December 18, 2014 | 1779 users online

Treatments (Face) - manuka honey

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2011 11:08:00 PM More reviews by erika21

I've heard about the anti-bacterial and healing properties of manuka honey for quite a while. But it was only after a TV programme that showed the production / benefits of manuka honey, that I decided to buy it. The shop I went to had a wide range of manuka honey and the UMF level was not the only differentiating factor. There was active honey with the value but not UMF (e.g. Manuka honey active 16+). Apparently, this means that it is not certified by the UMF organisation but it claims to have the equivalent anti-bacterial property with that of manuka honey labeled as UMF 16+. Hence, it is slightly cheaper. I suppose the suppliers of such honey are smaller honey bees farms in New Zealand that do not want to spend additional money on its certification. Personally however, I would rather get something that is certified. At least it has been audited by the non-biased and objective organisation.

There is also raw active, premium active and premium raw active.
I decided to get the raw active as the SA recommended it since it is unfiltered and more of the goodness is retained in the honey. I did not get the premium raw active. It is a grade better than the raw active but it has a grainy texture that not many people may like if they intend to take the honey by itself.

I bought the raw honey UMF16+ as well as the UMF24+. I take the honey orally (2 teaspoons a day) and use it topically as well. I use the honey as a facial mask nearly every night. I take 1/2 a teaspoon of honey, massage it into my face and leave it on for about an hour before washing it off. I then continue with my usual skincare regime.

After the first use, I noticed that my skin tone appeared a little more even and looked more radiant. After continuous usage of about 2 weeks, there is more improvement in terms of skin tone. My pores are smaller and I have less white and blackheads on my nose. Recently, an incident totally convinced me of the healing/anti-inflammatory properties of the manuka honey.

I tried the stupid Love More Mask (it is one of the top selling masks in Taiwan) and had some kind of an allergic reaction. I must have been scratching at my face while sleeping without knowing it. Because when I woke up the next day, I noticed that my face was very red and felt very raw/sore at the slightest touch. I also noted that there were some very small "pimples" (with pus) randomly dispersed on my cheek areas. Actually I'm not sure it's pimples because it is entirely flat and is not painful at all, just itchy. Anyway, I had to go to work that day and had to look decent. So I applied the Shu Uemura Underbase Mousse in BB beige (limited edition) to help lighten the redness. I also applied a light dusting of loose powder with a powder puff. I did not dare go through my usual makeup regime and apply any foundation or concealer because I was afraid of irritating my already irritated skin any further. When I got home that day, i applied a thick layer of manuka honey on my face, more for the parts with the funny pimple like things and left it on for around 2 hours. When I washed it off, my skin was more calm, less red and some of the "pimples" disappeared. I did the super thick honey mask treatment for 3 days straight and there has been a huge improvement. The redness is nearly all gone and my injured parts from scratching dried up and has nearly finished peeling off. I'm going to continue with the honey treatment but will apply less since I no longer need so much. Besides, manuka honey is expensive in S'pore. The ones I bought cost $78 for 500g (UMF 16+) and $148 (UMF 24+). I have only used the UMF 16+ and will use the UMF 24+ once I have finished using the UMF 16+.

My conclusion: If you are not allergic to manuka honey (do a patch test if you are trying it for the first time), manuka honey is great as a basic facial mask for hydration/tightening of pores; to calm and heal irritated and inflammed skin as well as a good pimple treatment.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2011 7:20:00 AM More reviews by msmanetti

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased some manuka honey to treat some dermatitis and pimples. While it didn't seem to make a difference to the dermatitis spots on my face, boy did it ever for the pimples/acne. It took away the inflammation and healed them up quicker than anything else I have used. I love that it is natural and I don't need to put a chemical on my pimples. It is a little messy, but I am at home with kids so no one really sees me :). You don't need a lot, just a dab, and if one spot is really bad, put some on a band-aid and cover the spot with it overnight, by morning it will look much much better. A couple of weeks ago I had a cystic zit on my neck, one under the surface and I naughtily picked at it till it was out, but it looked terrible. I put some Manuka on it for a 24 hour period and when I took the bandaid off it was almost gone. It was amazing. So now, Manuka honey goes on everything, from cuts to burns, inside cups of tea and sometimes I have a teaspoon during the day (tastes a little medicinal but still has a sweet flavour). If you were consuming manuka honey daily I would say it is an expensive product (mine cost AU$24 for 250g and was MGO400 or UF16+, brand was 'Manuka Health New Zealand), but as a spot treatment - lasts for ages and best value ever! Would absolutely recommend it.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2011 3:42:00 PM More reviews by realpeak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I always have some manuka honey 15+ in my kitchen. It's a great spot treatment, exfoliator (my honey always crystallizes about 1 day after opening), calming down skin irritation and a hydrating face mask. I occasionally use it on my hair aswell with some olive oil and my hair is left feeling so soft and shiny after washing out with no frizz. You can also add some brown sugar and use it as a lipscrub. Quite pricey but well worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2011 12:12:00 PM More reviews by jabritao

