December 18, 2014 | 1553 users online

Treatments (Face) - Philosophy - Turbo Booster C Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 5/12/2012 12:18:00 PM More reviews by Yishabeila

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love mixing the product every morning. However, as opposed to what they say, it doesn't mix with everything. For instance, with certain sunscreens, it's a disaster. It works best with water-based serums or lotions.

However, it also makes my skin feel tight and dry, so I doubt I will buy it again. It's not a problem specific to that powder. All vitamin C serums do this.

Also, it's supposed to enhance sunscreens, but when you think about it, don't citrus fruits cause the skin to be photosensitive? My melasma has worsened recently. I'm not sure if there's a link.

Anyways, like other reviewers, I can attest that this little bottle last a long time. I use a full scoop every day, and I still have two-thirds left after 3 months.

Bottom line, I haven't seen clear improvements with that powder yet, but it's fun, and vitamin C is one of the few proven anti-aging ingredients.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2012 12:06:00 AM More reviews by Kimberlyj33110

UPDATE: upon further research and educating myself on ingredients, I stumbled upon how cost effective it can be to create your own custom skincare. You can get 4oz of L-Asorbic acid for $13.95 from lotion crafter. That is basically all this product is, just a lot more expensive. Here's the ingredient list: ascorbic acid, panthenol (vitamin b-5, basically a moisterizer), zinc pca (helps decrease sebum production)copper pca (same type of thing)camellia oleifera leaf juice (anti-oxidant) dipotassium glycyrrhizinate (white licorice extract, inflammation control) arginine (amino acid that assists in wound healing, great for erectile dysfunction too lol) cysteine (amino acid) aloe barbadensis leaf juice (moisterizer).And guess how much this costs for a half ounce? $35. The labels state it is 98% pure vitamin c, which is l-ascorbic acid. It would just be a better value to buy the pure stuff, not only that, it works better. Also, if you feel so inclined, the other ingredients are readily available as well. Some for around $5 in amounts that will be enough for 3 batches! If you want to read more essentialdayspa has some great recipies and advice. I just mixed up a batch of Kassy's CE Ferulic serum, which is a version of the very-expensive-and-popular-"ceuticals" brand (if you get my drift). So I will be reviewing that shortly. So anyways, love this Philosophy jar of wonder, but it's benefits can be had at a fraction of the cost :)

HG. Expensive, but worth it. I am trying my best to simplify my routine (am: purity w clairsonic, clinique moisture surge mixed with turbo boost; pm: neoutrogena makeup remover wipes, purity w clairsonic, clinique moisture surge with turbo boost, alternate alpha hydrox 10% w/ retin a micro/moisture surge 20 min after cleansing. Ole henrikson walnut complexion scrub 3x/wk, cortisone cream for occasional dry patches as needed). I have repurchased turbo boost several times in the past, but in my "simplifying" mindset had decided to stop for a while. Silly me! Without this,the few blemishes I had stayed around longer, my skin was dull/flaky from the RAM, blah blah blah. I could not figure out why my skin was being so ornery and not it's normal,happy glowing self. Just being bored and browsing one day, I came across reveiws about this product and how beneficial stablized vitamin c can be for your skin....all the stuff I know already... it got me thinking "maybe I should have never stopped using this..." my skin is evening out again (slight slight sundamage/freckles/ scarring in some places)This week (have been using this for 2 weeks), two different people on two different occasions commented on my skin ("what kind of foundation do you use? ", and somewhere along the lines of my makeup always looking perfect) confirmed I need this.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2012 2:26:00 PM More reviews by ltgee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

purchased at ulta for $35.00 plus tax. i use a scoop in the morning with my obagi c day lotion (i know my lotion already has some c in it but i have tough oily skin, its not sensitive) and then a scoop at night with my olay wrinkle cream. it burned just a tiny bit but in a good way, didnt hurt, just a slight stingy feeling. its very easy to mix, not gritty and there was no odor also (the metallic smell some people mentioned). my face definitely looks smoother and brighter for sure (i am 36 years old with an 8 year old child, long sleepless nights and i love the sun!). i love that its a powder and powders stay fresher than serums IMO. it's pretty expensive for such a small amount but not too expensive that i wouldnt repurchase it. i have been reading around and what im going to do next after running out is go onto amazon and buy my own powder and use the plastic scoop that came with this to make my own. seems easy enough! i also read that powders are more potent when mixed with creams/lotions that dont contain too much ingredients or water. such as cold cream or shea butter (but i would never put shea butter on my face!). it seems to be working well with the lotions i mentioned above. it can get a bit messy when trying to scoop out the powder from such a tiny opening, it would be better if the jar was squat and round then longer and narrow. good stuff!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/19/2012 3:15:00 PM More reviews by bella418

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Its true that this stuff is overpriced. Go to a health store and just look for a powder vitamin c (l ascorbic acid) if you're trying to save money. I feel like this stuff made my oily Skin too glowey for my liking. I had this for about 4 months and I noticed that when I take a break my skin clears up. It may be helping the scar fading slightly but then I get other acne to leave new marks behind.. its does help my skin retain moisture though. I have fussy skin so just because this didn't really benifit me doesn't mean it wont help others. I'm just one of those people that try new "miracle" products when in reality i can't tolerat a lot of stuff on my skin.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2012 7:46:00 AM More reviews by jossny80

I just bought this product a few days ago after reading the reviews on here. I was really hesitant because, not only do I have very oily and acne-prone skin, my skin is super sensitive and tends to react badly to a variety of products. In a simple statement - I LOVE THIS! I can already tell that my skin is more luminous and my acne is definitely a lot less noticeable. The only issue that I have noticed with this powder is that it doesn't work well with all primers.

