TheBalm TimeBalm Foundation

4.1

Tridecyl Trimellitate, Neopentyl Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Diethylhexyl Adipate, Isoeicosane, Talc, Copernicia cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Beeswax, Octyldodecanol, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, C18-36 Acid Glycol Ester, Panthenol, Tribehenin, Ceresin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Linoleic Acid, Glycine soja (Soybean) Sterol, Phospholipids, Lauroyl Lysine, Silica, Propyl Gallate, Glycine soja (Soybean) Oil, Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Iron Oxides CI 77499, CI 77492, CI 77491 Mica CI 77019. May Contain: Ultramarines CI 77007.

on 12/17/2011 10:57:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I love this foundation. You need to apply this on a mouisturized face so it can spread easily. It is full coverage dewy finish and longlasting. I got light and its slightly darker than my nc20skin. However it does blend in good. I highly recommend this foundation

I've been waiting weeks to review this- I would say this is in my top 5 foundations of all time. This puts all those other creme foundations I've wasted money on over the years- Gerda Spillman; Graftobian; Cover FX; Shu Uemura; etc. to shame. You don't need any special techniques to apply- I love my CoverFx pointy synthetic foundation brush with this. Anyway, it is super stupid easy to use with a brush or sponge, and the coverage is fantastic and adjustable. The colors are that perfect balance of yellow and neutral. It is a bit dryish but the minute you start stippling on your skin the product warms up and spreads nicely. It does not break me out. You can use it more heavily on problem areas and it doesn't get cakey or crepey looking. You should moisturize well before applying, but other than that, I've used it with primer, without- and performs well either way. The other thing that's nice- it looks the same at 5 pm as it did at 9 a.m. Did I mention the coverage is fantastic? I have semi-crappy looking skin, some scars and melasma and it covers it all, without making me look like a dead faced corpse. I love the concealer too- but I just use that under my eyes. I'm not entirely sure they're all that different in terms of coverage, although the undereye might actually be a bit drier. My only beef and its a small one, the container is NYX/Wet-n-Wild cheapass looking. That's it. I think Sephora online is the only place to get this. I'm stocking up... PS I'm a MAC NC 30-35 and I use the Light-Medium.

on 11/19/2011 5:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is a great product. It lasts a long time (as in how long is lasts for before having to buy another one and on application) and has great coverage.
I only use this as an under-eye concealer as I find it is more matte than the actual concealer they have. If a product is oily, it tends to slide right off my skin even with primer.
I love that it doesn't have silicone in it as it causes milia around my eyes that takes forever to get rid of. The shades are fabulous and they blend very well with liquids and powders.
My only issue is the lack of hygiene with the big plastic screw top container. If something is going to last that long, surely something can be done to help keep it cleaner (besides having to constantly wash my hands before applying makeup).
I have the light/medium and medium depending on what and where I need to conceal and also whether or not I have a tan.
I try to stay away from using this as an every day concealer on active or healing blemishes or clogged pores as my job is quite active and find that sweat with a heavy duty product don't mix.

on 11/14/2011 7:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I love the color and the ease of application but the settles into fine lines despite primer. It's also difficult to apply without a primer and accentuates any flakes or uneven texture.

on 9/16/2011 6:51:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I'm reviewing The Balm Time Balm foundation (original).

I looove this stuff! It's my HG of foundations. I've worked with countless foundations as a cosmetician, and nothing beats this for coverage and natural effect.

This foundation comes in a compact cream format (kinda like Revlon One Step Compact), and has exceptionally full coverage. I use it with my fingers as an under-eye concealer, and then buff it all over with a synthetic bristle kabuki brush (Eco-Tools Retractable Kabuki) for flawless, naturally glowing coverage. It will cover a multitude of imperfections including rosacea, hyper-pigmentation and pimples. All while looking soft, radiant, and line-free!

Despite the light as air feel, it somehow manages to impart moisture. Kinda magical, if you ask me. It's full of skin friendly ingredients like Vitamin B and lipids, and won't cause breakouts. There's also no parabens, which is great for sensitive skins.

