August 29, 2014 | 1855 users online

Polishes - Essie - Mint Candy Apple

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2013 12:10:00 AM More reviews by sarahfeeni

This is the first nail polish color that has gotten my heart racing in a long time. (the last one was NARS trouville but that was a disaster. worst formulation EVER). My younger sister was wearing this last week and I couldn't stop staring at her nails. I couldn't tell if if was a pale, pastel blue that she was wearing or some sort of minty pastel. Either way they were gorgeous and totally stood out in a sophisticated and fun summer way. I finally asked her what color it was (PRAYING she would remember) and she did. She also said "this is sold out EVERYWHERE". No!!!!!

I have been too busy until this evening to try to hunt it down but I saw that ULTA online had it so I knew I could snag a bottle if no drug store in my area had a bottle. But luckily the first CVS I went to had 3 left. (and yes I got them all). Its so funny because in the bottle this does not look like anything special. It looks super pale and boring. I never would have purchased this had I not seen my sister wearing it.

As others have said, its not the easiest to apply because of the pastel color. (for some reason pastel colors are sort of streaky and watery.). However compared to NARS pastel polishes (which cost 3x as much) this was a walk in the park. I had to be very careful to get the application even and paint very slowly and methodically but I did manage to get each nail even with only 2 coats. which i was very happy about because I really didn't want to stay up until 2 am waiting for 3 coats of nail polish to dry.

There were some teeny imperfections because of a couple of touch ups that i did when I nicked a few nails but using Sally Hanson mega shine top coat completely evened all of that out. Except for the few places where this is accidentally touching my cuticles, it looks like I just had a professional manicure. But for less than half the price!

I love this color. Its the perfect summer 2013 color. (to me this is the summer of blue and green nails....)

rated 2 of 5 on 7/1/2013 9:00:00 PM More reviews by mmmaggie

I really like this colour but I do hate Essie. The formulation is streaky and doesn't dry. The brush is skinny and cheep. Lilly Pad by Coastal Scents is a perfect dupe and cheeper alternative and I dislike both brands equally.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/24/2013 2:47:00 PM More reviews by marshiemallow14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this nail polish but also feel a bit let down by it. Because everyone I know loves it so much I had this image of perfection in my head. It is a lovely colour, I love pastel-y colours like this and Bikini so Teeny, but both of them have let me down in a way. This polish is very watery and because of that applies a little streaky. At 3 coats its nearly even but still a little less than smooth. In terms of colour Iooks great, in different lighting it goes from blue to green to neon almost, which makes it fun to wear. It dries fairly quickly, unlike some other polishes I've had from Essie that never seem to dry.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2013 4:52:00 PM More reviews by ckb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a beautiful nail polish color. It sometimes takes me 3 coats to get the full coverage that I like ---- until I discovered this little trick: Paint one coat of white nail polish on your nails (I just got the french tip NYC for $1 at Target). Then paint 2 thin coats of Mint Candy Apple. It makes the color so vibrant and fun for summer. The white coat add a little neon to the color and it's gorgeous.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2013 4:24:00 PM More reviews by dazzlelight21

This is, hands down, my all time favourite nail polish! The color is beautiful, it looks like a minty shade in some lighting, whereas in others, it looks more like a pastel blue. This is the perfect summer shade. Mint Candy Apple is a very versatile color (it reminds me a little of Revlon's Minted) and flatters many skintones. The application was smooth, but required two coats. I will definitely repurchase this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2013 11:24:00 AM More reviews by lovelymallie

Omg. This nailpolish is sooo amazing.
It has the perfect minty shade and is deffintly one of my all time favorite nail polishes.
Is is really pigmented (you only need one coat) and it have a big brush.

Perfect for spring and summer!
- only down side is that Essie is really pricy were I live, but I will buy it again!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2013 11:39:00 PM More reviews by AliceJessie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm typing this ever so carefully waiting for my first coat to dry. This is my first Essie polish so I was taken aback by the tiny brush! Being an OPI lover this was quite a size difference.
Anyway, I haven't applied polish in months so my application was pretty average however the formula is lovely. Not too gloopy, thick or thin. I will be applying another coat to even out my first attempt.
The color is gorgeous, pastel minty blue. A spring color for sure, but blow it, I'm wearing it for winter (I live in NZ)
Price wise I can't really say much as Essie is unavailable here so I sought out online measures and got my bottle for $13 NZD. Still pricey but compared to $26 for OPI from a store...
My first coat seems to be drying quickly, yay!
Love the bottle, so much I plan on many more Essie's :)
Will I repurchase? Yes if it breaks or ever runs out, although I have quite an OPI collection to work through.
Definitely pleased with my purchase and would recommend this to anyone who loves pastel colors.
Con: I have pink undertones but this has brought out the yellow in me. Only slightly though. Still, love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2013 2:33:00 PM More reviews by RebeccaThomson

This polish is a beautiful colour, especially for spring/summer! I heard about it from a beauty guru on youtube- Bethany Mota (Macbarbie07). I have received many compliments when wearing it and I love the brush on Essie nail polishes as they are fairly big and equally spread the product :)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2013 2:12:00 PM More reviews by HunnyBear12234

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is one of my favorite colors. It comes out more green than minty blue which I was not expecting but it is sooo pretty. I have never gotten more compliments on a nail color wearing this. The only downside is it is a little streaky during application but it comes out looking fine.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/11/2013 4:13:00 PM More reviews by fkl201041

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I know it's been out for a while and there are now floating around with two versions of the color. One is bluer and the one that released currently is more similar to the original, which is a minty green. the one I got is the minty color that I always wanted but wasn't sure if it's right for me.

I didn't get it when it first came out because my skintone just won't go well with any pastel shades. I love this color and seeing all the hypes about it... and finding stores ran out of it... i just had to have it when i finally came across the new stock arrived in store... :P

I'm still not very sure if the color fits my skintone, and I'm just having it on as accent with turquoise and caicos just to be safe, but I think it's growing on me and I might finally try having it on as a full mani :)

Formula wise, it's a little gloopy, so it's a little tricky to apply. but once you got the right amount, it glides on nicely and you can have it perfect in one coat (and two coats might look a bit too thick if you're not careful enough.... due to the gloopiness i guess...? ) This is not the most self-leveling essie polish I own, but as a starky color like this, i think they have already done a pretty decent job.

update: i have just switched to a full mani with MCA and I just love it... the more i look at my nails the more i love the look! :D and i think it works better with 2 thin coats