I mix my powder with Philosophy Hope in a Jar oil-free SPF moisturizer. I previously was using Stila's One Step Correct primer and I noticed that when I tried to put the primer on my face after applying the booster, little white clumps would form on my skin and I would have to wipe them off. It was like the primer was clumping with the moisturizer and powder. Since I really like the SPF moisturizer, I decided to try a different primer (Too Faced Poreless) and it works like a charm.

Overall - say yes to this product!!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/4/2012 5:44:00 PM More reviews by drfiona

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm on my third bottle of this (I hardly ever finish my toiletries, I'm usually trying something new), and I really think it's hard to beat the glow your skin gets from this product. I'm a bit of a product-junkie but this is one of my most effective buys ever. Also lasts really well, nearly a year to finish the bottle.

BUT it stings a little on application, and I find whatever product I add it to tend to ball up on my skin. So now I use it at night when that matters less.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2012 8:48:00 PM More reviews by xiufey88

I would say I love this product. I have been used it for almost 2 weeks now, and I see visible result with it. My skin produce MUCH less oil throughout the day ( I have very oil T zone). Before I used the powder, I need to blot at less 3 -4 times at work, and my foundation usually melted down around 1pm during lunch time (I applied my make up at 8am in the morning). After I started using this powder I noticed I didnít need to blot AT ALL. My make up looks very fresh until 6pm DAILY. I apply 1 scoop of these powder mixed with my serum and applied on my face every morning, then my day cream and make up ectÖ.after I applied the serum , I felt my face a little burring and itchy. The feeling will be gone within 30 second. I am not sure if the oil control happen on anybody, but it happened on my skin. At first it dried my skin for a bit, but after one week, my dry patches have gone and leave very smooth, soft surface. I will repurchase it again once I finish this bottle.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2012 8:39:00 PM More reviews by bernsie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm probably on my 10th bottle of this. I love it as it acts as an additive to whatever lotion/cream I wish. It has L-Ascorbic Acid as it's active. This is a Stabalized form of topical Vitamin C. Stable is the operative word here as many Vitamin C facial lotions/creams will just have Ascorbic Acid as the active. This non-stabalized form of Vitamin C is USELESS as a topical active. I really love using this with a highly aggressive cream to really boost it to the ultimate of what my skin can tolerate. I like to push the skincare envelope and I do. It's the reason my skin looks as fresh, healthy, young, eventoned, firm, poreless, perfect as it does. I add this to a 25% Glycolic Cream I use. This cream stings normally upon initial application for a few minutes, but when I add this it burns (in a good way that I know it's working) and for more than a few minutes. I also like adding this to a Retinol cream I like as well. This additive really makes the difference. I love that it is a powder form as it will not dilute whatever (the actives) within whatever you're adding it to. It comes w/a measuring spoon (you are to add a level spoonful) that I sometimes will over heap or sometimes add 2 spoonfuls to my product. I know this sounds as if I'm not following directions, but I know what and particularly when my skin can tolerate this,
Topical Stabalized Vitamin C is a multi-tasker. It acts as an anti-oxident (keeping skin cells barriered against harmful external and internal antagonists) haulting the mutation of healthy skin cells into flawed ones. It also (my favorite) brightens the skin by fading uneveness/sun spotted/brown-age spots/freckles etc. It refines the look and texture of skin. I cannot go w/out the use of Stabalized Vitamin C in my skincare regine and this "booster" fits like a glove as I have such control of the amount and what I use it with. I feel a bit like a cosmetic chemist. It's a fun product to use as well. I would not be without it. Most Highly Recommended!!!!!!

10 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2012 6:27:00 AM More reviews by lilmi

Hmm still kind of on the fence with this one.
I've not been using it for long so I will definately update later.

Why I'm using it~
To help fade spots/discolourations/even out skin-tone.

Packaging~
Comes in a small bottle but can see it lasting a long time as the scooping spoon is really tiny so you don't really need to use much of it. The scoop thing can be a little tricky though, the neck of the bottle is pretty narrow so you need to be careful not to spill any of the product when you're trying to take some out.

Application~
Mixes in/Disolves easily into my moisturiser so application is pretty easy. Doesn't feel gritty or anything. Some days it does sting a little, nothing unbearable though.

Results~
Haven't seen much yet, it doesn't 'instantly' brighten your skin or give it a glow. Actually I don't know if anyone else experienced the same but it leaves a really clammy/sticky after-feel that doesn't go away. I know it's the powder because my moisturiser never does that. It's quite uncomfortable and annoying. Have had quite a few small breakouts but nothing major or cystic. I'll keep on using it to see if I get any actual results but so far doesn't seem too impressive so atm wouldn't repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/4/2012 4:01:00 PM More reviews by versace1008

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to love this but I didn't see any difference on my skin. I hated that it smelled like metal too and made my skin itchy, I could have gotten over that and the mixing if it actually did something and made my skin look amazing but it didn't...
It would last like 6 months since you only need a little bit. It might work for you, it just didn't work for me!