October 30, 2014 | 1679 users online

Other - Paula's Choice - Beautypedia.com

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2013 2:42:00 PM More reviews by funnyblossom

I discovered Beautypedia about 5 years ago. I use it weekly, taking into account that whoever reviews anything does so with a bias - that is life.. I am grateful that someone has taken the time to develop a free knowledge base that, if used with common sense, helps intruct, educate and empower consumers. My skin is better today than it ever was because I make informed choices and I have Beauytpedia to thank for that.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2013 2:02:00 PM More reviews by scopingforyou

The idea, in theory, is a great one. The problem is when you sell a product, I don't know how unbiased your reviews of others' products can be. There are some great things I've learned from visiting her site, though, and against my will,, I'm falling in love with some of her products. :-O

9 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/1/2013 12:49:00 PM More reviews by blueroses2525

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

PB is an intriguing figure. In the beauty world, she's something of an anachronism, a holdover from the olden days where people had to pay for "expert" reviews of products because opinions were not easily accessible. Nowadays, in the internet age, product reviews are linked to products on virtually every beauty shopping site, YouTube abounds with video reviews and tutorials, and anyone with a powder brush and an internet connection can start up a beauty blog, making paid reviews an obsolete business model. PB has changed with the times, at long last -- Beautypedia went from being paid subscription only to free-but-a-username-and-password-are-required to being open and accessible to all.

Historically, many of her reviews, particularly of makeup products, have suffered from her personal style bias. In PB's opinion, the right makeup look consists of matte eyeshadow, "neutral" foundation (with no peach undertones), automatic eyeliner, and non-shimmery blush. Any products that deviated from this were automatically (and often unfairly) downgraded. Since then, she has moderated her approach and now simply points out that certain products, such as MUFE's Aqua Cream shadows, tend towards the bold and dramatic, rather than knocking off points for not being her preferred type of color. While her style bias still comes through in the tone of many of her reviews, it's refreshing to see that she has refocused on reviewing the products for what they are rather than how they fit into her preferred style matrix.

She does have some worthwhile insights into the dubiousness of many products' claims of being "natural," and of the questionable value of the exalted "botanicals" touted as miracle panaceas in some skincare products (such as Cindy Crawford's "melon extract," which probably isn't harmful but doesn't have any demonstrable benefits, either).

What I find myself reading most often are her meta-reviews of certain brands. Although some of them are in need of updating, she still provides some very insightful big-picture analyses of brands, including the overall value for the money as well as the product quality.

In all, PB is one of several sources that I consult when researching a product purchase. I certainly don't rely on her opinions alone, but she does have some value to add to the equation with certain products.

10 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2012 8:13:00 AM More reviews by Walko

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I think if you're going to listen to one women's opinion, there's going to be a lot of hit and misses. I bought the book of Paula's a while back, now I just read her reviews on beautypedia online..A lot of her advice is helpful, and I feel I have benefitted. For example, I now avoid products full of denatured alcohol and fragrances, as I genuinelly beleive they are irritants and serve no purpose in skin care whatsoever.However when it comes to her views on exfoliating I totally disagree with her. Paula advises to exfoliate twice a day using a chemical exfoliator.This to me is a nonsense. Exfoliate by all means but twice a day? That will do more harm than good.I've bought products she's recommended and found them excellent. On the other hand, I've wasted money on her recommendations.She has strange views on colour matches, often pointing out this is too yellow, or pink , or peach. For whom?? We are all different.One thing I do agree with her 100%, is sunscreen must be worn 365 days a year, and her sunscreens are excellent.Her line is one of the few that has PURE mineral sunscreens and this is a godsend for me as I can't tolerate chemical sunscreen around eyes. To sum it up I do admire Paula and her work and will continue to seek her advice, I just won't agree with it all.
And I've got to say Paula's antioxidant serums are second too none, absolutely excellent.Also something else I've learnt from Paula, expensive isn't always best , that is oh soooo true.Yes there's a lot of cheap rubbish out there, but worse still , there's a lot of expensive rubbish. It's the formulation that counts NOT the price.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/6/2012 7:07:00 AM More reviews by yluseu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I do have a background in beauty, and the teachings that I received matched Paula's quite closely, so I used to trust her opinion a lot. However, now I don't even look at her advice when purchasing product, because I'm an advocate of natural (or rather, plant derived and least processed) ingredients, and it appears she is strongly against any plant extract and aroma essential oils. Also, I happened to have dry skin and she seems to have oily skin. I had to bring up the subject of her personal skin type, because a lot of reviews are geared towards oily skin. She rates poorly any product that is greasy - which can be helpful for dry skin. Any product can be greasy, but it's a matter of moisturizing deeply and being greasy, or being greasy without moisturizing. Having oily skin, I don't think she can tell the difference between the two.

