October 25, 2014 | 1861 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 3 of 5 on 4/29/2014 11:17:00 AM More reviews by n2fraser

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was so excited to try this moisturiser as my friend had finished a whole tub and we have similar skin, but after using it for a few months, I am kind of disappointed. Firstly, I bought it when I was overseas and had to travel around with it, the packaging was sooo bad for this, the cream would end up all over the lid and up the sides and it would even leak out liquid! I loved that it was a whipped moisturiser, but after travelling with it, it seemed to have lost all the air and just became a normal sloppy consistency.
Another thing is the smell, I really tried to like it and thought of it like this: "it doesnt have to smell nice, as long as it is doing good for my skin" but now I feel I am just lying to myself. Theres just something weird about it, and I can't quite put my finger on it.
As for how it makes my skin feel? It feels nice to put on, I think I might prefer something a bit thicker (I use it as a night moisturiser) but I haven't noticed anything amazing. I have recently even started going back to my old drugstore cream because the smell is so gross before bedtime! It is very overpriced for what it is.
Overall I was disappointed with this product and definitely would not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2014 11:17:00 PM More reviews by blonderedhead78

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I began using this cream 10 years ago while I was in my early twenties. Back then, I didn't really notice any difference in my skin from this cream, probably because I didn't have any major skin issues. Now that I am in my thirties, I began to notice discoloration, dullness and texture changes and decided to give this brand another try. I have to say that I have seen a tremendous improvement in my skin over the past 3 weeks. HIAJ is the perfect amount of moisture and leaves my skin soft and glowing. Texture has improved and my skin is brighter, more even toned and fine lines are improved. I use this in conjunction with the vitamin c booster and HIAJ night cream, and also use the retinol treatment 3x a week.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/16/2014 11:24:00 PM More reviews by laflawyer

I like the consistency of this moisturizer and how it makes my skin feel, but it smells like wet dog! If it wasn't for the nasty smell I'd be a fan.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/2/2014 2:34:00 PM More reviews by ChristyMakeup3

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

More like junk in a jar, look at the ingredients, they are just a smodge podge of a bunch of ingredients it didn't do anything special for my skin and i know of so many other moisturizers that actually work.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/2/2014 1:33:00 PM More reviews by bflytilidy

What a dreadful product. I've honestly never liked Philosophy, but have been hearing more and more about them, so I thought maybe I was too quick to judge in the past. So I went out and purchased Hope in a Jar and the Purity Made Simple One-Step Cleanser (see separate review) and I was beyond disappointed by both. Hope in a Jar is just that... Hope. But disappointment. Reminds me of how I get psyched up for a date that promises to be amazing, and I'm left wondering afterwards how I will regain those couple hours of my life. This "moisturizer" dried out my combination skin to the point of peeling, itching, and breakouts. Now that I'm a bit older, I only breakout from two things: 1) hormonal changes at a very particular time of the month; and, 2) crappy products. This also comes in a jar (WTF) so it is completely unsanitary and a pain in the #&@ to use. Oh and the smell... the smell! Am I dying my hair or moisturizing? This is going back to the store today with the Purity Cleanser, as well as all the freebies I was given by Philosophy, I don't even want those! Back to using my current HG - Devita Age Perfecting Moisturizer.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/19/2014 9:39:00 PM More reviews by Shaylynn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have fairly normal skin nowadays. Not sensitive, dry, oily, etc. As far as acne, I get tiny blackheads and occasionally a breakout of whiteheads. But this stuff, dear lord. I had zits that turned red and itched! It looked like I had mosquito bites all over my face after I'd been using this product morning and night for two days. Never again. Maybe I'll use the rest as a hand lotion.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2014 4:34:00 PM More reviews by jocox88

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been using this product since becoming a Philosophy girl about 12 years ago (through an infomercial). I really can't count how many jars of this stuff (2 oz and 4 oz.) that I have been through. I now use Philosophy's Miracle Worker line at night, but Hope in a Jar is my daytime moisturizer. This is the first moisturizer that I have used consistently without having it break me out. It seemed that anything I was using prior to this, afer 6 to 8 months, it just wouldnt work any more -- i.e. clogged pores and breakouts. I let my sister use this one time when we were traveling and she forgot night cream -- she thought it smelled awful! However, the next morning she was amazed at how soft her face was (she is 13 years older than me).

rated 1 of 5 on 3/12/2014 4:07:00 PM More reviews by icymatrix

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The smell drives me CRAZY !! YUCK....

I just could not get past the smell... its like rotten egg or something... Reminds me of my chemical lab :(

rated 2 of 5 on 3/9/2014 3:43:00 PM More reviews by shadowemily

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

Honestly, I am lucky that I just got a sample size of it. I think it would be a waste if I bought the full size. For moisturizing, yes it does, but not enough. At the moment I try it, my skin was devastated by the weather change; it was very dry. (I do have oily skin at usual moments.) This moisturizer didn't work on my skin, it was still dry and patchy. I think it would be enough for my skin when it goes back to oily. So if you have dry skin, you might found it not moisturizing enough. Also, it is somewhat irritating on sensitive skin. For the smell, URGGGGH! It is the most foul-smelled skin care product I have ever encountered. I don't know how to describe it precisely, I would say it smells like chemistry lesson gone wild with explosion occured. I know the brand sells professional-like beauty products, which has no fragrance added...but Philosophy please! Unscented doesn't mean you can let it smells bad! It ends up being ignored in my bathroom and eventually disappeared, might have been dropped into somewhere behind the basin or thrown away. =\

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2014 4:32:00 AM More reviews by bigbadpanda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm actually surprised to see all the negative reviews on here. Maybe I'm just lucky that this product agrees with my skin? I absolutely love this moisturizer. It's nice and whipped and sinks right into my skin and makes it super soft. The smell isn't exactly the best but it isn't unpleasant in my opinion. But I appreciate that rather than using a heavily perfumed moisturizer. I use this every night after cleansing my face and the next morning my skin feels nice and hydrated. I do have to say that I don't have acne prone or sensitive skin. Maybe that's why this product agrees with me.