De La Cruz 10% Sulfur Ointment

Price: $

Price: $

10% sulfur and a mix of polyethylene glycols

on 10/14/2012 2:37:00 PM

I was initially a little skeptical about this product, as I had never heard of it before, but my skin looked like crap and I had tried everything else, so I figured I had nothing to lose. I'm so glad I suspended my disbelief, because this product is frickin' sweet. I sorta deviate from the package instructions; I believe it says to use this as a spot treatment and wash off the ointment after 10 minutes or something, but I take a small amount and rub it all over my face before bed. My issue these days isn't pimples as much as it is just little clogged pores all over my cheeks, and I find that a little bit of this goes a good job of keeping them under control. Yes, unfortunately this product does, in fact, smell like sulfur, and that stank will linger on your face for a while, but it's a small price to pay, if you ask me.

on 10/3/2012 11:59:00 AM

Are you kidding me?!! Why did I not find this stuff sooner?! I use it as a spot treament and it works very quickly to clear up blemishes. You only need just a small amount. Do be careful as it will dry you out if you use it too often and unless it is neccessary, I would not reccomend applying this over a large area because, again, it will dry your skin. However, I have found a small amount as a spot treament, left on over night works wonders! My skin care routine is now this: Dr. Bronners "baby mild soap" to wash my face only at night, about two drops of jojoba oil gently massaged onto my face and De La Cruz 10% sulfur ointment to spot treat. In the morning I only rinse my face with water. I am now really liking the way my skin has been looking!

on 10/2/2012 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I was on BCP for about 6 years and decided to go off of it. After about 5 months my skin started to get really oily and I was breaking out like crazy. I have always had really sensitive skin that's prone to rashes, breakouts, redness, and dryness. Moisturizers are out of the question since I have found they all seem to do more damage than good... especially those with glycerine. Masks tend to dry me out too much and leave my skin itchy. HOWEVER! This mask is a m a z i n g. There are only 2 ingredients, and the mask is unlike most. It doesn't dry hard, it stays moist. The consistency is like Vaseline. I was worried at first that it would be really difficult to wash off, but it was incredibly easy! It leave no residue, rinses easily, and doesn't dry my skin out. This mask is my go to for all things problematic :)

Word of advice... This is not to be left on overnight, the directions say 10 mins. It's not a moisturizer either.

on 9/15/2012 4:03:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I've used this ointment many, many times over the course of 2 years now. Sulfur can seem gentle at first yet can be very effective for all kinds of acne to include cysts, blackheads and whiteheads. It can, over time, be very drying, so you'll have to be patient and careful to not overuse. I don't think it works on discoloration marks but it definitely helps skin from forming new lesions. Sulfur works by inhibiting the growth of bacteria, drying existing acne and bringing pustules to the surface. Because of this, you may experience "purging" but I've found purged type pimples go away quickly.

The directions say to wash your face, apply a light coat to the affected area and leave on for 10 minutes then wash off with water. It says you can start with 1 application and work up to 2-3 daily applications but I would stick to 2 applications daily, maximum, and only if you're having a bad breakout as this can be very drying if used more frequently. I like to follow-up use with benzoyl peroxide, if used at night or a moisturizer, if used during the day.

Overall, a great MUA find but I don't really use this anymore since using Paula's Choice CLEAR system. This ointment is really cheap and can be effective as a spot treatment; I'd urge anyone to give it a try.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I purchased this product today and have used it. Seems easy on my skin. However, from the reviews it seems as if those who are complaining about it being oily, heavy, or drying are leaving the ointment on for too long. The instructions say to WASH OFF after 10 mins. I just want to say, everyone may experience different results when using the product so DO NOT BELIEVE ALL OF WHAT YOU READ. Do your research before you buy. Will update as I continue to use the product. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL.

on 8/8/2012 12:50:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Sulfur is one thing I hadn't tried prior to this week for my acne issues.

Background: I have very clog-prone skin with breakouts typically centered around the TOTM. I was (disastrously) experimenting with a milder cleanser for the last 2 months and my skin broke out horribly these past two weeks. The heat wave and my lack of air conditioning have not helped one bit.

This cream (applied at night, after cleansing, toning, and moisturizing), dried up some old zits that absolutely nothing took away. It brought an old cystic knot that was festering on my cheek to a head, but the pimple itself went away in 48 hours. The shocking and amazing thing about this product is that it works on blackheads. It hasn't worked so far on some extremely deeply lodged clogs but I don't think anything is going to work on those!

The texture is thick and gummy but this really does work.

