April 18, 2014 | 1865 users online

Moisturizers - Avocado Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2012 1:02:00 PM More reviews by hwnpunch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I originally bought this as an oil treatment for my hair. It's one of the few along with coconut and olive that penetrate the hair shaft and and moisturize instead of just sealing moisture in. I've used both of the other oils and while they work well coconut tends to leave my hair feeling a little stiff after repeated use. Similar to protein overload. Olive can be a bit heavy for my medium fine hair but it's great after a chemical treatment a. Avocado is by far my favorite. It's not too heavy and makes my hair nice and soft. I massage 8-10 drops into my scalp at night before bed and wash it out in the morning. I also add a little in with my normal conditioner. It leaves just enough behind that I don't need a leave in and my hair blow dries bouncy and shiny with no oily residue and much less frizz. I also use this on my skin before drying off after a shower. The water helps spread it evenly and I towel off any excess. The rest absorbs fast and doesn't leave me greasy just nice and soft all day. While it does work well for my face I only use it there when I'm wearing a mineral powder makeup. It's a bit much for my skin when using a liquid or TM. I bought a refined 100% organic food grade brand from my local grocery store for around $12 and transferred it to a pump bottle. I'm not sure if unrefined avocado oil would provide better benefits but this is working great for me so far.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2012 5:11:00 PM More reviews by mmmmary

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have learned to be very careful with oils and other botanical ingredients because they can do horrible things to my skin. Avocado oil, however, is a product that works fantastically well for me. Lately I've been using it as my nighttime moisturizer every night -- just three drops patted all over my face, eyes & neck is all that's needed. Sinks in very quickly and no breakouts! Just lovely, clear, firm & refined skin. I believe it contains Vitamin A, which would help to explain the refining & firming properties. I have issues any time I try a retinol product but maybe this can give me the same long-term benefits without the irritation? I am experimenting with patting it around my eyes before I wash my face to help protect from the drying effects of water and I think it's helping. I also use this several days a week on my body and rarely have to use any lotion or other product post-shower on the other days due to how moisturized the avocado oil leaves my skin.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2012 5:32:00 PM More reviews by Chicagobabe89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought avocado oil for a few reasons. The first one was for cooking. But I ended up just using it solely for my body. I love this oil. In the winter, my skin can get very dry and tight, and this oil keeps it very moisturized. One thing about body oils that I tend to notice is that your skin feels great for a few hours, if that, and you notice the dryness and tightness again. I don't notice this with avocado oil. After my shower, I'd put it on and my skin would feel great until my next shower. My only complaint is that it's a little bit expensive, but I do think it's worth the price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2012 3:30:00 PM More reviews by kimorris

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have tried a few oils and so far have found that avocado is one of the best oils for my dry skin and much more moisturising than jojoba, olive, hemp, macadamia and almond oil. For my face, I use the avocado oil undiluted. As it's a thick oil, I dilute this down with a lighter oil if I'm using it on my body to help it spread more easily, such grapeseed oil or macadamia if I need extra moisturising - whatever I've got on hand really.

My skin is so much softer, moisturised, plumper and more radiant since using this. The oil is green in colour and has an obvious avocado scent. I love avocados, but I'm not too keen on the scent that close to my face, but it doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it. I really appreciated this oil when I was on the Obagi system and it is also good when using with Retin A. Best of all, this is cheap and completely natural. I buy mine organic and cold pressed from the grocery aisle.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2012 3:47:00 PM More reviews by Snowblind

I have rosacea so I have always been looking for the simple and natural ways to take care of my skin. Cosmetics bought from the store always seemed to only do harm by clogging the pores, drying the skin and making my face red like never before. Unfortunately natural options weren't that much better. I've tried every oil you can imagine starting from olive oil and ending with the more exotic Argan and rosehip oil. The latter two were the only ones that my skin agreed with but I didn't find them very moisturising. My face felt dry in the mornings and the lines under my eyes kept multiplying the 6 months I kept up with them two. In fact my friend started to use rosehip oil and I've seen her wrinkles get noticeably worse :-/ Since I had the same experience I decided to only use it on scars, which it's good at fading. Argan oil alone didn't seem to sink into my skin for some reason.

I was ready to go back to real cosmetics since the natural options didn't seem to do any good. I was pretty much done with all the hype around natural oils to be honest. (Everyone raves about coconut oil, yet it is the most drying and damaging thing I have ever put on my skin!) But as I was eating my avocados I decided to google avocado oil and see if people have used it on their faces. Turned out a lot of people had used it so I decided to give natural options one more chance. I'm glad I did. This is the only thing that has ever moisturised my dry skin. It's a miracle for me! No matter what I have used, they either sit on top of the skin causing pimples or are so light that they do absolutely nothing. My skin has always suffered from dryness and I got those dry lines all over my eyes although I'm only 27yo and a male. None of my friends have those kind of lines at this age. For the first time my skin is moisturised. I use this at night and wake up with a soothed skin. I use it on my lips aswell and feel like Lana Del Rey when I wake up. My lips are that plump! And what's more bizarre is that this works like magic for under eye area. I didn't know it was even possible for eye wrinkles to go away. The lines are still there when I look really closely but this oil has made them less deep.

