NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-butyldimethicone Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methyl-Hydantoin-2-imide, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polysilicone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Glucosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocopherol, [may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, iron oxides]

on 5/17/2015 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

NARS Sheer Glow was hands down the best foundation I've ever worn.

"Was" is the key word and it kills me to write that.

For neutral-to-yellow undertoned girls, NARS is killing it in offerings and is pretty extensive for pale folk to POCs. It's yellow without being orange and looks like actual skin colors. It is a comfortable foundation with medium coverage right out the get go (why it calls itself "sheer," I'll never know), but it gives luminosity without greasiness, and that is such a hard tightline to walk. It also doesn't contain SPF, which is great for photography.

So, why three stars? There's several reasons.

1. This foundation doesn't come with a pump, as you probably already know. For anything over $25, I expect you are going to put a pump on it or some kind of way to avoid allowing bacteria in and make it easy to dispense without having to potentially lose extra product. The pump through NARS is about an additional $6 USD, which brings the total up to $48 USD for the entire thing.

2. This foundation broke me out, badly. I didn't want to believe it, but this foundation gave me the worst and most painful break-outs I've ever had. I experimented with my skincare regime, different products, but it always came back to one constant thing: any time I would wear this foundation more than two days in a row, I'd always have a constellation of zits along my chin and eventually cheeks if I continued. After not wearing this product, my break-outs stopped and eventually went away. Sigh.

3. For someone with dry skin like myself, it can veer on the side of drying. During spring/summer/fall, it's not a big deal, but this product does require extra moisturization in the winter.

So, as much as I loved this foundation, it's clearly not for me, but hopefully it does work for you!

Pros:

- Luminous without being greasy
- No SPF (great for photography; also most foundations don't include enough SPF to offer coverage anyways)
- Wide variety of shades available
- Great for neutral-to-yellow undertones without looking orange
- Medium coverage but doesn't feel heavy
- NARS does not do animal testing nor do any of their suppliers do it on their behalf (per http://www.narscosmetics.com/USA/customer-care.html#animaltesting)

Cons:

- Not good for sensitive skin
- Not sheer (for me, this is a good thing, but the name is misleading for those looking for lower coverage)
- Have to buy pump separately for an additional $6
- Can be drying
- Pink undertoned ladies may struggle to find options

on 5/17/2015 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Why do they call this stuff "Sheer" glow? The coverage is not sheer, when you apply this with a foundation brush even one light coat gives decent coverage, and it lasts very well too. The shade "siberia" is so beautiful and flattering, really porcelain-y. The best part is that it's non-comedogenic so in my time of using it my skin has actually cleared up a lot. HG status.

on 5/16/2015 10:26:00 PM

I really don't like this product. It made my face look like a cake

on 5/16/2015 2:34:00 AM

I do like the finish of this foundation , but all the shades pull yellow really bad. The lighting at sephora was much more flattering, but when i got home under truer lighting I looked like I had jaundice! Unfortntly, it seemed most their shades were geared a little more towards the yellowy tones. But besides that, really nice fresh glowy finish.

on 5/14/2015 3:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Finally a foundation that matches my skin tone!!!! i've tried a lot of asian brands and they are too light or yellow for me, I've tried a lot of drugstore (western brands) and they are too pink or orange. The Sheer Glow is perfect. It's buildable as well so i usually apply a thin layer at the start to even out my skin tone, then go on a second layer on my acne or scars to make the coverage a little higher. It is quite long lasting, I can still find most of the product on my face after an 8 hour shift without any touch ups. the only problem is the packaging, why do i need to buy a pump separately?! and even if the counter lady says i can reuse the pump, how do i clean it before i use in another bottle so the old product won't contaminate the new?? silly silly design.
WIll i repurchase? not sure. It take a long time to go through one foundation bottle (or sometimes you never finish one bottle) and when i do finish it something better might be invented by then, who knows?

on 5/13/2015 11:27:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I had this in Mont blanc, which is a very fair shade.

I have heard loads of warnings about it breaking people out, but on my dry skin that didn't happen at all. Instead, it seemed like an improvement to the foundation I was using before.

Although its called sheer glow, it is neither sheer nor particularly glowing. It gives a very heavy coverage, and manages to look rather skin like in a matte way. A little goes a long way, so a bottle lasts me a long time.

Its lasting power is great on my skin, it always seem to look as good when I get home after 8-9 hours in school. However, it requires a good cleanser to remove properly.

The only things I think it fails on is the lack of sun screen and the packaging. There is no reason why you should need to pay for a separate pump at this price. Apart from that, I can overlook it and use separate sun screen.

on 5/10/2015 9:42:00 AM

They matched me to Punjab (medium 1), however, I found it too peachy and dark for my NC23 skin, which is light with a bit of yellow undertone. It is too late to return, so I have to keep it. Anyways, I decided to go out and pick up Ceylan (Light 6) which I find is the perfect match for myself. Note: The colour order is a bit odd as Light 5 is darker than Light 6. I am very glad that I purchased another one as it really gives my skin a very natural and beautiful glow, where I can get away without setting it with a powder in spring time as I am a dry to normal skin but sometimes combination. The coverage is medium, buildable and it feels light weight at least not heavy at all. and it lasts all day for me, it is just absolutely gorgeous. I just love this foundation.

Not the right foundation for me, unfortunately...

On the plus side, I found the coverage to be really good and the lasting-power excellent. The shade 'Mont Blanc' was a great match for my cool MAC NW15 skin tone. I also found it easy and smooth to apply.

However, I am sure that something in this foundation breaks me out in lumpy spots :-( I stopped using it for a while and my skin definitely improved, then I tried it again and sure enough the spots appeared.

I found this could sometimes cling a little to drier patches on my face, nothing major but a bit visible nevertheless. I definitely had to load more moisturiser on when I used this foundation. Also, NARS states this is a 'glowing, natural radiant finish foundation', but I found it rather matte looking on me which wasn't really what I wanted.

I would like to start of by saying that I have purchased this product twice. The reason being is that the shade (Ceylan) is a very close match to my skin tone, which is really hard for me to find. I'm about Nc20 ( it's slightly orange on me) Ceylan is more yellowy/neutral tone which is why I like it. It also has my ideal coverage ( I'd considerate medium) It covers some light scarring. Although it says sheer glow, this is more of a demi matte finish on me. There is no SPF so it it isn't convenient for everyday use. (Need to put SPF on) But it will photograph well.

Unfortunately, this stuff looks absolutely horrible on my dry skin. Although this is an oil based foundation, this takes the moisture right out of my skin once it sets in. If you have pretty dry skin, I definitely wouldn't go for it. Also the lasting power on this stuff isn't very long. Maybe a few hours and that's it. I'm pretty sure this is the culprit to some spot breakouts. This is one of those expensive overly hyped products. I've found cheaper foundations that work much better then this one.

Will I repurchase?

on 5/6/2015 11:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I have combination skin: t-zone gets oily later in the day, dry to normal skin on my chin and cheeks.

Staying power: Nothing special, I have tried it with primer, powder and also urban decay all nighter setting spray and after 3-4 hours if I touch my face it comes off easily.

Color selection: pretty decent, I have warm undertones so there is a variety of cool to warm undertones available.

Coverage: very blendable medium but buildable. I use a beautyblender for lighter coverage and a brush for a heavier coverage

Packaging: Poor, no pump

Overall the foundation looks nice on the skin, there is a little bit of luminousity but after I put a setting powder on you could not tell there is any at all. Would not purchase again as I like a foundation that has a long staying powder since I put my makeup on at 7am and don't take it off unti 10pm.

Video Reviews & Tutorials