April 24, 2014 | 1782 users online

Treatments - Calamine Lotion

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2011 12:27:00 PM More reviews by gracejones

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a product everyone should try at least once.
This is for calamine lotion NOT caladryl which I believe is not nearly as effective. I got mine at the Rexall pharmacy it was very cheap. It seems to separate so you have to shake it before use but once you've done that you're golden! I used to use this before, dont know why I stopped as this is top stuff.

Pros:
-It is dirt cheap
- It is easy to use
- It fades acne scars and cold sore scars
- it dries out spots and pimples
- it fights irritation
- it does not leave skin red like BP and other harsh treatments
- it evens out skin tone

Cons:
- it is messy to use, quite easy to spill
- you can only wear it at night/at home

Conclusion:
AMAZING STUFF
this is better than BP or all the other expensive trash they try to market to us.
BP and other harsh treatments always left my skin red and damaged. Thank the heavens for giving us calamine, truly, I am so grateful to have such a gentle but effective treatment. Spots wont disappear over night but with patience and regular application at night they will gently dry up leaving no scars or marks -which is amazing as I usually pick or use BP and end up with horrible scars.
Calamine prevents scarring, nature's best in a bottle made by great people! Thanks for making calamine! Love it!
HG! HG! HG! HG! HG! HG! HG! HG! HG!

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2011 2:06:00 AM More reviews by thebobcat64

I tried to use this last year to prevent body breakouts, but it did not end up helping with that. I remember using it as a kid though for bug bites.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2010 4:16:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

- Skip down to 'Final Consensus' for short summary of overall thoughts on product -

Something to note: Caladryl is NOT Calamine Lotion. They both contain some of the same ingredients, but Caladryl is a completely different product.
"Caladryl Clear is a protectant and anesthetic combination. It works by temporarily relieving itching and pain."
"Calamine Lotion is a skin protectant. It works by soothing and protecting the skin." *

What it Does:
Soothing and protecting the skin following minor skin irritations (itching, pain, and discomfort) including poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac.

Packaging:
Most bottles of Calamine Lotion come in a regular bottle with a twist-off cap. There are various sizes. All bottles will list the ingredients, both medicated/active and non-medicated/inactive. I'll admit, it's pretty messy.

Smell:
It somewhat reminds me of clay, for good reason, as clay is a main component. It reminds me of playing with clay while at the old lake my relatives and I used to go to in the summer.

Consistency:
Consistency will differ depending on formulation. Generally, they will be quite liquidy, pink in colour, and chalky once dry. Some are thicker than others as well. I've used one with bentonite clay as the first ingredient, and found this one to be thicker, pinker, and more drying. The other I've used placed bentonite near the end of the ingredients list, and it was much runnier, but still drying. The thicker one dried with more cracks on the skin.

Ease of Use:
Very simple to use. If used as a spot treatment for acne, simply shake the bottle, apply a q-tip into the mixture and dab onto affected areas. This product can be reapplied throughout the day up to three times or so. If used for actual irritation on the body, repeat the same steps. It is not supposed to be used on large areas, although I don't know what kind of side effects would be seen if used on large areas. Some people will use this after shaving/waxing, in which case I'd recommend applying it to the area with a cotton ball/pad or even one of those makeup sponges, leaving it on for 20-30 minutes and rinsing off - otherwise it may dry the area out too much.

Bang for your Buck:
Very cheap. I bought a small 3-4oz bottle for less than two dollars, which lasted a few months with regular use. Definitely a great product to have around the house, and seeing as there are various sizes, you can buy an appropriate size depending on how often you think you may use it.

Final Consensus:
A versatile product that almost everyone has used at least once in their lifetime. Most users here are using it for acne, but there are multiple uses for this product - irritation, itching, post-shave, etc. For facial acne purposes, this product just doesn't work for me and is not something I'd try out again. I've used it on my body as well and did not notice much improvement; overall, this product just doesn't seem to really be effective for my skin.
- Pros: Cheap, easy-to-find, easy-to-use, multipurpose, simple ingredients,
- Cons: Extremely drying, difficult to remove from the skin, leaves an obvious residue on the skin (can only be used at night or when spending the day at home), can leave the skin looking redder from dryness, possibly comedogenic from the zinc oxide, ineffective on my skin in terms of soothing irritations, messy.
Did not work for me, but I do still recommend others to try it out.

Overall Rating: 3/5
Price: 1/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

18 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2010 6:09:00 AM More reviews by misscruella16

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok this is my favorite mask right now. Ive used so many. I didnt like mint julep because it was a little irritating, but this is just what im looking for. make sure to get one with good ingredients. mine had bentonite in it, a type of clay thats great for absorbing oil. and there is no alcohol in the one i bought, DONT GET ONE WITH ALCOHOL. it defeats the purpose of this mask. I dont think mine is a brand name, I think I got the CVS generic brand. but anyways, used as a mask this dries up spots and at the same time calms them. it calms redness and absorbs oil. I put it on a huge pimple I had, well more of like a cyst, and when I took it off the redness had gone down sooo much. I love calamine products. read my review for the aveeno calamine cream. i also love this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2010 11:27:00 AM More reviews by Gizzyxx

I read about this on a revew here on MUA and I thought I would try it.....

