September 3, 2014 | 1000 users online

rated 1 of 5 on 5/10/2012 8:56:00 AM More reviews by EricaVee

The package promises:

-16 hours shine-free
-No caking

...and doesn't live up to either claim. I can't even get ONE hour shine-free. And the stuff is caky as all get out.

It's also expensive for what it actually does. I've only had it for about a week and already I can see the bottom of the pan.

I bought this instead of my beloved Coty Airspun powder just to try something new--big mistake. The second I tried this powder I wanted to run right back to CVS and by a box of Airspun.

The only pro is that it does have decent coverage, and the "Fair" shade is nice and pale, which I like--basically the same color as translucent powder, but with some coverage.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/20/2012 7:34:00 PM More reviews by kwhkwh

No no no. This powder does not work for me at all. I tried it alone, over Colorstay liquid (which is also gross on me), and over other liquid foundations that otherwise work pretty well. I applied it with the puff that came in the package, with another type of puff, with my favorite kabuki brush, with my 2nd favorite kabuki brush, with another type of brush . . . but still the answer was no. It was cakey and too heavy no matter what I did, and it made me look like a corpse hit with a wet sack of flour. I have fair skin, so I tried the lightest shade, and to be fair maybe the next shade up would have been a better color match, but I don't think it would have solved any of the other problems I had with it.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/18/2012 7:37:00 AM More reviews by megustamakeupdoe

(This isn't the one with softflex so that's why I gave it only 2 lippies) I always do a lot of research before I buy a product, and I did a lot of research on this product. I finally got it at a local drugstore and when I got home I tired it. It was an okay powder... Then I realized it wasn't the one with soft flex in it, and that's the one I wanted really bad. So MAKE SURE THAT IF YOU WANT THE ONE WITH SOFT FLEX (which is a lot better) LOOK AT THE PACKAGING. I love the one with soft flex WAY better!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2012 11:39:00 AM More reviews by Arosci

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

The new formula (mica based) of the Colorstay Pressed Powder is wonderful !

It has a slight "waxy" feel in the pan, and is not that easy to pick up with a brush.

Depending on how you apply it you can get several finishes, from the most beautiful to the worse.

I apply it with my EM Long Handle Kabuki or my EM Flat Top Brush (recently switched to Signature Mineral Luscious brushes which are even more silky than Everyday Minerals ones) so I can buff the powder into my skin to prevent the cakey, powdery look. It works with the classical powder brush method but without buffing the finish is more powdery and obvious. With the included puff, it is simply awful (too powdery) so I don't use it (for quick touch-ups on-the-go I replaced it with a small velours puff from Peggy Sage).

Used this way, the coverage is light/medium but not sheer so be careful not to overdo or you'll finish with the geisha look. It offers a matte finish with just a hint of glow without shimmers, which is very skin-like, and does not oxidize on my very oily skin.

The packaging is not the best one : good because it is flat (and not dome shaped like many MAC powders) so it stays better in my hand, but bad because of the tiny half-mirror that's inside (which is unusable because of its small size).

My skintone is NC15-20, pale with gold undertones and in the Colorstay foundation range I usually wear Buff. With this powder it's not easy to find a good match : Light has a yellow base but is a bit too light (especially as it's not that translucent) and Light-Medium is a better match but slightly too pink (for my skin) and a bit too dark. There's a huge difference between Light and Light-Medium, as If there was a missing shade in between.

I admit that it is not as finely milled as many other pressed powders (including Revlon Age Defying DNA Advantage which is pure silk) that's why it requires a little more work with brushes to get a polished look. But this powder has a really strong positive point : it neither darkens nor looses its opacity with moisture or sebum and the color stays true-to-tone from morning to night on my very oily skin (something other powders can't even imagine, most become completely transparent once loaded with sebum, thus darkening my face).

This powder has a strong bismuth oxychloride base (which is known to be a skin irritant) and also contain octinoxate (which can add to skin irritation although it protects from UVB rays).

It doesn't contain fragrance but it's not unscented (it smells like frangipane).

