October 23, 2014 | 1107 users online

Conditioner - Dabur Vatika Hair Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2010 8:31:00 PM More reviews by gate403

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This stuff is great! It's a million times better than the other hair oil produced by this company called 'Dabur Amla Hair Oil'. That one is plain mineral oil, canola and dyes with a tiny bit of amla while this is coconut oil and lots of herbal extracts (including amla) and all natural. I finished a bottle of the other stuff through habit and really saw no difference. But I've just started using this Vatika and it's amazing. It's also better than parachute hair oil, because it has herbs and parachute does not. I like to use this as a pre-poo treatment and also put a tiny bit through my hair as a serum. My hair is much more manageable and soft nowadays. It's also ridiculously cheap if you can find it at an Indian grocer's.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2010 10:36:00 PM More reviews by herbgurl82

Love,love, love this product.
I bought a bottle of Dabur Vatika Hair oil on a whim when the local Indian grocery first opened up about two months ago. I have very long straight hair with a very fine texture, so I am always looking for ways to increase the moisture content, and strengthen the strands of my fine fragile hair. I use this oil as a pre wash hot oil treatment about two to three times a week before I shampoo. I heat a cup of water in the microwave for about a minute or so, put the bottle in it for about three minutes to liquefy. I then apply the oil heavily to my scalp, and to the first few inches of hair. I then clip it up out of the way, cover with a shower cap, and leave on anywhere from a half hour to overnight, washing it out with shampoo, and following with conditioner. This product has done wonders for my hair- my flaky scalp and dandruff has lessened, due to the lemon and neem, it is shinier, due to the henna, and the amla extract seem to have strengthened the roots of my hair. I used to have horrible shedding in the shower, which is down to a fraction of what it was two months ago. The reason why I gave this oil a four star rating was because of the weird smell, which I think is due to the neem and amla. It kinda smells like lemons and coconuts, but not really, and the longer you leave it on your hair, the worse it gets. This product also contains milk (and soy extracts in the reformulated oil, which I have not tried) so if your hair reacts badly to products containing too much protein you might want to skip it.
Sadly, my family did not like the icky smell that was rancid coconut oil plus Indian herbs, and my mother went through my hair care drawers and tossed all of my stash. :-(

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2010 8:28:00 AM More reviews by medmunky

I have been using Dabur Vatika oil on my hair and scalp for over three years, during which time I stopped using it for about four months. After about one month of not using this oil, my hair definitely looked and felt different, and not in a good way. While using the oil, my hair was glossy, lustrous, less frizzy and my scalp was calm, as in no itch, no flake, and shedding of hair was normal. After about a month when I stopped using Vatika oil, itchy and flaky scalp returned, as well as lots of shedding. My hair didn't look as glossy, and frizzes became a daily issue no matter the weather. I went back to Vatika oil and once again my scalp is healthy and my hair has a sheen and shine to it that is not the result of oiliness or added styling products.

I use Vatika oil in small amounts on the scalp and hair. I massage my scalp, then cover my hair with a couple silk scarves. I also lay a towel over my pillow when I use overnight. The next day I shampoo it out (I do this every three days or so). I either shampoo with hair conditioners (conditioner washing, or "co-washing") or I use a shikakai hair shampoo bar. I also use amla and brahmi herb powder paste to shampoo the oil away.

I absolutely love what Vatika oil does for my hair and scalp.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2010 1:04:00 PM More reviews by Stacia26

This is a wonderful product I went through 1 year of bleaching my hair in 2008 and its still not back to normal but this product has helped a lot and it looks abot 90% better then it did. I dont mind the smell at allI like it!. I usually leave it in over night and shampoo it out in the morning. Or I use it after I flat iron my hair. Love this product!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2010 1:06:00 PM More reviews by sunshine824

I last used this about 5 years ago when I first tried Indian hair care products. If I remember correctly it worked ok as a pre-wash oil and as an after wash oil. I may go back and try it again but there was a sour smell to it if I remember correctly.

