April 24, 2014 | 1831 users online

Conditioner - Dabur Vatika Hair Oil

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2010 1:04:00 PM More reviews by Stacia26

This is a wonderful product I went through 1 year of bleaching my hair in 2008 and its still not back to normal but this product has helped a lot and it looks abot 90% better then it did. I dont mind the smell at allI like it!. I usually leave it in over night and shampoo it out in the morning. Or I use it after I flat iron my hair. Love this product!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2010 1:06:00 PM More reviews by sunshine824

I last used this about 5 years ago when I first tried Indian hair care products. If I remember correctly it worked ok as a pre-wash oil and as an after wash oil. I may go back and try it again but there was a sour smell to it if I remember correctly.

The main reason I wanted to write this review is to clear up a misconception about one of the ingredients.

T-butyl-hydroquinone(short for tertiary butyl-hydroquinone or TBHQ for short) is an aromatic organic compound which is a type of phenol. It's used as a highly effective preservative for unsaturated vegetable oils and many edible animal fats. Yes, it is derived from hydroquinone but is not used to bleach skin and doesn't change skin color(the same way most bar soaps are derived from beef tallow but aren't edible like beef). I'm not saying that TBHQ is good for you. Like most preservatives, it isn't. But it's not skin or hair bleach in this formulation. The lemon juice can lighten your skin and/or hair. So if you have any lightening, it's from that.

No need to stop using it out of concern for the TBHQ bleaching your skin or hair. It's just a preservative.

P.S. I've found that most forms of Indian hair care work better with each other than mixed with Western hair care. I've never had a problem with dryness or leftover oil when I was using Hesh Shikakai after oiling. However, I experience both dryness and oiliness when I try to shampoo oils out with typical shampoos. If you can get a hold of the herbal powders along with the oils, then you should give them a try. They may not work for everyone, but when they do work they're like magic!!!

19 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2010 10:12:00 AM More reviews by 3niR

I always use this before I shampoo my hair. This does makes my hair silky and only one wash will remove this oil because it's very light. Takes a lot to make your hair grease ball. Try this, it's cheap.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2010 8:29:00 AM More reviews by gommiebears

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a good oil for me. I had this in my arsenal for some time now but I am always trying new things. I recently went back to this because I am trying to use up what I have and then repurchase the product or purchase another product. I use this as a hot oil treatment, a preshampoo treatment, and daily hair oil and so my hair is holding up well. I must warn ya that coconut contains proteins so if your hair does not respond well to proteins, you can avoid this or purchase the smaller bottles if your hair needs an occasional boost. BTW the form of hydroquinine is a food-grade preservative. Since coconut oil can go rancid fairly fast. My hair is already a dark brown color and the amla extract is to say to darken your hair with constant use.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2010 5:20:00 AM More reviews by ambodidi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've used this hair oil ever since it came out, which is over 10 years now, but I stopped using it a few months ago, just because I wanted to try something else. I think that's the best way to find out if something actually works. It's no better than regular coconut oil at making hair softer, but when I stopped using Vatika, my SD got out of control and I suddenly realised my hair was thinning. I started using it again recently, and already my scalp feels and looks better.It helps my hair be less frizzy too. The directions suggest leaving it on overnight, but I don't think that's a good idea, because you can catch cold, especially in winter. Research says coconut oil in general is almost completely absorbed in 2 hours, and I usually leave it on for 2 to 4 hours. It smells of herbs (no added perfume) and can be a little hard to get out of your hair if you don't work shampoo into your hair properly. I don't want to stop using this again. A lot of younger Indian women don't think it's cool to use hair oil, but I've discovered the hard way that hair is much better off with it, and this one is the best mass-market one available.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2009 10:23:00 AM More reviews by fmbaker

I initially started using this product to add shine to my hair and it has accomplished that 100 fold. My hair is both silky and shiny without being flat or limp (and I have very fine hair). I love the shine and health it has given my hair.

What I didn't expect was to see so much growth! My hair has been growing like a weed ever since I started using this 2-3 times a week. Additionally, I have visible new growth along my hairline. I didn't think I was losing much hair, but I can actually see where it's filling in what must have been bare areas along my hairline.

It is easy to use, natural and WORKS. I cannot recommend this enough!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2009 10:08:00 PM More reviews by Reservechic

I have hair that is naturally very dry. To help my hair gain as well as retain greater moisture to it, I have found that the use of natural oils on my hair on a regular basis is a must have!

I like to apply vatika oil onto my hair as a pre-poo treatment. It leaves my hair feeling like silk, very shiny, and my hair feels more moisturized than ever!

If you want to have the most healthiest hair possible, adding vatika oil is the way to go!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2009 11:14:00 PM More reviews by sblee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm biracial and have thick, curly 3C hair. Vatika works great for pre-poos, hot oil treatments, and overnight deep conditioning. I buy it from the Indian grocer and it's inexpensive, has good ingredients, and a little goes a long way. If your hair likes coconut oil try Vatika.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2009 10:21:00 PM More reviews by pertiegurlie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ok so this product has *the* most RIDICULOUS TV commercial in the history of hair ads. 99.99% of hair ads make no sense anyway, so imagine how bad THIS one must be!
Still, there is something *charming* about dumbness. No wonder blondes are so popular with le boys (boom tisshh!).
k, sorry. My bad. That was uncalled for.
But yeah. The commercial was so stupid it brainwashed me. It lulled me into a state of zombie-like tranquility..then it went in for the kill! And before you know it, I was all, Vatika! Must have Vatika!
Such is the power of lame commercials.

The way the girl played blind man's buff in the middle of a vast magical fairyland, naming each of her friends by the condition of her hair ("Rough as sandpaper! This must be Shayma!")...the way her blindfold kept slipping off but she insisted on pretending it had..the lame rock music in the background.
I mean, my mouth dropped open at the idiocy. (You can watch it on youtube if you want a laugh).

And in this state of awe, those clever pickpockets & wallet-wrenchers (aka advertisers) were able to convince me that "smooth as silk" hair could be MINE too, if I just used the magical Vatika oil. VA-TEE-KAAA..
And...they were RIGHT.
So..um yeah. Review over. It WORKS, people. Smooth, gleaming hair, and all that jazz. BUY IT! Try it. Don't fry with it. (Someone I knew DID that..fry their food with hair oil. Don't worry, I didn't catch their cooties)
Vatika vatika vatika.
(Or, buy the equally good "Bio Amla hair oil" which I recommend because it has almost ALL the same ingredients, except no bleaching chemicals. Oh, and it's MADE IN *PAKISTAN*! Represent, yo!)
...

(Seriously..forget this review. Buy Bio Amla. It's the same product, but it also contains essences du mangoes, Shahid Khan Afridi, and spontaneous bhangra dancing. So, clearly, it wins)
(Don't listen to me. I'm a biased Paki. Buy Vatika)
Ahh I have split personality syndrome!!!! Nooooooo!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2009 8:48:00 PM More reviews by lotusfairy

For two bucks, I wasn't expecting much. I shampooed my hair, mixed a little of this with my conditioner, and let it sit in my hair for five minutes. When I rinsed, my hair felt so soft and was less frizzy. When my hair dried, I had this nice gloss to my hair. It can even be used as a scalp treatment for those who suffer from dry or itchy scalps. It smells like coconut oil to me and contains lemon and amla oil(gooseberry). As the reviewer noted below, it oddly contains a bleaching agent, but it is way on the bottom of the ingredient list, so I can't say what effects it could produce. That is why I would mix it with conditioner or use it as a night treatment to be on the safe side. A little goes a long way.