August 21, 2014 | 1850 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Sonia Kashuk - Bristle Hair Brush

rated 2 of 5 on 8/4/2009 8:45:00 PM More reviews by mzthisnthat

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Okay, I've read and heard forever about the MP brushes and have always wanted one. Then I read a review in a magazine that said this SK brush was identical to the MP version. Now - I don't know how MP brushes ~really~ are, but if you've ever had someone brush your hair for you and they barely touched your hair (annoying, isn't it). That's how this brush is on my hair. Of course, that could be due to the fact that I have freakin' thick hair. I've had it for about 2 years and I keep bringing it out hoping I'll like it, but I never do. I want a brush that actually FEELS like it's doing something. So if you have thinner or fine hair this brush will probably work for you. Oh well, it's going on the swap list...

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2009 8:22:00 PM More reviews by PinkHairKinkyGoth

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I dont brush my hair anymore, since I like it wavy rocker bedhead, but when i straightened my hair, i used this. it made my hair silky & smooth even though i bleach & dye the shxt out of it. expensive for a brush

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/27/2009 10:31:00 AM More reviews by stilagirl9

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was only able to find the Golden Locks version, and I'm terribly disappointed. My hair isn't very long, but I have a lot of it and it's thick - with this brush, I find I need to brush one small section (about an inch) at a time. And even so, it feels as though my hair is breaking. Too time-consuming and frustrating!

Perhaps I'm not using this correctly (I've never used MP brushes either). But for now, I'll have to ding the product rating.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2009 4:33:00 PM More reviews by DontDropTheSoap

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My old cheap $3 hair brush was ripping out my hair, and it was painful to even brush. I had some $ to spair so i decided to pick this baby up, and im SO glad i did. It glides through my hair like a dream. $14 is the most ive ever spent for a brush, but its so worth it. I usually put baby powder on my hair to make it look fresh & my old brush made it all staticy, with this SK brush, it makes it super smooth & static free. Will continue to repurchase

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2009 More reviews by dpkelly

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I don't own an MP brush because I can't justify spending $100 on a hair brush so I have nothing to compare this too. That said, I love this brush. I have the Golden Locks version (2008 Holiday version in gold) which is the same as the Bristle Hair Brush. It massages the scalp and glides through the hair effortlessly leaving my hair silky and shiny. I keep it in it's box on my vanity and it looks cute as a button! Beauty and function in one!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2009 9:18:00 AM More reviews by Caroline1793

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a DEAD RINGER FOR THE MASON PEARSON. I have owned the Mason Pearson Pocket hair brush for 10 years. I wanted the bigger size, but couldn't see spending that outrageous amount of money, so I decided to try the Sonia Kashuk brush. I have to say that the Sonia Kashuk hair brush is just about identical in every way. In fact, I like the Sonia Kashuk hair brush better because the handle fits my hand much better than the Mason Pearson. In my opinion, in terms of quality and the way it makes my hair smooth and shiny, the Sonia Kashuk hair brush is a dead ringer for the Mason Pearson and so much cheaper. Buy the Sonia Kashuk version and save your hard earned money gals! ***(By the way, the rubber/oil smell goes away rather quickly and BOTH the Mason Pearson and the Sonia K. brush smell that way when they are new.)

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/20/2009 2:45:00 PM More reviews by mel4

Yuk! The red cushion part of this brush smells like rubber or oil. I didn't even bother trying it out on my hair. I let it air out for 3 days but the odor was still strong. Returned it to Target.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2009 1:36:00 AM More reviews by teekay01

If only my DH could understand that this brush isn't meant for combing dog hair. I finally found my Sonia Kashuk brush in the doggie bin. It had dog hair in it... and I was in awe as to how great my dog's coat looked lately. Nonetheless, while I was using this brush on my own head of hair, my strands looked polished, glossy, and overall GREAT! I will have to repurchase and put my name on it next time!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/10/2009 12:35:00 AM More reviews by Oiran

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I normally don't write reviews but I felt obligated to on this item.

I have owned this hairbrush for a little over a year. When I first bought it, I couldn't see a big difference between this and my Mason Pearson brush which I bought around the same time, but I admit I am really not an expert on hairbrushes. The only thing I could have pointed out was that the bristles on the Sonia Kashuk brush were a little flimsier.

Now, after a year or so of using both brushes I can definitely tell you why Mason Pearson brushes are superior. A significant amount of the bristles on my Sonia Kashuk hairbrush have broken off near the bottom of each tuft. In some cases, nearly half of the bristles have broken off. They are just long enough to collect a lot of crud (which I haven't managed to wash away, despite my rigorous efforts,) and also to snag on my hair on occasion.

This hairbrush is just another landfill item. I recently resolved to try mostly buying things that will last from now on, which is why I invested in a full sized Mason Pearson hairbrush (my current one being pocket sized, which I will faithfully continue to use,) and will not again be taking my chances again on lower grade brushes such as this. I did not buy my Mason Pearson believing that it would do wondrous miracles for my hair; I bought it because it has a long-standing reputation for longevity. The fact is, none of us here could possibly have owned a Sonia Kashuk hairbrush long enough for it to build that kind of reputation. And as you can probably tell from my review, mine isn't definitely going to live that long.

I just think we need to take more responsibility here and think about more than just our wallets and the near future when buying things. Sorry for what probably looks like a Mason Pearson sales pitch, but after seeing some of the MP dissent here, I just thought I'd present my case. But if you're still looking for an alternative to a Mason Pearson hairbrush, then this one isn't it.

27 out of 37 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2008 6:02:00 PM More reviews by fireflyglow

Count me in as another who can't fathom dropping 100-plus dollars on a Mason Pearson. After reading in Allure awhile back that this was a great dupe for it, I figured, for fifteen bucks, why not?

I'm definitely loving this. It's small enough to fit in my purse, and I love the ergonomic handle. My hair, which varies between chin and shoulder length, is fine, frizzy, wavy, and gets tangled easily. This detangles snarls easily without effort or discomfort, and leaves my hair soft, shiny, and best of all, frizz-free. My only gripe is that it tends to attract dust very easily, though on the upside it can also be cleaned out easily as well.

I have and will repurchase. For this price, I don't think I'll ever need a Mason Pearson.

continued >>