September 1, 2014 | 1095 users online

Eye Primer - NYX - Eyeshadow Base in Skin Tone

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2012 12:55:00 AM More reviews by ProductJunkey

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Got this very cheap $4.00 during the NYX 40% off sale at Ulta. I have been wanting to buy MAC's Painterly- which I loved and ran out of, over a year ago. I then started using Laura Mercier eye basics in wheat, which I still like, but wish it had more coverage to even out the eyelid. But now I won't waste money on Painterly- because this does the same thing. Love it. I don't have oily lids, so I don't have a creasing problem. This does keep the color from fading.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/26/2012 11:33:00 PM More reviews by Metamorpha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Many posters have said "This is a base, it's not a primer!" but here is the product description straight off the NYX website:

"Maximize the intensity, longevity and unashamed brilliance of your eye shadow statements with our eye shadow primer pots."

That is why I bought this product. Because it is described as a primer on their website and that's where I first saw it and decided to try it.

This works horribly as a primer. It creases so quickly I may as well not be wearing primer. The shade is fine, but what good is it if it won't stay on? I don't have a problem with uneven tone on my lid, so this product is pointless to me. I have found it works better as a concealer. But I didn't want a concealer. So although I can use it for something else so it's not a complete waste of money that's really its only saving grace.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2012 5:03:00 PM More reviews by RachelisGreen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this. It really is a super high quality inexpensive product! This is a BASE, not a primer, you use this over your primer to even out your lids and help colors stand out better or just to even out the veins in your lids :) I am an NC15-NC20 and this isn't too dark for me at all, it blends in very well with my skintone. It absolutely does not crease. I use this when I don't feel like wearing eyeshadow and I am doing a cat eye, it stays put and it really makes my eyes look so much more clean and awake. I also use this on my lips before lipstick! It really helps my lipstick stay put and it doesn't bleed! It also lasts longer and isn't drying at all. Overall, a very versatile high quality base that I love and I can see it lasting forever!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2012 10:13:00 AM More reviews by Lovedogs841

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff. It works well as both a primer and base, in my opinion. First, I apply a bit of my face primer (L'Oreal Studio) on my eyelids, and then dab and blend this over it. Works like a charm for me!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2012 5:38:00 AM More reviews by aznmnkygrl808

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product is definitely a base, not a primer.matches perfectly with my skin tone and glides on smooth. This would be a backup product of I were to ever run out of my urban decay Eden primer. I dont hate nor do I love this product.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2012 11:23:00 AM More reviews by glamstep

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Exact same amount, package as NYX concealer in a jar. This just has a white lid vs black. The products itself is alot more sheer than the concealer ofcourse & alot less oily as well; the concealer leaves a shiny finish while this is still matte. As for a base it works in letting shadows stick better probably (so kind of works like a primer) but since it allows shadows to crease its not as good; definetly does nothing for amplifying/brightening shades. I primarily bought this to even out my dark eyelids & have them match the rest of my face without having to apply shadow. So this works nicely to swipe on & run out with just mascara on, but I could just be using my concealer in a jar for that purpose as well! I just need to remember to dust powder on top so that it doesn't get as greasy. This product in nothing new/different/spectacular compared to its twin concealer in a jar. My shade is Beige btw which is just a more pigmented version of this, otherwise a DUPE.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2012 6:08:00 PM More reviews by darkeyedfran

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Okay people, Please understand the difference between a base and a primer: NOT THE SAME THING! I think many people get confused beause MAC paint pots can be used as both. This is just a true base. This is a beautiful skintone (on me) color that helps my shadows stick and makes them more of a true color on my discolored lids. I use this under my ELF $1 primer and it works perfect in 100+ degree weather all day! I highly recommend this if you want something similar to the painterly paint pot but do not want to spend nearly as much.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2012 10:59:00 PM More reviews by white05mustang

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

UGH! I wanted SO BAD to love this stuff because of all the rave reviews, but I have really sensitive skin and it made my eyelids break out horribly. They were red and got really dry/itchy. The only other thing that has ever made my eyelids break out that bad is the crappy Ulta eyeshadow. My mom loves this stuff (she does not have sensitive skin like me), but it just doesn't work for me. :(

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2012 4:22:00 PM More reviews by MadchenRogue

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The reason I bought this it was because I wanted a primer that would even out my skintone. I have no problem with the color, I personally thought it was perfect. But my goodness, less than 30 minutes this would crease on me like there was no tomorrow. So for me, this is a fail. HOWEVER, I found it was perfect to only use this on my browbone area since I like my highlight not to fade through out the nite. As long as I use it above my crease area, then no problem. So for the oily lids girls like me, perfect for brownbone area-- forget it as a primer. If Nyx was smart enough, they should create this color in a jumbo eye pencil form.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/23/2012 8:51:00 AM More reviews by mlynde82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff is great! It definitely is a nice replacement for MAC paint pots (which I will no longer buy, as they have started marketing their products in China, which requires animal testing). For the price you really can't beat it.

Don't expect this to be a primer that will make your eyeshadow last a tremendously long time, but it works really well to even out the color of your lids (I have a few broken capillaries, etc, from allergies), and helps your shadow stick without fallout. It will help with staying power, but not to the extent of a typical high-end primer.

My only complaint (hence the 3 on packaging quality) is that this is sold in a small jar, intended for you to dip your finger into, which might give you trouble if you have long nails. You can use a small concealer brush with it, which might work better if you have this issue. I keep my nails fairly short, so it's not a problem for me!

EDIT: After having used this for a while, I am downgrading my review. This stuff is fine if you only apply a single shadow (like a cream shadow), but makes blending multiple shadows difficult. The finished look almost always has smudges of the base, as if it's not staying put. What a disappointment!