September 23, 2014 | 1850 users online

Brows - Shu Uemura - Brow Pencil

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2010 10:57:00 AM More reviews by piquantplay

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

After much searching and contemplating other brands, such as MAC's brow pencils, which I decided against as they were rather heavy and artificial looking, I decided to opt for the shu one because it fills your brows in VERY naturally. The shu assistant told me that the pencil works only at the brow area, releasing pigment only when in contact with the oil produced by your brows, and hence explained why I was puzzled when there was nothing on the back of my hand when I tried to test it out there.

In comparison to my previous brow pencils, which often made my brows look rather unnatural, the shu one truly lives up to its reputation, and the dagger-style way in which it is sharpened helps in achieving that naturally-full brow look. Don't be turned off by the high price - it is a really good investment, and will last you a very long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2010 7:05:00 PM More reviews by jennyorkie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great eyebrow pencil! I have this color in Slate. It goes on smooth and light, looks very natural, and most of all, lasts all day long and stays put! Only drawback is the pencil cap is cheap and has cracked, so now it doesnt close tightly.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2010 4:42:00 PM More reviews by RitaPerfect

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

UPDATE: I tried ordering another one of these from Sephora.com and it was out of stock, so I signed up to get a notification when they restock. I just got an email saying that "this item has been DISCONTINUED"!!! Does anyone know if this is being discontinued only at Sephora or everywhere else too?? I am desperate because I absolutely LOVE this brow pencil!!

I have this brow pencil in Seal Brown. I really love this product, but I can't help but cringe every time I think about the $22 price tag. It's great for filling in brows and softly defining their shape without going overboard with the color. My brows look super natural. With other brow pencils, it's very easy to produce brows that look very fake and drawn in. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure if Shu Uemura's sales pitch about the color only showing up when mixed if the natural oils of your brow hairs is just a marketing gimmick, because I've noticed that the same thing happens with the (much cheaper) Maybelline Twin Brow and Eye Pencils. They are also very hard and don't show up well if I'm drawing them on my hand (or eyes). But once I apply it to my brows, I get a soft and natural-looking color. It seems that this "unique feature" is just a side effect of super dry pencils that need a little warming up and some moisture to get going. I would be using these Maybelline pencils, but they don't have a shade that works with my black hair (black is too dark, dark brown is too red). So I guess Shu Uemura is probably the best thing out there for me at the moment. I've heard that the Maybelline Twin Brow Pencil in Charcoal Gray is very comparable to the Shu Uemura Brow Pencil, but it has already been discontinued, so you might need to do some scavenging online to find it. Hope this helps!

NOTE: I've seen some pictures of this pencil where the tip looks sort of squared-off and flat, but mine just resembles a regular pencil with a pointed tip.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2009 9:13:00 PM More reviews by luftballon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used to use eyebrow powder but the lasting power kind of sucked. I bought this in Seal Brown. I'm Asian, with black hair. I love, love how this applies! I am all for the natural brows look and this fits the bill. You have all the control with this pencil, and it is super easy to get accustomed to. I only wish that Shu Uemura still sold Stone Gray here in the U.S. because Seal Brown is a bit too brown.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2009 6:09:00 AM More reviews by na8i

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Problem: You have soft, dark neutral brown brows that can be a bit unruly. Most brow pencils are either too black or too reddish brown and make you look like Frida Kahlo on a bad day. You have near given up on brow care (which is the second most important thing in beauty next to a faking a flawless complexion). You believe your last resort is sticky clear, brow gel (which you hate dealing with).

Solution: Shu Uemura's Hard Formula H9 in the color Seal Brown 02. After owning for no more than 15 minutes I am ready to build a shrine for it and bow down in awe. This is what I have been looking for the last 8 years of my life. While not transferring any color used on bare skin, it still reacts with the oils in your brow to make perfectly filled in brows that look defined, yet natural. I can't even tell I am using anything. It instantly pulls your face together! Also, if you prefer a bit more drama it can be layered. However, it still looks like something nature gave you. I couldn't be happier. It's the first time I feel giddy inside because of a product. There's absolutely nothing to criticize about it.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2009 5:35:00 AM More reviews by Cactus_Pear

I totally agree 100% w/the review below me--Shu brow pencil is AMAZING!!! It's the best for ultra natural, polished beautiful brows. If you're more into an artificial brow look, Shu pencil is not the way to go. When u try to test Shu brow pencil on ur skin, it will not look very pigmented---but when u try it on ur brows, it shows up a lot better. It's supposed to work w/the natural oils on the base of your brow hairs. Stone grey was a little too flat and cool for me-- I have brown hair/brown eyes/warm tan skin so Seal Brown worked better for me bc it looked more natural. HG!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2009 4:07:00 AM More reviews by simplicity

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

The best product for an ultra-natural, long-lasting brows. HG ♥

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2009 12:55:00 PM More reviews by PucaDot

I got this brow pencil in Seal Brown from my bf's mom as a gift. However, I find Stone Gray to be a better fitting color for Asian me as Seal Brown photographs way too brown to be natural looking. This is my HG eyebrow pencil. It is hard formulated so you won't see any color if you swipe it on the back of your hand. But for some reason, it works with the natural oils and hairs on your eyebrows to create the most natural looking brows ever. It works better than any other brow pencil or powder I've tried to date. Sadly Stone Gray has been discontinued in the U.S., but you can still find the color in Asia so stock up if you make any trips overseas. I recommend the color Seal Brown for all ladies as it is such a universally flattering color. However, if you're Asian like me and have black hair, then please get Stone Gray (if you can find it) because in flash photos, it looks the most natural. Packaging wise, this sucks. It comes in a plastic wrap and the cap looks easily breakable. It is also quite expensive, for a brow pencil, retailing at $22. HTH!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2009 3:24:00 AM More reviews by Hedd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Haven't found a better eye brow pencil than this. I've tried Chanel to Too Faced and the color match is better with Shu Uermura. Love it.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/14/2009 7:57:00 AM More reviews by justinestella

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

this product is not bad. a year ago i would have given it full marks but ive found a better product since then and in comparison this one isnt that good anymore.

it looks very natural and has decent staying power, however there have been occasions when i looked in the mirror only to realise that half my brows have wiped off. my brows are very very sparse so for this to happen is quite devastating. compared to other brow pencils of course this stays pretty well but not the best.