August 21, 2014 | 2175 users online

Makeup Brushes - Home Made Brush Cleaner / Cleanser

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2009 3:31:00 AM More reviews by jrm1862

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I made Enkore's homemade brush cleaner; recipe is below. I needed a brush cleaner and I needed something temporary since I had no time to go to the store. OMG, I cannot believe how well this cleans my brushes. I just put a little on my brush and I wipe it clean with a paper towel. I do this after every use on my MAC 187. I will use this on all my brushes. I will not go out and buy another brush cleaner as this works perfectly fine. I can't believe how cheap and effective this is. I had all of the ingredients at home. I made one batch then put them in 3 little bottles. I am super happy that I found this recipe here on MUA. Thank you to the person that posted the recipe! You have to try this...why not save some money and do it yourself.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2009 5:22:00 PM More reviews by lovelyShine

wow i luv it found him on youtube so helpful made some after watching the video had everything at home already great stuff !

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2009 3:43:00 AM More reviews by PaleBrunette

EnKore's Homemade Brush Cleaner

1 cup distilled water
1/4 cup alcohol
1/2 tbsp. clear shampoo
1/2 tbsp. diswashing liquid
1 tbsp. liquid spray-in conditioner (I used Equate's version of No More Tears, EnKore used Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Moisture Mist, either is fine)

This home made brush cleaner works AMAZINGLY well and it's very cheap to make. For very soiled brushes, you can clean them with EVOO, then this brush cleaner. Works great! So cheap!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2008 5:08:00 PM More reviews by Adrianka88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Well...I just use baby shampoo since it's very delicate and doesnt have too many harsh chemicals for my brushes and I use lukewarm water, put a little dot of shampoo in my hand, swirl and rub gently, I repeat this until their is no product and let my brushes air dry. :]

7 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2008 3:41:00 PM More reviews by mzxtine

I finally made my own brush cleanser last night and it worked wonders!! -- It also helps save money! I came across this EnKore guy on youtube and found his recipe. Much props to him and the reviewer before me.

1 cup distilled water
1/4 cup 70% or 91% alcohol
1/2 tsp dishwasher soap
1/2 tsp baby shampoo (or any shampoo for oily hair is fine)
1 tsp liquid conditioner spray (might want to check the youtube for this... I used Pantene's Leave-in conditioner liquid spray)

Mix gently together and then pour into bottle to store for later use. This formula can fill up 3 - 3oz spray bottles with some left over. Super cheap... try it! :] I love how my brushes are still fluffy and clean after!

16 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2008 2:33:00 PM More reviews by george3b

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

This is a mixture I make to create a brush cleaner. It works very well and is able to get rid of even those long wearing foundations!

200ml water
50ml 70% rubbing alcohol (solvent obviously..)
1tbsp washing up liquid (to cut through the grease, etc)
1tbsp gentle shampoo (since your brushes are made of hair)
1tbsp facial wash (this is optional but adding this in just reassures me that all make up is gone, i personally use neutrogena's deep clean gel wash)

I mix all the above and pour into a bottle with a cap. When I need it I give the bottle a good shake then pour a small amount into a tiny dish/bowl/lid and dip my brushes in (wiggle them in) then rinse off with water. Repeat if necessary.

Now I find no need to go out and splash out for a decent brush cleaner I can make one at home for a quarter of the price! Hope this helps!

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No