December 18, 2014 | 1384 users online

Toners - Green Tea Tea-Bag Toner

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2013 5:32:00 AM More reviews by chezzagaga

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

i learned this trick from makeup artist..lisa eldridge.. i make the tea as normal using two teabags to make it strong. i then pour it into an icecube tray and freeze. i get out an icecube of green tea, wrap it it a gauze like material and gently dab around my eyes. you feel the tea come through the gauze as your dabbing. im being as honest as i can here. i have tried numerous amounts of eye creams and spent alot of money trying to keep my eyes looking normal. NOTHING has compared to this method. it works amazingly. and my eyes do not have dark circles anymore or puffiness like they had before. i do this before i go to sleep and even dab it all around my face. and i do it in the morning. the beauty of this method is, you dont have to lie down for ten minutes to do it..i walk around doing whatever i gotta do just dabbing the ice cube around my eyes. no lying there for ages with tea bags on the eyes. i highly recomened that people try this. best beauty tip i ever discovered. i just wanted to add incase people wonder how long to do this...i do it until the ice cube has melted. one ice cube for the both eyes is fine..just do a couple of mins on one eye then swap over..keep applying til ice gone. :)

26 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/2/2013 3:11:00 PM More reviews by winniewyli21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

A great find on Makeup alley! I read a raving reviews about this natural way to treat my face and it has become an addition to my everyday face regimen.

After cleansing my face, I take the tea bag, put it into boiling water, and let it steep for a while. I wait until the tea bag cools and use it like a cotton pad. Then, I pat it around my face. I end off with sweeping the excess with a real cotton pad (so my face is not dripping everywhere) and add my moisturizer after. I have been doing this for about 3 weeks and it really helps reduce the redness and size of my zits.

Only caution, I tried the cheaper store brand versus the expensive twinings brands and found the store brand works a lot better. Go for organics and stay away from the expensive stuff where they add more "flavours" and additional plants that don't work well with your skin.

Drinking green tea is also a great anti-oxidant and helps your skin glow!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2012 12:56:00 AM More reviews by elin22

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This stuff is awesome. I drink green tea everyday but I also use it on my face as a toner. It's the best toner I've ever used. I make some tea up and then once it's cooled I use a cotton ball to gently rub it on my face. I'll hold the soaked cotton ball over any blemishes for a little bit longer. As a result, my skin feels smoother and more moisturised and looks clearer and brighter. Pimples are reduced in size, probably due to the anti-inflammatory effect of the tea.

Sometimes I make up a combination of green tea and other herbal teas such as white tea or chamomile. I'd recommend making a fresh batch every couple of days as it can start to smell after a few days.

I also add green tea to yoghurt and then use it as a face mask. The green tea soothes my skin and also acts as an exfoliant.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2012 7:20:00 PM More reviews by MsVengeance

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used to drink green tea every day and experienced no benefit whatsoever to my skin--in fact, the caffeine only worsened it, and the tea turned my teeth yellow so i had to stop (it sucks; even white tea turns them yellow!). I like using it as a toner/blemish treatment though. My skin is sensitive and can sometimes get inflamed from retin a (i find that this calms it), plus I like this for cystic acne. If you ever get cystic acne you know what it's like to have what feels like a giant bruise on your face--or worse a giant whitehead that just wont go away (because hopefully you're smart enough not to pop it and spread the infection). Well this stuff might be able to help you with that, so maybe try it. Amazingly, I've found it more effective as a spot treatment then BP or TTO, and a lot less irritating. I had a disgusting whitehead on my face the other day and a few minutes after swiping some green tea over my face, I look in the mirror and notice it's gone all flat and is suddenly draining itself and dangerously close to dripping down my freaking face (disgusting but woohoo!). This is not the only time it's worked like this, but sometimes it also just flattens it and dries it out a little faster than normal over a course of days--most importantly, it almost always makes it less inflamed and swollen. I'm not sure how it does it, because it sure doesn't FEEL like a spot treatment (no burning, stinging or anything!). This stuff also soothes and calms redness; I think it might even help fade acne marks, and it is (supposedly) just as effective as BP in preventing acne--plus, it's also supposed to help build collagen and soak up free radicals, but really, I couldn't say whether it does any of that because I use other products and so far, I've only noticed its effectiveness on zits as a spot treatment (i broke out bad recently due to a new serum and began using it every day and night recently). Either way, I experience no significant dryness even when I use it all over my face....I mean it is basically the same dryness you'd get from swiping a wet cotton ball on your face, so just use a moisturizer afterwards if you get dry.

Things to think of before using green tea your face:
---It oxidizes fast, so it's not going to be effective for more than several hours, if even that. I brew a cup at night and put the tea in a tightly sealed stainless steel container overnight (b/c for some reason, someone gave me this formerly useless stainless steel container/might-be-a-travel-cup-thingy last x-mas), I then use the tea bag that night and the next morning, I'll dip a cotton ball in the tea and use that. It still seems to be effective in the am, but I throw out the rest b/c I'm afraid of bacteria. Sometimes I like to brew it in the day to spot treat with a q-tip. You can try mixing it with stuff, but from what I've read it can only prolong the shelf life for like, a day or two.

--If you want to DIY your own green tea products with a longer shelf life, get the extract, cause it's more stable. The extract is actually what all the studies on topical green tea used anyways.

