October 31, 2014 | 1595 users online

Foundations - Faerie Organic Mineral Makeup

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2011 4:41:00 PM More reviews by piecesofpurple

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I tried this product in the "Maximum coverage' formula because I have a lot of post acne scarring to cover up and I hate spending so much time piling on layer after layer of mineral makeup. But, what I've found is that nothing truly beats buying a pressed mineral makeup product and applying it with a flocked sponge. With this method, on a well moisturized face (or at least a little cream concealer on trouble spots) to give the minerals something to adhere to, you get truly maximum coverage. However, with loose minerals, it's kind of a pain to use a flocked sponge and the effect isn't quite the same.

In my opinion, this foundation is just average---there's nothing great about it and nothing that separates it from every other "pure" mineral line out there. There are now a ton of companies that don't use bismuth and talc. I also find their instructional video on how to cover acne to be a complete misrepresentation of their product. It's definitely, definitely not that "simple" to cover acne with their foundation! They made it seem as though using a concealer brush with a tiny bit of foundation, while using one or two light coats of foundation with a fluffy powder brush will make imperfections simply disappear. This is really not true and I'm not new to MMU, so I have a lot of different brushes and methods of application to get the best coverage possible with any foundation I use.

I moisturized my face, using a light coating of cream concealer on my trouble spots, and used a very dense bristled flat top long handled kabuki brush and a full coverage large concealer brush and after 3 layers of foundation, nothing was covered. It evened out my skin tone, but that was it, so the coverage was sheer (even with the Max coverage formula).

So, this was a big "eh" for me. If you're looking for a foundation to just even out your skin tone, try it out, but other than that, please look elsewhere.

So far, Larenim pressed foundation and The All Natural Face (pressed or loose) have the best coverage for me. Lucy Minerals has pretty decent coverage, as well, but isn't the best for oily skin. I'm on Accutane now, so my skin has turned dry, so I can use a lot of foundations I couldn't use before. Larenim I can use even with very oily skin. I apply with a flocked sponge and I don't even use a separate mineral concealer because I don't have to.

****EDIT**** I just wanted to update to let people know what I've recently discovered. Any foundation with Boron Nitride makes me itchy---it may not be right away (definitely when I sweat)----and it ultimately clogs my pores and gives me horrible cystic acne. I've been narrowing it down and have finally realized what the common ingredient is amongst all the brands I've tried that use this particular ingredient. For me, Boron Nitride is as bad as Bismuth Oxychloride. Think about it---some people get a severe reaction from Bismuth, while others aren't bothered by it at all. So, why couldn't the same thing be true of Boron Nitride? Or any other ingredient used in mineral makeup?

I've put my skin through hell because I didn't want to face it, but alas---I'm away from Boron Nitride and my skin is finally smooth again. Now for the scarring :( And I'm still on the hunt for the ideal foundation without this ingredient.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2011 4:06:00 PM More reviews by LaceyJames

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Wow! All I can say is WOW! This is the HG foundation I have been looking for. I heard about this brand from MarthaStewart.com's blog on the top 9 best natural foundations. I would have to agree based on my results. I got the sample kit and found my color to be the med/golden in airbrush finish. I have very sensitive skin and have been unable to wear eyeshadows, foundations (from most grocery store brands) etc for some time. I was hesitant to try F.O at first because I have been let down so many times and makeup isn't cheap. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had no reaction to the foundation whatsoever! The minerals went on smoothly, covered my imperfections and looked like natural skin. I just ordered some samples of eyeshadows as well so I cannot wait to try and see if I can finally wear eyeshadow without getting red swollen eyes. The only note I would say is go with full size brushes if you can, the cheap sample brush is really harsh, and can make your skin turn red and angry/irritated as it is abrasive. Brushes make a huge difference make sure you have a good natural or synthetic hair set so you can get good results! This company has a new customer for life.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/5/2011 8:09:00 PM More reviews by VrViolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is only based on my sink type........
I tried the Faerie Organic Foundation Samples I ordered. My skin got a really tight felling as soon as I applied the foundation to my face. My checks started burning really bad. I had to immediately wash off the foundation. I will stick to my non organic Bear Minerals. :( Sad. I was really hoping the whole Organic thing would work out for me....:(

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2011 2:01:00 PM More reviews by Carys

