July 29, 2014 | 1933 users online

Makeup Brushes - Ecotools - bamboo eye shading brush

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2010 3:02:00 AM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

- Skip down to 'Final Consensus' for short summary of overall thoughts on product -

I believe people are reviewing two brushes - Eye SHADING Brush (thinner one) and Eye SHADOW Brush (fluffier one). I'm not sure if the latter is a new version or if it's just a new brush added to the set entirely. Because of the confusion, I will be reviewing both here. When comparing them, I'll refer to them as Shadow and Shading. I've uploaded comparison images as well.

What it Claims:
" Wide, soft bristles deliver a swift, even application
Soft, cruelty-free bristles
Natural & recycled materials"

Claims: True or False?
1) Soft bristles: True.
2) Swift, even application: True

Packaging:
Came in a small fabric and plastic pouch with a resealable opening. These pouches can be a tad tricky to get into, but it's not a big deal. Obviously no means for storing, but you can easily make/buy your own separate storage solutions. Nothing to really discuss, as packaging is not used to store the brush indefinitely.

Construction:
I find that synthetic brushes are kindest to my skin; these brushes are absolutely divine. The bristles for both almost feel slippery smooth. Smooth handles with a bit of a grain texture.The handle is widest in the middle and tapers to a thinner rounded end. I do wish that they would label the name/purpose of the brush on the side. I've experienced no shedding, sprawling or scratchiness.
* Shading - Thin, tapered shape which fits snugly over my lid and is the perfect size for all-over application. It can also be used for applying highlighter, although it's a little too tapered and can leave a slightly harsh line.The dense yet compact bristles work really well for all-over shadow application and seems to prevent the shadow from going everywhere. Even though it is densely packed, the bristles are very flexible, but not flimsy in any way - a good balance. Picks up and deposits pigment very nicely.
* Shadow - Larger, fluffier design that is too large to apply shadow to the entire lid. When used in this way, it causes shadow to apply to my under-eye area and will usually leave a small gap near the upper lash line. I find that this one works best for blending - smooths harsh edges and gradients between shadows without disturbing the application. Like the other brush, bristles are flexible but not flimsy and smooth. Has a slight tapering to it as well. I've yet to try it to apply highlighter, but I think it would be too large for this.

Ease of Use:
* Shading: I have no problems with this brush for applying colour to my entire lid. I prime my lid, place the brush into the powder and swirl then tap the brush, and press it over the lid numerous times. Sweeping it over the lid will not work, and will not allow for even depositing. I originally used it to apply highlighter, and I found that it was a tad harsh in terms of it creating a minor blunt line, but easily blended out. Cleans beautifully as well, doesn't require reshaping as it dries.
* Shadow: I have no issues with it depositing colour, it is just too large for the lid. For blending, I gently sweep the brush in small circular motions and then in long sweeps to blend out the harsh edges, and gently sweep over the entire lid once or twice to smooth out any gradients. Also cleans very nicely, doesn't require reshaping as it dries.

Bang for your Buck:
Both cost about $7.00CAD. I can see both easily lasting years, and it's a good price for the quality. They are well-priced for purchasing backups/duplicates, and it is not going to cost an arm and a leg to replace. Both brushes can likely be used for multiple purposes (applying concealer, highlighter, blending, shadow application), the quality is fantastic and it's definitely a great price.

Final Consensus:
I thoroughly enjoy both brushes, but I will say that the Shading version is my preferred brush. Overall, if you are looking for an all-over shadow brush and/or a blending brush, check out EcoTools. If you want an all-over shadow brush (especially if you have smaller lids), look for the thinner brush. If you want a blending brush or have large eyelids, look for the fluffier brush. Would repurchase both. Rating refers to both brushes - 4.5 overall because of the few drawbacks of the Shadow version.
- Pros: Cheap, smooth, comfortable on skin and in hand, (Shading) applies shadow nicely, picks up and deposits shadow well, cleans easily, (Shadow) blends easily.
- Cons: (Shading) Can create a slightly harsh line when highlighting, (Shadow) too large to be used on the entire lid.