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love what honey has done for my face. I use it as a cleanser and mask. It leaves my skin feeling soft and moisturized. I received compliments on how good my skin was looking almost immediately after I made the switch. I'm now using manuka honey Active +16 to help with the acne. B/c I switched other things in my routine as well, I can't be certain that it is reducing outbreaks, but my skin looks better than it ever has. *HG*

**EDIT** I started using it as an overnight spot treatment on cystic acne. It makes them heal faster than anything else I have tried.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2011 7:01:00 PM More reviews by saphiric

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Other

I LOVE manuka honey. Before trying the full size jar, I bought the sample from Garden of Wisdom for about 2 bucks. It was active 17+, stronger in flavor than regular honey--almost a medicinal taste. At that time (December) I had a few cystic acne on my cheeks that I wanted to treat with this. I dabbed the honey in that spot, went to sleep for 5 hours and the pimple had shrunk by about 40%. I also have used this for a mask and found it helps alleviate red, flushed skin.
Since I am now on prescription retinol that have cleared up all my acne, I only use this honey orally. I buy the active 16+ jar from amazon and it is delicious and helps my digestive system.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2011 12:59:00 AM More reviews by rach2111

I've only owned this product for an hour and already love it - put it on an inflamed spot when I got home and it has already reduced the swelling and the redness. I'm in New Zealand so 250g of UMF 12+ was $17.50 and as a mask and a spot treatment I imagine it will last a while. Would be even better if someone could produce this in a plastic tube to keep in nice and sterile :-)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2011 4:16:00 PM More reviews by TiffD

Yes, manuka honey is a lot more expensive than regular honey but I would say that it is definitely worth the $30+. Obviously if you're allergic to honey or have very sensitive skin you should do a spot test first before you lather it on your face but here are some benefits I have noticed from using it only four times (30 minutes per mask):

- lightened acne scars
- smoother, more bright skin
- no more outbreaks of acne
- any stubborn acne I did have dried up and disappeared

Since I leave this on for about 30 minutes it does make my skin a little more dry than it usually is so I make sure to put on a bit more moisturizer after each mask.

I'm so happy I decided to finally dish out money on a product that works and is natural! I'm definitely going to be buying this for many years to come. One jar will last a couple of months because you don't need to use a lot of honey per mask.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2011 8:40:00 PM More reviews by 5catmom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

After reading about the benefits of honey on MUA, I tried local raw honey with modest results. It softened my dehydrated skin. I then bought Honey New Zealand's Bioactive 15+ Manuka Honey and got great results. I use it as a mask after cleansing and my skin has never been better moisturized -- and I've tried multiple expensive products including Zia, Kiehl's, MD Forte, Elta. This honey also lightened my acne scars as well as helped my daughter's mouth sores heal faster. It calms my skin after exfoliating or deep cleansing. The texture of Manuka is thicker/creamier than other honeys, and the taste/smell is a bit herbal/woodsy, just delicious really. I wish I had found this in my teens!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2011 12:12:00 PM More reviews by wiresinhisheart

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

what i wonderful product. i use UMF 20+ manuka honey in facemasks to brighten my skin up, and overnight on any pimples, cysts or cuts i may have on my skin. i am mixed race (white/black) and my skin scars easily even if i dont pick, and manuka honey smeared on any wounds i have really helps fight against scarring and redness for me. it is also great for bringing deep pimples (not cysts) to a head if left on over night. i just cant sing the praises of manuka honey enough.
this also helps shrink cysts dramatically for me. i had quite a painful cyst near my ear and after leaving manuka honey on it over night it had decreased in size by about 1/3.

honey is a humectant, so if you live in very dry areas (or use central heating at home) the honey can actually draw moisture from your skin, making it drier. this may be why the honey does not work for some people.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2011 7:00:00 PM More reviews by yyip

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm using Manuka Honey UMF 20+ to heal a laser cosmetic tattoo removal burn and it is helping it heal very very quickly. There is no scab as is normally expected for these type of superficial laser burns. I just put a blob on to cover the wound site day and night - doesn't look great but it's worth it to make sure I'm healing quickly without scarring. I have asian skin so scarring is usually an issue. I live in New Zealand and am lucky enough to be able to get access to a range of different Manuka Honey brands at reasonable cost. I suggest that for those of you who are finding price an issue that you check out these sites for the best value product:
and http://www.honey.co.nz.
I use this as a mask after a AHA face peel as well to help speed up recovery.