October 30, 2014 | 1360 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Sonia Kashuk - Blending Sponge

rated 4 of 5 on 6/30/2011 11:50:00 PM More reviews by sremmers123

I've always wanted to try the famed BeautyBlender sponge but I just couldn't justify spending $18.00 on a little sponge. Especially since I had never tried the sponge method before. When shopping at Target, I found the SK Blending Sponge and picked it up. I feel like $10 is a bit expensive for this sponge but I still coughed up the money. (I've just recently bought a $5 one from Ulta that works exactly the same.) After a few days of the sponge method, I was in love! It makes the foundation look so natural.

There are a few things that I don't like about this sponge though. First of all, it's hard. When I see people on YT using the BB, it seems so bouncy and soft. This one isn't. It doesn't expand when you get it damp like the BB. I've found that it can be painful around the eye area if you're not careful. It soaks up some product but I can't compare it to the BB, since I don't have one. Another thing I don't like is that this sponge stains easily. I wash this regularly and will just not come clean! I've had this sponge for six months I'd estimate (I really have zero idea though!) and it's only just beginning to lose pieces. I think that's because I accidentally get it caught on my piercings though, haha.

This is a nice sponge, a little pricey though. If you have access to Ulta, I'd say head there and grab their sponge instead. It's half the price and does the exact same thing!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2011 11:35:00 PM More reviews by halfpastsunday

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

After using this sponge, I do not think I can ever go back to applying foundation with a regular brush. Using the blending sponge has completely changed the way I apply my make up. It flawlessly applies my foundation and makes nearly every foundation formula that I have tried look completely natural. I use the larger, rounded end to pat on my foundation and then I use the pointed end to apply my under eye concealer. It works amazingly well for both! I have been using my sponge every single day since mid-March and it does not look worn at all. It is also only slightly stained due to the fact that I do not wash it every single time that I use it. However, I have found that using a regular face cleanser or baby shampoo removes traces of make up off of the sponge quite well. I will without a doubt be repurchasing this sponge again the future. I have been using my sponge now for nearly four months and I do not think I will need to repurchase one again for another 3-4 months.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/19/2011 3:56:00 PM More reviews by JulesTheLittleSpoon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this recently hoping to find a quicker way to put my foundation on in the morning. I like using my Clinique foundation brush but it takes a little longer to buff out any streaks. I've tried it with liquid foundation, loose powder, and pressed powder. While it does create a nice, buffed, natural look with the foundation, it isn't any better than what I can achieve with a brush. The reason why I will not be repurchasing and probably never using it again is because it makes my face feel disgusting and heavy!!! Maybe it's because I have oily skin and the water makes the products heavier than I need them to be, but it makes my face feel dirty and sweaty. I haven't found anyone who's had this problem so maybe I'm an anomaly. I'll stick with my foundation brush.
OH! I forgot to add. As far as cleaning it I had no issue- it cleaned easily. I used the Sonia Kashuk brush and sponge cleanser. I sprayed it thoroughly and squeezed it under running water. The foundation poured right out. It took a little bit of time to get all of the cleanser out, however, but I think I might have used too much.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/25/2011 11:21:00 AM More reviews by sassenachtiff

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this sponge to see if I'd like the foundation application better than the results I'd been getting with brushes. I also wanted to test the waters and see if this was a good substitute for the Beauty Blender. I like the Sonia Kashuk sponge--I used it dampened with water, with the excess squeezed out. I applied my foundation by bouncing the sponge on my face (similar to the BB technique). My application was seamless. The sponge started to show wear after a few months of daily use. I chose not to repurchase it and switched to the Beauty Blender, which I love. But for the price of the Sonia Kashuk sponge, you get great results and I recommend it if you're on a tighter budget.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2011 1:13:00 AM More reviews by Banjos