I agree that synthetic fragrances are bad. I have also suffered from heavily fragranced products and I do avoid synthetic fragrances, but I use various aroma essential oils on a daily basis with wonderful results. Some of the products she rated poorly or claimed "full of irritants" happened to work wonderfully for my extremely sensitive and dry skin.

I also think that it is contradictory that she is critiqueing others' products when she has her own product line. There's nothing wrong with having her own product line, but she promotes her own over others by giving lower rates to others products and better ones to her own.

After reading a lot of her reviews, I feel like her focus of choosing product is fragrance free, acid as active ingredient, sunscreen and matte looking makeup. Nothing helpful especially if you have dry skin.

I'd have to acknowledge though, that there were some good points to her reviews, because it helps consumers cut through the illusions and aids them in realizing how overpriced some products can be.

Personally, I have a different guideline that I have set up for myself when choosing product, and I wouldn't refer to her opinion when looking for one.

15 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2012 7:59:00 AM More reviews by heather

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I use beautypedia.com and makeupalley.com faithfully as sources of information about beauty products I'm interested in purchasing. Makeupalley is my primary source of consumer opinion and beautypedia is my primary source of research and comparison data, though I also use skindeep, cosdna, totalbeauty, and other resources. I don't agree with all of Paula's reviews, though I generally find them to be pretty accurate, especially regarding skincare. I appreciate her approach, and I particularly like the listing of ingredients and explanation of the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of each product's "star" ingredients. Yes, she reviews her own line and rates her own products as "Paula's Picks." I have no issue with this because I've tried many of her products and have found them to be well-formulated and effective. In some cases, they are unique within their price range, and I like having the information on these and other products available in one easily-searchable place. The thing that bothers me about beautypedia is that whole lines disappear from there with no explanation. I'm sure Nuxe and Arcona were once listed, because I remember reading her opinions of some of their products. Now they are gone. Sometimes her reviews are a bit self-righteous and strident, and I don't care for her personality. For the most part, though, I read beautypedia for the facts about what ingredients and formulations can and cannot do, and have found the information very useful in helping me avoid costly mistakes and ineffective formulations. I just wish more lines and products were covered.

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/2/2012 2:26:00 PM More reviews by beautifulmind

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I think this is an excellent website for finding out which products are likely to irritate your skin or are highly overrated or overpriced. It should be used as a reference guide for ingredients in cosmetics and how skin may respond to these ingredients. Beautypedia especially is interested in antioxidants to improve skin and harsh ingredients like unneeded fragrance that can actually irritate or harm skin. However, I don't always agree with the reviews of products as to how they work on my face. I do like cosmetic websites that ask for age, type of skin, etc. so that I can make comparisons.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2012 10:11:00 PM More reviews by seaswan

While some have reviewed PB's "paula's choice" line under this category. I'll stick to reviewing her website Beauytpedia.

I've been using Beautypedia, ( Paid and free), as a tool for looking for specific make up and skin care products. example: If you want to find a foundation for oily skin, that is fragrance free, without sunscreen, and not tested on animals for under 20 dollars. You can quickly find find that out! Then take your choices and check them out here at MUA. You'll end up saving time and money.
Paula Begoun started a personal mission to try to stop cosmetic and skin care companies from screwing over consumers, which is admirable. It's true that her passion could be overbearing, and yes she eventually added her own products and gives them all the highest rating, but that's business and this is a free country.
I've found her ratings of make up and skin care to be for the most part, accurate, but I'm the judge if I like something or not.
Beauytpedia just lets me know if that $60 moisturizer I've been eyeing at Sephora may have an ingredient that may leave me with a red ugly rash on my face...nothing wrong with that!

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/6/2012 7:34:00 AM More reviews by MissMelanieM

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Paula has been bashing other beauty product lines under the guise of being a "consumer advocate" for years. She's not an expert at anything, she's simply someone that has done a little research and passed judgment on perfectly good products. She sensationalizes. I loathed her very first book. Imagine my surprise when she came out with a product line! Way to go Paula in setting your consumer up and then profiting off of it. Brilliant strategy. Everything else not so brilliant.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2012 12:46:00 AM More reviews by dawnzartandlife

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I swear by Paula Begoun's products and think they have done more for my skin, than most money I have wasted on other skincare products. I have used her entire skincare line protocol for over 5 years with great love and success.I think you need to remember that her opinion is a GUIDE for recommendations not that her opinion is the only one to listen to. Listen to yourself, if you like it and can afford it..more power to you. I do think it deserves to be said that more average consumers need to read her books and read the reviews about the products you use though. I think her view on open jar containers, following a regimen of cleanse, tone, moisturize, and protect, and that you don't need a separate night cream or eye cream are worth every bit of hype she gives them. Those simple rules of basic skincare are fact based and fundamentally sound. Her own line of makeup is not my favorite, but like I said earlier, follow your own intuition. Who else spends millions on rating other people's products, and yet has their own lines as well. {No one else.} You owe it to yourself if you are reading this, to go to beautypedia to check it out. Your skin will thank you later.