Calamine Lotion

4.5

Active Ingredients: Calamine (6.971%) (skin protectant), Zinc Oxide (6.971%) (skin protectant) Inactive Ingredients: Bentonite, Calcium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Water (Purified)

on 1/26/2013 10:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I tried this on my hormonal acne due to the rave reviews but it did absolutely nothing for me other than giving my partner something to laugh at, as it looks ridiculous spread all over your face.
I had an allergic reaction to sashimi I ate overseas and it did soothe the massive hives all over my chin and neck, but I wouldn't recommend going out in public with it anywhere in sight.
For the price it's definitely one of those items worth keeping in your medicine cabinet for emergencies.

on 1/18/2013 3:47:00 PM

So this is a review for Calamine Lotion as an acne treatment. Why did I not think of this sooner!!! My Mom used this way back in the day when I got the chicken pox and it helped so much with the itchiness. I get cystic acne that is very itchy and painful. I am using this as an all over facial mask before I go to bed at night because I am currently having an acne explosion all over my face!! This is really helping me....the itchiness has calmed down and the swelling is gone!! I have also read that people are using this to help reduce acne scarring....I'm not sure if this will work for scars but it would be awesome if it could. I have been using this for a week so that's not enough time to notice improvement on scarring but if anything changes I will update later :)

on 1/14/2013 6:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Meh. Doesn't really do anything for me. For mosquito bites it only provides relief for about half an hour. As for pimples, it neither helps nor hinders them. Not sure why everyone's raving about it... ?
I should also add that it has an extremely thin, liquidy consistency & no matter how careful you are, this will get on your carpet or possessions at some point. It's unavoidable. Plus, despite the fact that I clean under my nails thoroughly, this stains the underside & it makes me very self-conscious about showing anyone that side of my hand.

I gave it 3 stars because it has never made any of my problems *worse* but it doesn't do much to make them better either. I think it would be good for people with very mild skin irritations/mosquito bites. I'm allergic to mosquito bites, so it really does nothing to help me. I do remember it being good for chicken pox though, as long as one applied it every hour or so.

on 1/13/2013 2:03:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I've been recommending plain old pink calamine lotion on the skincare board forever as a great mask and spot-treatment for acne, and I've been using it myself just as long. Calamine is the only product I can rely on to soothe and dry out any acne when my rosacea or eczema is flaring. It contains zinc oxide, so beware if that clogs you up. For me, zinc is calming, and reduces the redness in my skin.

If my face is breaking out and oily something fierce, I use a fan brush to spread the thin liquid all over my face after cleansing, then wash it off when dry. It's tough to remove, so a washcloth is required. I also use a q-tip to dab it on zits as an overnight treatment when my face is irritated but also broken-out. It can be overly drying, so I always make sure to moisturize well after using.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

This is a necessity in everyone's house because it's great for calming rashes and irritations. It's a must-use for chicken pox.

I've also seen it advertised as a face care product but I would never use if for that. I'm pretty sure it blocked my pores and caused me to break out.

Calamine lotion is a must have in every household.
It is very cooling for skin irritations - sunburnt, bug bites and rashes.

I don't know how I would go through summer without calamine lotion!
When I get sunburnt, this stuff cools you right down.
When you get mosquito bites, this stuff stops the itching.
When you get rashes, like when I had an allergic reaction and I got a rash all over my body, my back, chest, legs, arms, neck, everywhere...
Calamine lotion was a miracle. It cooled my boiling rashes straight away, and stopped the itching.

Perfect skin irritation lotion!

on 9/25/2012 8:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This review is for ICM's Calamol Lotion which can be found in Watsons, Guardian and Unity.

This lotion works very well for flattening stubborn pimples. I drip the lotion onto a cotton swab and dab it onto them twice daily. Then I'll just wait for about 2-3 days for the pimples to die down.

I also use it to keep acne away. I dab a little bit of the lotion all over my face before I go to bed. It has been working very well for me due to my oily skin. However, those with dry skin might find it too drying.

Edit: I no longer dab it all over my face. I found it irritating, although I still use it as spot treatment.

Edit: down to 3 stars. too harsh on my skin to be used in the long run. a good short-term solution though.

on 6/4/2012 2:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Shockingly, this is the best primer I've ever used for my acne-prone, oily face. In the past, I've gone through Mac, Bare Escentuals, ELF, etc. However, nothing quite holds my makeup like calamine. Just yesterday, I was out in the sun all day, playing sports etc. and my makeup stayed put and looked fresh for over 9 hours. I was amazed. I use a small bit all over my face (not under my eyes) and calamine provides such a great base. So excited to have found this little trick. My calamine is from Walgreens, cost about $4 and I couldn't be happier. Hasn't broken me out at all.

on 5/8/2012 10:37:00 PM

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I use this as an eyeshadow primer. It really, really works and is much cheaper than TFSI or UDPP. While it won't make your eyeshadow more vibrant it will hold your eyeshadow in place all day, every bit as well as TFSI or UDPP. You shake the bottle and put your finger over the dropper, and tilt the bottle to get a drop onto your fingertip. Apply across eyelids. Maybe you'll need more or less, it will vary. A nice thing about it is that even when applied to the eyelids, you can apply eyeshadow with a wet brush and it doesn't affect the calamine lotion's ability to keep your eyeshadow in place. I do recommend applying eyeshadows wet because unlike UDPP or TFSI the calamine lotion does not make them look vibrant; otherwise use a neutral cream base over the calamine lotion. If it is too pale for your skintone you can wear foundation over it and it won't minimize its effectiveness much either. I wish there was a more convenient packaging solution but considering how cheap it is I can not complain too much. I use Humco brand, which although quite runny, has the shortest, most natural set of ingredients I can find.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Love using this to quick dry my unruly pimples, especialy around that time of the month. I have been using this as a home remedy for about 7 years. I noticed that it varies, sometimes the pimple just disappears and other times it takes awhile. It does lessen the pimple and a lot of the time I will use it over my prescribed acne medicine. I have very oily, acne prone skin but this definitely helps. It might break some people out by clogging the pores but I haven't had that problem which is unbelievable. Definitely suggest for spot treatments!

Popular Treatments (Face)