This is fantastic for reducing the redness caused by spots and blemishes. Because it leaves a chalky pink colour on my skin (I am NC35) I have to use this at night, right before I go to bed.

I wake up with no redness at all and find that it dramatically reduces the appearance of my acne which is fantastic!!

Its cheap. 99p from Boots (I had to go to a large branch, smaller branches didnt have it) for 200ml but its a glass bottle and not pretty or travel friendly so I have decanted some into a smaller plastic bottle.

I am also taking Zinc (one the ingrediants in Calamine lotion) orally in the form of 25mg tablets (one a day) and I think that has also helped improve my acne.

Another reviewer said that she uses this after shaving her bikini area...and i have to say after trying it - its great for down there too. I leave it on for 15 mins and then wash it off and I find I dont get as many in growing hairs and the redness and irritation is next to none!

Fantastic and cheap....I LOVE it!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2010 1:04:00 PM More reviews by bambilion

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

If you ever suffer from painful acne this is your product! I get cystic acne i can feel with its own pulse under my skin, throughout the day(if im not headed anywhere) and at night i apply a decent amount to the area with a qtip let it dry wihich only takes 5-8 min. and then continue to reapply and let it dry in between applications, usually when i do this they dont even break the skin..all the swelling goes down, and i follow with the triple antibiotic cream recomended on here...cant think of the name of it right now. i looooove calamine lotion and think it would work on any skin type.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2010 11:28:00 AM More reviews by untinnu

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

So..I normally have 'clear' skin, just a few blemishes that can cover up easily with powder. I recently started breaking out, probably due to a moisturizer that I decided to try. Anyways, my usual Tea Tree Oil didn't work (tried it for a week, no improvement), so I decided to get a BP medicated face wash (also tried for a week, no improvement), which I think aggravate it even more. I have a concert coming up, so in my desperate times, I remember seeing reviews for calamine lotion and I had a bottle in my bathroom cabinet, so I decided to give it a try. I've been using this for 3 nights already, I REALLY packed it on. And now, the cystic acne are beginning to disappear. I can actually cover it up now with just my usual powder foundation.
The calamine is really drying, but it actually did not make my skin flaky, so it's pretty good..when using calamine lotion, I actually moisturize with jojoba oil first. This is really cheap, so it doesn't hurt to try it out..unless you're allergic to calamine.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2010 9:38:00 PM More reviews by shelly4519

WONDERFUL!!!!!!! I use this as a spot treatment before bedtime and leave it on over night it greatly reduced the size and redness of problem areas more than any other of the bazillion products I have tried! Also I put it on my cheeks if they start to clog from trying a new moisturizer! Works great!!! Will never be without again! Package is not ideal but hey it works thats all I really care about anyway!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2010 12:17:00 PM More reviews by tealeafdoll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

(I am using the Boots own brand Calamine lotion with Zinc, which only cost me 99p!)
I was in the chemist recently and saw this calamine lotion whilst I was buying some witch hazel and as it was so cheap and I know that my skin liks calamine I decided to give it a try.
As this isn't a clear liquid (its a pale pink milky colour) I can't use it during the day, but I apply it at night as a treatment, with a cotton ball. I have had fantastic results through doing this. It is very good if your skin is a little sensitive and can't tolerate all the BP, Salicylic acid etc that are in normal acne treatments.
Fantastic product, so glad I found it, very cheap and easy to use, with great results. Def. recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2010 2:41:00 PM More reviews by jmstraight

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I always have the clear calamine on hand for mosquito bites in the summer. I had never before thought about using it on my face (for acne). I can't remember where I came across this tip (probably here on MUA) and I figured it couldn't hurt to try it. My skin has gotten VERY bad within the past 6 months or so. I've tried different cleansers, toners/astringents, bought the Neutrogena Wave, different spot treatments....nothing has helped. The left side of my face along my jawline was always red, painful, and had lots of cystic acne. I went out and got the CVS brand of the calamine lotion, the regular pink stuff. I have been using it as a mask/spot treatment at night for not even a week yet and it has changed my skin considerably. It's not as red, it doesn't hurt and I'm not having the big nasty cysts. By no means is my skin clear, but it's such a big improvement I can't believe it. I felt like a freak or monster before, and now I'm not ashamed to go out in public. This can be a little drying so I make sure to moisturize, but it's totally worth it for the results I've seen so far. This is the clearest my face has been in SIX MONTHS!!! This bottle should last a long time but when it does run out if I still need it I will definitely repurchase.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No