All in all I'm extremely happy with avocado oil. So happy that I was thinking about not writing this review since I want to keep it as my beauty secret haha! Several web pages cite studies about avocado oil increasing the amount of collagen in skin etc. Don't know about that since I feel like there are ridiculous amounts of hype around oils that do no good (i.e. Coconut oil). But it is an excellent moisturiser for dry skin and it's enough for me. No clogged pores even, just extremely soft and supple skin. I've even started to use it as a body lotion. It's funny really, I've tried every exotic little oil yet the answer was my favourite fruit I eat almost every day.

I guess it's all about trial and error with natural oils. A lot of people here seem to love jojoba, some argan and some rosehip even. I thought people were raving about oils just for the sake of it but avocados made me a convert. Now I know it's just a matter of finding the right oil for one's skin type. Avocado oil is great for people with dry skin like me.

29 out of 30 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/28/2012 12:42:00 PM More reviews by Dinamite

This oil did not agree with my skin at all and broke me out in spots (I think the avocado oil is too thick). Subsequently I purchase YAH by Mama Nature that has avocado oil and rosehip oil and it is much lighter. This has been much better for my skin and i will not change to another oil as i don't want to upset my skin balance again.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/27/2012 3:23:00 PM More reviews by tempescape

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

NOW BRAND. DO NOT BUY THIS. This is either not pure, is used with hexane or some other derivative.
Week1: Bought the Now brand not expecting it to do anything much other than sit on top of my skin. It didn't. It melted right in and made me skin really soft. It's totally different to any other oil i've tried. I'm about to mix some with pure shea butter and coconut oil to use on my skin. Interesting.....
2 week update: OK folks, here is the update. The first bottle of thins brand of avocado oil I bought was fine. I used the whole bottle within a week as a hair conditioner and for my skin. Jump to 2 days ago. I was so impressed with it I went back to Fairway Market where they had a ne batch and bought another bottle. This time though on opening it, it had a completely different smell. The last bottle was really strong and kind of nutty/fruity smelling and was a yelow green, this one smelled exacty like the vegetable cooking oil I fry with and it was much thinner and a bright yellow like strong pee. I also have a bottle of real avocado cooking oil from Spectrum that smells like the oil should. I tried some of the Now brand on my skin alone and it didn't melt in. Instead it dried my face out just like other oils. I used it alone for 2 days on my body and this morning I was horrified to find the whole of my body from head to toe covered in what looks like little red spots, my face i spuffed up and my eyes are itching. I've never had this before in my life. I had to scrub my skin, scrub my scalp with Bronners soap and then wash everything I wore the previous week immediately in order to get rid of the oil. The bumps are obvious, raised and red (and i'm a chocolate skinned black person so if bright red it's showing up on my skin you KNOW it's serious) like a severe skin rash. I'm about ot take my antihistamine tablets and unfortunately will crash into a sleep coma and miss completingmy essay because of it. I am NOT impressed. Please, if you're thinkin of buying this buy the real thing.

10 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2012 3:02:00 AM More reviews by mg84

I recently purchased a small bottle of avocado oil because I had been thinking about using it as a body moisturizer after showering. But, one of the first things that I actually did was try it out on my lips. My lips had been feeling very dry / chapped recently, and my usual lip balm didn't seem to be helping very much. I applied a bit of the avocado oil to my lips, and then applied my regular lip balm on top. After doing this for a few days, I was pleasantly surprised because I could see and feel a real difference. The oil seems to absorb well, and it feels like it's repairing the dry skin. I've also tried using the oil on my legs, since the skin there tends to get quite dry / flaky for me at times. I think it's doing a good job for that purpose as well, and the skin stays well-moisturized for a long time. Based on my experience so far, I would like to keep using this oil.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/24/2012 12:35:00 AM More reviews by EmJay31

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought avocado oil because my usually oily skin was really dry from using benzoyl peroxide. On the plus side, my skin looked amazing after i put it on - it felt moisturised and smooth. However...after a couple hours I reacted to it, and developed a horrible rash over my face and neck - small red, itchy bumps. It was sooo bad! Not only did it look terrible it felt terrible, and it eventually cleared up after a couple days.
Judging by the good reviews, this product is great for many people but I would really really recommend patch testing this before using it...better safe than sorry :)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2012 10:06:00 PM More reviews by DuchessofGrapes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love avocado oil! As someone who suffers from dry skin (even in Hawaii) and makes all their own products, this has been such a good find. It does smell a little funny, but I make my own night face oil with a few oils and some essential oils, so I can't really even smell it. It's so full of antioxidants and great fatty acids that it's perfect for the face. I also use it in my body oil recipe (which I posted in my review of sunflower oil) and my skin is glowing, healthy and moisturized. I wouldn't be without it again!