October 26, 2014 | 1039 users online

Pressed Powders - Kevyn Aucoin - The Celestial Powder: Candlelight

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2010 4:38:00 PM More reviews by sparklehead

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I wish after "Would you buy this product again?" I could select "YES, YES, YES! I'm fighting the urge to stockpile it now!" I was in love with this product from the first swipe of my brush.

Product: It's wonderful as a subtle highlighter but it definately can be built up for more highlight. My favorite way to use it is as a finishing powder all over my face. I don't know if you're supposed to do that but no one has told me I look weird haha! In fact, I've gotten compliments on my skin lately and I attribute it to the fact that I've switched to DiorSkin Nude liquid foundation with this to set it.

A lot of products claim to give you that "natural glow from within" but this powder is the real deal. It's very lightweight (you'd have to really try to get too much on your brush, it just doesn't pick up that way) and not even a little glittery. As others have said, it's kind of a champagne color, although the color doesn't show on my NC15-NC20 skin. Although its champagne colored it's not warm-toned, more neutral. I don't think the picture is that accurate on the color of the powder, on my computer it makes it look too peach. I think it would work for most skin tones and undertones (unless you're a DDD, then I'm really not at all sure how it would show up, would love to see someone expirament with it).

Price: I got this on a HauteLook sale for $17 so it was incredibly inexpensive considering how much I love it. I think it retails for $42, which is definately expensive, but after trying the product, is absolutely worth it.

Packaging: I'm not a huge fan of any of the Kevyn Aucoin packaging I own, and this is no exception. It's in an ugly brown plastic compact with gold accents that reminds me of the smell of cigars and is the color of fake wood siding in old grampa cars. The plastic feels cheap. It's not necessarily flimsy but I would be worried about it holding up if I tried to carry it in my purse every day. The compact has the pan with the powder and then a square below where the brush fits. You can't see it in the picture above, but In the area where the brush goes there are little round holes that go clear through the bottom of the compact so any extra powder drains out. I'm not really sure why the packaging designers thought this was a good idea - loose poweder floating around in my compact bothers me a lot less than loose powder draining out of my compact into my purse/makeup bag. If someone can explain why these holes are a good idea, I'd really like to know! I'm sure there was some rational thought process to adding them, I just don't get it.

I've actually found the brush useful for quick application or traveling. It's a small half-moon kind of brush, small but a nice size for either highlighting or trying to hit most of the face but it's not soft so you'll want to use your normal brush if it's around.

Overall: I wouldn't let the poor packaging steer you away from this product. They can package it any way they like because I'm still going to buy it!

14 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2010 3:25:00 PM More reviews by ankaz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I absolutely adore this product. It is a highlighter Iíve been looking for all my life. It gives a nice glow without being shimmery or sparkly. I have Albatross by Nars, High Beam by Benefit, and other highlighters but this one is by far the best. I donít like shimmer or glitter on my face.
A word of warning: when I apply it, it first kind of seats on my skin, but after a while, it just blends into it giving this perfect glow Iíve been after for such a long time.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2009 2:10:00 PM More reviews by Elissa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Really fantastic. I am addicted to this, personally, but also professionally (I am a mkp artist). There are alot of shimmery highlighters out there but this one is so subtle, the powder so finely milled, it doesn't look like makeup. Even in the harshest daylight, your skin looks soft and glowy. It photographs beautifully, as well.

24 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2009 12:20:00 AM More reviews by pinchopeach

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

so expensive but an awesome product! i'm oily in the t-zone so i'm very careful about putting any kind of shimmer or any sort of hightlighter on. this stuff is so finely milled and subtle that it does not make me look shiny in any way. the light has to hit you to really see the effect of this product.... glow glow glow~ no shine!! i like to wear this when i know i'm going out to dinner or somewhere where the lighting is right. HG

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2009 8:45:00 PM More reviews by redbeemerbabe

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my first KA product, and I have to say I'm so impressed! I hadn't read any reviews before I purchased it, so I didn't have any preconceived notions about it.

In the compact, it's a very, very pale peachy-pink. I didn't notice any scent, and I'm usually pretty scent-sensitive. Yesterday and today, I used it as a finishing powder, applying it with a buffer brush. OMG. It makes my skin look almost "angelic." It's the perfect amount of highlighting, and it takes very little to achieve the perfect look. The way it reflects light is unlike any highlighter I've used before.

Bottom line is that I've found a new HG. It may sound a bit silly, but this single product makes me feel pretty. I can't say that about too many products.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2009 8:32:00 AM More reviews by Jox3347

I purchased this product a few months back, wanting a highlighter that wasn't too shimmery, glittery or white. This is a beautiful taupey color that actually lands a glow to your skin, rather than shimmer. Looks great in the evening, reflects like soft candlelight on your face. I use this everyday as a cheekbone highlighter over my blush. As usual, another high quality product from KA. Beautiful compact, slim and has a decent brush for touch ups.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2008 6:20:00 PM More reviews by miranets

I've been wanting to try this for a long time... I know each KA product is unique and innovative. This is excellent! I would think Nars Nico/Albatross combo and the Dior LE Luminizer are suitable "dupes" but are not as refined. Nars gives a very refined SHEEN, whereas Dior's Luminizer is a shimmer-evident SHEEN. Now I prefer glow and luminosity, much claimed not often achieved. The only other product which I'd recommend for ultra refined luminosity is the Paul & Joe pressed powder N although its lasting abilities are shocking.

Anyhow back to the review. This is a nice warm neutral beige with a hint of peach. I would normally be discouraged to use anything with a hint of pink hues, but this does not give me any issues. I have some redness in my skin, and I am warm yellow undertones, therefore pinks are a no-go.

The mill of this powder is very fine, I use an A-squirrel blusher contouring brush to pick up the powder. Its lasting abilities are good, naturally it wears and softens, over a 12+ hour day... I would be tempted to go heavy handed with this for evening looks, and just apply to contour points for the day. continued >>

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2008 12:03:00 AM More reviews by niferphoto

The most beautiful highlighter I've ever used. I was addicted to NARS albatross before I tried this. While albatross is more of a white powder - this is more of a beige shimmer - so it looks more natural. It has the perfect name "candlelight" it really does look that way - like a warm accent of light where ever you apply. Love it!!!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2008 7:14:00 AM More reviews by sandrad9465

This is the most gorgeous illuminating powder ever. It attracts the light and also reflective. I wear this on my T, down the bridge of my nose, and on top of cupids bow. Its a hot product

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2008 6:37:00 PM More reviews by LelloGollilla

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For reference: MAC NW20, dry sensitive skin, medium pores (can see them when you are close. It is hard for me to wear pressed powder as they usually accentuate pores, fine lines and just generally look awful on me. This can be a setting powder or a highlighter if you want one with minimal shimmer. The formula is silky smooth and fine. It works like a light diffuser and a fine veil, everything other products promise but never deliver. After I dusted it on with a powder brush, it immediately seemed to know where to go!

I am new to KA products so I was unprepared for the very slim compact which I would think would offer no protection for this pretty expensive powder. If you wanted to carry it in your bag for touch ups, I would think it would shatter very easily. There is also a perfume-y smell to his powder products that I dislike intensely, but I am willing to overlook it because the quality is so very high here. Everyone needs to experiment with makeup to see what works for them, but I highly recommend giving this a try. They are available at sephora. The boxes look a bit roughed up BTW, so I am wondering if sephora got these after they were sitting around a while. No matter, the stuff inside is what counts and I am very pleased.

13 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No