October 31, 2014 | 789 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Hourglass - Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2014 3:04:00 AM More reviews by scarattina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Why is this primer so good?? Because it doesn't make your makeup look cakey. Most silicone primers make you look like you are wearing cake makeup, so I usually don't do a primer. This one I really like. A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY. Seriously, just use less than a drop...more like a bead. Otherwise it makes you look kind of oily and shiny. If you do not like touching up or have very oily skin, then you probably won't like this. I am slightly shiny every few hours, but I love glowy products and don't really care, I use them anyway! I feel that it looks better. Some people are saying it keeps them from getting oily though, so it could just be the sheen of the primer itself. I also brokeout very slightly the very first time I used it but never have since. I heard that happens sometimes with natural ingredients.

It really allows you do "glide" on your makeup, never had that with a primer or moisturizer before. It's a great product but I think it is definitely over priced for what it does, although you don't need much at all to apply, (and shouldn't!!)-I always make that mistake.

It also gives a slightly whitish cast, not as bad as BB creams, but I think the look their going for is that pretty Hourglass sheen, kind of like you are a fairy or something. I go for that :p. Infact, I would describe the effect of this primer, to kind of give you that blue-ish lighting look, when you are sitting at your computer and your makeup looks really good. I've been observing this. People who like thinner formula, "skin" foundations and bb creams will love this, and people who don't like primers will also like this.

My sister is in LOVE with this stuff. I love it too but it's not quite HG.

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2014 11:21:00 PM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

After hearing so many good things about this primer, I picked up a travel sized bottle ($18 for .33 oz) last time I was in Sephora to see if it could do a better job controlling the oilier areas of my combo skin than my usual primer. After using it for a week, my general thoughts on this product match my feelings for every Hourglass product I've ever tried. It's a good product, but it's too ridiculously overpriced to be worth it. Despite its claims, it doesn't do much to camouflage the large pores and acne scars I have on my nose and cheeks, doesn't really brighten or doesn't tone down my redness at all. It did keep my foundation from sinking into my pores and extended the wear of my foundation, which is always nice, but it was no better at either task than my usual primer, the super cheap Monostat Anti-Chaffing Gel.

Just to see, I applied Veil Mineral on one half of my face and Monostat Anti-Chaffing gel on the other under and wore it under three different foundations on three different days. Despite the two products not looking much alike straight out of their packaging (Veil Mineral is white rather than clear, and has the consistency of a thin lotion rather than a thick gel), they looked indistinguishable from one another on my skin, both before and after I applied my foundation. They didn't feel any different on my skin either unless I touched my face, and even that difference was minor. And there wasn't even any difference performance wise over the course of the day. The Hourglass Veil Mineral gets a lot of raves from oily skinned folks for its ability to control oil, but I didn't notice any difference on that front. I do tend to wear matte finish foundations though (plus a matte finish sunscreen underneath my primer) so perhaps if I wasn't already using products to manage my oily T-zone, the oil-control properties that make this primer so popular would have materialized. As it was, I found myself reaching for powder about 4 hours after application which isn't bad, but again, no better than a cheaper primer.

This product does contain sunscreen which will appeal to many, but honestly SPF 15 in a fancy primer is more of a flaw than a benefit in my book. I think SPF in makeup misleads a lot of people into believing that they can rely on their cosmetics for sun protection. I cringe whenever I read things like "I was never good about wearing sunscreen daily until I started using this primer/foundation/BB cream" because I seriously doubt they're using enough to get any meaningful amount of sun protection. To get the full SPF 15 protection (which is already on the low end of what we should be wearing every day), you need to be using at least a quarter teaspoon for your face and another quarter for your neck. A quarter teaspoon is an extravagant amount of product for something this expensive. Also, this primer uses Zinc Oxide as a part of its sunscreen which can (and does according to some of the reviewers) leave a white/gray cast to the skin. I didn't have this problem at all, but I wouldn't expect to since my skin is both fair and pink which makes it more tolerant of "white casts" than other skin tones,

If this product cost $20-30 less than its outrageous $52/oz price, I'd probably rate this product a 4 or maybe even a 5. Because while it's doesn't do everything I'd want my fantasy primer to do (render my pores invisible, seriously minimize redness, enable me to pull off the dewy look without looking super greasy), it does what I know I can realistically expect my primer to do pretty well. But for $52/oz, I feel I should be able to expect a product to deliver results that go beyond what I can get from products that sell for a fraction of that price. And Veil Mineral just didn't do that for me. If you've had issues with thicker silicone based primers, then maybe this product will be good for you. But if other silicone primers are already working out for you, don't try this product expecting it to be even better. It won't live up to the hype.