---White tea is supposed to be just as effective, if not more (which makes sense seeing as it has more antioxidants) so you could also use that.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2012 4:57:00 PM More reviews by kisa321

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I actually didn't like using green tea as a toner at all.
The reason I put five stars is because green tea works absolute WONDERS for my eye bags.
First I'll talk about why I don't like this as a toner:
-I really don't see the point of toners in the first place but decided to try this anyway since i had green tea in my house
-after I cleansed my face (with oatmeal btw. WORKS WONDERS FOR ACNE), I took a green tea bag that I had made tea with already, and just wiped it all over my face.
-It felt strange, and tightening, and ended up really drying out and irritating my skin.
-also, if you don't apply it carefully, you'll get clumps of green gunk in some places. o.0

so I guess this toner is best for people with more oily skin? idk. I just didn't like it because it dryed out my already dry skin, and didn't really help my acne.

but anways, GREEN TEA BAGS ARE MY HOLY GRAIL FOR PUFFINESS.
what I do every morning is I use two tea bags to make some tea and then freeze the tea bags for about 15 minutes. Then, I lay down with my head propped up a little, and I place the tea bags on my eyes.
I leave them on my eyes for 10 minutes. listening to music can help keep track of time because each song is about 3-4 minutes so I usually listen to about 3 songs and then take the tea bags off.
I have the worst bag problem that I have ever seen on anyone my age, and every time i do this tea bag treatment, my eyes are completely TRANSFORMED.
best thing ever.
I have tried eye creams for my bags and they didn't do shit. I have also tried black tea. it worked quite well but not nearly as well as the green tea <3.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2012 10:23:00 PM More reviews by TaniitaTania

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love green tea , i remember since i started to drink green tea i didn't break out that much ,i stopped drinking it for like 5 months because i have braces and green tea actually stained my bottom teeth ,i mean when you have braces its a little harder to cleanse properly when you don't have braces and i had dental cleaning on my teeth so i was hesitated to drink the green tea ,but oh my gosh i think since when i stopped drinking it i have been breaking out more frequently soo i actually decided yesterday to start drinking it again , I also use it topical ,.,i use it as a toner with Apple cider vinegar and i have seen improvement in my complexion ,.,Overall i feel like green tea is great for the skin for the antioxidants and how it cleanses the body and how it reduces breakouts,.,i don't know how it does it, but it works! I recommend it :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2012 5:50:00 PM More reviews by melangerehab

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I switch between using rosewater and this (I like putting a few drops of rosewater right on the chilled teabag sometimes) and I've found that nothing has helped clear my skin up and make my skin look more radiant than my new skincare routine. I use honey to cleanse, rosewater and/or green tea teabag to tone, and cheap Neutrogena moisturizer to moisturize. The teabags really help my dark circles and they help bring down the puffiness of my obnoxiously puffy eye bags. I think it helps me with acne, too, to be honest, I haven't been breaking out at all. I would suggest caution because all products have a chance of producing negative results, but for the most part, I recommend this for all people, even those with sensitive skin. One other thing, green tea is delicious and good for you and putting more fluids into your body will help with your skin, too. :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2012 1:52:00 AM More reviews by samuellewis

i ADORE green tea! Listen up GUYS & girls of course, but in particular guys who suffer shaving irritation! Green tea is anti inflammatory so if you wipe te teabag gently over your skin after shaving its going to soothe and if the teabag is cold, help seal the pores again. I use this day and night as a toner before moisturiser and i will never purchase toner again, i use many high end products but i genuinely believe there will be few high end toners that work as effectivley as this based on its antioxidant content and price alone.

Also, for people who suffer shaving irritation, another thing you might have in your cupboard that may help, extra virgin olive oil, a good pump, apply it to semi damp skin, and shave in the shower, then pat dry face, apply green tea toner and there you go, hopefully irritation solved, in my case anyhow :) good luck!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2012 10:36:00 AM More reviews by Meecro

Using a mildly warm-cool green tea bag works wonders on cystic acne and helps get rid of these bad spots in a matter of days(nearly instantly helping with the pain and pressure caused by swelling and helping reduce the redness) rather than weeks to months that they take to heal on their own. I also find that it helps even my skin tone and reduce the redness across my cheeks, and makes the pores appear smaller.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2012 5:33:00 PM More reviews by lass917

I haven't tried this topically, but I've been drinking 1 or 2 mugs of green tea per day for about two months now. I had an awful reaction to a product (Paula's Choice BHAs) and was trying everything (except more topicals - I was and still am terrified of them now) to help ease my breakout. I don't know if the green tea itself has a tremendous effect, but drinking green tea in conjunction with drinking about a gallon of water daily, cutting out dairy and sugar, taking some olive leaf extract and raw organic Manuka honey, eating more fruits and vegetables and almost no refined foods, and getting enough rest seems to really have helped my skin, and body in general. I used to have clear skin, but still the way to maintain that was to use salicylic acid products and benzoyl peroxide. If I didn't use my salicylic acid toner and leave-on product and benzoyl peroxide, I would get breakouts. Now, being terrified of topicals since Paula's Choice, I have not been medicating my face at all, just cleansing and moisturizing, and sometimes toning (all free of salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide). My skin is by no means perfect but I am quite proud of it for not breaking out terribly even though I'm not medicating it. I really do think the tea and diet, sleep and general healthy lifestyle are contributing.

I realize after writing this that this isn't really an appropriate place for this "review" but acne is the devil and if this can help anyone, then great. I was a little skeptical of the whole natural thing before, but it really does seem to help. Plus it seems that acne, while it has always been in existence, is much more pervasive these days. I am sure it has at least something to do with our disgusting western diets and lifestyles, and probably too all the products we put on our faces. Anyway...

21 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No