October 20, 2014 | 1588 users online

Top/Base Coats - Essie - Matte About You

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2011 11:42:00 PM More reviews by hkugler

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

While I'm not a huge fan of Essie nail polishes because of the brush, this top coat provides a good matte look. It took me a couple of times to get the hang of applying it. You have to put a lot on because the brush is so skinny. If the brush was wider this product could be a 5! My mani didn't chip early and seemed to stay matte till I took it off. I need to try and find an OPI version because their brushes are just so much nicer.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/5/2011 10:15:00 PM More reviews by Maureen13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The effect that you get with this topcoat is awesome. It looks great and adds so much versatility to your nail polish collection with just this one bottle. It's definitely a cool product and worth the money.

That being said, it chips rather easily. I used this over two coats of OPI polish with OPI Chip Skip and a base coat, and by the end of the first day I noticed cracks. By the end of the second day, there were some pretty serious chips. In addition, they started to lose their "matte-ness" by the end of the first day. I've heard this is typical of all matte polishes - that you should avoid getting your nails wet and using lotion on them (I avoided neither of those things, so I'm not shocked) in order to keep them from getting shiny.

Overall, I think this is a really good product and I will repurchase. You should just be prepared to do macitence when wearing it - probably reapplying a coat of this every day.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2011 10:02:00 PM More reviews by micdeajones

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a useful and worthwhile product. I like the versatility it adds to my nail polish options. What I don't like is how when applied over regular polish, my nails appear to have a sheen to them after 2 or 3 days. They only time the matte look remains consistent is when I wear this over one of my matte Zoya polishes. Like others have stated, this looks best on dark nails. Over regular polish it chips rather quickly IMO (for the price) but over Zoya or Chanel it lasts. I'm inclined to attribute that to Zoya and Chanel and not Essie. Since it's the only matte top coat I know of, I will definitely purchase it again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2011 5:43:00 PM More reviews by savethemarianne

A great topcoat that will transform your nail polish collection. You simply use it over any of your existing colours and it makes them matte and slightly lighter/dusky. It isn't very cheap at 11.25 but as I said, it can be used over any colour so it's quite good value in terms of how many diff looks you can get out of it. It's quick drying too, you'll see it turn from glossy to matte as it dries, my only issue with it is that it is not a very strong top coat, and chips for easily than my more dedicated top coats. It does what it says on the tin though and as far as I know it's the only mattifying topcoat on the UK market.
*UPDATE* I have since found two much cheaper dupes of this essie matte top coat- 5 for the Gosh one and 3 for the beautyUK one both are in Superdrugs, I was quite gutted!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2011 11:03:00 PM More reviews by RachaelSpiffy

I love this top coat. It makes your nail polish matte which is sometimes exactly what I want. It's nice because then you can make any polish matte, you don't have to buy matte polishes!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/31/2011 10:57:00 AM More reviews by mairynB

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Leaves nails perfectly matte. Not satin, but fully matte. I loved this initially, like for the first 5ish uses, but from then onward it would leave little white specks on my nails as it dried, which look crap and totally ruin a manicure. I'm not sure why it does this - I remember hearing about another polish that if you shake it heaps it fixes it, but I tried that with minimal success. I've worked out that to get next-to-no specks you have to brush the nail heaps, i.e. brush on then continue brushing, like you're sweeping specks off the nail. Keep "sweeping" until the layer of polish looks clear.
Although I've found the solution (sort of) it still pisses me off that this happens in the first place.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2011 5:15:00 AM More reviews by pinkfrost52

I've never gotten into the matte nail trend until now so I just decided to get a top-coat that would work for all my polishes instead of investing in individual matte shades. I love this so far. It dries super quick and almost instantly turns my shiny polishes matte. Be sure to work quickly to cover the nail completely because if you miss even the smallest strip, it will still appear shiny afterwards. A disadvantage with matte top-coats is that you have to let it set properly (about 10min) or else it will "dent" if you touch it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2011 7:56:00 AM More reviews by flower_girl13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this top coat! It dries super quickly, but make sure you've covered the whole nail or there'll be shiny patches. My nails feel smooth, though imperfections definitely show up! A great way to revamp a manicure.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2011 11:43:00 PM More reviews by couturedujour

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

If you can believe it, I went to like 6 area drug stores looking for this and they were ALL sold out! Finally when I was visiting a friend in Manhattan we passed a Duane Reade and I HAD to run in to check if they had it! Luckily, it was in stock! It is like doubling your nail polish collection, you really never need to buy another matte polish. I think it looks best on darker polishes, but you can be creative and create some really interesting looks with this. I certainly recommend you buy it if you love trying new things with your nails!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2011 6:24:00 PM More reviews by chillychili

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Awesome matte top coat. As with all matte top coats, you may need to reapply it after a few days because the matte effect gets a little shiny from washing and lotioning your hands. I definitely would reccomend this.