July 29, 2014 | 2044 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Youth Dew

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2011 11:02:00 PM More reviews by crysna

The first fragrance from the iconic beauty house ESTEE LAUDER, created by Mrs Lauder. This frag is a staple on my mom, aunts and myself:) this frag is so sexy, spicy balsamic type, well balanced with nice sillage and longevity! with 2 spritz and i'm done the perfect amount of youth dew!!! The bottle is so gorgeous, looks pretty! The price is so cheap for an EL fragrance! Cool :) will buy it again, 100% sure!!!! Old lady type but a sexy one.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2011 6:36:00 PM More reviews by stayce

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I want to like Estee Lauder, I really do. They're such an iconic house, and they've done so many classic perfumes, they have a reputation for good quality, and they've kept their prices very reasonable. Every perfume of theirs that I've tried has made me want to go scrub down with bleach.

Youth Dew has a lovely balsamic, spicy opening. Turin and Sanchez describe it as 'animalic cola,' and they're dead on. And then it smelled like I had just walked into a zoo. There are a LOT of indoles in that sucker. Now, I'm not terribly squeamish-- I wear Bal a Versailles and Shalimar-- but this went straight from 'a little dirt' to 'someone needs to hose down the elephant pen.' Too bad. My packaging rating is for the adorable baby-blue retro bottle.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2011 10:32:00 AM More reviews by HanLuna

Ok i've heard so much about this ''controversial'' scent for quite some time and i've yet to try it.But last week, i finally got a bottle. I was surprised at how cheap this is. I am aware this is a very old school scent and mainly appeals to the older generations particularly the old ladies. But being in my late 20s,i was really curious as to how this smells like and why it is still around despite all the negative reviews everywhere.

It smells really overpowering and very spicy. I sprayed it on my wrist and even after washing it with soap,i can still smell it though not as strong. I like the bottle very much..probably one of the few reasons i decided to get it. Another reason is that i remembered reading a book on how Ms Lauder smashed a bottle of YD at Galleries Lafayette in Paris after the owner refused to let Ms Lauder sell YD in the store.

I agree with most people this is not for everyone. But i like it personally and i occasionally spritzed a little of this after taking a bath and relaxing after a long hard day.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2011 1:32:00 PM More reviews by Bayspirit2002

Personally I cannot wear Youth Dew because it smells horrible on me but it is what my Mom always wore and it totally worked with her chemistry because EVERYONE ALWAYS complimented her on it! It smelled so warm and comforting (if that makes sense). I remember being a kid and watching her getting ready to go out and she'd spray her perfume right before leaving and I loved it! My Mom passed away 4 years ago and I have kept her last bottle just as a reminder. The other day I got into an elevator and a lady had it on and I thought of my Mom. It's funny how many people HATE this perfume but I really think it is all about your body chemistry and how it smells on you. It will always be a favorite of mine even though I cannot wear it.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/23/2011 2:08:00 AM More reviews by MissKisara

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm sorry but this stuff just plain reeks! It is way too strong and too "old fashioned" smelling. It reminds me of Shalimar and Joy. Unfortunately the scent is so potent that it hurts my lungs and can nearly trigger an asthma attack. While there are people who do wear this on a daily basis, such as a few ladies in my office, I wish they would not apply it so heavily. Sorry Estee Lauder this may be a classic but I'm not a fan.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/13/2011 12:24:00 PM More reviews by hed67

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

ARRGH! This is the stuff my mom used to wear in the 1970's. VERY heavy. Always gave me an instant headache. Reminds me of industrial solvents. Just nasty.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/12/2011 4:27:00 PM More reviews by jsnowden0001

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Youth Dew should be dabbed, not sprayed, and with a very judicious hand. Better yet, get the bath oil (an amazing value) and put a tiny drop on each wrist. You are now perfumed, not covered with fabric softener or plastic flowers. Like Mitsouko, this American masterpiece takes time to appreciate and perhaps some sophistication (not age, but outlook).

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2011 5:42:00 PM More reviews by Kabuk1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My mom absolutely HATES Youth Dew(so bad that I used to get samples at the mall & hide them in her car just to prank her. Sorry mom!), but its really not that bad. I kind of like it, actually. I grabbed a tester strip of it at Ulta the other day & threw it in my purse. This morning I went to get my makeup bag out of my purse & thought to myself, "Hey, my purse smells like a renaissance fair!". Then I realized it was the Youth Dew sample I was smelling! That's what this smells like to me, it's a dead ringer for the musky, woody, incense-y smell of a medieval fair. I might just go buy a small bottle now, I can't stop sniffing this sample.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2011 6:16:00 AM More reviews by fenlady

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

When I was a shy teenager I plucked up courage and asked the fascinating older beauty assistant at the local pharmacy what she was wearing as her scent, because I loved it! She said it was Mitsouko, but when I tested that it didn't smell anything like her. I later tested Youth Dew, and found it was exactly that scent, and when I challenged her, she admitted she'd lied because she was embarrassed about the name! Which I can understand, because I am, too.
But the scent itself I love - it's warm, rich, spicy, Oriental, and full of amber and incense. Not what I'd wear on a summer's day, but quite wonderful in autumn and winter. I wear the EdP but based on the reviews I've been reading here I'm going to try the original bath oil.
I don't think you have to be any particular age or type to wear this scent. I'm a fragile-looking pale blonde, and the lady I first spotted wearing it was a plump brunette. It just depends on whether it likes your skin chemistry and whether you enjoy this type of perfume. If you want to smell like Cleopatra - as another reviewer said - or like a Russian Princess (as Estee Lauder claimed), do give it a try. Just don't be too embarrassed to ask for a tester!

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2011 7:29:00 PM More reviews by combatmedicwife

Dang it. It's hard to put into words what I want to say about this one.
Cute bottle! Charming story! Beautiful on a vanity.
It's something I'd wear if I was spending the night alone, but sensing that it's a fragrance not everyone likes to smell, I would maybe wear this for my own enjoyment. But that's not why I wear fragrances, to be perfectly honest. I'm not sultry or brunette or mature enough to pull this one off. It's spicier than my enthusiasm can keep up with.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No