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2012 2:53:00 PM More reviews by duncan123

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

God, I wish they had a "maybe" in the 'would you buy this again' category. Several times I have wished this for other products. I had a hard time finding this powder in the reviews. Mine says "Revlon ColorStay Pressed Powder", but the word "Softflex" doesn't appear anywhere on my packaging, so I couldn't review it under that. Also, the packaging looks nothing like what I see here...mine has a half mirror at the top of the lid when you open it and then the bottom part of the lid reveals the product (and color). I purchased this in "Fair". I do like it. I can't say that it lasts 16 hours because I've never tested that, but doubt it's true. I touch up at about the 5 hour mark and I need touching up, lol. It's very finely milled which I would expect in a pressed powder. When I first apply this, my face looks flawless...absolutely flawless. And then about an hour later, it doesn't. So, I guess it works fine, but certainly not for 16 hours and my skin isn't even very oily at my age (early 50's). The color is spot-on...I am fair skinned and the "fair" (810) color works well for me. I have noticed a few blemishes but I cannot blame it on this...have to blame it on stress and the on/off cold weather here in Texas. This product is talc free, paraben free and professes to not clog pores, so I will not blame any blemish I have on this product. I think it's a good, basic pressed powder. I probably won't purchase again and only because by the time I go through this compact, I will have wanted to try something new.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/26/2011 5:10:00 PM More reviews by BeautyQueenOfTheScene21

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Too powdery/flakey/cakey. Name anything you've ever had wrong in a powder foundation and this one has it. It's too pale or too dark, very noticeable, not long lasting at all and makes my skin look so dry. Even though I don't have dry skin. Don't buy it. :/

rated 1 of 5 on 9/2/2011 9:43:00 PM More reviews by mzlovely

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I think its about time I do a review since I'm going to buy a different powder.

Ok so the coverage isn't great at all, not that it matters to me since I wear liquid foundation for coverage. It doesn't look good ontop of foundation either, it looks cakey. No matter what foundation I use, my two favs I switch back & forth to are Revlon Colorstay foundation and Maybelline Super Stay.

I apply this with a kabuki brush.
The color range for this powder is absolutely terrible.
I was going to get PALE because it looked closest to my skin color and it wasn't. It was pure white chalk but however didn't appear that way in the packaging.

I purchaed light to medium, which is darker than my skin color and oxidizes throughout the day making me look more cakey and making my skin color a darker shade...

I feel this powder also makes me more oily than I really am... The staying powder isn't good either. I think it stays on my skin for maybe 3 hours at most till I notice I will have to reapply it. I apply this on my T zone because that's where I get oily and within 3 hours I am oily.

I DON'T think it was worth the 12$ I paid for whatsoever.

Looking to buy the Maybelline Dream Matte Powder.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2011 11:39:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

Over all this is supposed to be a setting powder. Yet it doesn't keep oil at bay. By the end of the day my face looks pretty oily but in reality it's not as bad as I've heard/read about others. I can't imagine how horrible this product would be for them! The powder might be a good setting powder for those who don't get oily at all. I think that's the only good thing this powder could do. After a few days of wearing it I realized it lacks coverage (I hate wearing liquid so I was looking for a decent powder to wear alone). This has maybe light coverage (barely evens out skin). The other negative to the powder is their colors. It jumps from light (which I used & has yellow undertones to it; slightly too light for me) to light-medium which looks very dark in package and on their website. It's just odd that they limited the colors on this.

Over all? It's decent if you don't product oil and need something to set your foundation.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/24/2011 5:01:00 PM More reviews by nylongirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

This powder really does stay on long and the coverage is light-med and blends well. The problem I have is that it dries out my face! I can't wear this powder continuously. I would recommend this for someone with oily skin.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2011 5:21:00 PM More reviews by Rin13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I use this only for my nose or other shiny spots. I feel it would be much to chalky and drying on my entire face. I have SUPER dry/sensative skin, so I really have to watch what I put on it. This is good for shine control or probably people w/ oily skin.. but for anything else, I wouldn't recommend it.