August 29, 2014 | 1776 users online

Mascara - Almay - One Coat Mascara (Thickening)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2012 3:44:00 PM More reviews by NYCBeauty99

This mascara actually shocked me. I bought it because it was on sale at the local price club. It was two for $6 ($3 each). I felt like I couldn't resist. When I first opened up the package I was disappointed because the brush didn't look like it would be good. However, I was pleasantly surprised. This could almost be my HG work mascara. It left my lashes long, thick, and soft. It was easy to use and one coat really is enough (although you can do two coats without clumping). I bought blackest black, which was a nice dark color. Overall, I still can't believe I got such an incredible mascara for such a low price. It retails for about $6, which is still a pretty good price.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/1/2012 2:54:00 PM More reviews by karencilla9

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this mascara after my lashes started falling with no apparent reason and my eyes where really sensitive so I had to stop using eye makeup at all! I always used my maybelline collosal but I wanted to try something more appropriated for sensitive eyes so I gave almay a try and I do not regret it. It gives a decent amount of thickening in one coat, holds the curl, do not make eyelashes stiff, do not smudge or flake, is waterproof (or tears proof at least) and removes easily with eye makeup remover. The best of all, my lashes stopped falling and my eyes do not itch anymore. It's more expensive than maybelline but is worth it for an everyday look, I will repurchase.

Update: unfortunately I have found that this product dries out too soon. After just one month the product is dry and if I try to apply it it flakes like hell! I gave it a second and a third try because I thought maybe I had a bad tube but definitely this is just the way this mascara is :(

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2012 1:49:00 PM More reviews by MarieW

I love the look and feel of this so much. And it's easy to remove. But it smudges badly on me! If I had a mascara sealer on top it would work well, but then I would have to buy another product.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/10/2012 1:59:00 PM More reviews by Akaia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

It is just an okay mascara. I have thin lashes and i was hoping this would give them the appearance of being thicker but it didnt. Its a good mascara if you dont want dramatic lashes. And also if yours fall out a lot bc its nourishing with b5 and aloe

rated 3 of 5 on 4/9/2012 5:55:00 PM More reviews by HotWolfie

I liked how this applied -- nice and smooth. The color really popped on me too. I loved it! It thickened my lashes well, but didn't add any length. Overall, I was impressed. It didn't clump, it didn't flake, and it stayed on through out the day. I would definitely repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2012 9:43:00 PM More reviews by sugarcheri

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I think this mascara does a great job of thickening your lashes. It won't add tonnes of length, but I do find that Almay mascaras do a great job of making your lashes healthier. I also find that they are bit too wet when they're fresh and that they tend to work better after a week or so. All-in-all a pretty good thickening mascara!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2012 2:51:00 PM More reviews by jezebellini

Bought this after getting irritated eyes from previous mascaras. I was happy with this product in that it did not cause any irritation, and so the claim that it is for 'sensitive' eyes was true in my case.

I prefer my mascara to be a little more dramatic - it wasn't quite thickening enough for me. However, I did find that applying the formula of this mascara using a different brush really helped. So a big thumbs up for the formula, but the brush isn't great if you want a more dramatic look.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2011 10:59:00 AM More reviews by candystripelegs

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Although nothing could replace Prestige My Biggest Lashes as my HG mascara, this is a very close second and I always purchase it if my beloved Prestige is not available.

I've never been too terrible concerned with lengthening formulas because I typically wear glasses anyway. My main focus is on lifting them up and building volume. Due to vision problems, I don't trust myself with an eyelash curler and eye makeup in general can sometimes be a PITA for me to apply. I typically like to keep it simple as far as eye makeup goes and this mascara is great for everyday use.

Things I love:
Price-usually under $6

No funky smell

Does not make my lashes overly stiff or cause any burning/itchiness/irritation of my eyes. Sooo many mascaras for this reason alone have been tossed in the trash because my eyes are so sensitive.

The length of the applicator wand is short which really helps me get up close and get all those little corner lashes lifted. The brush is small but not skinny or one of the rubbery brushes that bend. Although they have their benefits, I am not a fan of those types of brushes. Big, fluffy tapered brushes seem to work best for creating volume. Definitely a fan of this applicator as it really helps me lift my lashes.

Drawbacks are that this is definitely not a "dramatic" mascara. then again, it doesn't really claim to be...but it does claim to be Once Coat and I found 2-3 coat to be ideal any more more it can get a bit clumpy. Did it create lots of thickness? Hmm, maybe a little but nothing that any average drugstore mascara can't do.

All in all, this a great mascara for a work/everyday looks, for anyone with vision issues that might want an easier way to apply mascara (the short wand really has helped me) or for anyone who doesn't want to curl their lashes but still wants lift. It's cheap and Almay doesn't test on animals. Pretty sure I will always have this one in my stash!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2011 4:14:00 AM More reviews by onarainbow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff!
HG for sure.
Though, I do have long lashes to begin with...Either way, this makes them much more thick and long and I feel like putting it on is good for my lashes. Or at least it doesn't harm them in any way like other mascara tends to do.
Will certainly purchase again and again.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2011 9:40:00 PM More reviews by turquoiseginger

This is the only mascara I can use that doesn't irritate or burn my eyes. It does tend to clump a bit, but not much more than other mascaras.