November 27, 2014 | 1325 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 9/2/2014 9:46:00 AM More reviews by emilyhipkiss

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

If you find this review helpful please check out my blog emilyhipkiss.blogspot.co.uk

I've been using this foundation for around two months now and it's definitely the best foundation to use if you need a lot of coverage. Despite the heavy coverage this foundation provides, it doesn't feel heavy on my skin and leaves me with a smooth, dewy and healthy glow.
I bought this foundation for my prom and it lasted all day, even in the heat that day. I didn't even need to reapply it later in the evening for the after party, so it lasted all through the day and the evening. This is probably what I like best about this foundation as it's hard to find something that looks as though you've just applied it several hours later. (Since then I've also started using the NARS light reflecting setting powder to keep it on all day, but on the day of prom I used a high street setting powder and the foundation still lasted).
Since I have quite a few freckles on my face, I rarely find foundation that compliments my skin so I decided it was time to actually get matched. Sheer Glow in Siberia is perfect for my skin tone as it's a very pale colour with a neutral balance of yellow and pink undertones that definitely compliment my skin tone.
This foundation is a little on the expensive side at £31 for 30ml, but using the smallest amount provides fantastic coverage. Only one pump makes my skin look flawless. If high street brands just aren't doing it for you, then this is definitely a great alternative.
My only real criticism of this is that, as somebody who already has trouble with dry skin, it does tend to make my skin feel a little dehydrated after I wear it for so long. To avoid this, I always remove my makeup thoroughly using Simple's Moisturising Facial Wash and lukewarm water as soon as I'm home. I also use Simple's hydrating light moisturiser before and after using this foundation. Partly due to the price and partly due to its tendency to dry out my skin, I only use this foundation on important days or days when my skin plays up and I need high quality coverage. For more casual days or most days I have clear skin, I use Rimmel's Match Perfect foundation in Light Porcelain, which makes my skin look & feel good, but you don't get the same coverage or lasting stay.
Something annoying about this foundation is that when you buy it, it doesn't come with a pump so you need to pour it onto the back of your hand before applying. This means some of the foundation goes to waste if you accidentally pour out too much and it's easier for bacteria to get into the foundation. I bought the pump for £3, which isn't expensive but it is inconvenient and for the price of the foundation, you'd think a pump would be included.
Still, this is a high quality product and I would certainly recommend it for it's coverage, how long it lasts and for the healthy glow it gives you.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2014 7:55:00 AM More reviews by ellie179

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

A lovely foundation that has become one of my staples. I use Nars TM in St. Moritz and UD Naked in 5.0 and Stromboli was a good match for me. It has a nice fluid texture that's neither too runny or too thick. I usually pour (as the foundation pump was out of stock) on the back of my hand then use a beauty blender to stipple and blend onto my face. As I'm not a fan of the dewy look since I live in the tropics I usually dust loose powder on my t-zone and the end result is like your skin but better. On my normal to dry skin I found the foundation to be very comfortable to the skin.

This foundation to me is more of a medium coverage with decent wear, and I did not notice much oxidation.

The packaging looks great with the minimalist design, and while pricey I find the foundation to be of quality and worth it. What's ridiculous though, is that you have to buy the pump separately. And the pump was out of stock for the longest time! Come on Nars, you can do better than this!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2014 1:42:00 PM More reviews by greenteamacaron

This is the first foundation I own. I sticked to bb creams for a long time but since they have spf I was looking for something for flash photography and I met this product. First of all, the packaging is very average, which I don't really mind except the fact that it doesn't come with a pump and it costs like $60 in my country. It is a glass bottle so you must treat it carefully. The coverage l would say is medium but buildable to full, it can cover little blemishes and small hyperpigmentation spots. When you first apply it, it doesn't look glowy at all, the glow comes after a few hours, it's not oily though, it's a gorgeous glow that makes your face look healthy. I couldn't find my perfect match though. Barcelona and stromboli were too dark, santa fe was too pink and punjab (the one that I own) is a tad darker and a tad pinkier. I want to try fiji, but I'm afraid it'd be too light. If you have any suggestions, I'm in MAC SC nc25-30 and in BB I am natural 4.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/28/2014 6:15:00 AM More reviews by beautybettyfortruth

