August 30, 2014 | 1755 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Natural Instincts in 28 Nutmeg Dark Brown

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2009 3:28:00 PM More reviews by bela007

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I color my hair every 4-6 weeks. For years I've been using a "natural" brand that I buy at Whole Foods for almost $18. I liked the color I got but the price was killing me. I decided to try Natural Instincts because it was on sale for $5.99 with a $2 instint coupon. What amazing results!! I just dyed my hair with it for the second month and I am even happier this time around than I was before. The color is rich and my hair is more managable and way shiner than it ever was with my other brand.

The one thing I would like to mention however, is that the instructions for this hair color are a bit baffling to me. It says to apply to damp hair, I found that applying it to dry hair like other colors creates a deeper color. Additionally, the recommended time to leave the color in seems to be to short. I leave it in for 15 minutes after I finish coloring and it looks much more saturated but still doesn't stain my scalp.

I really really like this product and will continue to use it. Did I mention it has no ammonia and smells great! A+

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2009 12:58:00 AM More reviews by VintageVixen87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've been going from very light blonde (professionally done) back to brown due to not being able to afford the $140 salon visits anymore. I wanted to go a bit darker than my natural color, which is a light brown/dark mousey blonde. I started with a Wella medium golden brown color to be safe. Of course it faded to a medium golden blonde. Ick. I decided instead of risking dying it again I would put a non-permanent color on it. Since this one lacked some of the nasty chemicals I decided it would be a good one to go with. I wanted the color to stay so I went for a dark natural brown.

Dying was easy. I like Clairol's easy mixing. No measuring involved, it's nice. The only issue I had was that the bottle of conditioner that came with it was not made correctly. The bottle was literally sideways and the top of it wasn't sealed. Odd. Luckily I had another bottle from my Shine Happy experiment. Anyway, since my hair was all one color I put this on all of my hair at once. When I washed it out I was a little scared of the color I saw, it looked black. I dried it right away and it still looked blackish. Well, the ends did. My natural hair at the roots took to the color much differently. It actually brought out more red tones, so my roots are lighter and a little reddish. I decided I did like the color after looking at it and remembered it'd wash out a bit.

One thing I did LOVE was how healthy, good smelling, and full my hair was after using this and the conditioner. It looked amazing!

24 hours later, as recommended to wait, I washed my hair. I shampooed it twice and conditioned it. I noticed the water in the tub was brownish which made me happy because I thought it would lighten up a bit. It was still super dark looking wet, obviously. I put in some wave spray and let my hair air dry. After it was 90% dry I inspected it carefully. The color had nicely evened out and was a beautiful shade of dark brown with a reddish shine. I think my hair turned it brassy but it sure doesn't look bad. My roots look more tamed and blend in with the rest of my hair a bit better.

I will totally buy this product again in this shade. Next time I think I'll spend more time on my roots and go from there!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2009 1:11:00 AM More reviews by livelaughlove181

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I used to have naturally very dark brown hair, almost black. But when I started getting highlights and as I got older, it began to get lighter. Still a dark brown, but the warm coloring made it a little blondish. So I used this product and LOVED IT. It worked amazing, smelled great, and left my hair very soft and shiny. The color has also lasted very well without fading. I would definitely buy this again, and plan on buying it again when this fades!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2009 3:09:00 PM More reviews by Tina68

My review is for the shade Nutmeg. I have naturally very dark hair, almost black and Nutmeg was a good shade for me. My hair turned out dark brown, but in the sunlight it had a reddish-brown tinge to it that I liked alot. I have been using Colour Spa for several years and actually prefer it to Natural Instincts. But those living in Canada know that finding Colour Spa is a challenge since it is not widely carried anymore. Hence why I used Natural Instincts...it is easily available at SDM. I like the formula of Natural Instincts a lot. It is thick and not as runny as Colour Spa. Plus, the application time is a lot less, it is easier to mix and you get a 6-week supply of conditioner. While Nutmeg was as dark as I had anticipated, it did not cover my gray very well. In fact, I had grays peaking out less than a week after colouring and I colour to cover the gray. I may need to leave the colour on longer than the recommended 10 minutes next time. I also noticed that my hair was not as shiny or soft after using this, especially where my hair is parted it looked dull and kind of frizzy.I am returning to Colour Spa in the meantime and stocking up on it. But if I'm ever in a pinch, I would use Natural Instincts again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2009 1:38:00 PM More reviews by mooshrimp

