Home Made Brush Cleaner / Cleanser

4.8

Price: $

Price: $

1 cup distilled water1/4 cup alcohol1/2 tbsp. clear shampoo1/2 tbsp. dishwashing liquid1 tbsp. liquid spray-in conditioner

on 6/18/2010 2:56:00 PM

I was on YouTube and came across EnKore's recipe for this and i have fallen in love! it's amazing, super cheap (which i love) and it works wonders. The alcohol in it smells kinda bad but i got over it and it wasn't too overpowering, i definately recomend you try this amazing stuff!

on 5/7/2010 3:12:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

IN LOOOOOOVE!!!! I've been using my first batch for months now, and it's beat out all my other brush cleansers. Super easy to make, and you can easily find all the ingredients in your home, and if you don't have them already, you won't spend mOre than $10, which is probably what you would spend on any other brush cleaner anyway. This stuff really keeps my brushes cleaned between deep cleans, and dependingbon your ingredients, the smell is very inoffensive! Cheap, effective, easy to make. What more could you ask for?!

on 11/30/2009 4:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Before making this, i would wash (deep clean) my brushes (maybe) once a week. Now i can have clean brushes between washes too!! i goofed and ended up making my own version.

(Yea for not reading directions before starting) i ended up with this mixture: 8.5oz total(roughly)

3/4 cup distilled water
1/4 cup 91% alchohol
1TBs dish washing soap (great degreaser)
1TBs shampoo
1TBs leave in conditioner
squirt of tea tree

this totally cleaned the concealer off my brush today with no residue. im totally stoked about being able to have sanitary brushes. i think the extra detergents and conditioner made all the difference. Not only did the brushes come clean but they felt great too.

UPDATE: almost a month later and i have had only 1-2 pimples this month. (tiny whiteheads that popped themselves and left no scar) im convinced that having clean brushes has made a total difference in the condition of my skin yea!

on 6/17/2009 3:02:00 PM

Wow! I love this home made brush cleanser recipe. I used half a plastic water bottle of tap water, half of that amount of rubbing alcohol, a few squirts of dishwash detergents (i used cascade), same amount of baby shampoo (used aveeno baby shampoo), same amount of foaming make up cleanser gel from avene (the one in a big white bottle with a pump). i shook it well and let it sit for a while because it foams up. then soaked my dirty brushes in it (i get enough cleanser for three washes so i put the amount i need for a wash in a ceramic cup), rinse in running water and voila! it's clean! it doesn't smell bad, very cheap, cleans well, brushes stay soft. can't go wrong with this. do give it a try girls!

on 3/19/2009 3:31:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

I made Enkore's homemade brush cleaner; recipe is below. I needed a brush cleaner and I needed something temporary since I had no time to go to the store. OMG, I cannot believe how well this cleans my brushes. I just put a little on my brush and I wipe it clean with a paper towel. I do this after every use on my MAC 187. I will use this on all my brushes. I will not go out and buy another brush cleaner as this works perfectly fine. I can't believe how cheap and effective this is. I had all of the ingredients at home. I made one batch then put them in 3 little bottles. I am super happy that I found this recipe here on MUA. Thank you to the person that posted the recipe! You have to try this...why not save some money and do it yourself.

on 3/17/2009 5:22:00 PM

wow i luv it found him on youtube so helpful made some after watching the video had everything at home already great stuff !

on 2/24/2009 3:43:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

EnKore's Homemade Brush Cleaner

1 cup distilled water
1/4 cup alcohol
1/2 tbsp. clear shampoo
1/2 tbsp. diswashing liquid
1 tbsp. liquid spray-in conditioner (I used Equate's version of No More Tears, EnKore used Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Moisture Mist, either is fine)

This home made brush cleaner works AMAZINGLY well and it's very cheap to make. For very soiled brushes, you can clean them with EVOO, then this brush cleaner. Works great! So cheap!

on 7/29/2008 5:08:00 PM

Well...I just use baby shampoo since it's very delicate and doesnt have too many harsh chemicals for my brushes and I use lukewarm water, put a little dot of shampoo in my hand, swirl and rub gently, I repeat this until their is no product and let my brushes air dry. :]

on 7/29/2008 3:41:00 PM

I finally made my own brush cleanser last night and it worked wonders!! -- It also helps save money! I came across this EnKore guy on youtube and found his recipe. Much props to him and the reviewer before me.

1 cup distilled water
1/4 cup 70% or 91% alcohol
1/2 tsp dishwasher soap
1/2 tsp baby shampoo (or any shampoo for oily hair is fine)
1 tsp liquid conditioner spray (might want to check the youtube for this... I used Pantene's Leave-in conditioner liquid spray)

Mix gently together and then pour into bottle to store for later use. This formula can fill up 3 - 3oz spray bottles with some left over. Super cheap... try it! :] I love how my brushes are still fluffy and clean after!

on 2/8/2008 2:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a mixture I make to create a brush cleaner. It works very well and is able to get rid of even those long wearing foundations!

200ml water
50ml 70% rubbing alcohol (solvent obviously..)
1tbsp washing up liquid (to cut through the grease, etc)
1tbsp gentle shampoo (since your brushes are made of hair)
1tbsp facial wash (this is optional but adding this in just reassures me that all make up is gone, i personally use neutrogena's deep clean gel wash)

I mix all the above and pour into a bottle with a cap. When I need it I give the bottle a good shake then pour a small amount into a tiny dish/bowl/lid and dip my brushes in (wiggle them in) then rinse off with water. Repeat if necessary.

Now I find no need to go out and splash out for a decent brush cleaner I can make one at home for a quarter of the price! Hope this helps!

Video Reviews & Tutorials