April 16, 2014 | 1498 users online

Polishes - Essie - Mademoiselle

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2012 5:38:00 PM More reviews by MsHepburn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is beautiful. Looks very simple & elegant: like naked nails, only cleaner and more groomed. Great for the office or a low-key weekend look.

If you expect an opaque pink, don't get this! I hear Fiji is great if you want no sheerness in your light pink polish. Mademoiselle is sheer (and it's supposed to be).
One coat of this does very little compared to a base coat. But add one more layer and your nails will look ever so slightly lighter, fresher, cleaner and healthier... I love the way it makes my hands look a little tanner than usual. The white tips of your nails will still be visible so it looks like a French manicure. I guess the name was a bit of a giveaway. I've heard Ballet Slippers is similar but pinker and streakier. Mademoiselle looks lighter in the bottle than Ballet Slippers and in my experience it doesn't streak.

I get about a week's wear out of this, as I do with all Essie polishes so far. I do have to stop at 2 coats though, any more and it starts to pile up so you can see the edges coming loose after a few showers, if that makes sense.

I tried a few OPI polishes recently but I definitely prefer the consistency and finish of my favourite Essies :) I love my classics: for now I'm sticking with Mademoiselle, Aperitif, A-list, Bordeaux and Wicked.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2012 8:08:00 PM More reviews by ChaseSpearing

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

After being SO disappointed by Essie's 'ballet slipper' I decided to grab a bottle of this at Target. It did after all have an 'editors pick' sticker underneath it :D

And I am OVER THE MOON with this polish. It is a VERY sheer pink that makes your nails look so much healthier and looking less like you hit each one with a hammer. I have a lot of little white specks on my nails and this polish fades them and makes them less noticeable. I do dance and gymnastics so my nails always have those little specs on them.

Be warned however, what you see in the bottle is not what you get on your nails. Like I said before, it is VERY sheer, so if you aren't into that try a more opaque pink from the line :)

I've only been wearing it for around an hour so I can't really say anything for lasting power and chipping but so far I enjoy it quite a bit. FIVE LIPPIES.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2012 12:45:00 PM More reviews by chickengifts

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This nailpolish is just plain transparent. I didn't see any pink, white, or just any color at all! I thought this would be a good nailpolish for a french manicure, but really it is colorless :(.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2012 12:04:00 AM More reviews by ArizonaAngel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Easy to use - gives you a great, pink and polished nail. No streaks for me. Very sheer - I use this on my fingernails with one coat to even out my nail bed, two for a bit more opacity but it still is sheer. Nothing eye-popping or dramatic, but classy and clean. Will always be a staple in my stash!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/10/2012 5:59:00 PM More reviews by rimanuela1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

On my NC 25 skin it was like a shiny clear polish... You need 4 coats if you want a light pinkish color... will not buy again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2012 5:25:00 PM More reviews by Roxxy6341

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I think everything about this polish has already been said. It's a sheer (very sheer) milky pink with a blue undertone. This was used by a manicurist when he did a french manicure on me and I knew I had to have it. It is just sheer enough to paint over the white tips without making them look pink. This is a staple polish for me for french manicures. I'm almost done with my first bottle, and will repurchase. The reason I gave it 4/5 is for the obvious fact that this color is time consuming to build up. If you want that opaque color you will need at least 3 coats, granted it looks very pretty when you do.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/27/2012 10:41:00 PM More reviews by MissMelanieM

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Barely noticeable. Run of the mill sheer pink shade. May as well buy Sally Hansen Hard as Nails sheer pink in that fun vintagey bottle. Looks exactly the same.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/27/2012 10:30:00 PM More reviews by sexylovie84

this is a nice, paler alternative to my usual favorite ballet slippers. One coat appears useless, and the second/third coat is where the magic is. I did like 3 coats on top of white tips on natural nails. It looks nice on it's own. I would rather use something with more color.. this takes too many coats to have a purpose

rated 3 of 5 on 6/22/2012 1:01:00 AM More reviews by CristiK

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Nice colour in the bottle, but goes on very sheer and tends to streak. Also too light for my skin tone. Meh.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2012 3:47:00 PM More reviews by nixsticks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just started painting my nails after a several-year hiatus -- I'm usually much too lazy, but I need to stop some bad habits and having pretty nails is a deterrent. So keep in mind that I'm not particularly skilled at applying nail polish.

I tried two other Essie pinks, True Love and BBF (technically a "mauve" but still quite pink). Then I tried Mademoiselle, but was skeptical due to all the hype.

I love it. It's totally worth the hype. Well, not if you want opaque color... it took four (very thin) coats for me to get a semi-opaque color, which to me means opaque except for VNL. But I've found it almost impossible to find a pale pink that doesn't make my warm tan skin look dirty; most of them are cool/blue-toned. Mademoiselle is so clean and pretty. It does apply streaky if you don't do it right, but I've found that to be true of all nail polish. I'm not very good at it, and I have perfect, even nails right now.

Also, weirdly enough, I remember trying OPI Bubble Bath a long time ago and thinking the color didn't live up to the adorable name. This one does!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No