Calamine Lotion

4.6

Price: $

Price: $

Active Ingredients: Calamine (6.971%) (skin protectant), Zinc Oxide (6.971%) (skin protectant) Inactive Ingredients: Bentonite, Calcium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Water (Purified)

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Love using this to quick dry my unruly pimples, especialy around that time of the month. I have been using this as a home remedy for about 7 years. I noticed that it varies, sometimes the pimple just disappears and other times it takes awhile. It does lessen the pimple and a lot of the time I will use it over my prescribed acne medicine. I have very oily, acne prone skin but this definitely helps. It might break some people out by clogging the pores but I haven't had that problem which is unbelievable. Definitely suggest for spot treatments!

on 5/10/2011 12:49:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I read somewhere that one could use this product for acne so I had to give it a try. I don't have bad breakouts but did use it on several large pimples. I used a cotton swab to apply it and let it sit overnight. My pimple reduced in size and redness. I was pretty impressed and researched other uses for this product. I found that people also use it as a makeup base to control oil. I tried it (using a very thin layer because it leaves a white chalky residue) and saw results but I just didn't care for the texture that it created when mixed with my makeup towards the end of the day. I also have very oily eyelids and thought to use this as an eyeshadow primer. I did an experiment and only applied it to one of my eyelids and did makeup checks periodically throughout the day. Amazingly it worked! Where the eyelid without the primer had completely faded and creased @4hrs, they eyelid with the calamine primer was perfect and fresh. Because the calamine lotion left my eyelids dry I found it hard to get my eyeshadow to stick and the color was not very vibrant. Now I use calamine lotion under my Loreal Decrease eyeshadow primer and find that it works perfectly. (I also did a test using the Lorel Decrease alone on one eye and with the calamine lotion as a base for the Loreal Decrease and found that this combination did extend the life of my eyeshadow) . I have also heard of using Milk of Magnesia to control oil but have yet to try it.

on 4/8/2011 8:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I wish I had a before/after pic to show how awesome this stuff works on acne. I had a cystic acne breakout all over my mouth, chin, and cheek area. I think I have an occasional hormonal issue & I breakout bad. I'm talking, around 10 pimples or so. It's so hideous that I am honestly embarrassed to be out in public. I usually use Clean&clear, Neutrogena, or the like. But I have to use salycic acid because I will peel like crazy w/BP. Anyhoo, I was ready to try anything. because this has been my all time worse breakout ever.
I tried this out on a Monday. I applied the Calamine generously all over the affected areas with a cotton ball. My face was killing me. As someone else previously mentioned, less is more & I wish I read these reviews before putting matters into my own hands. My face was raw. And I mean raw. I wanted to just stick my face in a bowl of ice. I dont know if it was the CL or the mix of it w/my other acne products. My pimples looked huge and yellow, but I swore to leave them alone. I figured I'd try again the next day.
So, onto the next day. I washed my face with a gentle wash and towel dried it& very lightly dabbed the pimples with a very light layer of CL. Let it stay on and dry out for a few hours. By nite time my face had calmed down. Now, I have been applying no other treatments besides washing with my usual face wash. Night time, same routine.
I repeated this til Friday. Now I am a believer. My pimples are flat. they generally peeled off. Minimal scarring, my peeling &dryness has stopped. I'm going to try using this routine forever and post an update in a month or so.
I paid $3 for a good sized bottle & i'm sure this bottle should last for quite awhile. I just wish there was a better way to apply it. It's quite messy & runny.
Overall, I'm a happy camper. It will take a few days to work, but be patient it will. And also, less is more. If you have sensitive skin, especially. I would lightly dab a small area of interest at first to see how your skin reacts. *= )

on 3/26/2011 11:46:00 PM

I had been searching for something to relieve my very sensitive skin after shaving and I'd tried everything. Aloe vera, Bikini Zone, etc... and nothing. And then I read in one review that Calamine lotion was the answer so I bought a cheap bottle at the grocery store. And guess what? It works well... and quickly. I'm thrilled. No more irritation!

on 3/26/2011 11:26:00 PM

This review is for CVS brand Calamine lotion.

PROS:
*Lasts a long time
*Unscented
*Great acne spot treatment
*Great mask
*Minimal ingredients list

CONS:
*VERY thin consistency

I am hoping to find this cheaper at a $1 store or Dollar General. I thought it was a little overpriced at CVS (and it was their brand).

on 3/26/2011 2:40:00 PM

OMG. I cannot believe I haven't tried this sooner !I had this horrible cyst on my chin... FIVE whiteheads had managed to mutate into a huge pulsating growth. It hurt to even smile ! I was about to head to the derm for an injection but figured I'd try this instead and maybe save myself 30 bucks...I put this stuff on and left it over night... Next morning it was GONE. No swelling, one tiny dried up whitehead was all that remained. I was floored ! I have tried retin a, benzoyl peroxide you name it I've never got results like this ! The only drawback is u get really flaky where u put it on and it leaves a whiteish skin that's hard to scrub off but who cares ! This cost me 4 bucks ! I will use this forever !!!

