October 30, 2014 | 1608 users online

Eye Primer - NYX - Eyeshadow Base in Skin Tone

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2013 7:08:00 PM More reviews by littlemj

NC25 Chinese, oily monolidder.

Creasity-creasity-crease! The pot version isn't working for me at all... Test driving the NYX HD eyeshadow base w/ the wand style, holding up much better!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2013 11:27:00 PM More reviews by JaneWhit99

I really liked this eye primer for several reasons:

-great packaging
-affordable
-no irritation/redness/stinging when applying
-can apply makeup minutes after using it

After using this primer my makeup stays on almost all day until i was it off at night. I have used multiple primers from Mac, Too Faced, and Bare Minerals but this is the best one i've found yet.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2013 1:53:00 PM More reviews by fayedelasflores

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm reviewing this as not just a shadow base, but also as a concealer. I've got hard-to-match skin, and all concealers look ashy on me, whether they're powder or liquid. Even higher-end products look terrible (ex. Bare Minerals summer bisque.)

I picked this up at my local beauty supply for about $4, intending to use it only as a shadow base. When I realized it matched my skin exactly, I began using it as an undereye concealer, as well as around my nose and on uneven spots. I even use it as a base on the sparse areas of my brows before I fill them in with brow powder.

I really like this product; it moves around easily, so it's very blendable and buildable, and it has the perfect amount of yellow to it for my medium/olive skin. I agree with others that it can crease. My method is to pat in with a fingertip, building up if needed, then immediately set with a powder. I have no creasing issues and my liner and brows stay put all day.

Another plug: I'm a salsa dancer, so I get very sweaty (I know - yuck. Sorry!) I still get the same results through hours of dancing!

The only reason I didn't give it a 5 is that it's in a pot, which I think invites bacteria. It would be great if it was in a squeeze tube with an opening large enough to let the product come out.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/5/2012 11:11:00 PM More reviews by debramarie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

It did make my eye shadow 'pop', but it creases. I have very oily eyelids. I also dislike the packaging. I used a brush to get the product out, applied the product with the brush to my eyelids, then smoothed it out with a finger. I won't be purchasing this again. However, when I was desperate, I found that if I applied Porefessional under it, it helped it not crease. Still, that defeats the purpose of it being a less expensive alternative.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/7/2012 12:02:00 PM More reviews by narwhal4life

I purchased this product from Ulta because I wanted an inexpensive replacement for my urban decay primer. I had heard good things about this and had seen it getting some love on youtube. I like the nyx jumbo pencils and figured this would be similar in different packaging. I hate this as a base. I don't think my lids are exceptionally oily but my eyeshadow would fade like mad throughout the day - from bright to muddy. I know some reviewers are pointing out that this is, after all, a base and should be used over primer, but I can use my maybelline colour tattoos and the NYX jumbo pencils without a primer and the colour holds fine. Although I did experience fading I had no troubles with creasing. This product is very thick consistency which I wan't crazy about and the packaging wasn't the best either. I kept having to dip my fingers in and ended up with more product under my nails than on my finger. I wanted to love this, but It just isn't a great base and caused some supreme fading.

The only thing that kept me from giving this product a 1 is that I found an alternative use for it. The consistency reminds me a lot of mac studio finish concealer (I've never tried this concealer so I can't compare) so I tried sweeping it under my eyes for some coverage. It works pretty well! It's opaque and delivered some nice full coverage over my dark circles. Since it did not match my skin at all I had to blend it out quite a bit and layer some foundation over it. However, this did not work on the oiler parts of my skin like my nose, where it came off almost immediately and in patches. I am not thrilled with the overall performance of this product and don't think I would repurchase again simply for the use as an undereye concealer.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2012 1:27:00 PM More reviews by hopelesschocolate

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I wanted a base and I got a base because it said base on it! And I really like this product! I didn't have any problems with creasing but if you have got oily eyelids you will need to where a primer underneath. This definetly did make my eyeshadows cling, be more true to colour and stay, which was all I expected. I use this everyday and its a PERFECT dupe for MAC Painterly just much cheaper. After about a year of using this I am close to pan and I have loved this since the beginning! I would recommend this and next time I stop by NYX I wIll get this in the other two shades!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2012 12:55:00 AM More reviews by ProductJunkey

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Got this very cheap $4.00 during the NYX 40% off sale at Ulta. I have been wanting to buy MAC's Painterly- which I loved and ran out of, over a year ago. I then started using Laura Mercier eye basics in wheat, which I still like, but wish it had more coverage to even out the eyelid. But now I won't waste money on Painterly- because this does the same thing. Love it. I don't have oily lids, so I don't have a creasing problem. This does keep the color from fading.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/26/2012 11:33:00 PM More reviews by Metamorpha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Many posters have said "This is a base, it's not a primer!" but here is the product description straight off the NYX website:

"Maximize the intensity, longevity and unashamed brilliance of your eye shadow statements with our eye shadow primer pots."

That is why I bought this product. Because it is described as a primer on their website and that's where I first saw it and decided to try it.

This works horribly as a primer. It creases so quickly I may as well not be wearing primer. The shade is fine, but what good is it if it won't stay on? I don't have a problem with uneven tone on my lid, so this product is pointless to me. I have found it works better as a concealer. But I didn't want a concealer. So although I can use it for something else so it's not a complete waste of money that's really its only saving grace.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2012 5:03:00 PM More reviews by RachelisGreen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this. It really is a super high quality inexpensive product! This is a BASE, not a primer, you use this over your primer to even out your lids and help colors stand out better or just to even out the veins in your lids :) I am an NC15-NC20 and this isn't too dark for me at all, it blends in very well with my skintone. It absolutely does not crease. I use this when I don't feel like wearing eyeshadow and I am doing a cat eye, it stays put and it really makes my eyes look so much more clean and awake. I also use this on my lips before lipstick! It really helps my lipstick stay put and it doesn't bleed! It also lasts longer and isn't drying at all. Overall, a very versatile high quality base that I love and I can see it lasting forever!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2012 10:13:00 AM More reviews by Lovedogs841

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff. It works well as both a primer and base, in my opinion. First, I apply a bit of my face primer (L'Oreal Studio) on my eyelids, and then dab and blend this over it. Works like a charm for me!