Overall Rating: 4.5/5
Price: 1/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again: Yes.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2010 3:55:00 PM More reviews by cinnamongingersnaps

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

Great for blending, but as some other users commented, it's not the brush to pick up a lot of colour. For that I recommend The Body Shop eyeshadow brush which has stiffer hairs for packing in the colour and for more directed shading. Great value for money and it's great to know that I am doing my bit for the environment ;)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2010 9:41:00 PM More reviews by Lomelindi

I have the bigger, solo version of this brush so I can't speak for the one that comes in a set. It's a large, very soft brush which is great for putting in eyeshadow all over your lid but isn't great at packing it on. It can definitely help with blending too, so overall, this brush should best be used for soft, smokey or natural looks. If you want super pigmented eyes, then I'd use a smaller, harder brush. In any case, another great brush by Ecotools!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/17/2010 12:35:00 AM More reviews by voicelessadrasteia

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

First off, I don't actually use this brush for eyeshadow. I did when I first got it, and I decided I didn't much care for it as an eyeshadow brush. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great brush for it's price, and normally brushes found in drug stores aren't too great. It's actually a really good quality of brush tip, and I really enjoy that the brush itself and the packaging are to help the environment, all while being a good product. But I thought maybe it didn't hold the product of eyeshadow too well, or maybe that's just me. So instead I've just begun using it as a blemish-covering type brush, if you know what I mean, an it seems to work pretty well. Overall a good product and a highly recommended brand.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2010 4:55:00 PM More reviews by balletdancer923

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a very nice brush, with super soft bristles! It's great for just putting color on your lids. I love the quality of ecotools brushes! They feel so well made! The reason this gets 4/5 is because it's almost to big to be an eye brush, I wish it was a little bit smaller.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2010 6:52:00 PM More reviews by elleLuv5

It took me a while to write a review for this brush because I wasn't sure if I love it or hate it. I've come to the conclusion that I like it. Not love or hate but more than ok as a brush. The brush I have, I believe, is the newer version. It's fluffy and tapered. I noticed that the 5 brush set has the older version (or at least I think so) and looks a lot thinner or smaller. I personally find this 'new' version of the brush to be too thick or too big for packing eyeshadow on the eyelids. However, I do like it as a blending brush. The tapered sides does help in the blending process and I must say that in that sense it does a great job. It is great for making the eyeshadow on the crease look much softer. Overall, I think that for the cheap price it is a great and good quality. Also, the earth-friendly and eco-conscious concept behind the brand is a wonderful bonus!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2010 1:08:00 AM More reviews by Ehrial

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like that this brush picks up enough product and distributes it evenly. I can really get into the crease with this brush. It's really soft but I find that it tugs a little (which is why I took off a lippie). Overall, compared to the Avon Eyeshadow brush that I had, this one is WAY better! And I love that it is natural and not tested on animals.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/24/2010 3:09:00 PM More reviews by biancaymark

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

OK brush, a little too big for my eyes.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2010 7:49:00 AM More reviews by lilaleahg

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This brush is decent. I never use it to blend, I mostly use it as a back-up brush whenever my other HG brushes are dirty.

Thanks to MUA'ers, I've noticed that my eye shading brush works better when wet. Most of the time I pack pigment onto my brushes, then spray them in setting spray. I've found that this helps my eye shading brush tremendously.

This isn't a bad brush. It's just decent. I probably wouldn't purchase this by itself. If anything, I'd buy the kit for the other brushes. This brush reminds me of a group of friends: you only hang out with it because of the other things involved, not because you care.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2010 5:17:00 AM More reviews by HelloKittyHun

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Okay. I am reviewing the "NEW AND IMPROVED" edition of the EcoTools eye shading brush (will post a pic). I have both the old version that I think people are having problems with (the one that comes in the 6 piece set). That one isn't as good as the new and improved one you can buy at Walgreens. I'm not sure where else sells the new version but I know they are at Walgreens. The new version (I will post a pic), is GREAT. It's a lot fluffier and a little bigger than the old one, it's softer and has a more pointed end so you can also use it to blend upwards or in the crease. It packs on eyeshadow all over the lid very well and gets in the crease well. The OLD eyeshadow brush version is better for using with cream eye shadows, bases, or emollient type eye products. So if you're having a problem using it for dry shadow, try using it for wet eye products, it'll probably better for that. That's what I use it for. You can also definitely use this brush to use shadows wet or for pigments. It's nice at packing on pigments. For dry pressed shadows, try the "new and improved" version. It's MUCH better for that purpose. Of course with all the other EcoTools brushes, I very much enjoy the design and their contribution to the environment.
EDIT: Uploaded a new pic of the new and improved brush. It's the last one.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No