Dabur Vatika Hair Oil

4.2

Coconut Oil, Neem, Brahmi, Extracts of Amla, Bahera and Harar, Kapur Kachri, Henna, Milk, Rosemary Oil, Lemon Oil, TBHQ, Fragrance

on 3/27/2011 8:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Why make a product that hardens in a bottle? You have to either put the bottle in hot water to get any out or try and dig your finger into the small opening at the top. Ridiculous.
The smell is definitely a mix between coconut oil and a strange lemony tangy scent. It would serve well as a fragrance for washing up liquid but as a hair oilit's not that bad either, definitely not worse than the smell of pure coconut oil on your hair after a few days.
As I have mentioned in my many other reviews (I think) my hair loves moisture. This claims to give moisture but instead did nothing but...well i'm not sure. Using it alone I think I may have put too much on because my hair started to feel greasy instead of soft BUT after I rewashed it after leaving it in for 15 minutes my hair was soft. I'm thinking it's good for a deep conditioner or mixed with shea, olive oil, caster oil but alone, my hair didn't like it.

2 WEEK UPDATE
I relaxed my hair and used this as part of my deep conditioner with my Olive oil replenishing conditioner/olive oil mix. As I washed ti out I noticed my hair felt rough and hard. I know it wasn;t my conditioner mix because my hair loves that so I rewashed my hair and reapplied my conditioner and dried my hair and it was fine.
This oil has apparently stopped working before I even really started using it a lot. Throwing it out.

on 2/20/2011 10:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

I like this oil. It works, coconut oil is the primary ingredient, with lemon, amla, and henna too Ithink.

But you can get just as good results by buying coconut oil and using that for hot oil treatments/leave in. Also, you have an unfiltered coconut oil supply that you can use for other things (skin, nails, food, oil cleansing, etc.).

All in all, I would recommend as it is a good quality. But if you like making your dollar stretch, you could also just buy coconut oil at Vitacost for $4 for 16 oz and add in whatever you want (lemon, rose, amla powder, etc.) for extra effects.

on 1/13/2011 10:53:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I have tried several different hair oil treatements. I usually leave the oil overnight or for 2-5 hours. Parachute cocnut oil was ok, I found it left my scalp a little dry. However the Dabur Vatika was great, never leaves it dry, and my hair always looks shinier and fuller after an application. I only use it every 2-3 months, I should be using it every other week, ideally!
It does have a coconut/herbal small, which I don't mind so much, but your spouse might ;-)

on 12/11/2010 9:44:00 PM

Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure

Deep Conditioner heaven! Love it. Available at Lakshmi's Cupboard online store for $2.

on 7/16/2010 8:31:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This stuff is great! It's a million times better than the other hair oil produced by this company called 'Dabur Amla Hair Oil'. That one is plain mineral oil, canola and dyes with a tiny bit of amla while this is coconut oil and lots of herbal extracts (including amla) and all natural. I finished a bottle of the other stuff through habit and really saw no difference. But I've just started using this Vatika and it's amazing. It's also better than parachute hair oil, because it has herbs and parachute does not. I like to use this as a pre-poo treatment and also put a tiny bit through my hair as a serum. My hair is much more manageable and soft nowadays. It's also ridiculously cheap if you can find it at an Indian grocer's.

