November 21, 2014 | 1666 users online

Other - Zinc

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2010 2:36:00 PM More reviews by rossjen

I bought a cheap bottle of zinc supplements from Target to try. For the most part, I do not suffer from acne with the exception of hormonal breakouts along my jawline.
Bottom line: These worked for me, but I have to preface that I am pretty bad about taking any sort of supplements. I'm not very consistent with them, and find them a hassle generally. Now if I could find a liquid formula, I'd be much more interested in taking supplements, but I digress. However, when I was consistent in taking one of these daily, there was literally no breakout in sight. Also, heed the warnings here about eating a full meal before taking zinc, or stomach cramping and nauseous feelings will ensue.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2010 4:11:00 PM More reviews by ruthw76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Wow! This is amazing and cost me $4 for a bottle that will last two months! My 30+ yr. old skin has a really oily T-zone, some red areas, and I get the occasional pimple with more breakouts around my period. I have been taking zinc (50 mg) for two weeks now, one pill a day after my evening meal (you will get sick if you don't take it with food) and I am much less oily and my skin is clearing dramatically! By that I mean the tone and texture is much smoother and more even. The redness is fading and my skin feels firmer. I have not changed anything else in my routine - I wash my face in the morning and at night with a little Dr.Bronners peppermint castille soap and I don't use moisturizer except in the dead of winter. For the first week I did have some kind of purging process around my nose (extra breakouts) but that cleared up quickly and I honestly feel like my skin is glowing and that gives me the kind of confidence you can't put a price tag on!!! Everyone should use this if you have any kind of skin/acne issues - zinc helps your body heal itself and I can see that every time I look in the mirror. You should already be taking a multi-vitamin, definitely add this to your regimen. Just be sure to take it with food or you will have stomach cramps. It is so cheap I challenge anyone to try it for a month and see how much it improves their skin!!!!!!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2010 5:08:00 AM More reviews by amy212

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

THis review is for using zinc topically, ie zinc oxide on acne and other skin issues. This works great on both oily and dry spots. It evens evens out everything, making areas less oily or less dry. It also take the red out of pimples and makes them a lot less angry. I use zinc in a lot of soothing diaper cremes on my face. I love badger diaper cream, it also contains camomile. Very soothing and smells really pretty. Love it. I use it mainly for dry areas and acne. If oily skin, it may not work as well as other zinc products, I don't know.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2010 3:45:00 PM More reviews by tareess33

anyone who suffers from any acne should try taking zinc. i took natures cure for many years but it didnt help as much as i wanted it too- so i took zinc and the next day you can see a difference. i try not to take it everyday so i dont get used to it, but i think it works great! i also eat a lot of carrots! everyday that i eat carrots my skin seems clearer! i hope i dont get jinxed now but everyone should try these easy steps if you have acne.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2010 8:17:00 PM More reviews by evarose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

WOW, everyone needs to know about Zinc's effect on acne... it WILL clear your skin! I started taking 50mg of generic (CVS brand or whatever) Zinc about a month ago. The first week, my forehead broke out in a disgusting way. At the same time I started drinking much more water again in attempts of beautiful skin, so I believe my skin was having a "purge". I almost stopped taking the zinc because I thought I might be having an unfortunate reaction to it. But I stuck with it, and I'm very happy. My skin has improved tone and texture and a much improved case of the oilies. I take 50mg once a day, every day. Take with food or it will make you slightly nauseous. My skin is continuing to improve every week. I will never stop taking zinc as long as it has this AMAZING effect on my skin... and for so cheap!! Ah, love it :-) And it's good for your immunne system people.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2010 3:12:00 PM More reviews by allmydays

I've been on Retin A Micro and Differin for years and have gotten maybe 85% clear - which is a major improvement for me. However, it wasn't until I started taking a 50mg a day zinc supplement that I've become 100% CLEAR. As in, no oiliness (my skin is now combination as opposed to oily), no breakouts, fewer blackheads.

