redness on my eyelids, and I loved that the skintone shade takes care of my uneven skintone around my eyes. It doubles as a base and a matte concealer.

While it does keep my eye makeup vibrant for hours especially with primer, my eyes tend to feel very heavy toward the end of the day if I wear any eye makeup (my eyes get prematurely tired, if that makes any sense). It particularly felt even heavier on evenings that I was wearing this on my lids all day, and I suspect that it might be the texture of the cream formula, which is somewhat stiff in the jar and a little too drying on the skin over time. It helps to have the lightweight primers I have since they help moisturize my lids, but I do have heavy eyes as is, and really don't want to pile more different products on it and make it feel even heavier.