I love Faerie Organic's mineral foundation. Mineral foundation is the type that's best suited to my skin, but previous bad experiences with Bare Escentuals' products turned me off from loose mineral foundation years ago. Every time I went back to BE, I had to stop for the same reasons: irritation, itching, and breakouts. I even tried Laura Mercier's mineral foundation, but the coverage was just so-so and her product would oxidize by midday, leaving my skin with a slight bit more orange than I would have liked.
I read about Faerie Organic being a good alternative to Bare Escentuals on an online acne forum, so I checked them out and bought their sample kit. I first tried the airbrushed variety (the one with the dewy finish) with their sheer veil powder, but despite their claims that it's appropriate for all skin types, my skin produced enough oil that it made me look too shiny by the end of my work day. Then I tried the full coverage (matte finish) with the matte veil powder. It was perfect. It gave good coverage, it survived my work day, and its color stayed true and did not oxidize despite my tendency to get shiny.
Now, I use the full coverage foundation in medium golden, the matte veil powder, the Flower Child au Naturale primer, and their concealer in medium. It provides sufficient coverage to conceal redness from breakouts and evens out my skin tone with a natural look. Most importantly, I have not suffered from irritation or breakouts since using Faerie Organic. The full coverage matte foundation also provides much better coverage than Bare Escentuals'. I also love that the matte veil powder has kaolin clay in it; between that and the silica and rice powder in the primer, the oilies strike way later in the day than they used to.
During a month or two during the winter, I did find that the full coverage with matte powder did leave my face looking a little overly done, but I suspect that it was the dryness that was the problem. Now that it's early summer, however, it looks completely natural. Next winter, I'll try using the airbrush version with sheer veil to see if that mitigates the "powder face" winter look.
I've turned some of my BE-using friends on to Faerie Organic and they've made the switch with me. We love the lower price point, the better coverage, and the gentleness of the product.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/24/2011 1:58:00 PM More reviews by lisasmith0112345

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I do like some of their products, however, their customer service leaves something to be desired. Sometimes they reply and others, they wont. Apparently, they only desire to reply to certain e-mails and do not answer their phone. Every time I've ordered it takes a long time to ship then wont reply per my request on the order status. I became quite frustrated and went on an online quest for another company and actually found two that I prefer over FaerieOrganic now.
Makeup Artist's Choice and Cory Cosmetics are better and have great customer service.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/27/2010 3:17:00 PM More reviews by AlwaysRosie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used bare minerals for roughly 5 years prior to finding this product, stopped using upon discovering it was the reason I was breaking out. Faerie Organic has been pretty good to me .. I'm not entirely convinced that the Mica in it isn't giving me clogged pores/breakouts (as per Mica is known for that).
Overall, I think this product is ok, I feel good about telling myself it's organic, and it's not overly expensive - though I'm not sure it's doing me any good. It could be a great thing for those who aren't acne prone or overly sensitive. I would also be weary of reading reviews on other sites as I've heard the owner of the company posts reviews. I will continue to buy until I find something better (the search continues!).

rated 4 of 5 on 12/1/2010 5:13:00 AM More reviews by Rockz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've used Bare Minerals, great coverage BUT itchy feeling, especially when I was in the gym, when I started to sweat a little ( yeah I wear a little foundation in the gym ). So I was searching online, for reviews on some good mineral foundations, and many people were pretty excited about Faerie Organic. I ordered a sample pack, with different colours in the FAIR line, and fairly light was a good match, and I had to admit the coverage was pretty good.My face looked less greasy by the end of the day, and very important: No itching! Now my acne.. well let's just say that 50% of my acne went away when I started using this. I'm using acne medication now, and I use this foundation everyday, and my skin is getting clearer each month. I don't think a HG foundation for my skin exists, but this comes pretty close!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2010 6:00:00 PM More reviews by agibeault

I was a Merle Norman devotee until they CLOSED the one and only store within 500 km from me last year. I have been searching far and wide for the perfect mineral makeup that would give me the nice dewy look without being sparkly and FINALLY I have found it. I am just sad that I bought a big order or EDM because this blows it out of the water. Also, even though the samples come in the baggies (which I hate), they gave more samples than I ordered and generous amounts. I haven't tried the blush but I'm very excited to buy some more products from Faerie!! DEFINITE recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2010 3:58:00 PM More reviews by Tiffbee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this foundation! My skin looks amazing, all flaws are minimized. I have very sensitive acne prone skin and have problems with breakouts to most foundations I have tried, but not this one! My skin looks flawless, I feel like I can finally leave the house without being self conscious about my acne. I would highly recommend!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2010 12:11:00 PM More reviews by snyder

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I ordered samples in the airbrush and max coverage foundations and thank goodness I didn't buy the full size. I asked a girl on here what makeup she used because her skin was just breathtaking and this the brand she was using. Glad it worked so well for her, but no dice for me. I tested the samples a few times and when the makeup was on my skin it was beautiful but when I washed it off I had tons of huge HIVES. It also left a small burn mark on my jawline! :-( I've never had this happen with any other makeup product. It took my skin about 2 weeks to get better. I have used Aromaleigh's Pure Powder in the past with no problems. I also sampled BE, but it was way too shiny for me to really give it a chance. If you do want to try Faerie Organics, get samples first. Overall I do not recommend.