August 21, 2014 | 1549 users online

Treatments (Face) - manuka honey

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2011 12:59:00 AM More reviews by rach2111

I've only owned this product for an hour and already love it - put it on an inflamed spot when I got home and it has already reduced the swelling and the redness. I'm in New Zealand so 250g of UMF 12+ was $17.50 and as a mask and a spot treatment I imagine it will last a while. Would be even better if someone could produce this in a plastic tube to keep in nice and sterile :-)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2011 4:16:00 PM More reviews by TiffD

Yes, manuka honey is a lot more expensive than regular honey but I would say that it is definitely worth the $30+. Obviously if you're allergic to honey or have very sensitive skin you should do a spot test first before you lather it on your face but here are some benefits I have noticed from using it only four times (30 minutes per mask):

- lightened acne scars
- smoother, more bright skin
- no more outbreaks of acne
- any stubborn acne I did have dried up and disappeared

Since I leave this on for about 30 minutes it does make my skin a little more dry than it usually is so I make sure to put on a bit more moisturizer after each mask.

I'm so happy I decided to finally dish out money on a product that works and is natural! I'm definitely going to be buying this for many years to come. One jar will last a couple of months because you don't need to use a lot of honey per mask.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2011 8:40:00 PM More reviews by 5catmom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

After reading about the benefits of honey on MUA, I tried local raw honey with modest results. It softened my dehydrated skin. I then bought Honey New Zealand's Bioactive 15+ Manuka Honey and got great results. I use it as a mask after cleansing and my skin has never been better moisturized -- and I've tried multiple expensive products including Zia, Kiehl's, MD Forte, Elta. This honey also lightened my acne scars as well as helped my daughter's mouth sores heal faster. It calms my skin after exfoliating or deep cleansing. The texture of Manuka is thicker/creamier than other honeys, and the taste/smell is a bit herbal/woodsy, just delicious really. I wish I had found this in my teens!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2011 12:12:00 PM More reviews by wiresinhisheart

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

what i wonderful product. i use UMF 20+ manuka honey in facemasks to brighten my skin up, and overnight on any pimples, cysts or cuts i may have on my skin. i am mixed race (white/black) and my skin scars easily even if i dont pick, and manuka honey smeared on any wounds i have really helps fight against scarring and redness for me. it is also great for bringing deep pimples (not cysts) to a head if left on over night. i just cant sing the praises of manuka honey enough.
this also helps shrink cysts dramatically for me. i had quite a painful cyst near my ear and after leaving manuka honey on it over night it had decreased in size by about 1/3.

honey is a humectant, so if you live in very dry areas (or use central heating at home) the honey can actually draw moisture from your skin, making it drier. this may be why the honey does not work for some people.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2011 7:00:00 PM More reviews by yyip

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm using Manuka Honey UMF 20+ to heal a laser cosmetic tattoo removal burn and it is helping it heal very very quickly. There is no scab as is normally expected for these type of superficial laser burns. I just put a blob on to cover the wound site day and night - doesn't look great but it's worth it to make sure I'm healing quickly without scarring. I have asian skin so scarring is usually an issue. I live in New Zealand and am lucky enough to be able to get access to a range of different Manuka Honey brands at reasonable cost. I suggest that for those of you who are finding price an issue that you check out these sites for the best value product:
and http://www.honey.co.nz.
I use this as a mask after a AHA face peel as well to help speed up recovery.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2011 5:05:00 PM More reviews by bennodalove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

I use 15+ Manuka Honey from Sainsbury's and love it. Honey really is a staple in my collection....I use it as a mask, a face wash,spot treatment, in my oatmeal, on toast. My main method of use is as a cleanser. I wet my face, apply a teaspoon of honey on and rub in for 1 min. My honey is crystallized, so I get a gentle exfoliation at the same time (great for me as I don't have to use exfoliators anymore). I then leave it on my face whilst I go in the shower and wash, then add a little more water to my face and rub in, get my Dove beauty soap and apply that on top, rub it in for another minute and rinse it all off. After rinsing my face is left ridiculously soft and smooth, hydrated, plump...and any blemishes I have are reduced in size and redness the next day. My skin is calm and not irritated. and the pores on my nose look slightly smaller. I use honey as a cleanser once a day and the improvement in my skin is so noticeable. I don't get any dryness or flakiness anymore (great for this cold British weather right now as before when I would apply foundation in the mornings, I'd look like a hot flakey mess!) and don't break out as much either. I use it as a proper facial mask once a month or so (I apply on damp skin and leave on for 3 hours or so) and that works amazingly aswell. It's natural, edible (I always have fun licking my lips when I'm using honey hee hee) and works. I'll definately be using this for years to come.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/6/2010 1:45:00 PM More reviews by jadengai

I have rosacea, combination skin. I have been fighting this rosacea thing for a year. My worst moments are fire-flaring skin, burning, full of papules and my skin is rough like bark, dry like desert. I saw a clip of using manuka honey on the net, so I figure what da heck, give it a try.

I used Comvita UMF 15+ manuka honey. The first time after used, i could feel the difference between using a chemical-made cleansing milk and a natural product. my face first time ever felt not drying or oily, as you know the drier your skin, the more oil your skin produce. face wasn't red or burning, just quite calm. That's a huge progress for rosacea skin.

I will splash warm water on my face, massage the honey into my skin, about half tsp, for 30 sec, then wash it away with warm water.

Gradually my skin got a lot smoother, BUT then after a few days of use, my chin started getting more and more papules, and the cheekbone area gets really red with bumpy and blotchy patches. And my face was burning again day to night.

I stopped using it and turned to washing my face with distilled water and the burning went away, but the red patches remains.