Awhile ago I decided to go red in a box. It looked good, but left my hair super damaged from the lightening and once the color faded I had a hideous orangey color left over. In an act of desperation I decided to try this because supposedly it is non-damaging and would eliminate the gross brassiness from my last color. When I first washed it out my hair looked jet black and I was panicking a little, but after I let it air dry I realized I had this perfect shiny gorgeous dark brown. No more red either! I was thrilled and so many people noticed how much better my hair looked. While my hair wasn't in BETTER condition after using (it is still a dye), it didn't seem to damage it at all. I highly recommend this stuff!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2009 6:13:00 PM More reviews by suzanneb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Nutmeg keeps my hair looking shiny and fab in between colorings, it never leaves my hair crunchy or dry and my hair has a lot of bounce and volume after I use it, my natural color is dark neutral brown, this color has a touch of warmth but is never red which I avoid like crazy. Will forever buy this shade.
Oct 29, 2013: came full circle, back to using Nutmeg again, hair looks shiny and rich, not luxurious like Mocha but that will be my next color.
Nov 4, 2013: retouched the red parts that I missed and when I was done I used a spray bottle to distribute everything, the color came out even, all one color, no fading parts or red parts, a true miracle. The color looks mega dark brown, one step below black, if black is a level 1, this color is a level 2, no red, warm or gold tones, neutral leaning towards ash, same as my natural color.
Dec 15, 2013: had to re color today, hair got really red again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2008 2:51:00 PM More reviews by rebchandler

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Figured I'd go ahead and review this product, since I have used it hundreds (literally) of times! I love to color my hair often...and in doing so, have had many uneven and just plain bad hair colors. This is a product I always turn to to fix my mistakes! I've probably been using this over the last 15 years. My hair is naturally very dark brown (although I haven't seen my "natural" color in forever). Anyway, anytime I want to return to my color without harming my overprocessed hair any further, I turn to Natural Instincts. It doesn't matter what damage or color I've put on my hair, Natural Instincts Nutmeg always returns it to a dark, shiny healthy looking brown. And, it usually lasts until I decide to do something different to my hair! In fact, even though this is a sem-permanant color...the fading is very minimal on me & I don't think I've ever seen it fade completely out. I know this review is for Nutmeg...but I've also used Rosewood (deep reddish brown), Cinnaberry (medium reddish brown) and some of the blonde shades as toner when I've bleached my hair. I've always been happy with all the shades I've used, although Nutmeg does seem to give me the most even color (probably because it is easiest to dye all of your hair dark). I will say that when they changed the packaging a few years back...they put a picture of a girl on the front & her hair looks more dark golden brown. Do not be mistaken...this color comes out truly dark brown (without being black). I can see where someone who is used to a lighter hair color would mistake this for black when they first see it on their hair! But it is not, it is very true to its decription of Dark Neutral Brown. Anyway, I highly recommend this to anyone and it is definitely a HG for me!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2008 5:50:00 PM More reviews by riffrandal

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Beautiful dark brown, high shine, rich shade. I have very fair skin and hazel eyes and this color is perfect on me. Not too dark, but just right. I love this color because it is neutral without being bland. I was afraid of the color turning out too dark after reading some of the reviews here, so I followed the instructions exactly, leaving it on my roots for 5 minutes, then blending through the rest of my hair and leaving on for an additional 5 minutes. I might leave it on a bit longer next time as it does not appear quite as dark as the color my haircolorist used last time (she used a professional non-permanent hair color in a similar shade but left it on for at least 20 minutes). I do not have greys so I can't say if it covers grey or not. I normally have my hair professionally hightlighted every 3 months, but my very fine hair was starting to display a lot of damage. Last time I went in for my haircolor appointment my hairstylist recommended a non-permanent hair color to help my hair recover from past damage. I was amazed at how healthy my hair looked and felt. Clairol Natural Instincts leaves me with the exact same healthy, shiny look and feel. I'm curious to see if it lasts as long as the professional shade.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2008 8:18:00 PM More reviews by rosiel776

i wanted DARK BROWN hair, however, it turned out JET BLACK! what a nightmare.the only thing i liked about it was its ammonia free and didnt stink like the l'oreal products
now i'm stuck with JET BLACK hair and would probably need to go to a salon and fix it.UGH

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2008 11:01:00 AM More reviews by MIJA_97

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is the best hair color I have ever found-NO amonia!!! The shade is sooooooo nice too it gives you a GREAT shine and it lasts more than the 28 shampoos!! I WILL definately buy this product again! A++++