November 28, 2014 | 1812 users online

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2011 11:46:00 PM More reviews by ktmalady

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had been searching for something to relieve my very sensitive skin after shaving and I'd tried everything. Aloe vera, Bikini Zone, etc... and nothing. And then I read in one review that Calamine lotion was the answer so I bought a cheap bottle at the grocery store. And guess what? It works well... and quickly. I'm thrilled. No more irritation!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2011 11:26:00 PM More reviews by ep27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This review is for CVS brand Calamine lotion.

PROS:
*Lasts a long time
*Unscented
*Great acne spot treatment
*Great mask
*Minimal ingredients list

CONS:
*VERY thin consistency

I am hoping to find this cheaper at a $1 store or Dollar General. I thought it was a little overpriced at CVS (and it was their brand).

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2011 2:40:00 PM More reviews by angel888

OMG. I cannot believe I haven't tried this sooner !I had this horrible cyst on my chin... FIVE whiteheads had managed to mutate into a huge pulsating growth. It hurt to even smile ! I was about to head to the derm for an injection but figured I'd try this instead and maybe save myself 30 bucks...I put this stuff on and left it over night... Next morning it was GONE. No swelling, one tiny dried up whitehead was all that remained. I was floored ! I have tried retin a, benzoyl peroxide you name it I've never got results like this ! The only drawback is u get really flaky where u put it on and it leaves a whiteish skin that's hard to scrub off but who cares ! This cost me 4 bucks ! I will use this forever !!!

19 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2011 7:39:00 PM More reviews by sweetprincess88

I don't have SUPER bad skin. just a little bit of acne on my forehead and chin. I sometimes get these big red bumps that take FOREVER to form and then they stay on for like a month or more! I can't even pop them because theres no head! anyways I put calamine lotion on one and in like 20 minutes it was like 50% smaller! I can usually feel one of these bad pimples coming because my skin hurts. Once it starts hurting, I put some calamine lotion on it and the zit doesnt even come up! THIS IS AMAZING! Love it!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2011 12:27:00 PM More reviews by gracejones

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a product everyone should try at least once.
This is for calamine lotion NOT caladryl which I believe is not nearly as effective. I got mine at the Rexall pharmacy it was very cheap. It seems to separate so you have to shake it before use but once you've done that you're golden! I used to use this before, dont know why I stopped as this is top stuff.

Pros:
-It is dirt cheap
- It is easy to use
- It fades acne scars and cold sore scars
- it dries out spots and pimples
- it fights irritation
- it does not leave skin red like BP and other harsh treatments
- it evens out skin tone

Cons:
- it is messy to use, quite easy to spill
- you can only wear it at night/at home

Conclusion:
AMAZING STUFF
this is better than BP or all the other expensive trash they try to market to us.
BP and other harsh treatments always left my skin red and damaged. Thank the heavens for giving us calamine, truly, I am so grateful to have such a gentle but effective treatment. Spots wont disappear over night but with patience and regular application at night they will gently dry up leaving no scars or marks -which is amazing as I usually pick or use BP and end up with horrible scars.
Calamine prevents scarring, nature's best in a bottle made by great people! Thanks for making calamine! Love it!
HG! HG! HG! HG! HG! HG! HG! HG! HG!

20 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2011 2:06:00 AM More reviews by thebobcat64

I tried to use this last year to prevent body breakouts, but it did not end up helping with that. I remember using it as a kid though for bug bites.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2010 4:16:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

- Skip down to 'Final Consensus' for short summary of overall thoughts on product -

Something to note: Caladryl is NOT Calamine Lotion. They both contain some of the same ingredients, but Caladryl is a completely different product.
"Caladryl Clear is a protectant and anesthetic combination. It works by temporarily relieving itching and pain."
"Calamine Lotion is a skin protectant. It works by soothing and protecting the skin." *

What it Does:
Soothing and protecting the skin following minor skin irritations (itching, pain, and discomfort) including poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac.

Packaging:
Most bottles of Calamine Lotion come in a regular bottle with a twist-off cap. There are various sizes. All bottles will list the ingredients, both medicated/active and non-medicated/inactive. I'll admit, it's pretty messy.

Smell:
It somewhat reminds me of clay, for good reason, as clay is a main component. It reminds me of playing with clay while at the old lake my relatives and I used to go to in the summer.