As many of the other reviewers have stated, this product is supposed to be good for sensitive skin. I told the staff at Sephora that I needed something that was very hypo allergenic. They went straight for this foundation. They tried some on me in the store and I bought it (along with several other products by the brand).
I took it home and was ok with the color in real light (not horrible weird store light). It was a tad yellow for me but I wore it anyway. Couldn't use it on my nose as it highlighted every pore so I just skipped that area.
Well, started using this product regularly AND JUST LIKE THE OTHER REVIEWERS started breaking out places I've never ever had problems before! Had a bump right below my eye! This is the least oily patch of skin possible. Had a huge pimple in the middle of my cheek! Never in my life have these been places I have had acne before. I was horrified. I even told my sister this foundation is ruining my skin. She asked me why I didn't throw it out. I told her it was so expensive I felt I too guilty to pitch it. She made me throw it out and it's been the best thing for my now clear again skin.
I really don't understand what ingredient is doing this but I know without a doubt that this product was the source of my breakout since I tried to use it several times, would have problems, briefly quit, and then use it again only to have the exact same thing happen over and over again while I stayed in denial. I have also had a problem with another of their liquid products I bought the same day so quite a bit of money in my trash can to learn this lesson. Nars will continue to deny this is happening but the reviews on here are evidence enough.
Now I'm only buying from companies with customer favoring return policies. To spend hundreds of dollars only to be told, tough luck and "n-uh it's fine" is one sure way to lose my business forever.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/28/2014 1:02:00 AM More reviews by rayayaya99

Good foundation if you have perfect skin. Not so much if you are combination, it makes my nose super oily and clings to my dry patches. If you have dry flaky skin this will MASSIVELY empasize your dryness.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2014 6:00:00 PM More reviews by LivviB

I have always used estee lauder double wear in the colour sand purley because it stays on and you do not need to worry about applying it through out the day and changing this foundation was a big problem for me as I could never find anything that would stay on my face and is as trustworthy as the double wear is, but I was starting to find the double wear way to heavy on my skin and I wanted something lighter and that stayed on for the same amount of time. I have normal skin. Sometimes it can be dry and sometimes it can be oily and I started using this foundation after reading up about it online etc and I can honestly say that 100% better than double wear and I would reccomend this foundation to anyone! When applying with a large full circular brush it blends into the skin really well and a little bit goes a long way, It looks fresh and radient on the face and leaves a flawless finish. When I use a good setting powder after applying this foundation stays on all day . I really really love this foundation and I am now totally converted to Nars!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/21/2014 1:42:00 PM More reviews by kennymoron

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I like the idea of "light everyday foundation" but at the end I never wear foundation everyday. I only wear it on special occasions because I find foundation "too high maintenance" for everyday use (melt of at the end of the day, transfers to my clothes, rubs off when I accidentally touch my face, look too "made up", etc.).

However, I find the key to natural foundation is great finish and color match. This foundation have a satin finish that I love but the no shade match me 100%. Currently, the closest match for me is "Barcelona", described as "deeper medium with golden peachy undertones" from Sephora.com and although it seems like a good match for me it is a bit too pink for my skin. I wish they have Stromboli in a darker shade because Stromboli undertone match my skin perfectly.

I would give this 4 stars if they have an exact match for my skin. I also hate the fact that I need to buy a separate pump for $6 when the foundation itself already cost me $42. Come on NARS! don't be so cheap! Other than the shade selections and packaging, this foundation is great for those who wants medium coverage (definitely not a sheer one). It'll even out your skin tone and cover some imperfections. It doesn't break me out, it is easy to use, blend, and it looks like skin. Lucky you if you the shade selections matches your skintone.

Will not repurchase afterwards because I'm still on the hunt for an HG foundation for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/21/2014 4:23:00 AM More reviews by chantel1995

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Hmmm, I am still umming and ahhhing over this product!

I love it in winter (punjab) but In summer (barcelona) it seems to separate :(

I use it for nights out, (applied with a damp RT sponge) and it seems to look lovely!

But for day-to-day, I shall be sticking to my trusty Nars tinted moisturizer!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2014 2:48:00 AM More reviews by upinspace

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got this in the color Mont Blanc (though slightly wish I got Siberia, but alas out of stock). I really love how buildable this foundation is. It doesn't accentuate dry spots. I've found it to last a good amount of time, definitely long enough to get through school. Its easy to spread and blend and all that. I bought it to replace my MUFE HD (love it, wanted to try something new) and I actually enjoy it more.

Except it's kinda of disappointing it doesn't have a pump...

UPDATE: Ever since using this, for whatever reason my skin has drastically improved. I haven't gotten a pimple in a looong time now. Weird, but I thought I'd write it here for anyone acne prone.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/17/2014 1:46:00 AM More reviews by sarahkneller7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This foundation is not sheer, it's not glowy, and I would not recommend it to a dry skin at all.
I must mention that I have not only tried this product on myself - I work in a cosmetics store so I am putting this on people every day.
The reason I have given it two stars instead of one is purely because of the colour range - it is great for a darker skin tone, and I HAVE managed to get it to look beautiful on Indian girls, who already have perfect smooth skin anyway.
Anyone with fair to medium skin, unless you are quite oily, this foundation will not look good on you. It clings to the skin, separates after about half an hour, and looks cakey and unnatural.
If you are looking for a beautiful foundation, go for the nars tinted moisturiser.