Maybelline Volum' Express The Hyper Curl

3.3

on 12/22/2011 11:01:00 PM

I would give this 3.5 stars if I could. When I first bought it, I hated it - the formula was really thin and did absolutely nothing for my lashes. Hoping that it would thicken over time, I left it untouched for a couple of weeks and ta-da, when I pulled it back out the formula had dried out a little, leaving me with really nice fluttery lashes after one coat. That being said, any attempt to layer this mascara to get even thicker lashes only resulted in the opposite - two coats made them look clumped together and feeling quite stiff. So while I do think this is a decent mascara once it has dried out a little, there are others that I decidedly prefer.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Cute packaging! I wish I didn't throw it and just keep the empty tube. This mascara is just simply curl your lashes without makes them fuller nor longer..if you don't want dramatical effect, this is for you, and because the formula is very thin/light it didn't smudge on my eyelid

on 4/12/2011 12:28:00 PM

Wow, I'm surprised by some of the bad reviews here! I read these after I bought the mascara so I was pretty anxious to wear it out. Well, I did and here's the review.
I originally got this mascara because it was...
1. Cheap
2. Good packaging - thin container makes it easier to put into handbags, clutches (i have prom coming up!)
3. I needed to buy a mascara quick for prom.

The wand is great. It combs out and separates lashes at the same time. However, it does deposit too much product onto my eyes. I'm sure it won't do that when it dries up a bit.
I read that it ran within 3 hours of application.
BULLPOOP. I wore it for the whole day in school. I have super super oily lids, I did sports AND I took a 4 hour nap before cleaning my make up.
I don't usually write long reviews but I think this mascara needs to be defended and deserved fair judgement!
tada

on 3/8/2011 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Tested on my thick, long droopy lashes:

Volume: none
Curl: none
Staying power: none

on 1/8/2011 2:40:00 AM

Lots of girls in Asia love this mascara so I wanted to give it a try. I had to purchase this mascara online because it was no longer available in the US. I paid between $10-15usd after shipping.

After finishing the tube I would say this is an ok mascara. It does a nice job volumizing, has a convenient curved brush, and cute pink and black packaging.

It did however give me light panda eyes after a few hours and I didn't really see a curling difference versus a regular non curling mascara. I still used a curler before and after applying.

on 11/8/2010 10:08:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I love this mascara! It's cheap- like 250 pesos here in the Philippines. Plus, it's waterproof, does not flake and the wand makes application easy! Even if it is waterproof, it easily washes off with soap and water. It doesn't smear even if I don't use a primer on my eye area. Definitely value for my money! Heck, I like this compared to Maybelline's colossal mascara.

on 10/21/2010 5:37:00 AM

I have straight downwards lashes, so I definitely have to curl my lashes prior to applying the mascara. It does not hold the curl on the first coating, my lashes wilt immediately. I need to wait them dry, re-curl my lashes (just crimp them on the tips) and apply the second coating. The curl can stay for 4 hours. I dont see the purpose of hypercurl as printed on the tube, it works just the same with the other maybeline volume express turbo boost.

on 8/12/2010 11:25:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I'm using this in brown and love how it makes my lashes look naturally defined and thicker. Great for daily office wear. Holds the curl well (I always use eyelash curler to give it a curl boost before applying mascara). It does not lengthen the lashes. This does not smudge even after 10 hours in a hot & humid climate. I have very oily lids and almost all mascaras give me panda eyes but this didn't. It's easy to remove. I will definitely repurchase this.

on 6/24/2010 1:26:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I'm totally sold on this mascara. I was faithfully devoted to Lancome mascaras for over 15 years until I discovered this. My lashes are naturally curly but all my Lancome mascaras make them droop, and I've always been too lazy to curl my lashes. This mascara holds my natural curl all day and if I brush more on the tips I get that wide-eyed look all day. This is also my first waterproof mascara and I'm thrilled I can finally define my lower lashline without any smudging. I just press the wand gently against my lower lashline and I get instant definition! No flakiness, no smudges. Love it. I'm on my second tube now.

on 5/7/2010 8:10:00 AM

Bought this in brown by mistake, but it's a mistake I've learned to love. I like the natural look the color gives my lashes. It holds whatever curl I've done for my lashes sufficiently and gives me a wide-awake look. It doesn't smudge BUT I think I've encountered some flakes in the past... still, I love this. Brush is OK though its size makes me scared about poking it in my eye somtimes. This already comes cheap but can come cheaper on sales. I'd repurchase but this and the Unstoppable mascara make me want to try even more mascaras.