October 20, 2014 | 942 users online

Lip Treatments - Burt's Bees - Sun Protecting Lip Balm SPF 8 with Passionfruit

rated 3 of 5 on 4/25/2010 12:45:00 AM More reviews by endlessly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I was in need of another lip balm since I lost my original Burt's Bee so I ended up buying this SPF one and it's okay. The lip balm didn't leave my lips chalky looking like it did to others. I liked the original better because it was actually moisturizing. This one didn't really leave my lips feeling like that. It's not drying but I had to reapply often. The smell is nice though. If I really wanted SPF on my lips I'll just check out other lip balms with better reviews for it. Probably won't be buying this lip balm again after finishing the current tube. I'd stick with the original.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/20/2010 6:40:00 AM More reviews by dreamability

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I respect Burt Bee's for their social responsibility and environmental conscious stance as well as their incorporation of natural ingredients. The lip balm claims to be 'soothing. moisturizing. protecting' boasting it's function as a sun protecting lip balm.

Application and visual appearance
It is very easy to apply the lip balm, it does feel thick and waxy due to bees wax being the prominent ingredient. The lip balm is very white in colour and when it is applied on your lips, it also appears to be white. Having pale skin, this lip balm certainly did not look good

Soothing, moisturizing, protecting
I didn't not find it particularly soothing and it felt like a film or a layer was sitting on my lips. Moisturizing was temporary and to maintain soft lips, I had to re-apply regularly. I'm very disappointed with it's claim as "Sun Protecting Lip Balm" as SPF 8+ in my opinion, is pathetic. There are array of lip balms that are SPF 15+ and over. However Burt's Bees choice of SPF 8+ was probably due to its commitment to having natural ingredients.

Overall
While it has a nice passionfruit scent (not extremely essential in terms of its function), I would not re-purchase Burt's Bees lip balm. I believe there are much better lip balms that offer sun protection yet does not make your white lips the salient image. However I will continue to use this as a night treatment because I don't want to the waste the product.

Update: My lips have become dry and flakey, and this lip balm has emphasised this by leaving a distinct white film between the uneven texture of my lips. It also has not improved or remedy the condition.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/13/2010 12:17:00 PM More reviews by GirlyGreen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I liked everything about this product, except for the fact that it uses titanium dioxide (less safe for consumption than zinc oxide), and it leaves my lips looking chalky and white.
I wrote about some other lip balms with sun protection on my blog...

www.girlygreen.net

rated 1 of 5 on 1/28/2010 12:53:00 AM More reviews by jesusnipple

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I love all the other Burt's Bees lip balms so I was very excited when this one became available in Australia. But it ended up being a huge disappointment. It's terribly dry and like others, leaves this white stuff on my lips. Not a good look. It's such a shame though cos it smells amazing.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/20/2009 10:04:00 PM More reviews by mggimcg

I think the people complaining must be putting way too much on and not blending it in. It's lip balm not lipstick! Anyway, I love this stuff. It smells good and has sun protection.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2009 4:47:00 PM More reviews by canadiancutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I love the original Burt's Bees lipbalm, it is the best lipbalm I have found so far. When I saw the new SPF lipbalm in the store I pretty excited! I had been looking for a good lipbalm that had some sun protection.
This did not leave a white cast on my lips at all, although I guess it could if you overapplied it. I like the way this looks on my lips, in fact alot of the time I can wear this without any other lip products over it. It doesn't make my lips look shiny, but not matte either. And it kind of tones down any redness in my lips while still looking natural.
I like the fresh, fruity smell. I was a little nervous because the Burt's Bees honey lipbalm smells so terrible! I always stick with the original minty one. But this one smells nice. It's moisturizing and works just as well as the original. And it's nice to know that I have some sun protection too, even if it is only SPF 8. I would buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2009 9:17:00 PM More reviews by a2makeup

I really like this! I got it the other day and started using it immediately! And I haven't stopped for a week and a half. I don't know why everyone is complaining! :/

rated 4 of 5 on 7/11/2009 11:21:00 PM More reviews by colettaaa

I bought this lipbalm after i realized that i protect my whole body from the sun except my lips! the first time i put it on, it left a waxy white-ish tint on my lips (i have naturally rosy lips). the second time i put it on, i layered the replenishing lipbalm on first, then the spf balm and no white-ish tint, just pretty rosy lips with sun protection. THE TRICK IS TO LAYER A REGULAR LIP BALM ON FIRST, THEN ADD THE SPF BALM.
i find the light fruity smell mediocre-nothing amazing, i prefer the scent of the other burt's bees lipbalms. the taste of this balm is waxy and tastes weird compared to other balms, because of the sunscreen i guess.
in terms of performance, i tried it out this afternoon and spent about 4 straight hours at the beach in the hot sunshine and my lips were not cracked or dry. it seems to have done the job quite well. im going to singapore in a few days, will try it in the humid weather there and see if it stays on/does it job.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2009 11:13:00 AM More reviews by missred2u

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I keep this in my purse at all times. I can definitely see how this could cast a whitish tint to lips of women of color. Titanium dioxide is a physical sunscreen, not chemical, and most products containing this are a little on the whitish side. I'm very, very fair, so this isn't an issue with me. I also like the coconut-y, tropical scent. It's a little too thick to layer gloss on top for me. It feels too goopy, and that's not the effect I'm trying to achieve. Overall, a good product for me!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2009 12:47:00 PM More reviews by lareinarumbera

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

i'm a fan of the original burt's bees so i was hoping i would like this product for using under my lip gloss in the summer.

i am quite fair but it left my lips looking whitish (which did not help the fact i did not sleep much) and when i layered my lip gloss over it the whitish stuff made my lips look chalky and weird.

i think i'll just stick to nivea sunscreen lip balm spf 30 or MAC lip conditioning stick spf 15 (i hate pot lip balms, they're so icky - GERMS)... and keep the original burt's for when it's not so sunny out.