The clip I watched says M. honey is better for dry skin and raw organic honey is for acne-prone skin. I tried both and I do prefer the texture of manuka, not as drying for my skin. I am thinking that maybe UMF 15+ M.honey's anti-bacterial properties is too potent, thus have too much hydrogen peroxide that affects sensitive skin. I might change to a lower UMF like 5+ to see how it goes. research says that UMF5+ M.honey only has a maintenance level in antibacterial potency and is like a table honey. I tried normal pure table honey, it's really a big nono, red bumps appeared right after used. Pure table honey and UMF5+ manuka honey properly have similar level of hydro. peroxide, but UMF5+ will be a raw honey and is manuka.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2010 5:54:00 PM More reviews by illeyad

There are countless uses for Manuka Honey- it is definitely one of natures power foods, as it can treat a variety of conditions and illnesses either internally or externally. Research suggests that Manuka Honey particularly from New Zealand contains specific minerals and nutrients, and unparalleled anti bacterial properties not found in typical Manuka Honey (it usually has an amber colour). When buying Manuka honey, make sure to buy it in a UMF rating between 10-16, anything less then 10, means the honey is not active and anything over 16 may be too potent. Manuka is usually used to treat:

1. Wounds- it acts as a barrier and works to heal the skin faster as well as eliminate bacteria

2. Eye Infections (mix a tsp of honey into a 1 cup of luke warm water until dissolved) use eye dropper to place in eyes as needed.

3. Sinus Infections- mix 1 tsp of honey with 1 cup luke warm water, then place in neti pot to clear sinuses and kill bacteria, as well as sooth symptoms.

4. Ulcers/acid reflux- ingesting a tbs a day can heal ulcers, sooth throat from acid reflux, reduce pain, inflammation, aids in the healing process of ulcers, and is good for digestion.

5. Acne- idea for treating acne or any bacterial related inflammation to be taken internally and applied topically as it has anti bacterial, anti inflammatory, and healing properties.

6. All around excellent supplement and/or sweetener for tea.

Manuka Honey has 101 benefits for the body, however I would like to share my skin care secret with you. I would describe myself as having adult acne, mostly hormonal related, very sensitive skin (majority of products irritate my skin or cause me to break out). When I use Manuka Honey, my favourite way to use it (other then eating it, it's very good in tea) I apply it topically. However, when applied on it's own, it does feel very sticky, however I found that mixing it with aloe vera or your favourite moisturizer, resolves this problem.

My results: brighter, smoother skin. My acne is noticeably reduced (it prevents them as well as brings them to a head much faster) , redness is eliminated, irritation is minimal to none, and my overall complexion appears healthier.
Happy Shopping!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2010 8:51:00 AM More reviews by Espiegle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have been using manuka honey- a not very strong (100) one as "eyedrops". I have pinguecula, and I don't want it to get worse- I also have red eyes almost all the time,and I was a visine addict. I got an eye infection a few weeks ago, and I had been hearing about the miracles of honey and cinnamon, which I was using as a hair mask/lightener, but which can also be used for everything from arthritis to indigestion! Along the research way I found out about manuka, and went and bought a tiny pot of it for 5 euros. (tiny, tiny) I smudge my finger in it, and touch my eyeball. My eye infection went away in 2 days. Completely. I've kept using it, in the hope-against-hope that it will improve the appearance of the pinguecula...It burned insanely the first few times, but it's not so bad anymore. If I use it at night before bed, my eyes AREN'T RED IN THE MORNING. Unheard of for me. I also use it after the shower, or whenever my eyes feel tired- it makes your eyes tear, but it feels like a soothing wash for them, and I hear that it makes your eyelashes grow- it certainly makes them look pretty.
I plan to buy a stronger one and use it for my eyes, internally, and also for skin care- (I am pimple-around-the-chin-forehead-and-mouth-once-a-month-and-when-it-rains prone. Sigh.) will update

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2010 2:59:00 PM More reviews by javajunkie787

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i bought this after reading some reviews on the internet about the healing power of manuka honey. I have a bad problem w/ picking at my skin, often leaving me with cuts, scabs, etc. a few months ago i began putting regular honey w/ a bandaid on my cuts and noticed that it helped a lot w/ redness and speeding up healing (more than neosporin, polysporin, etc). so i figured Manuka would be even better.
the first few times i used this i did not really see any results. it is good for moisture and it is easier to use than regular honey b/c it is not as prone to dripping and running down your face. however, i did not see changes to my acne or cuts.
i think the problem was that i was too quick to wash the manuka off, or i wasnt covering the cut properly. my last experience w/ manuka honey was miraculous. i picked at my skin on a friday night and was left w a large cut that scabbed over the next morning. it looked absolutely awful but i continued to apply vaseline, polysporin, etc. all day saturday.
sunday morning it still looked awful so i decided to give the Manuka another try. i put a good amount on the cut, did not cover it, and just laid down for about 2 hours. after that i took a shower w/ warm water and my cut looked ALOT better - the redness was reduced a lot and the scab was clearly starting to flake off. i did not get my hopes up still - and i put more manuka on and hung out for another hour only. when i rubbed it off the entire scab came off leaving a pink mark that i can cover up much more easily. i was in shock. less than 48 hours to heal a scab? the manuka healed it in seriously 3-4 hours. it is really great for redness and something about the manuka honey helps a scab come off quickly.
i really recommend this for the chronic skin pickers out there. if you find yourself w a bad mark this is probably the fastest thing that will work. it has significant healing power.
i do not like the packaging b/c it is in a jar and its unsanitary. the price was about $25 which is expensive but i can tell it will last a LONG time b/c i only use a little bit. u just need a thin layer for a mask. the one i purchased was from the Vitamin Shoppe and was Active +15.
def will repurchase but ive had my first jar for a few months and its not even 1/3 of the way finished.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No