After much consideration I finally decided to buy this sponge. Very glad I did as it is just the right texture to pick up the correct amount of my Lucy Mineral powder, and applies smoothly without the powder flying everywhere (which can and does happen with most brush applications). It is a very versatile shape and the texture is subtly flocked. The pointed end is very handy to use on the sides of the nostrils and for blemishes. At $10 it is pricey but should last a long time with just using it for powder applications. I cannot compare it with the popular Beauty Blender as I have never tried that one.
EDIT: Unfortunately, this is tearing up rather quickly, especially as I have not used it that much.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2011 4:54:00 PM More reviews by tricyclesinskirts

I have both the original blue sponge that is pictured, and the newer one, which is purple. I'd heard of beauty blender when i saw this the first time (years ago,) and was excited to try this out...I mean, it's a sponge, right? Can't be that difficult to clone.

Well, when it comes to the BB, the SK version is an awful substitute. After the first blue one I had started falling apart, I purchased the purple one assuming it was a better version. Nope. It cracked too, and neither one of them is even close to being as soft as the BB. SK doesn't expand properly when wet, and it absorbs MORE product--not less--than the BB. This was obvious upon washing the SK, in addition to having to use a lot more product than with the BB, which I finally purchased after trying Ulta's shoddy attempt to dupe the OG beauty blender.

In sum, i spent--2 SK sponges @ $9.99+1 Ulta sponge@$5=resulting in $25 wasted in the name of saving money...whereas the BB cost $25 total for 2 sponges from drugstore.com.
In sum, don't try and save yourself money on the dupes...they aren't worth it. I wasted more money than i saved, promise you.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/8/2011 11:08:00 AM More reviews by Blplunk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was debating between this & the BB, since I have never owned either one I decided to start with the cheaper version first. I have the blue one as pictured. I played with it last night & did my makeup with it this morning & I really like the way this works with my double wear from Estee Lauder. I did not notice the smell others have mentioned & I have a pretty sensitive nose? You have to be really careful with your finger nails so that you're not digging them into it. Haven't tried cleaning it yet. But if you put a wet sponge in the microwave for about a minute it supposedly kills all bacteria on the sponge without having to scrub the thing. It's latex free which is good for me since I'm allergic. So far I'm impressed! I will update when I've used it longer as to how it holds up, but it gave a beautiful finish to my makeup this morning. :)

EDIT* I still like this sponge, but it got me even more curious about the BB sponge, so today I broke down & ordered a 2pk of the BB sponges for 24.99!! I will update again once I can compare the two :)

UPDATE* I got my 2 pack of BB's yesterday & played around with it last night & used it to apply my makeup this morning. I do like the BB better. It's softer and I think easier to apply with for that reason. Smoother application. This is still a good sponge but if you're debating between the two. I would just do the BB. You can find good deals online that make it only a few dollars more than this sponge :)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2011 1:01:00 AM More reviews by candaaance

I love this blending sponge, it fits into every corner on my face and blends like a dream. It gets four stars just because it is impossible to clean and spending $10 on something that doesn't last very long isn't ideal. Mine actually started to come apart after washing it the first time. :(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2011 9:58:00 AM More reviews by glossyxlipz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

I actually hate that I like this. I used it with my cheap DS foundation with no expectations and it came out wonderfully. It is also great for applying setting powder. I like it much better than my MAC brush.

But I can't get past that sinking feeling I get when I use it because I know I will have one hell of a time cleaning it. I am almost reluctant to use it because I don't look forward to the cleaning. Although I love the results, I don't have time to clean this everyday, so I might be able to only use it for special occasions. I also do not like the smell of it, which is rubbery. I am not sensitive to smells, but something about this one bothers me for some reason.

Despite these cons, I will consider repurchasing again or I might go and try the beauty blender.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2011 10:38:00 AM More reviews by beckyb88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I absolutely love this sponge. It works so well with liquid foundation. I have not tried this with powder, but I am sure it still would do a great job. I wash this with my regular makeup brush cleanser. It does stain after a few uses, but that's a given. Just like any sponge, you have to replace this often because the top begins to not be as pointy and it looks a little dingy.