I don't have SUPER bad skin. just a little bit of acne on my forehead and chin. I sometimes get these big red bumps that take FOREVER to form and then they stay on for like a month or more! I can't even pop them because theres no head! anyways I put calamine lotion on one and in like 20 minutes it was like 50% smaller! I can usually feel one of these bad pimples coming because my skin hurts. Once it starts hurting, I put some calamine lotion on it and the zit doesnt even come up! THIS IS AMAZING! Love it!

on 2/3/2011 12:27:00 PM

This is a product everyone should try at least once.
This is for calamine lotion NOT caladryl which I believe is not nearly as effective. I got mine at the Rexall pharmacy it was very cheap. It seems to separate so you have to shake it before use but once you've done that you're golden! I used to use this before, dont know why I stopped as this is top stuff.

Pros:
-It is dirt cheap
- It is easy to use
- It fades acne scars and cold sore scars
- it dries out spots and pimples
- it fights irritation
- it does not leave skin red like BP and other harsh treatments
- it evens out skin tone

Cons:
- it is messy to use, quite easy to spill
- you can only wear it at night/at home

Conclusion:
AMAZING STUFF
this is better than BP or all the other expensive trash they try to market to us.
BP and other harsh treatments always left my skin red and damaged. Thank the heavens for giving us calamine, truly, I am so grateful to have such a gentle but effective treatment. Spots wont disappear over night but with patience and regular application at night they will gently dry up leaving no scars or marks -which is amazing as I usually pick or use BP and end up with horrible scars.
Calamine prevents scarring, nature's best in a bottle made by great people! Thanks for making calamine! Love it!
HG! HG! HG! HG! HG! HG! HG! HG! HG!

on 1/3/2011 2:06:00 AM

I tried to use this last year to prevent body breakouts, but it did not end up helping with that. I remember using it as a kid though for bug bites.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

- Skip down to 'Final Consensus' for short summary of overall thoughts on product -

Something to note: Caladryl is NOT Calamine Lotion. They both contain some of the same ingredients, but Caladryl is a completely different product.
"Caladryl Clear is a protectant and anesthetic combination. It works by temporarily relieving itching and pain."
"Calamine Lotion is a skin protectant. It works by soothing and protecting the skin." *

What it Does:
Soothing and protecting the skin following minor skin irritations (itching, pain, and discomfort) including poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac.

Packaging:
Most bottles of Calamine Lotion come in a regular bottle with a twist-off cap. There are various sizes. All bottles will list the ingredients, both medicated/active and non-medicated/inactive. I'll admit, it's pretty messy.

Smell:
It somewhat reminds me of clay, for good reason, as clay is a main component. It reminds me of playing with clay while at the old lake my relatives and I used to go to in the summer.

Consistency:
Consistency will differ depending on formulation. Generally, they will be quite liquidy, pink in colour, and chalky once dry. Some are thicker than others as well. I've used one with bentonite clay as the first ingredient, and found this one to be thicker, pinker, and more drying. The other I've used placed bentonite near the end of the ingredients list, and it was much runnier, but still drying. The thicker one dried with more cracks on the skin.

Ease of Use:
Very simple to use. If used as a spot treatment for acne, simply shake the bottle, apply a q-tip into the mixture and dab onto affected areas. This product can be reapplied throughout the day up to three times or so. If used for actual irritation on the body, repeat the same steps. It is not supposed to be used on large areas, although I don't know what kind of side effects would be seen if used on large areas. Some people will use this after shaving/waxing, in which case I'd recommend applying it to the area with a cotton ball/pad or even one of those makeup sponges, leaving it on for 20-30 minutes and rinsing off - otherwise it may dry the area out too much.

Bang for your Buck:
Very cheap. I bought a small 3-4oz bottle for less than two dollars, which lasted a few months with regular use. Definitely a great product to have around the house, and seeing as there are various sizes, you can buy an appropriate size depending on how often you think you may use it.

Final Consensus:
A versatile product that almost everyone has used at least once in their lifetime. Most users here are using it for acne, but there are multiple uses for this product - irritation, itching, post-shave, etc. For facial acne purposes, this product just doesn't work for me and is not something I'd try out again. I've used it on my body as well and did not notice much improvement; overall, this product just doesn't seem to really be effective for my skin.
- Pros: Cheap, easy-to-find, easy-to-use, multipurpose, simple ingredients,
- Cons: Extremely drying, difficult to remove from the skin, leaves an obvious residue on the skin (can only be used at night or when spending the day at home), can leave the skin looking redder from dryness, possibly comedogenic from the zinc oxide, ineffective on my skin in terms of soothing irritations, messy.
Did not work for me, but I do still recommend others to try it out.

Overall Rating: 3/5
Price: 1/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

Popular Treatments (Face)

Retin A
Lemon Juice

Top Rated Treatments (Face)