The biggest improvement I've seen is in my monthly hormonal breakouts on my chin and cheeks, and also the complete clearing of my cystic acne.

I take 50mg (you can also try 25mg) with a meal - your stomach must adjust to the supplement gradually. I've tried both and did not notice too significant differences between zinc gluconate and chelated zinc but you can try both and see which works better for you!

Bottom line is zinc has changed my complexion in ways no prescription product, OTC topical or any other product has. I would highly urge those with stubborn acne to try it!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2010 11:40:00 AM More reviews by caroline7502

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This has been a godsend for me. I've always had troubling cystic acne on my chin. I've never been too keen on taking BCP because of side effects and whatnot. So, I just decided to deal with my hormonal chin acne. But it was more than just a breakout around my time of the month. It was all the time! When one cystic-huge-mother would go away, another would come up. They were all on my chin and lower cheek/jawline. I tried changing my diet, since cystic acne is usually an internal problem, but that didn't work either.

Then one day on the skin care board, I saw someone mention zinc for chin acne. I did a lot of research on other boards and acne.org reviews on zinc, and it seemed to work for most people. I thought hey, why not? I swiped up a bottle of Zinc Gluconate 50mg for under $5, and started taking one daily. I was worried about my multivitamin containing 15mg of zinc as well, but when I run out of this bottle I'm going to go out and find a 30mg supplement so I don't have to worry about overdosing. My multi also has copper, which I think is sufficient enough for me to not have low levels. Definitely take your multi at a different time of day than the zinc. The copper and other minerals in it can compete for absorption. I've also *heard* that it's better to take the zinc an hour before you eat or 2 hours after (for better absorption as well). I try to take mine a few hours after dinner. It doesn't really bother my stomach...and I have a weak one. I remember once or twice I felt like I might puke but never did, and the feeling went away in less than 5 minutes.

I am NOT joking when I say I saw immediate results. I didn't get another cystic pimple after I started taking these for at least 3 weeks. This is huge for me, considering I usually would get 2-3 new cystics a week! Then my time of the month came, I had a small breakout (1 cystic), and then continued to look great after that. Any other small pimples I get (probably from products) heal very quickly. My skin also seems less oily. It's amazing.

I've been taking them now almost 3 months. I haven't gotten any new cystic pimples since the last one I mentioned (even during my cycle). I've also incorporated 4000IU of vitamin D3 per day for my acne as well. This has helped a lot, too. I highly recommend this (and D3) to anyone that suffers from the type of cystic chin/jawline acne that I used to have.

(update 2/3/13) I still take 30mg of zinc every single day. Please don't let people worry you into thinking you can easily get zinc poisoning. Just make sure you take a multivitamin containing copper too—at different parts of the day.

19 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2009 9:20:00 PM More reviews by stargazer_lily

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been taking 50mg of chelated zinc for nearly a month now and I am honestly shocked at the difference this has made in my skin. I have (sorry - I should say HAD) the most stubborn acne ever. I've been suffering from acne since my late teens and I am now 35. My acne is cystic and appears in my chin and upper lip area with frustrating regularity - it was not uncommon for me to break out weekly. I have tried lots of things for my acne over the years but recently I have been more interested in natural therapies. I've tried several supplements including Vitex and Saw Palmetto and whilst some have had excellent health benefits, they have not cleared my acne. I am not sure why it has taken me so long to try zinc. I think I must have tried it once as part of a multi-vitamin and not seen results... I now realise the dose would have been too low in a multi.

I am taking Blackmores Bio Zinc which is a premium Australian vitamin brand. I am taking 2 tablets per day to get 50mg of zinc. It is important to take your zinc with a meal (preferably your largest meal of the day) and choose chelated zinc - these strategies should hopefully avoid any stomach ache which is a common side effect. I consider myself to have a delicate stomach and as long as I take my zinc after dinner, I have no problems at all. I saw results with my acne within 2 weeks and have also noticed a slight decrease in sebum production. I am thrilled!