15 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2014 11:32:00 PM More reviews by Letty116

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE this primer! Was a little hesitant due to the price, but the SA @ Sephora raved about it, so thought I would give it a try. I previously used Smashbox's photo finish primer & I thought it was a decent enough primer & always blamed my oily skin for makeup "sliding" off by the end of the day. This primer is amazing! It's silky smooth & feels great on the skin. A little goes a long way, though I dab a little extra on my t-zone. My makeup now lasts all day & I don't have to reapply or powder throughout the workday. I just went to an outdoor festival in the Florida heat & humidity & my makeup still looked great after 8 hours. I will definitely buy this again! It's worth every penny!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/3/2014 8:38:00 PM More reviews by cinderella7

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use this primer during the summer months and No. 28 when my skin is feeling a little dry. Unlike some other reviewers I have not had a problem with breakouts nor the whitish cast others have noted. It provides a great canvas for all my foundations. I do believe this gives my foundation some "staying power" during the day.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2014 11:59:00 PM More reviews by tC_girl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This primer is amazing! I have extremely oily and acne-prone skin and have to blot several times throughout the day. This primer kept my makeup looking as fresh as when I first applied it, even after a 12+ hour shift! It's a miracle product. It's lightweight and incredibly smooth when applying. I've tried several primers (MAC, Laura Mercier, Becca, Smashbox, Korres) and I like this one the most. However, if I wear it for many consecutive days in a row, my pores start getting clogged. This is probably due to the silicone in the primer. I have to be careful and will probably just use this for special occasions. Is it worth the price? In my opinion, yes. Sephora sells a small, sample bottle for under $20 in case you want to try it out before purchasing the full size version. Try it out!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/20/2014 10:00:00 PM More reviews by IreneIss

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

After reading all the great reviews for this product I decided to give it a try, buying an entire bottle. It does keep makeup looking good all day, even on oilier parts of the face like the chin. Unfortunately, it also gives the skin a light white glow. I am fair skinned with dark hair, which makes me appear even paler. For me, this was enough to turn me off as I do not need a product that accentuates how pale I am.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/17/2014 12:15:00 AM More reviews by moreyuna

CAUTION: this primer is VERY TRICKING, beware guys!

Many people with oily skin looks for the best matte prime right? Neither do I, and just like you guys I HOPE this prime will answer what we looking for and found my HG so i didnt have to waste my time to the other one, but what we hope look like far away

I now there's alot of BEST PRIME for OILY SKIN but I cant take it all, because MOST of them contains TOCOPHEROL which makes me got bumps. And this one is tocopherol free.

At that time, this primer works well but sometimes it doesnt. It only does when I apply toner first and this only work well with my Laura Mercier Smooth Finish fdt powder; even though i apply LMSF without toner, my face looks greasy. I tried to apply this with ELDW or Armani Lasting Silk fdt, but nothing happens, just an ugly oily face (for Armani Lasting Silk, my face looks matte but also completely dry)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2014 6:28:00 PM More reviews by Luciibabi

this is the best primer I've ever tried, I think I found a new HG product. I love the packaging its so sturdy, and it feels great on my skin. Although this primer is a little pricey but its so worth it, and I find that i only need a little half pump anyway. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2014 2:20:00 PM More reviews by silveralejandra

I have horrible skin oil just drips out my pores and i work in a office which transfers everywhere. I had been eyeing hourglass for a while but the price would make me run and hide. At sephora the nice girl told me about the smaller bottle for $18 girl i ran out with it. I used it with kat von d lock it it was great. At first the white consistency scared me until i kept massaging it in. I get ready early in the morning and it took the redness away immediately. My skin felt great even when taking my makeup off. It was my first time and hopefully i continue to love it!! Try a sample guys!!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/23/2014 12:38:00 PM More reviews by queenofthenile

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm still in shock over just how awful this primer turned out to be. For a start, it doesn't even work! My technique is to apply my moisturiser and let that absorb before applying this primer and letting it absorb for a few minutes as well. Then on goes my liquid foundation. By the end of the day, my makeup has either completely disappeared or looks patchy and gross. Without the primer, I'll have a bit of makeup meltdown by mid-afternoon, but it's definitely not as bad as when I use this primer. And to top it all off, my skin has been looking great for the last two years but this primer has made me break out like you wouldn't believe. Plus a £52 price tag? No thanks! I'd give this product no lippies if I could.