Burt's Bees Sun Protecting Lip Balm SPF 8 with Passionfruit

2.5

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (3.99%) Inactive Ingredients: Beeswax (Apis Mellifera), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Flavor, Lanolin, Passiflora Incarnata (Passionfruit) Extract, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower Seed) Oil, Tocopherol, Rosmarinum Officinalis Leaf Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Canola Oil

on 5/26/2010 2:34:00 AM

I prefer the original beeswax lipbalm over this. This has a pleasant scent, but the texture is very dry and grainy. It does moisturize a bit however, but leaves a white residue on my lips. I would not re purchase

on 4/25/2010 12:45:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I was in need of another lip balm since I lost my original Burt's Bee so I ended up buying this SPF one and it's okay. The lip balm didn't leave my lips chalky looking like it did to others. I liked the original better because it was actually moisturizing. This one didn't really leave my lips feeling like that. It's not drying but I had to reapply often. The smell is nice though. If I really wanted SPF on my lips I'll just check out other lip balms with better reviews for it. Probably won't be buying this lip balm again after finishing the current tube. I'd stick with the original.

on 3/20/2010 6:40:00 AM

I respect Burt Bee's for their social responsibility and environmental conscious stance as well as their incorporation of natural ingredients. The lip balm claims to be 'soothing. moisturizing. protecting' boasting it's function as a sun protecting lip balm.

Application and visual appearance
It is very easy to apply the lip balm, it does feel thick and waxy due to bees wax being the prominent ingredient. The lip balm is very white in colour and when it is applied on your lips, it also appears to be white. Having pale skin, this lip balm certainly did not look good

Soothing, moisturizing, protecting
I didn't not find it particularly soothing and it felt like a film or a layer was sitting on my lips. Moisturizing was temporary and to maintain soft lips, I had to re-apply regularly. I'm very disappointed with it's claim as "Sun Protecting Lip Balm" as SPF 8+ in my opinion, is pathetic. There are array of lip balms that are SPF 15+ and over. However Burt's Bees choice of SPF 8+ was probably due to its commitment to having natural ingredients.

Overall
While it has a nice passionfruit scent (not extremely essential in terms of its function), I would not re-purchase Burt's Bees lip balm. I believe there are much better lip balms that offer sun protection yet does not make your white lips the salient image. However I will continue to use this as a night treatment because I don't want to the waste the product.

Update: My lips have become dry and flakey, and this lip balm has emphasised this by leaving a distinct white film between the uneven texture of my lips. It also has not improved or remedy the condition.

on 3/13/2010 12:17:00 PM

I liked everything about this product, except for the fact that it uses titanium dioxide (less safe for consumption than zinc oxide), and it leaves my lips looking chalky and white.
I wrote about some other lip balms with sun protection on my blog...

www.girlygreen.net

on 1/28/2010 12:53:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love all the other Burt's Bees lip balms so I was very excited when this one became available in Australia. But it ended up being a huge disappointment. It's terribly dry and like others, leaves this white stuff on my lips. Not a good look. It's such a shame though cos it smells amazing.

on 8/20/2009 10:04:00 PM

I think the people complaining must be putting way too much on and not blending it in. It's lip balm not lipstick! Anyway, I love this stuff. It smells good and has sun protection.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love the original Burt's Bees lipbalm, it is the best lipbalm I have found so far. When I saw the new SPF lipbalm in the store I pretty excited! I had been looking for a good lipbalm that had some sun protection.
This did not leave a white cast on my lips at all, although I guess it could if you overapplied it. I like the way this looks on my lips, in fact alot of the time I can wear this without any other lip products over it. It doesn't make my lips look shiny, but not matte either. And it kind of tones down any redness in my lips while still looking natural.
I like the fresh, fruity smell. I was a little nervous because the Burt's Bees honey lipbalm smells so terrible! I always stick with the original minty one. But this one smells nice. It's moisturizing and works just as well as the original. And it's nice to know that I have some sun protection too, even if it is only SPF 8. I would buy this again.

on 8/17/2009 9:17:00 PM

I really like this! I got it the other day and started using it immediately! And I haven't stopped for a week and a half. I don't know why everyone is complaining! :/

on 7/11/2009 11:21:00 PM

I bought this lipbalm after i realized that i protect my whole body from the sun except my lips! the first time i put it on, it left a waxy white-ish tint on my lips (i have naturally rosy lips). the second time i put it on, i layered the replenishing lipbalm on first, then the spf balm and no white-ish tint, just pretty rosy lips with sun protection. THE TRICK IS TO LAYER A REGULAR LIP BALM ON FIRST, THEN ADD THE SPF BALM.
i find the light fruity smell mediocre-nothing amazing, i prefer the scent of the other burt's bees lipbalms. the taste of this balm is waxy and tastes weird compared to other balms, because of the sunscreen i guess.
in terms of performance, i tried it out this afternoon and spent about 4 straight hours at the beach in the hot sunshine and my lips were not cracked or dry. it seems to have done the job quite well. im going to singapore in a few days, will try it in the humid weather there and see if it stays on/does it job.

on 6/27/2009 11:13:00 AM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

I keep this in my purse at all times. I can definitely see how this could cast a whitish tint to lips of women of color. Titanium dioxide is a physical sunscreen, not chemical, and most products containing this are a little on the whitish side. I'm very, very fair, so this isn't an issue with me. I also like the coconut-y, tropical scent. It's a little too thick to layer gloss on top for me. It feels too goopy, and that's not the effect I'm trying to achieve. Overall, a good product for me!

Popular Lip Treatments