on 7/12/2010 10:36:00 PM

Love,love, love this product.
I bought a bottle of Dabur Vatika Hair oil on a whim when the local Indian grocery first opened up about two months ago. I have very long straight hair with a very fine texture, so I am always looking for ways to increase the moisture content, and strengthen the strands of my fine fragile hair. I use this oil as a pre wash hot oil treatment about two to three times a week before I shampoo. I heat a cup of water in the microwave for about a minute or so, put the bottle in it for about three minutes to liquefy. I then apply the oil heavily to my scalp, and to the first few inches of hair. I then clip it up out of the way, cover with a shower cap, and leave on anywhere from a half hour to overnight, washing it out with shampoo, and following with conditioner. This product has done wonders for my hair- my flaky scalp and dandruff has lessened, due to the lemon and neem, it is shinier, due to the henna, and the amla extract seem to have strengthened the roots of my hair. I used to have horrible shedding in the shower, which is down to a fraction of what it was two months ago. The reason why I gave this oil a four star rating was because of the weird smell, which I think is due to the neem and amla. It kinda smells like lemons and coconuts, but not really, and the longer you leave it on your hair, the worse it gets. This product also contains milk (and soy extracts in the reformulated oil, which I have not tried) so if your hair reacts badly to products containing too much protein you might want to skip it.
Sadly, my family did not like the icky smell that was rancid coconut oil plus Indian herbs, and my mother went through my hair care drawers and tossed all of my stash. :-(

on 4/5/2010 8:28:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I have been using Dabur Vatika oil on my hair and scalp for over three years, during which time I stopped using it for about four months. After about one month of not using this oil, my hair definitely looked and felt different, and not in a good way. While using the oil, my hair was glossy, lustrous, less frizzy and my scalp was calm, as in no itch, no flake, and shedding of hair was normal. After about a month when I stopped using Vatika oil, itchy and flaky scalp returned, as well as lots of shedding. My hair didn't look as glossy, and frizzes became a daily issue no matter the weather. I went back to Vatika oil and once again my scalp is healthy and my hair has a sheen and shine to it that is not the result of oiliness or added styling products.

I use Vatika oil in small amounts on the scalp and hair. I massage my scalp, then cover my hair with a couple silk scarves. I also lay a towel over my pillow when I use overnight. The next day I shampoo it out (I do this every three days or so). I either shampoo with hair conditioners (conditioner washing, or "co-washing") or I use a shikakai hair shampoo bar. I also use amla and brahmi herb powder paste to shampoo the oil away.

I absolutely love what Vatika oil does for my hair and scalp.

on 3/27/2010 1:04:00 PM

This is a wonderful product I went through 1 year of bleaching my hair in 2008 and its still not back to normal but this product has helped a lot and it looks abot 90% better then it did. I dont mind the smell at allI like it!. I usually leave it in over night and shampoo it out in the morning. Or I use it after I flat iron my hair. Love this product!

on 2/20/2010 1:06:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I last used this about 5 years ago when I first tried Indian hair care products. If I remember correctly it worked ok as a pre-wash oil and as an after wash oil. I may go back and try it again but there was a sour smell to it if I remember correctly.

The main reason I wanted to write this review is to clear up a misconception about one of the ingredients.

T-butyl-hydroquinone(short for tertiary butyl-hydroquinone or TBHQ for short) is an aromatic organic compound which is a type of phenol. It's used as a highly effective preservative for unsaturated vegetable oils and many edible animal fats. Yes, it is derived from hydroquinone but is not used to bleach skin and doesn't change skin color(the same way most bar soaps are derived from beef tallow but aren't edible like beef). I'm not saying that TBHQ is good for you. Like most preservatives, it isn't. But it's not skin or hair bleach in this formulation. The lemon juice can lighten your skin and/or hair. So if you have any lightening, it's from that.

No need to stop using it out of concern for the TBHQ bleaching your skin or hair. It's just a preservative.

P.S. I've found that most forms of Indian hair care work better with each other than mixed with Western hair care. I've never had a problem with dryness or leftover oil when I was using Hesh Shikakai after oiling. However, I experience both dryness and oiliness when I try to shampoo oils out with typical shampoos. If you can get a hold of the herbal powders along with the oils, then you should give them a try. They may not work for everyone, but when they do work they're like magic!!!

on 2/18/2010 10:12:00 AM

I always use this before I shampoo my hair. This does makes my hair silky and only one wash will remove this oil because it's very light. Takes a lot to make your hair grease ball. Try this, it's cheap.