August 29, 2014 | 1199 users online

Concealers - Smashbox - Photo Op Under Eye Brightener

rated 3 of 5 on 2/2/2011 2:28:00 PM More reviews by jcl925

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I received this as a sample and this was just a so-so highlighter for under the eyes. It's definitely not a concealer. It's a sheer peachy liquid that completely disappeared and I didn't see much under eye brightening for my complexion, nor did it help with the dark circles. I'm an NC35 for reference. I have better results with YSL and Benefit's versions.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/22/2011 2:08:00 AM More reviews by betteefelon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This product was recommended to me to brighten up my undereye area, but it did not seem to do much for me there. That said, the salesperson who recommended this to me was a person of color, so maybe it's a skintone matter -- the salesperson said it was one of his favorite products and did not seem to be trying to sell it to me. We were having a good conversation about products, and I mentioned a good product to him (DDF's body scrub with glycolic), and then he mentioned this product in return as his personal fave. Anyway, maybe worth a try for folks with a darker skin tone, but for me, since I have fair-ish skin and dark undereye circles, I need more coverage and it didn't do the trick.

So... I sometimes use it as a highlighter on my cheekbones or in the cupid's bow above my lip. I probably won't buy it again since it's not really ideal for any of those things.

Description: sheer, sparkly peachy-goldish liquid. Comes with a small brush applicator. Goes on VERY sheer, not really any coverage. I think it basically works by adding a sheer gold sheen to the skin, making it a little reflective and sparkly.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2011 7:54:00 PM More reviews by hwnpunch

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I hate this product for under my eyes. It accentuates any dark circles and I swear it creates fine lines and makes me look exhausted. It can be used as a brightener over a decent under eye concealer but it doesn't impress me that way either. The color is just off to me. I do use it sometimes to highlight my cheek bones so I gave it a lippie. Glad I got this in a kit because I would have returned it otherwise.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2011 10:49:00 PM More reviews by chatterboxlee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have mixed feelings about the photo op. I bought this as a brightener and not a concealer so I wasn't really expecting 'concealer results'. Which I think is one of the reasons why this product got low ratings.

Anyway, whenever I put this under my eye, it kinda accentuates the undereye lines I have so I just put it on the inner corner, my cheekbones, and above my brows for that 'glow'. If you don't have lines under your eyes, I think this will do great!

I'm telling you now- it'll never work as a concealer. It's too watery, and dries into a dewy sort of look. So don't buy this if it's a concealer you're looking for.

But if you want a highlighter- this works! Very natural finish. Pretty buildable too. If you want a more obvious highlight, don't tap/spread the product too much.

Packaging: Product 'squirts' out a bit to the tip of the tube and spreads all over the cover.

Won't buy again coz this is the first highlighter I bought. I'd like to try others like Benefit's Moonbeam and Highbeam.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/2/2011 3:01:00 AM More reviews by sarahbaby0

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this product in a gift set from Sephora's. It is my least favorite product included by far. I was very disappointed in the misleading title of "under eye brightener." I have dark circles under my eyes and the overly-liquid and shimmer of this stuff did nothing to help brighten my eyes. It just made for awkward sparkles under my eyes that actually brought more attention to the dark circles.

boo smashbox.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/30/2010 4:07:00 PM More reviews by susanwylie67

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was so dissapointed in this product. The color was a bit off for me, so maybe it would have better results on a different skintone..but there are a million liquid highlighters out there that would do just as ,or a better job brightening this area. I have used BeneFit's highbeam for this before, and I like the results more. To me, this accentuated rather than diffused. Waste of money.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2010 12:24:00 AM More reviews by randadanna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was pretty wary of this product at first. I have pretty dark circles under my eyes and very oily skin. I thought this might make my concealer disappear. When my allergies act up or I am tired, the under eye darkness gets a lot worse. So one morning, in sheer desperation, I grabbed this and used it. I LOVED it. It didn't make my concealer disappear, it make it brighter. B/c of my oiliness, I can't wear liner under my eyes. But with this, I can! It's like a primer that keeps everything in it's place under my eyes, while UPPP keeps it all in place above the eye.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2010 9:43:00 PM More reviews by yoursisterdebra

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I received a sample of Photo Op several months ago with a Smashbox order. After reading the reviews here I was not expecting much... well, I am finally starting to run out of product in that little tube and I am definitely planning to purchase the full-sized item. As you can figure out, a little goes a long way and this product lasts forever. I have been using my sample 3-5 times a week since the beginning of the year and I am only now noticing it is getting low. When I first saw Photo Op, I was concerned that it was way too dark and peach for my extremely fair skin (lighter than NW5). I have extremely dark undereye circles that are largely the result of my skin being so pale/translucent -- you can see every single vein. If I apply enough concealer to cover the darkness completely, it looks cakey and weirdly opaque against my translucent skin. Enter Photo Op -- I use this before my Lancome Effacernes concealer (great stuff). I don't know that Photo Op is *obviously* brightening but it does somehow make my undereye area just look "better" without being too orange or shimmery. It also diffuses the "obvious concealer" look. I can see where ladies with skin darker than mine would be very disappointed in this product but it works well for me. Perhaps even better than the "brightening" effect is the priming effect I get from Photo Op. My skin is dry and my undereye area can get very dry/crepey looking; in addition, my eyes are extremely sensitive and love to be randomly irritated by my eye cream/eyeshadow primer/concealer/etc. Since using Photo Op, my undereye dryness issues during the day are gone and I swear it helps to keep the sensitive skin around my eyes happy. I can also use any extra product on my cheekbones as a very subtle highlighter without any breakouts or irritation. I can definitely understand why this is not a product for everyone, but I have been pleasantly surprised by Photo Op and I am going to purchase the full-sized tube.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2010 12:46:00 PM More reviews by lilly116

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using this product for a couple of years and thought I would review it, since I thought it might be helpful for people with issues like mine. I am 48 so it is a struggle to find something as an undereye concealer that does not settle into fine lines. I do not have very dark circles, but I found I needed a little more help than my Clarins Instant Light Highlighter/concealer could provide (it is light, but works great for me with no cakiness or heaviness), plus, while that worked great in the more inner eye area, I found it settled into lines in the outer area (where I have a bit of blue veins showing, so I like to conceal them). I apply an eye moisturizer, let it sink in, then apply the Photo Op over the ENTIRE undereye area. I then apply the Clarins to the inner and mid-eye area. This highlighter covers the outer portion, and while some complain it is runny, I find it extremely hydrating such that it does not settle into the lines in the outer eye area, but brightens enough to make the veins not noticeable. It also makes the highlighter/concealer go on more smoothly in the inner corner. I stopped using it for awhile, partly just to see if I would notice a difference and because of the cost, and I went back. It does have shimmer, but I find it is not that noticeable with the concealer over. I am taking off one lippie because of the cost, even though it lasts quite a long time (like 9 mos to a year).

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/9/2010 4:29:00 PM More reviews by adama3

This is a horrible product. I don't really have darkness under my eyes but this acutally made me look like I had dark bags. Going back!