October 23, 2014 | 1448 users online

Styling Products - TRESemme - Thermal Creations Volumizing Mousse

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2010 7:09:00 PM More reviews by Breve

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm surprised by all the rave reviews for this product. I got it because of all the love it got here on MUA but I was sorely disappointed. I wasn't looking for a miracle mousse by any means, but it did not meet my expectations. BTW my hair is fine. dry and wavy. When it dries naturally it kind've just hangs on my head, so I need to blow dry it to give it any body.

The Pros:

Does not leave a sticky, stiff or product residue like feeling like some styling products do. I just used it for the first time and my hair feels "normal". You can't feel any product in it.

Cons:

Volumizing, really? I got barely any volume from this product. My Matrix amplify volumizing root spray works WAY better than this stuff. Of course it is more expensive but maybe that's why. I don't know if I should even bother trying any more drugstore hair products, Like drugstore makeup, I come to it with not expecting much, and STILL it doesn't even meet my low expectations.

-Left my hair kind've dull looking. Usually when I use a hair product it will leave my hair a little shinier even if that wasn't in the product description. This stuff just makes my hair look dry after I'm done blowdrying.

I only know of one other drugstore hair product that works decently (Garnier Nutrisse sleek and shine deep conditioning mask), but I'll save that for another review. I guess I'm going to stick with buying salon products when I can afford it so I don't waste any more money on sub-par products.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2010 3:07:00 PM More reviews by MichieKrum

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Typically I love Tresemme, but not this mousse. It definitely gives volume, but it leaves my hair so stiff. I like a more natural feel to my hair. I can feel the product in my hair and it moves as one big blob. I was very disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2010 5:13:00 PM More reviews by dlbd2k06

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am absolutely loving this mousse. It gives my very straight, somewhat fine hair a ton of volume. Even better, IMO, it helps my hair hold curl big time. I usually curl my hair with a curling iron after blowdrying, using a curl holding spray. It looks good for a few hours and then falls out. Since I have been using this prior to blowdrying, My curls stay in all day, and even the next day my hair will still have a little curl left in it. Also, the price is great, very inexpensive.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2010 1:24:00 AM More reviews by condiment

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Great mousse that makes my hair voluminous but not in that "I just spent an hour teasing my hair" sort of way, but in a natural thick hair sort of way. I don't know how well it would work on anyone with fine hair, but on my already thick hair, it gives me the volume on top that I need .

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2009 6:56:00 PM More reviews by canipej

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the only so called volumizing mousse that has ever actually worked for me. I have a bob that reaches a couple of inches below my chin, with lots of fine hair. This stuff makes a noticeable difference for me when I use it - people comment on how much fuller it looks. It definitely requires a finishing spray, but this is not a problem for me, since I have fine hair I've always had to use hairspray of some kind. I recommend taking a day off from it every once in a while, as it seems like it could weigh your hair down.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/9/2009 10:10:00 PM More reviews by budapest

Hm, this mousse is sorely lacking in the hold & definition department. I prefer volumizing mousses to curl enhancing ones for my curls because they tend to leave my hair less sticky but this one really gives my hair no definition whatsoever. It seems like other reviewers are haveing good luck with it when they use it before blowdrying with a brush, but for those of you who are looking to use this mousse to define waves and curls, i think there are better products out there.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2009 2:25:00 AM More reviews by Indrawn

I have long, fine, very layered hair which I like to tease, but I'm always looking for ways to give it that extra bit of volume. Previously I had been using the regular mousse for 'extra body' but I felt it could be better. So! After reading the reviews here on how wonderful the Thermal Creations mousse was, and it had added protection from heat (recently I've been getting a lot of split ends) I decided to give it a try. I was a bit put off that it cost $10 (Australian) for only a mousse, but anyway.

I had high expectations for this product that weren't really met. The volume was good (looked like I had already teased my hair) and I thought perhaps this was my solution - I wouldn't need to do the whole backcomb/hairspray thing again, which takes forever - and I quickly tried to lock it in with Tresemme freeze hairspray. But unfortunately after a few minutes it had already gone flat. ):

And I really hated how you have to turn it upside down to dispense the stuff, it was difficult to manage with sticky hands from the mousse. Also the bottle didn't say anything about PROTECTION from heat, it just said it worked with heat to create (temporary) volume. Alas, I had to get out my teasing comb again.

I don't think I'll be repurchasing this again unless I can confirm it DOES protect my hair from blowdrying. And unless I can figure out how to make the volume last for more than a few minutes.

A tip for making this product work: Massage generous amounts of mousse into the roots of your hair. Blowdry in layers with a barrel brush, or just upside down. After you've finished, quickly apply a light hairspray to all layers, tip head upside down and HOLD IT THERE for a few minutes. Or just gather your hair in a vertical ponytail (think spring onion) for a few minutes. :)

EDIT: This product is starting to grow on me, I use it daily. Although my split ends are still as plentiful as ever.

- - -
PRICE [3] $10 AUD | PACKAGING [3] | REPURCHASE [yes]

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2009 4:04:00 PM More reviews by Diana4

LOVE THIS!!!!!!! I am so excited that I found a mousse that works and it has HEAT PROTECTION! I use it when I blow dry my hair and it does add a ton of voulme to my non-volumey hair! =)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2009 2:05:00 PM More reviews by zomgblah

I was desperately searching for something to give my lifeless hair a boost and grabbed this at my local Kroger. I really like it! The smell is amazing and the volume I got was exactly what I was looking for; lots of it, but not enough to make it unnatural. My hair is left soft, shiny, and smelling great. The only thing I don't really like about it is that you have to use heat to get any result (hence the 'Thermal') and somedays I am too lazy to use a blowdryer. All in all, this is my go to product for volume!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2009 5:46:00 PM More reviews by lilsuelaine

For what it does, i really like it. I just wish that it had more lasting power, because if i want my style to have any lasting power, i need to finish with another spray. I was hoping it could stand on it's own, but it simply just can't. For those who complain about the texture, if you put it into your hair while it is still dry, duh, it's going to be really crunchy. In conclusion, if you are looking for a mousse to put into wet hair that will add volume and protect with a blow dry, this is a good value.