Consistency:
Consistency will differ depending on formulation. Generally, they will be quite liquidy, pink in colour, and chalky once dry. Some are thicker than others as well. I've used one with bentonite clay as the first ingredient, and found this one to be thicker, pinker, and more drying. The other I've used placed bentonite near the end of the ingredients list, and it was much runnier, but still drying. The thicker one dried with more cracks on the skin.

Ease of Use:
Very simple to use. If used as a spot treatment for acne, simply shake the bottle, apply a q-tip into the mixture and dab onto affected areas. This product can be reapplied throughout the day up to three times or so. If used for actual irritation on the body, repeat the same steps. It is not supposed to be used on large areas, although I don't know what kind of side effects would be seen if used on large areas. Some people will use this after shaving/waxing, in which case I'd recommend applying it to the area with a cotton ball/pad or even one of those makeup sponges, leaving it on for 20-30 minutes and rinsing off - otherwise it may dry the area out too much.

Bang for your Buck:
Very cheap. I bought a small 3-4oz bottle for less than two dollars, which lasted a few months with regular use. Definitely a great product to have around the house, and seeing as there are various sizes, you can buy an appropriate size depending on how often you think you may use it.

Final Consensus:
A versatile product that almost everyone has used at least once in their lifetime. Most users here are using it for acne, but there are multiple uses for this product - irritation, itching, post-shave, etc. For facial acne purposes, this product just doesn't work for me and is not something I'd try out again. I've used it on my body as well and did not notice much improvement; overall, this product just doesn't seem to really be effective for my skin.
- Pros: Cheap, easy-to-find, easy-to-use, multipurpose, simple ingredients,
- Cons: Extremely drying, difficult to remove from the skin, leaves an obvious residue on the skin (can only be used at night or when spending the day at home), can leave the skin looking redder from dryness, possibly comedogenic from the zinc oxide, ineffective on my skin in terms of soothing irritations, messy.
Did not work for me, but I do still recommend others to try it out.

Overall Rating: 3/5
Price: 1/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

20 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2010 6:09:00 AM More reviews by misscruella16

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok this is my favorite mask right now. Ive used so many. I didnt like mint julep because it was a little irritating, but this is just what im looking for. make sure to get one with good ingredients. mine had bentonite in it, a type of clay thats great for absorbing oil. and there is no alcohol in the one i bought, DONT GET ONE WITH ALCOHOL. it defeats the purpose of this mask. I dont think mine is a brand name, I think I got the CVS generic brand. but anyways, used as a mask this dries up spots and at the same time calms them. it calms redness and absorbs oil. I put it on a huge pimple I had, well more of like a cyst, and when I took it off the redness had gone down sooo much. I love calamine products. read my review for the aveeno calamine cream. i also love this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2010 11:27:00 AM More reviews by Gizzyxx

I read about this on a revew here on MUA and I thought I would try it.....

This is fantastic for reducing the redness caused by spots and blemishes. Because it leaves a chalky pink colour on my skin (I am NC35) I have to use this at night, right before I go to bed.

I wake up with no redness at all and find that it dramatically reduces the appearance of my acne which is fantastic!!

Its cheap. 99p from Boots (I had to go to a large branch, smaller branches didnt have it) for 200ml but its a glass bottle and not pretty or travel friendly so I have decanted some into a smaller plastic bottle.

I am also taking Zinc (one the ingrediants in Calamine lotion) orally in the form of 25mg tablets (one a day) and I think that has also helped improve my acne.

Another reviewer said that she uses this after shaving her bikini area...and i have to say after trying it - its great for down there too. I leave it on for 15 mins and then wash it off and I find I dont get as many in growing hairs and the redness and irritation is next to none!

Fantastic and cheap....I LOVE it!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2010 1:04:00 PM More reviews by bambilion

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

If you ever suffer from painful acne this is your product! I get cystic acne i can feel with its own pulse under my skin, throughout the day(if im not headed anywhere) and at night i apply a decent amount to the area with a qtip let it dry wihich only takes 5-8 min. and then continue to reapply and let it dry in between applications, usually when i do this they dont even break the skin..all the swelling goes down, and i follow with the triple antibiotic cream recomended on here...cant think of the name of it right now. i looooove calamine lotion and think it would work on any skin type.