October 20, 2014 | 1869 users online

Gels/Soaps - L'Occitane - 20% Shea Butter Soap

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2006 5:53:00 PM More reviews by staci23

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

L'occitane soaps are definitely my favorites. I've tried them all, my favorites are the milk bar soap and the square shaped bonne mere soaps in lavender, honeysuckle, & verbena. All of their soaps are very high quality and so different from your average soap. You really do get what you pay for here. My favorite thing about l'occitane soaps is the lather. It's a dense creamy lather with small bubbles. It's so luxurious and the way soap should be. I don't find the product to be drying to my skin at all and the whole process of lathering up with these bars is an experience in itself. The scents are all so gorgeous and natural, yet subtle and refined. I absolutely love them and always go back to them. If you can catch them on sale, it's even better.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/7/2005 3:04:00 AM More reviews by TOSIN

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I didn't like this soap at all!! I found it very drying, it left me so squeaky clean that when I rubbed my skin with my hands after showering, it didn't glide across it, rather it kept ceasing because my skin was so dry, no moisture whatsoever!! Maybe because I live in a hard water area, but with the shea butter in the soap I expected more moisture. Also it made my bath tub really dirty, really quickly!! I'd rather stick to my dove or l'occitane shower gels which are far more moisturising.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2005 7:20:00 AM More reviews by salvation_beauty

I had it in Vanilla and am going to try Milk soon =). I love the texture so much! My skin feels really soft and clean and nourished. I have oily skin for the record. My roommate has dry skin and she loves the soap so much too. The only downside about it is, after using it for a while, the bar tends to be quite.. sloppy.
It lasted about 2 months, for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2005 8:24:00 PM More reviews by miss_galiano

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The three main things that struck me about this soap are:

1. The lovely old fashioned packaging.

2. The clean, relaxing scent

3. The silky, finely milled texture.

This is the best soap I have ever tried, although I still have to use moisturiser afterwards.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2005 1:40:00 PM More reviews by brigid_reqc

I've been using this soap for a few years now. I like the luxurious texture of the bar: not too hard, like those drugstore soaps, and not too soft or melting, like glycerin soaps. I buy the Verbena one, and I feel the fragrance indeed. I even keep a bar in every drawer to perfume my clothes and linens. The fragrance doesn't stay on the skin after bath, however. I trust the quality of this soap and believe in great properties of shea butter on the skin. It just feels well to use it, yet it is a simple product and doesn't require much effort. I definitely recommend it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2004 11:57:00 PM More reviews by fabglamgirl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh these are nice. I have it in "Milk". Came wrapped in simple paper packaging, small sized. Very, very creamy. No perfumes that I can detect, just clean smelling bar loaded with moisturizing cream.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/9/2004 10:23:00 PM More reviews by shr1ne

I LOVE the scent of this soap. Im definatly addicted. The shea butter with cold cream in it for dry skin works a little better in the winter months.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2004 2:36:00 AM More reviews by mudpud

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Love these bar soaps. They're not drying for me and the lather is so rich. Also, since they're triple-milled, one small bar lasts forever. IMO, however, they might as well just sell these in one scent b/c I can't really detect much of a difference in smell once they foam up (I've tried Verbena, Milk, and Lavender). This can be a nice departure from overly fragranced soaps and body washes, though. Will continue to purchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/14/2004 6:53:00 PM More reviews by redjen

Tried this in the milk scent. It smelled nice and lathered well, but gave me the worst dry skin I've ever had. I tried all sorts of lotions, thinking "it can't be the soap because it's loaded with shea butter". Well, as soon as I went back to Dove, the dryness vanished. Sadly, had to throw the rest of the bar out.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2004 3:46:00 PM More reviews by KomodoKiss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

These are the soaps I keep running back to. I am normally a fan of cold-processed handmade soaps, but I also use occasional bodywashes and other soaps as well.

These are triple milled soaps I believe, and they are the creamiest soaps I have found. They last much longer than most cold-processed soaps, are moisturizing, and are the only soaps I have found that actually leave my skin feeling much smoother.

I have tried both the Milk and Bourbon Vanilla scents. I much prefer the Milk and will probably only but it from now on. It is a fresh, clean, milky scent that is to die for. The Vanilla Bourbon I detected hardly any scent from at all, much less any vanilla. The price is not cheap, but considering how well they last, they are indeed worth the expense.

As for some reviewers who have mentioned that these soaps are too drying, I can only assume these reviewers are accustomed to bodywashes that do not rinse off properly and leave a film on the body. True soaps are not designed to do this and will rinse clean. What makes these shea soaps exceptional is that they actually do have moisturizing properties in comparison to most other true soaps. I think some people are mistaking "slime" for moisture, and should perhaps stick to those bodywashes since they are more comfortable with that.

If you are new to L'Occitane's products, you cannot go wrong with a bar of this soap and their Shea Hand Creme.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No