Jane Iredale Powder-Me SPF Dry Sunscreen

4.1

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) 15% Ingredients: Mica (CI 77019), Montmorillonite, Boron Nitride, Isopropyl Jojobate, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract. May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)

I have acne-prone, sensitive, oily skin, and just about every sunscreen I have used has either broken me out, or contributed to my oiliness in some form (full list of what I've tried is on my notepad). I actually gave up on sunscreen a month ago, but talked myself back into the Quest for the HG a week later. Enter this product! It probably is not as effective as a liquid sunscreen because I don't think that it covers surface area as thickly, BUT: it does not break me out. It does not make me oily. It makes a great primer, as my powder foundation (also JI) slides right on top of it, and it keeps my makeup in place throughout the day (and I have long hard days). And since it's a physical sunscreen, I'm pretty sure there's no need to reapply (pls. PM me if that's not the case!) In short, it is exactly what I needed. I use the translucent under 'bisque,' so I can't speak to whether or not it's whitening (because I'm already fair to begin with). I tap it on with the puff thingy and use a powder brush to smooth it out. I'm very happy!

on 10/23/2008 1:51:00 PM

Unusual product. It looks like facial powder but the purpose is sunscreen. The powder goes into (=falls into) a center hole in an attached large sponge and you press the whole thing to your face. I have sensitive skin and can't tell yet whether it irritates my skin as I'm using it during an already-existing rosacea flare-up.
The pros: (1) the ingredients look fairly innocent (see a review below for list) so hopefully it won't cause skin problems, (2) the powder goes on decently--I applied it over a light moisturizer and it didn't cake, didn't settle into lines badly, etc.
The cons: (1) Can't tell how thick it must be applied to get the 30 SPF in the title--obviously too many layers would look really powdery, (2) the light color (I got translucent) is a little too light even though I have fair skin--made me look pasty white, (3) didn't seem to stay on for a long time, (4) hard-to-clean sponge: since the sponge is attached to the bottle of powder via a thick ring of sponge that pops out inside the bottle, it must be pulled out for cleaning, then stuffed back in the opening after cleaning--a pain in the neck, (5) the bottle must be tipped in a such a way for the powder to go in the sponge--not sure how well it will work as the bottle empties.

It's pricey ($44) for results that seem iffy in terms of how much coverage you actually get. I wouldn't re-purchase.

Update: Tried using it again after the rosacea flare subsided and it kept burning/irritating my skin although the ingredients looked innocent. Believe it may be the pomegrante extract--per web research, looks like pomegrante extract may contain a very high amount of ellagic acid and according to an MSDS (material safetey datasheet) ellagic acid may cause skin irritation. I took off two more lippies. This product is unusable for me.

on 9/30/2008 9:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I was on the look out for new powder, and i happened to see this while i was at a natural pharmacy store. I immediately fell in love with the packaging. It is a round container, that has a powder sponge on the end, so all you do is apply directly from bottle. The top also has a mirror which is convenient. I love that it has SPF 30, or rather that, that is its main purpose. It is very easy to wear and use. I also put a little more on my cheeks and its a great natural bronzer. This is my HG product for the face. It works as a mineral makeup, SPF,and blush/bronzer for me. I am loving it.
Only problem is the cost, i bought it at full prize which with tax is almost 50. Next time i think i will scout for a sale.
I have this is in tanned.

on 7/29/2008 9:23:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I just started using this sunscreen and so far I really like it. I got it in the Allure Sunbox which is packed with full and sample sized products for around $30.00 (I think it is a summer promotion they do every year) so it was definitley a bargain. I have oily, acne prone skin so sunscreens are a challenge for me but this one is a no brainer. I use Clinique City Block SPF 25 under my makeup and then apply this sunscreen over my makeup as a final step and it gets rid of the shine and offers me bit more protection. No breakouts or adverse reactions either. Great product.

on 7/25/2008 12:50:00 PM

This product is simply amazing. I have been looking for a sunscreen for a while now that didn't make my face greasy and disgusting, but found every sunscreen lotion to do just that. I happened to come across this powder sunscreen and it seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. Well, it most definitely is. I ordered the translucent off of a popular auction site for $25.00 which isn't too bad considering how long this product lasts. I love the fact that since it's zinc oxide you can use it right before going out into the sun. Also, it has a great finish almost like mineral makeup a bit without really intending to have that purpose. I don't like the applicator but I just use the back part of it to apply. I will keep ordering this for sure. It is soo much better than a lotion, I wonder why no one thought of this before.

on 7/1/2008 8:07:00 PM

This is by far my favorite thing I own right now. Just a tiny bit protects my skin from the sun and stays water and sweat resistant until I wash it off. I use it on my arms and legs also. It's amazing!

on 6/15/2008 3:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I really liked this product. I tried the Colorscience Sunforgettable sunscreen powder but it clogged my pores horribly and felt very dry on my skin because of the bismuth in it. This one was much better. As with all physical sunscreens, if you don't exfoliate and use a good cleanser they will sit on your skin and eventually clog pores but following those guidelines this one was fine on my skin, unlike the damage that Colorscience did to my pores.. which even micro-dermabrasion couldn't undo right away! I'm ultra fair with very sensitive combo skin but I liked how the powder was very finely ground and not at all chalky like the Colorscience stuff. My only gripe is that I can imagine after a few uses the little puff is going to start getting a little dirty but if it is not removable I'll probably just switch to a brush and dip it in or something. My skin has a lot of redness in it and I liked that if I put this on it in translucent it evened it out almost like a very light colored version of my mineral makeup...Then all I had to do was add some concealer here and there for spot treatment and brush some powder bronzer on and a little blush to bring more of my color back. It's a small price to pay for not burning up in the sun! This powder also kept the oiliness of my t-zone at bay too, which was nice.

on 6/10/2008 7:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I bought this sunscreen thinking it was the answer for my oily and acne prone skin.....I was wrong! I got the slightly tan color and when I put it on It looks like I put way too much fake tanner on my face. It was horrible and it made my face feel itchy and it cost $44!!! I am done with mineral anything.