I started using this just before re-piercing my nose. Both times I've had it pierced before I've suffered from wicked infections that caused me to remove my jewelery and let it grow over. I've come to believe my foundation was the culprit, as this foundation doesn't aggravate my nose at all and I've had a trouble free piercing for 1.5 years now!

I will never go back to using another foundation, and I sincerely hope this brand is available for me to purchase for years to come.

on 8/15/2011 1:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Not a fan. I've used this for a few weeks now, and find that it feels really heavy (even for a cream foundation), and gives me horrid, very black, blackheads in my t-zone. I also hate the packaging... the product seems like a bacteria collector. It's too bad because the product has a great finish and awesome lasting power. It looks beautiful! But, not worth it, for me.

on 6/21/2011 5:06:00 AM

I was introduced to the brand because of the concealer. Fantastic product! (Okay, let's not talk about the packaging and that grotty little sponge it comes with) I was surprised this worked for my combination/mostly oily and sometimes acne-prone skin. It doesn't feel greasy and it hasn't broken me out!
I use a flat top kabuki or a beauty blender sponge to apply, and the finish is like skin-- ok, great skin. Not too matte, but not too "glowy" either. Just, even, poreless, and fresh. I don't even use a primer anymore. I just put this after my spf, and I'm good to go.
It evens out my skin tone without looking like a mask. Darker spots need concealer (their concealer is an awesome, more pigmented version of this, by the way), but this covers lighter spots well enough on its own.
In the package, it looks a lot darker than it is, no fillers here. The light shade is a little too pink for me, so I use light medium here (for ref: I use deauville from nars, I know, they look like a million shades apart, but they work, go figure). You only need a bit, and it blends out really well...like I said earlier, the finish is like skin-- or what I wish my skin was like.
Great price point for the amount and quality of product you are getting. Definitely worth checking out.

on 5/5/2011 9:46:00 AM

This is a difficult one:

- the colour looks scary dark in the pan (I got the colour Light), but blends quite nicely into my fair skin

- it is SO easy to use too much! The best way to apply it (for me) is to use a wet sponge and apply it VERY sparingly

- the coverage is very high but can be sheered out to some extent by using a very wet sponge and very little foundation. I rarely need a concealer with this, cause it covers everything so well.

- when used correctly it looks natural and feels like you're not wearing anything at all, which I love

- no need to set it with a powder

- staying power is okay and can be improved by using a primer

- quite pricey, but lasts you a long time!

The Big But: the packaging is SO unsanitary! This goes for every creme foundation i guess, but I just hate to go into the product again and again, whether it's with my fingers, brushes or a sponge. Grrrr...

So, I rated this 4 cause it's a good foundation, but 1 for the bad packaging. Will probably not buy again.

on 4/22/2011 6:13:00 PM

I fell in love with their tinted moisturiser, so that made me want to try their foundation. I was not going to go back to foundation as I found most of them just look really unnatural compared to a good tinted moisturiser. Anyway, I looked around at a few tutorials on how to apply the product properly because it is quite a strange foundation. It comes in a screw top container and is a very solid cream foundation. The consistency is like hard butter. I chose the color "light" which turned out to be perfect for me. As with most of The Balm foundations, it is a yellow based foundation. I applied it by spraying a cellulose sponge with water and then rubbing across the foundation. You only need the smallest amount of foundation to get a really great coverage. I used the normal technique of starting at the nose and blending outwards in small strokes. The finish is really dewy and natural. In outdoor lighting, it is a flattering finish and does not give that cracked, horrible look that you see with a lot of foundations. I am very, very impressed with this foundation. I took off a star because of the packaging. It's a bit ordinary, but that's just nitpicking really because the product is fantastic!

on 12/21/2010 7:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This foundation is fantastic once you get the knack of applying it (with a foundation brush). Gives really good coverage that you can customise, gives a nice dewy finish, and doesn't feel heavy on your skin. It's $50AU which is normally on the expensive side for me but you don't need heaps if you use it properly so it lasts a while.