October 20, 2014 | 1203 users online

Sunscreen - Peter Thomas Roth - Uber Dry Sunscreen SPF 30

rated 2 of 5 on 7/29/2010 12:47:00 PM More reviews by chabang

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This stuff definitely balls up under makeup as other reviewers have noted, even when used sparingly. Back it goes to Sephora.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2010 3:52:00 AM More reviews by mapn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I bought this sunscreen last autumn in the US, but it wasnít until now that I started using it. My initial reaction was positive: no unpleasant scent, lovely texture that absorbed quickly leaving a nice matte finish. After an hour or so, however, I noticed little flakes on my arms. The sunscreen had started to peel off! So annoyingÖ After a few daysí use Iíd also developed a bad rash on my face, arms, and neck, all the areas where Iíve applied the product. I suspect it was a photoallergic reaction, because the rash seemed to develop out in the sun when wearing the lotion. The culprit might be avobenzone, oxybenzone, or the combination of the two... Also, Iíve become very critical towards sunscreens that contain oxybenzone; In the EU, sunscreen products with 0.5% or more oxybenzone must be labeled with the warning "Contains Oxybenzone", because of it being a possible carcinogen. Iíd take that as a definite warning sign... Oh and one more thing: correct me if Iím wrong, but I think the avobenzone in this isnít photostable (there are no stabilizers in the ingredient list).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2010 10:13:00 PM More reviews by louy

Initially I loved this for the following reasons

1) Had a SPF of 30
2) Left my skin matte
3) did not irritate my skin
4) did not break me out
5) has antioxidants in it

However, lately I find it smells like stinky feet and I don't recall it smelling like that before. I'm not usually picky about smells but who want's to smell feet?!

I'm on my 2nd bottle and I will repurchase; However, if I smell the feet again it's over.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2010 5:13:00 PM More reviews by olelala

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I started using this after my disastrous experience with the new Shiseido SPF 60 lotion (see my separate review). I was looking for a fairly decent SPF, one that left a matte finish, was light and invisible on my skin, controlled oilies, acted as a makeup primer, which wouldn't break out my acne-prone skin. Sounds like a tall order, but basically these are all the qualities my old staple Shiseido SPF 55 lotion had. After reading the great reviews on MUA and loving several PTR products already, I couldn't resist buying the PTR Uber Dry.

My opinion after 2 months? It's a decent s/s. A solid 3 1/2, if MUA gave half lippies, but definitely not a 4. Here's the low down according to my original conditions:

PROTECTION FACTOR: While the formulation is no where near as strong as Shiseido's sun protection, it is good enough for the mostly-indoor-person-navigating-only-the-urban-jungle (me).

TEXTURE: It isn't the milky, thin, runny texture of Asian sunscreens like Shiseido and Sofina, it has the usual thick creamy texture characteristic of US and European formulations.

FINISH: Once smoothed over the skin and left for 1-2 minutes, it leaves a nice matte finish as promised. Does a fairly decent job at controlling my raging oilies, and it isn't as drying as Shiseido SPF 55 lotion (PTR is better for combination/dry skin types).

PRIMER QUALITIES: It just doesn't cut it if like me you're looking for a dual-purpose sunscreen/primer. It had a minimal to zero effect on keeping my makeup on.

SUITABILITY FOR ACNE-PRONES: Didn't break me out, so that was a major plus.

VALUE: 4 oz at $26 at Sephora, a definite win over Shiseido which is 3.3 oz $34.

It's definitely a great s/s, but unless you have chronic dry skin, it just isn't as good as the Asian sunscreens like Shiseido and Sofina. I've tried 'em all too. Hopes this helps! continued >>

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/23/2010 4:33:00 PM More reviews by madaket

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

to the best of my understanding, having read all the ss notepads, this ss is not photostable and will therefore break down and not provide the protection promised.

that's too bad because as everyone else has said, the texture is really nice and matte, which is hard to find in a ss.

someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but if it's not photostable, i don't see the point in purchasing it. why not just use a matte moisturizer?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2010 1:18:00 PM More reviews by Jocky80

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I use the murad oilcontrol spf15 as my daily sunscreen but on sunny days or days that I'm outside I want something with an higher spf so that I can be in the sun longer.
I love this! This isn't at all as the normal sunscreen. This is dry, not at all greasy, goes in fast and best of all you don't feel it on. The finish of it is matt-ish, not at all shiny and greasy.
This doesn't make me more greasy/shiny, has silica as 2nd ingridient so that it will help to absorb oil. I havn't use it under summer months but when May comes this is going to be my daily sunscreen. This hasn't made me breakout so I'm going to buy an extra so I can use it on my body when going to the beach this summer.
This is fragrance-free but it has an some smell (not that sunscreen smell), maybe from some plantextract...
Totally recommending it for oilier skintypes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2010 7:20:00 PM More reviews by Jill70

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Fabulous sunscreen for those of us who fight oiliness! More matte than Neutrogena Dry Touch -which I was never in love with, but was the best I'd found until now. No fragrance. Simply undetectable once it's on. Has not broke me out with 3+ weeks of daily use. Adds NO SHINE whatsoever. May they never stop making this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2010 2:57:00 PM More reviews by TampaBayGal

Super Uber! I do have to say I was amazed at how super dry it is! I've always been hesitant to put sunscreen on my face as they are normally so creamy/greasy...not this stuff! Wears very well under make-up. Check it out...it's loaded with antioxidents. Will definitely buy again!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2009 6:13:00 AM More reviews by karenlyn

This is my HG sunscreen. It goes on matte, looks great, doesn't go shiny on me even after I wear it all day (though I do have to do my usual blotting mid-day-- that never changes). You have to put it on just before your foundation and not let it dry too long, or it can tend to pill up a bit and come off when you rub your foundation on. Something I'd love to see fixed. But otherwise it's a PERFECT sunscreen. Feels great on, looks great on.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2009 11:17:00 PM More reviews by keyola

I have been looking for a good sunscreen for over 5 years.I have combination skin with a oily T zone area. I also wear make-up, trying to find a sunscreen that will not create a oil slick on my face by lunch time was almost impossible. I found this sunscreen in Sephora. I have been using it for about 2 weeks. So far I love it, It melts into your face quickly with out leaving the white film. it's doesn't even feel like I have anything on my face. And my skin has nice dry look.
It's also great under my make up!!!