October 22, 2014 | 1118 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Pure & Free Baby SPF 60

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2011 9:47:00 PM More reviews by PaperAlias

I haven't been using sunscreen as often as I should have for the past few months, mainly because every time I applied sunscreen on my face, I would get an uncomfortable burning sensation, or my skin would get red and irritated. :( After consulting the Skincare Board, I realized that the burning may have been caused by "oxybenzone" and/or "avobenzone"... ingredients found in chemical sunscreens. So I decided to try and find a physical sunscreen that contained "titanium dioxide" and "zinc oxide" instead.

I love this. I came across this at Walgreens for around $10. Since the label said it was oil-free, fragrance free, and good for sensitive skin, I figured it was worth a shot.

It's an opaque white creamy liquid, as expected with any sunscreen, but it doesn't make my oily acne-prone complexion feel greasy at all. It dries to a considerably matte finish. I did notice a slight white overcast on my face, but after a little more blending, it didn't seem noticeable on my fair/fair-medium skin tone. And ultimately, to my delight, this didn't sting or leave my skin feeling red at all! I'm glad I found the culprit of my sunscreen dilemma.

This hasn't caused me any irritation, or clogged pores/breakouts. No weird smells. It doesn't make me look greasy at the end of the day either. I think it absorbs really nicely and stays put really well. When I sweat, or start to produce oil, I don't feel it "bleed" into my eyes or streak throughout the day. It comes in a down-facing squeeze tube, so it's easy to get the product out immediately.

A nice find. Would repurchase.

UDATE: It's been almost a month now, and I'm pretty sure I can call this HG! It has not broken me out at all, and it actually feels good to put on (no burning or stinging), so I'm never discouraged about putting on sunscreen anymore. I had some post-acne marks, and this has definitely helped in preventing any darkening/reddening. My skin tone is much more even now. I would give this more than 5 lippies if I could. :)

rated 2 of 5 on 1/6/2011 6:40:00 AM More reviews by ilhwo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Bought this for staying in the sun during the summer. I guess it did a decent job at protecting my skin, since I didn't burn and I didn't tan too much. However, I feel like any basic sunscreen could do that, and I don't really like this one. It's quite thick and uncomfortable to smooth into my skin, and I definitely wouldn't put this on my face. The white cast is the worst out of any suncreen I've used, and it never really goes away. It also takes a while for that feeling of the sunscreen sitting on my skin to go away. I do like that it's scentless, and I'll use it for my body until I run out of it, but I wouldn't repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2010 1:44:00 PM More reviews by Andee

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I used this as an everyday body sunscreen. It has no odor and sinks in decently. I would not trust it to keep me from burning in a beach setting, but for everyday use, it is OK and very reasonably priced. But, I have noticed that if I wear it to the gym and sweat a little, it stains my clothes. Now that I've found LRP Dermo Pediatrics Lotion, SPF 50+ with Mexoryl, I will probably stick with it, summer and winter for body.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/19/2010 10:37:00 PM More reviews by jasminechen

It broke me out so bad and burned my five years old son's skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/19/2010 4:13:00 PM More reviews by iHeartBella

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My reason for buying this last year was my daughter's sensitive/fair skin. She usually breaks out a bit after consistently using most sunscreens. Since this was labeled "PURE" and had physical sunscreens instead of chemical, I thought this would be a good choice for her. WRONG. Besides being chalky after applying, it had a strong scent.... that lasted even after I bathed her!! Her skin reacted, of course. I stopped using it after that, but kept it in my bathroom cabinet. I pulled it out last week
(a year later) when I ran out of my daughter's sunscreen, hoping I would be able to wash it off easily since she'd be swimming. Surprisingly, no harsh smell! I used it on her and it washed off just fine. But I checked the exp. date... and it was expired. So, I guess I only like this sunscreen when its expired, lol.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2010 4:41:00 PM More reviews by psychout

I have super sensitive skin and most facial sunscreens leave me covered with small red bumps - summer is not a kind season for my skin. This sunscreen has made a huge difference. It seems that my skin was reacting to the chemicals in sunscreen, and since this contains physical barriers, it doesn't irritate my skin in the same way.

It does leave a white cast to my skin, but that's an unfortunate temporary side effect of zinc oxide that I'm willing to accept in lieu of long-lasting angry red acne. I'd just be careful to avoid any photos with this on.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2010 1:29:00 AM More reviews by MMM

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is HG!!! I've tried a lot of different sunscreens. I have had crazy breakouts since I turned 31. My skin couldn't be anymore sensitive and this doesn't break me out. I love this under my studiofinish powder. It's so great I even wear it in the evenings, It's the perfect primer. It definitely minimizes my large pores. At first I think I applied too much. I found it's best for me if I put a dime or even smaller in the palm of my hand and rub my hands together and then apply to my face and neck. I'm so happy I found this. I love it!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/23/2010 8:32:00 PM More reviews by fanaticfringer

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Zinc oxide level is too low. Offers no real protection.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2010 9:20:00 PM More reviews by lunyc

I bought this sunscreen because I have sensitive skin, so I thought what would be better than a sunscreen for babies. It leaves a white cast no matter how much I rub it in. Very disappointing.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2010 6:31:00 PM More reviews by shanstuff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was not impressed with this sunscreen. I know it isn't marketed for the face, but I still had high hopes. I was excited to find a sunblock that had only zinc oxide and titanium oxide listed as its active ingredients, but this one just didn't work for me. Although it didn't leave as much of a white film as many physical sunblocks, it did leave a greasy film that never "matted" down for me. Even after applying makeup (I use MMU), I still felt shiny...and I have normal/dry skin. It just got worse throughout the day. The sunscreen was comfortable, and to my knowledge never made me break out, but the cosmetic problems outweighed the other pros. In addition, the list of inactive ingredients is a mile long. I'll wait and use it on my body during the summer.