This is another one of those hidden gem products that I would have never known about were it not for MUA! I use this 2-3x a week, and I leave it on for half an hour to an hour depending on when I get around to washing it off. I would NOT recommend sleeping in this, it's pretty harsh for overnight use if your skin is at all sensitive, and the texture and consistency is like slightly gritty honey. Also it doesn't dry, so unless you sleep on your back the whole night through you're going to ruin your pillows. I like that it has a bit of scrubbiness to it, IMO it's enough for manual facial exfoliation so you could get rid of your other face scrubs. I use this in conjunction with sulfur face soap as part of my routine, and as long as I stay consistent in my use my face stays pretty clear. Another tip: Use this at night so you won't have a rotten egg smelling face all day (other people WILL smell it, even after washing off lol), by the time you wash your face again in the a.m. the smell will be gone :)

on 6/19/2012 4:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

i have sensitive, cystic acne prone skin. oily t-zone, dry cheeks.

this is my emergency go-to ointment when i see a new blemish forming. it works most of the time by immediately shrinking it, or by helping it clear faster if the blemish continues to form.

this ointment does have a strong sulfur smell. when i first started using it a few months ago i kept looking around wondering where that rotten fart smell was coming from and i blamed my bf LOL then i realized it was my face. not cute lol.

i used it all over my face which was a bad idea. don't use it on areas where you don't need it. seems like common sense but i thought if i put it all over my face everyday 2x a day then maybe it would prevent blemishes forever. dumb.

it really dried out my face, i looked like i had aged 30years in a week because my skin was dry and wrinkled and crusty then i started breaking out even more and peeling. i was freaking out. its hilarious now but it was not cool when it happened.

it took me 3 months to undo the damage. so be careful when using this product because it is very strong.

also, the jar is not hygienic, i decanted it into a bottle. i plan to decant it into a vacuum pump bottle soon.

I've only been using this product for three days, so watch out for my future edits & updates.

De La Cruz Sulfur Ointment has been on my wishlist for about a year now. It seems to be a secret miracle product for many, with many natural, scientifically proven, ingredients.

However none of my local Walgreens ever carry it, & I'm reluctant to order online. Thanks to MUA I learned last week that my dreaded Walmart carries it! Isearched my local one like a hawk & found it not in the skincare aisle, but next to the lotions. Walmart sells it for very cheap at the moment ($3.50, vs the $6 I would have spent at Walgreens).

Anyways, I swiftly bought one & brought it home that afternoon to try. Everyone says you can't wear this under make up yet I thought I could be sly & get away with it. NOPE. This stuff has the consistency of dollar store toothpaste meets vaseline. I also thought everyone was nitpicking & exaggerating about the texture. Once again...NOPE. De La Cruz Sulfur Ointment truely is uncomfortable to wear. Your face will feel gross & sticky, with pores unable to breathe, until you wash this off. I apply before going to bed & hate the feel of it against my pillows.

With all that being said, so far this Sulfur ointment has lived up to all my expectations! The ingredients in it are a lot more natural & less harmful than my ex HG benzoyl peroxide cream. Sulur absorbs all oil my pores exude overnight then it further cleans them out & tightens. My skin is left feeling fresh, clear, & OIL FREE. Which is a miracle for my SUPER oily, acne prone skin. I'm not terrified of the TX summer weather that's a few months away because I know this will do the trick. Last year it was so hot & humid here the only thing that helped a TINY BIT was to coat my skin in baby powder. NOT THIS TIME! I am prepared. ;P I will update soon.

-------------

Update: I'm still loving this product. It has a lot of sulfur so it might make your face a little bit red & it did make my skin peel. Those cons are soooo worth the outcome though. This stuff has helped my acne clear up.

on 4/7/2012 1:07:00 PM

For reference, I have sensitive combo/dry clog prone skin, seemingly random breakouts (1 - 3 blemishes) every now and then. I've literally trashed all my other emergency treatments and will never ever be without this tagain; stops breakouts dead in their tracks for me. Purchased at Walmart for around $4, comes in a plastic wide mouth screw top container. Ointment is a sticky, yellow 10% sulfur scented cream, texture makes it appropriate for night use only. I dip a clean q-tip in to put a superthin layer on any rising blemishes, and and they tend to disappear before they ever really come up. Surprisingly this works on all breakouts (blachkeads aside) from the usual TOTM to the the random deep cystic. Only word of warning is that this can dry your skin and make it flakey if you use it more than 1x/day. Overall, great find.

Popular Treatments (Face)