November 21, 2014 | 1739 users online

Cleansers - Clinique - Redness Solutions Soothing Cleanser

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2011 3:29:00 PM More reviews by Bellona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used a sample of this and didn't like it at all. It did absolutely nothing to remove my makeup, and I don't even wear much (bronzing powder and mascara, that's it) so I can't imagine ladies with foundation and eye makeup loving this. It didn't reduce redness or help with any irritation either. It just pissed me off that after I cleansed with this I had to go find some soap to actually clean my face. Would never purchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2011 1:37:00 PM More reviews by aiyanaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this face wash despite the fact that it does nothing for redness. I would expect that more from a moisturiser and less from a cleanser anyway. This product does not irritate my super sensitive, rosacea skin at all, which is a miracle. I find that it cleans well while being very gentle. I also love that it is a makeup remover, unlike other clinique cleansers. It even removes mascara. You have to use it a bit generously but it lasts about 3-4 months. The tube is the only thing that annoys me. The cap is badly designed and squirts out a bit extra as well as being not entirely hygienic. Overall though, I'm a big fan.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2011 2:41:00 PM More reviews by Seattlemama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This has really worked for me. It definitely calms down my rosacea-prone, blotchy, on-the-dry-side skin and my skin looks better (less red) instantly after using. I do not use it for taking off eye makeup so I can't speak to its effectiveness for that. Love it and will definitely repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2011 3:48:00 PM More reviews by diamondtiara

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I paid for a travel size version of this, and I'm glad I didn't waste more money on a full size version instead!

I have mild rosacea. When I'm on birth control, my skin looks pretty good without makeup; minimal pinky-redness when I'm not on my period, generally cool skin, and some days I look positively pale! However, I'm ending my BC for a while, and my skin is a bit out of whack for the moment. (This has happened to me before, and it always takes a few weeks for my face to calm back down again.)

I figured this was the perfect time to try Clinique's Soothing Cleanser, so I could see if it really would calm or at the very least not irritate my skin. I've used it for two days now, and wasn't going to review it until one more day went by. However, I'm sitting here with annoyingly itchy skin - this is the same reaction I've had before with other Clinique products, like the Moisture Surge lotion, and, if memory serves me correctly, the Dramatically Different Moisturizer I used a decade+ ago.

I'm really disappointed in this product, because some of the raves on here, Sephora, and a few other random places online lead me to believe I'd have a good chance of being happy with the results. It does nothing to reduce redness from an immediate standpoint; I think my skin just feels better when I wash it with cool water. And now, of course, it's itching a bit, and I'm very aware that my skin FEELS different. Not tight, but definitely not like it usually does. I'm sort of considering going and washing this off with Dove - the only soap I can use on my skin! - and putting on some moisturizer, just to get rid of this weird feeling.

The texture of this product isn't great. It feels like I'm washing my skin with a thin, watery lotion. It doesn't foam or lather, and I'm sure it wouldn't remove face makeup at all. There's no scent, and I don't feel clean after washing with it, even though both times I've used it on bare skin that has had no makeup applied on it that day.

All in all, I would definitely not purchase this product again, nor will I be trying any of the other products in this line. I am now reminded why I stopped using Clinique skincare years before my rosacea even flared up! Save for their eye makeup remover and the acne spot healing gel I use for the occasional blemish, their products are just bad news for my skin. Viva la Dove soap!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/7/2011 5:52:00 PM More reviews by katpower

Got a sample size from the clinique counter, took it along on vacation since it was the perfect size. My face broke out (specifically my cheeks) almost immediatly! I have sensitive skin prone to flare ups on my cheeks but hadn't had the problem in more than 6 months. This had to be the culprit, didn't use it again ans the flare up was gone within 24 hours. Very disappointing. Guess that's why I don't ever buy Clinique, I should have known better.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/27/2011 8:36:00 PM More reviews by shovelbum89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I didn't hate this but I didn't love it enough to repurchase. It contained dye, to which I tend to be quite sensitive and it had a weird consistency. No thanks. There are plenty of drugstore cleansers that get the job done at a fraction of the cost- even with super-sensitive skin.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2011 9:01:00 PM More reviews by Pink_Starlette

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

IMO, this is as gentle as Cetaphil, but has a nicer more moist texture much like Mary Kay's Timewise cleanser for normal-dry skin. The MK cleanser has silly sparse exfoliation beads and has less quantity in the tube, oh and you have to buy it from a consultant. The previous two cleansers have been the best I could find for my skin. This Clinique cleanser beats them both. It's like the best of both worlds!

Pretty packaging, however I wish that the lid/cap was not so weird, has a very clean very gentle scent, a lovely cool cream gel formula, doesn't irritate or break me out, and it's easy to purchase from sephora or wherehaveyou. It is on the pricey side for a cleanser, but I'm willing to continue buying it because it's a rarity for me to find a great cleanser that both me AND my skin like :0)

Edit:

I've used almost 3/4 of the tube of this and over that time span I've realized that this breaks my skin out. From irritation, not from moisture. I get a slight warming feeling when I put this on my face and I am so disappointed that another cleanser MADE for sensitive skins would do this to me... I have given up altogether on regular cleansing and now only wear make up a couple times a week to prevent having to use a facial cleanser or soap of any kind. They all break me out. I now tone with Thayer's Alcohol free witch hazel in lue of cleansing on days I don't wear makeup and that gives me no irritation what so ever. I can use it as many times a day as I need or want!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/8/2011 9:29:00 AM More reviews by donna01010

No ability to cleanse the skin. Even if the skin does not have any makeup on it, this wont clean. This is nothing but a thick heavy cream and it will not rinse. It has to be wiped away. I used this 10 days and begin breaking out. (I am 50 and I NEVER break out cuz I have dry skin so go figure). Clinique recommends this product for all skin types 1, 2, 3 and 4. I would not recommend this product to anyone I know. I would be far better off to rinse my face with water than to use this. Packaging is horrible. when you close the cap you get additional product which causes you to use extra product. I cannot think of any use for this product at all. Will not purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2010 6:05:00 AM More reviews by LovelyNo5

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this cleanser! It takes all of my makeup off at night (yes, it says "démaquillant" on the tube, which means it takes off makeup also), yet it doesn't strip my skin or give me a dry feeling. It does exfoliate gently, just enough to clear the skin of dead cells, although thankfully it doesn't contain any grainy substance. After only a few days of using this my skin has become a lot clearer, calmer and my pores are tighter. I use this at night only. I smooth it over my face and then add a little water, just to make it a bit more slippery. Then I wipe it off with cotton pads and rinse my face with water. Together with the other products in the Redness Solution line this has helped my skin become less sensitive and to clear up. Great product.
ETA 11/29/2010: Yes, it's still a great product. Cleans my face and takes off all makeup without ever irritating or leaving my face dry. A definite HG cleanser for me!
ETA 2011/04/26: I ran out of this and thought I'd try the liquid soap and toner for a while. BIG mistake. While the soap was okay and felt good on my skin, the toner made my skin super sensitive after just 2 uses. It became red, dry, hot and irritated and I couldn't use any moisturizer for several days. What a nightmare. And that was the level 1 toner! I don't think I'll ever stray from the Redness Solutions products again. They work so well for me and my skin loves them.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2010 3:32:00 PM More reviews by oniononion

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the only facial cleanser I have used to date that doesn't give me a tightening feeling on my cheeks. Since using it paired with the Redness Solutions Daily Relief Cream I haven't had a flair up after cleansing. Clinique's facial cleanser for sensitive skin and foaming cleanser are both way to harsh for me, so if sensitive facial cleansers are really drying on you then this may work for you.