The main reason I wanted to write this review is to clear up a misconception about one of the ingredients.

T-butyl-hydroquinone(short for tertiary butyl-hydroquinone or TBHQ for short) is an aromatic organic compound which is a type of phenol. It's used as a highly effective preservative for unsaturated vegetable oils and many edible animal fats. Yes, it is derived from hydroquinone but is not used to bleach skin and doesn't change skin color(the same way most bar soaps are derived from beef tallow but aren't edible like beef). I'm not saying that TBHQ is good for you. Like most preservatives, it isn't. But it's not skin or hair bleach in this formulation. The lemon juice can lighten your skin and/or hair. So if you have any lightening, it's from that.

No need to stop using it out of concern for the TBHQ bleaching your skin or hair. It's just a preservative.

P.S. I've found that most forms of Indian hair care work better with each other than mixed with Western hair care. I've never had a problem with dryness or leftover oil when I was using Hesh Shikakai after oiling. However, I experience both dryness and oiliness when I try to shampoo oils out with typical shampoos. If you can get a hold of the herbal powders along with the oils, then you should give them a try. They may not work for everyone, but when they do work they're like magic!!!

19 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2010 10:12:00 AM More reviews by 3niR

I always use this before I shampoo my hair. This does makes my hair silky and only one wash will remove this oil because it's very light. Takes a lot to make your hair grease ball. Try this, it's cheap.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2010 8:29:00 AM More reviews by gommiebears

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a good oil for me. I had this in my arsenal for some time now but I am always trying new things. I recently went back to this because I am trying to use up what I have and then repurchase the product or purchase another product. I use this as a hot oil treatment, a preshampoo treatment, and daily hair oil and so my hair is holding up well. I must warn ya that coconut contains proteins so if your hair does not respond well to proteins, you can avoid this or purchase the smaller bottles if your hair needs an occasional boost. BTW the form of hydroquinine is a food-grade preservative. Since coconut oil can go rancid fairly fast. My hair is already a dark brown color and the amla extract is to say to darken your hair with constant use.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2010 5:20:00 AM More reviews by ambodidi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've used this hair oil ever since it came out, which is over 10 years now, but I stopped using it a few months ago, just because I wanted to try something else. I think that's the best way to find out if something actually works. It's no better than regular coconut oil at making hair softer, but when I stopped using Vatika, my SD got out of control and I suddenly realised my hair was thinning. I started using it again recently, and already my scalp feels and looks better.It helps my hair be less frizzy too. The directions suggest leaving it on overnight, but I don't think that's a good idea, because you can catch cold, especially in winter. Research says coconut oil in general is almost completely absorbed in 2 hours, and I usually leave it on for 2 to 4 hours. It smells of herbs (no added perfume) and can be a little hard to get out of your hair if you don't work shampoo into your hair properly. I don't want to stop using this again. A lot of younger Indian women don't think it's cool to use hair oil, but I've discovered the hard way that hair is much better off with it, and this one is the best mass-market one available.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2009 10:23:00 AM More reviews by fmbaker

I initially started using this product to add shine to my hair and it has accomplished that 100 fold. My hair is both silky and shiny without being flat or limp (and I have very fine hair). I love the shine and health it has given my hair.

What I didn't expect was to see so much growth! My hair has been growing like a weed ever since I started using this 2-3 times a week. Additionally, I have visible new growth along my hairline. I didn't think I was losing much hair, but I can actually see where it's filling in what must have been bare areas along my hairline.

It is easy to use, natural and WORKS. I cannot recommend this enough!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2009 10:08:00 PM More reviews by Reservechic

I have hair that is naturally very dry. To help my hair gain as well as retain greater moisture to it, I have found that the use of natural oils on my hair on a regular basis is a must have!

I like to apply vatika oil onto my hair as a pre-poo treatment. It leaves my hair feeling like silk, very shiny, and my hair feels more moisturized than ever!

If you want to have the most healthiest hair possible, adding vatika oil is the way to go!!