There is concern over copper deficiency when taking extra zinc. This is because zinc interferes with copper absorption. I asked a naturopath at Blackmores' website about this issue and she advised me that people should take an additional copper supplement when exceeding more than 50mg of zinc per day. Alternatively, natural sources of copper include shell fish, liver and kidneys, whole grains and, reportedly dark chocolate (yay!). (See: http://www.abc.net.au/health/minutes/stories/2007/06/20/1955070.htm )

For reference, here are the active ingredients per tablet in Blackmores Bio Zinc:
Zinc amino acid chelate (equiv. to Zinc 25 mg)-----------------125 mg
Magnesium phosphate (equiv. to Magnesium 25 mg)-----------------122 mg
Manganese amino acid chelate (equiv. to Manganese 2 mg)-----------------20 mg
Vitamin A (Retinyl acetate 860 µg)-----------------2500 IU
Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine hydrochloride)-----------------50 mg

continued >>

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2009 1:48:00 AM More reviews by adventurous

Well, I can say that my acne has disappeared completely since I started taking zinc (50mg/day) two weeks ago. I have suffered from hormonal acne for about 10 years (since I was 13). I know that it is hormonal acne because when I was only birth control pills for two years, my skin was very clear and I wasn't even diligent with my skin care routine and still had beautiful skin. I switched to an IUD for many reasons, but the lack of hormones meant my acne came back full force (the only downside to quitting HBC). I have been struggling for a year now to regain control. I have tried BP gel, which did work for a long while, but over time I had to use more and more to keep the results. My skin was drying out and becoming more sensitive to the sun. Plus, I was not happy with the idea that BP causes premature aging. I then tried Apple Cider Vinegar, applied topically. It worked pretty well. I was still getting pimples, but not as often, and they weren't as large. Unfortunately, my boyfriend put his foot down. He said after many weeks that he couldn't stand the smell anymore and that he could smell it on me all day. With some reluctance, I quit, fearing that my acne would come back.

Flash forward to now. I decided to give Zinc supplements a try. I have been on 50mg daily. They have changed my life. My skin is completely clear, and my boyfriend has mentioned several times how radiant it looks. Red marks from recent breakouts are fading very quickly (as Zinc helps wounds heal) and I also feel great about the increased immune function which will hopefully prevent me from getting suck during flu season.

I just bought 30mg supplements, and after two more weeks of being on the 50mg, I will move down to 30mg and hope that the results stick. If that works, I will continue to move down, to possibly only 15-20mg a day. I'll give an updates as I switch doses. The less Zinc I can take daily, the better.

A FEW WORDS ON TAKING ZINC...
1. It will make you a bit queasy if you take it on an empty stomach. Make sure you take it right after a meal to prevent that. I also like to take it with Kefir, not water. I don't know why but that helps prevent me from feeling sick. Probably because Kefir is thick and fills you up, and also helps along digestion.
2. DO NOT TAKE OVER 50mg/day. Remember to factor in any Zinc you are getting from a multi-vitamin or other supplements you may be taking. Too much zinc can be toxic. It's recommended that after the initial higher doses of 50mg, you move to a lower dose over time.
3. Copper, another essential mineral for you body, competes with Zinc. Please take a copper supplement SEPARATELY (approx 12 hours later) of 2mg. This means if you take your Zinc supplement with breakfast, take your Copper supplement with dinner, or vice versa.

As with all supplemental regimens, please check with your doctor before starting. I hope this information helps, and I hope that Zinc works for you. Good luck!

31 out of 33 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2009 8:52:00 PM More reviews by ET3638

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I did some research on Zinc as an acne treatment. I didn't believe that zinc would do anything for acne. I always thought that having to much zinc in your body will actually cause you to break out. Boy was I wrong! After doing adequate research, I came to realize that there were a lot of people taking zinc to help out with their acne. I bought a bottle of zinc (50 mg) and started taking it. I didn't really see results like right away. But it's been about a week now and my acne has DEFINATELY improved. My face is so clear and so radiant. I use this in conjunction with Neostrata glycolic products and it has done wonders for me. I will definately repurchase.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No