Essie Mint Candy Apple

4.2

on 2/17/2014 1:47:00 AM

I heard so many great things about this product - that it was the perfect mint colour, so when I saw it I had to grab it. I love how opaque it is, this really surprised me (this was the first essie nail polish I bought) as previous nail polishes I've tried have always been quite sheer, streaky and needed alot of coats. So I love it for that reason -you can't see your nail underneath which I like. However I feel like the colour is more of a light pearly blue, rather than mint. This is kind of dissapointing but don't get me wrong, it is still a beautiful colour and to some it may be seen as a LIGHT mint colour. It usually lasts around 4 days with no chips without any top coat which is pretty good.
I'm very pleased with this purchase, just wish the colour was more minty-green. But this has defintely made me an Essie fan, so would definitely recommend this!

on 2/11/2014 1:10:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I really can't say enough good things about this polish. I initially grabbed it as an impulse buy because I thought it resembled the type of light blue I'd been looking for. At first, I was surprised and kind of disappointed when I took a closer look at the bottle at home and saw that it was more of a dull looking pastel green color. My opinion changed immediately the first time I wore it. There is really something about the way this color "pops" that is hard to describe unless you see it in person. I have very pale skin (NW15), and normally colors as light as this one appear very washed out against my skin, but not this one. I actually think the word "mint" is kind of misleading, because the color seems more like a very light turquoise to me. Calling it mint isn't very far off, but I think there's a definite hint of blue in there.

The formula is as good as the color. It isn't runny, isn't too thick, and goes on *nearly* opaque in one coat (although two is much better, and it's easy to do since it dries so quickly). All in all, this is probably the most pleasantly surprised I've been with any polish, and I'm really glad I bought it on an impulse.

on 12/28/2013 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I always wanted this color but everytime I went to Walgreens, CVS, Target or Ulta they were sold out so I finally broke down & ordered it from Amazon. After all that time waiting & searching finally ended that day it ended up on my front door! I have to say I was kindof dissapointed because it looks blue not green. I had Sally Hansen Mint Sorbet but I have really bad experiances with Sally Hansen & I love Essie polishes so thats why I went with Mint Candy Apple, but it looks like Tiffany Blue or Robin's Egg Blue. Not that I hate the color the name & Essie description was misleading. I see some mint green undertones but everyone complaints me on the pretty "blue" pastel color! It went on smooth & opaque in 2 coats.

on 10/28/2013 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This is not really a mint color, more of a light pastel blue. I still think it's a gorgeous color. It's opaque in two coats and stays put for a week without chipping with a top coat. I personally love essie's thinner brushes. It gives me much more control. Love it and I will definitely repurchase!!

on 10/26/2013 4:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I absolutely love this color. To me, it's a HG mint. I'm a huge fan of minty and turquoise-ish colors, so I'm surprised that I didn't buy this sooner. I think MCA is one of those colors that looks good on any skin tone. To me, it somehow looks more robin's egg blue on my nails than inside the bottle (see pic on profile).
I found the formula for MCA to be a little thick and sometimes streaky, which is the reason why I took off a lippie. But, I discovered that application is a lot easier and more successful if you just apply thin coats and make sure it's COMPLETELY dry before putting on another coat. First coat was really streaky for me, but you can usually get full opacity in two coats if you're careful. Sometimes it might take three coats to even out any bald spots or random imperfections, though. Thankfully, it self-levels and evens out really well, so once it's dry and you put a topcoat on, most imperfections will melt away. Most Essie polishes that I own usually last 6-7 days with a topcoat (I've been using Orly Sec 'n Dry lately, it's seriously underrated and 3-free) and Mint Candy Apple is no exception.

on 10/6/2013 2:04:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This nail polish is really a beautiful shade. I bought it for around $8 at Ulta and I really love it. It's almost a mixture between tiffany blue and mint; which I find to be really flattering on my skin tone. Like all Essie nail polishes the packaging is really cute and I like the brush/applicator. This is really opaque and I can get away with 1 coat, but I normally apply 2 to get the colors full intensisty.
Side Note: It is one of the few nail polishes I own that I don't make a mess with. I SUCK at applying nail polish!

on 9/22/2013 11:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Beautiful blue-mint color, love it!

on 9/12/2013 6:35:00 PM

Love this minty color, it is easy to put and stays 3-4 days without chipping on me.

on 8/11/2013 5:56:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I have a love-hate relationship with this polish, although most of the time it's love haha. I find this colour can be a bit chalky at times, a streaky when you're not careful with applying it, especially when you're reaching the bottom half of the bottle. The problem is that when you have less than half a bottle of it left, and your brush only has so much polish on it, that when you apply a layer, it dries before you can dip your brush back into the bottle to finish the rest of the nail - causing streaking. That's also one of my other issues with Essie - the small brush! It takes several brush strokes to cover my nail bed, and especially when I have longer nails too. :P However, if you're careful with it, you can get a gorgeous turquoise. And like all Essie polishes, this stuff can easily last on your nails without any wear or chipping for at least five days. You'll see a bit of wear on your tips after that.

I don't know if I'd repurchase this if I run out. It's also super hard to find in stores and salons, so I have to buy it online. I will probably though since I love the finished result so much... but I'd consider getting In the Cabana since that one looks like a great blue as well. ;)

on 8/4/2013 12:40:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I was really looking for a minty green, when I applied it, it looked Robin egg blue. Now that it has dried I can see a hint of mint. Went on kind of streaky, would like to try another color of this brand before I become a fan or not.

Popular Polishes